PDA

View Full Version : Kaminoan GATs Diorama

ACPin
07-15-2002, 12:38 AM
It's finally completed!

Kaminoan GATs (http://systems.figures.com/Features/index.html?show_article=35257&domain=sirstevesguide.com&dom=ss&domain_id=5)

Lmk what you think about it! :D

Looks like a program glitch from the news page and I can't get the pic to show up! :eek: The main link to the dioramas section works and all the pics are available for viewing. :cool:

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
07-15-2002, 04:29 AM
That is AWESOME!:eek:

-JediMaster-Yoda-
07-15-2002, 06:26 PM
THAT IS AWSOME!like hbh said

Tycho
07-15-2002, 10:32 PM
Wow!

I loved your Kamino Clone lab.

Questions: Questions: Questions:

I counted 36 Bacta Tanks. There could have been 38 or more. How many did you use? Is any of that Photoshop?

How much were the Bacta Tanks? I think I want to recreate this! It looks incredible!

How did you get the bubbling blue effect? Why does it look that way?

Where did you find those stands with the uprising circles? They are perfect! What is in the center tube? How does it bubble?

Did you ever think about switching heads on the Luke Bactas with some kind of dark haired figure - even possibly from a different toy line - to get the "Jango look" going?

Love your work!

Can't say enough about it, except to show a ton of friends this one!

DarthBrandon
07-15-2002, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by ACPin
It's finally completed!

Kaminoan GATs (http://systems.figures.com/Features/index.html?show_article=35257&domain=sirstevesguide.com&dom=ss&domain_id=5)

Lmk what you think about it! :D

Looks like a program glitch from the news page and I can't get the pic to show up! :eek: The main link to the dioramas section works and all the pics are available for viewing. :cool:

Man that's got to be one of the nicest custom diorama's I've seen to date. Like Tyco said tell us how you did this and that. It is really, really cool.

MikeAndTheBots
07-15-2002, 10:37 PM
I can answer one question for ACPin. He said it was hair gel in the tanks.

Tycho
07-15-2002, 10:47 PM
Then here's the follow-up questions:

How much hair gel did you use?

How much did that cost?

Does Luke get more girls now that his hair is sort of GQ'd?

Does the gel leak out of the playsets?

What will be the long term effect of using it this way? On the figure, playset, etc?

I got a serious mold condition by using some kind of gel - I forget what now - OH - the stuff that came in the Episode One Battle Bags in a plexiglass cube in which I did a Mon Calamari scene with Ackbar and Leia going jet skiing - there were good reasons for this and it is from the Jedi Academy books.

Anyway, mold started turning the blue gel brown, and I had to empty it all out, and throw away the plexiglass tank I'd made, as the stuff ruined the visibility into it. The figures and fish, and jet ski were all fine.

Meanwhile, I think you must wait 2 months to actually tell.

What brand of gel did you use? What size and type of container was convenient for pouring it into the bacta tank with?

Any errors with your trials that we should avoid?

LTBasker
07-15-2002, 10:58 PM
That looks great ACPin!

Tycho, most likely the background tanks were photoshopped cause if you look at the background ones, they're at the same tilted-looking angle as the single one in the foreground.

I would really love to do something like this. The FX-7's with the heads removed are a nice touch. Though you should've metallicized them too. ;)

ACPin
07-16-2002, 12:08 AM
Glad to know that you all liked it! :D Now on to Tycho's questions!

I counted 36 Bacta Tanks. There could have been 38 or more. How many did you use? Is any of that Photoshop?
I've actually used only eight Bacta tanks and the rest were different angles of the same set "cloned" using Photoshop. I really intended to use twice the number where there would have been two layers. The problem of supporting the top layer through the central chamber I could not resolve. The next best thing was just to use Photoshop to create the multiple layer effect of the tanks.

How much were the Bacta Tanks? I think I want to recreate this! It looks incredible!
Luckily, I managed to snag them from one TRU at $4.95 each. It was actually tempting to buy all of the remaining Leia deluxe for the same price, but that's another idea that I may have to revisit some other time.

How did you get the bubbling blue effect? Why does it look that way?
That's plain hair gel with the air bubbles built-in.

How much hair gel did you use? How much did that cost? What brand of gel did you use? What size and type of container was convenient for pouring it into the bacta tank with?
I used five containers of blue colored NY Looks Radical Gel (17.6 oz each) bought from a dollar store for a grand total of $5 for the eight Bacta tanks. No additional container required to pour the gel into the tank, I just poured it straight from it.

Does Luke get more girls now that his hair is sort of GQ'd?
That's Jango, not Luke and the bounty hunter always get the girls!

Does the gel leak out of the playsets?
The diorama has been on my work table for about a month now and haven't had any leakage problem. I did test out the Bacta tanks first with water to find out if there were any leaks.

What will be the long term effect of using it this way? On the figure, playset, etc?
Don't know and I don't intend to keep it that way. Since I'm about ready for my next project, I'll be dismantling it for storage in the next week or so. Wouldn't you want to actually view it in person so that you'll see how the overall effect under dim lighting conditions?

Where did you find those stands with the uprising circles? They are perfect!
Those are car battery terminal cleaner/brushes bought from another dollar store. I find a lot of odds and ends stuff from these stores which I can easily justify taking apart or do whatever I want to because they're cheap in the first place.

What is in the center tube? How does it bubble?
Ever saw the plastic aquarium tanks with the swimming plastic fishes? That's the Aquastick cylindrical tank I bought from Spencers. That's just water inside the central chamber and the base contains a motor that pumps air creating the bubbling effect with the water. There's several colors that rotate and I had to time my shots when the color was turning to blue.

Did you ever think about switching heads on the Luke Bactas with some kind of dark haired figure - even possibly from a different toy line - to get the "Jango look" going?
I answered this question in the previews thread and my answer was I initially thought about doing it. But buying more Jango just to cut off the head and replace Luke's head was going to be an expensive proposition plus I didn't really need it to make the diorama work. Looking back, I could probably have done one just for the close-up shots.

Any errors with your trials that we should avoid?
Only the first one I mentioned about not being able to create multiple layers.

mylow thehutt
07-16-2002, 12:24 AM
Wow I like how you painted every thing sliver very nice,how long did it take to do ALL of this nice work?

cameronmeiklejohn86
07-16-2002, 01:31 AM
My TRU has about 40 Luke in Tanks! I hope they go on sale soon!!!

Tycho
07-16-2002, 05:50 AM
Thank you for answering my questions ACPin. This was really interesting. We still might want to discover the long term effects of storing hair gel in Hasbro bacta tanks, but other than that, this was as informative as I'd hoped it to be.

(I like to make my dioramas next to permanent if I can - thus my concern)

ACPin
07-16-2002, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by mylow thehutt
Wow I like how you painted every thing sliver very nice,how long did it take to do ALL of this nice work?
The two colors that I wanted to show in this diorama are blue and metallic silver. It was a pain though when I had to shoot the pics because the lights were bouncing off the metallic silver finish and you can see that in some of the pics. Each Bacta tank and control panel took me about an hour each to paint.

Originally posted by LTBasker
The FX-7's with the heads removed are a nice touch. Though you should've metallicized them too.
Those are FX-0s which are the precursor to the FX series of droids! It was already in blue and silver so I did not have to change the color.

Originally posted by Tycho
I got a serious mold condition by using some kind of gel - I forget what now - OH - the stuff that came in the Episode One Battle Bags in a plexiglass cube in which I did a Mon Calamari scene with Ackbar and Leia going jet skiing - there were good reasons for this and it is from the Jedi Academy books.

Thank you for answering my questions ACPin. This was really interesting. We still might want to discover the long term effects of storing hair gel in Hasbro bacta tanks, but other than that, this was as informative as I'd hoped it to be.

(I like to make my dioramas next to permanent if I can - thus my concern)
I don't think you should worry about it that much since the gel container is also plastic. You may want to check though the expiration date which is two years in the gel that I used. The problem with the stuff that came with the E1 battle bags is that it causes a chemical reaction when exposed to water from powder to turn into gel. Thus it's unstable and definitely would attract mold.

JediTricks
07-17-2002, 04:12 AM
Nice work indeed AC! Very creative, this concept might also make for a makeshift Mount Tantiss*Sparti-cylinder diorama. Just get a few different Luke figs to spar, a Mara, and whip up a nutty ol' Joruus C'baoth figure and you've got some fun.

ACPin
07-18-2002, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Nice work indeed AC! Very creative, this concept might also make for a makeshift Mount Tantiss*Sparti-cylinder diorama. Just get a few different Luke figs to spar, a Mara, and whip up a nutty ol' Joruus C'baoth figure and you've got some fun.
Nah, I'll leave that up for somebody else to do. There's quite a few more dios that I'd like to do if I could only find the right accessories!

I almost forgot about the lights! Each bacta tank is lighted from the bottom which creates the glowing effect on the gel. :D

Master Plo- Koon
07-18-2002, 12:26 PM
Thats an amzing diorama, would be really cool to later have a scene with Jango watching Obi Wan having the tour of the whole Cloning complex, accompanied by Lamu Su and Taun We.:)