PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have the new Classic Star Wars: A Long Time Ago... Vol. 1 TPB?

KingOfSting
07-15-2002, 12:51 AM
hey i was just curious if anyone has this item as it was supposedly released towards the end of june but none of the comic stores around here have it nor have they any idea when they will be getting in...also i think vol. 2 was supposed to be availble on july 10...anyone have these or have any idea where the hell they are?

icatch9
07-15-2002, 08:44 AM
What's the story about? I haven't heard of this one. Could you explain it a little more, thanks :)

Bel-Cam Jos
07-15-2002, 01:28 PM
I believe these are the reprints of the entire Marvel Comics run. But I don't remember if the three Annuals were to be included in these volumes, nor if #1-6 (Star Wars) or #39-44 (Empire Strikes Back) are as well, since they've been reprinted many a time.

I don't care, because I'm just missing #99, 103, and 105 to complete the set.

icatch9
07-15-2002, 02:44 PM
I'd be interested in such a thing. A TPB of all the old comics would be nice refernce. Even though some of it doesn't make since and there's talking walking green bunny wabit.

KingOfSting
07-15-2002, 03:05 PM
there are seven or eight volumes total, reprinting star wars #1-107 and the three annuals (for some reason the ROTJ mini series isnt going to be reprinted). i belive each volume has 14 or 15 issues...so back to the question...anyone have this yet or know when the release dates been changed to?

JediCole
07-20-2002, 10:37 AM
Yes, the first volume from Dark Horse is out. The second has not yet shipped, but will arrive in comic shops next week. Volume I reprints Star Wars #1-20 (the first six were Marvel's adaptation of the movie) and I believe that the second issue reprints #21-40, but I will not know until my copies arrive on Wednesday.

The cover price for both of these massive volumes is $29.95 each. If you are unable to find them anywhere, I should be able to restock within a week or so and can get them at 10% off cover price plus shipping (the discount is to offset the shipping charges). Please let me know ASAP so I can place the order with my distributor. I have reordered on copy of Volume I and II already, in anticipation of a Toy Show in August where I sell. I only bought one copy each for stock, but got nostalgic and wound up buying the one copy of Volume I for myself. I've read all but two issues (this saves the delicate task of rereading my collection of original editions of the individual issues, something I had planned to attempt before Dark Horse was goodly enough to announce this Trade Paperback series). So naturally, I will buy my copy of Volume II, but I can wait until my reorders arrive if anyone wants to purchase the one I will hve on Wednesday.

And in hopes that one of my fellow Moderators does not feel compelled to move this post to the Classivied Ads section, I will give a few tidbits about what I call The ORIGINAL Expanded Universe. (I once jokingly complaned in an EU toy thread where posters were voicing their requests for EU characters from books, comics, and other media that needed the toy treatment, that no one seemed to be requesting characters from Marvel!)

If you have never seen the original Star Wars comic from Marvel, get ready for a blast from the past. In many ways the scripts were written down to kids, but in other ways they were rather sophisticated. There are a lot of goofy characters that no EU enthusiast would care to admit ever graced any aspect of the Star Wars universe, not the least of which was the seven-foot tall GREEN rabbit named Jaxxon who appeared in issues #7-10 (#7 was of course the begining of original, non-movie stories) and later, read it and weep, returned in issue #16! Yes, they brought him back! Issue #16 is also unique in that it is the only issue in the series (at least up to #20) that DOES NOT directly feature a single Star Wars character from the movies as a part of the plot propper. Images of Han, Chewie, Luke, Ben, Vader, Leia, R2, and 3PO appear as part of a visual mention that kind of ties the story to the movie in some way. Be sure to check out the disco bell-bottoms on Vader in this particular issue!

Other great things to look for are the occassional TIE Bombers (at least two years before TESB), or at least TIE Fighters drawn in such a way as to look exactly like TIE Bombers, a "water world" that predates Kostner's by at least a decade, Carmine Infantino's (artist on many later issues) penchant for "beards a yard wide", and even an issue that is mostly a "flashback" story to Luke's pre-ANH life on Tatooine!

Another noteable quirk that I had forgotten from my youth and collecting the original issues as they came out, was that for most of the series up until the adaptation of The Empire Strikes Back (issues #39-44), the principal characters NEVER seem to change clothes. Han is wearing his traditional fare in every issue, but then he was not much of one for outlandishly different costumes, but Luke maintians his "farmboy" duds and Leia her standard issue white dress and even the "Star Buns" hairdoo! It never occured to anyone to change the clohtes or hairstyles. Or perhaps that was a mandate from on high (LucasFilm). Regardless, it is funny how much variety (if memory serves) began to creep in after Empire!

Since Dark Horse has reprinted much (if not all) of the original Star Wars newspaper dailies of roughly the same period, the arrival of Staar Wars, A Long Time Ago is a welcome nod to a corner of the Star Wars universe that many fans under the age of 20 may never have known existed.

JediCole
07-20-2002, 10:45 AM
Well, after the above post, I took a look at the invoice from my distributor again and discovered that the next order catalog is also coming in on Wednesday. I looked at the text version to see what may be offered and found a listing of interest to those who are chekcing out this thread.

Star Wars A Long Time Ago Volume III will be shipping in October! Yes, we will have at least three volumes (if not as many as four) before the end of the year!

Deoxyribonucleic
07-20-2002, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by KingOfSting
hey i was just curious if anyone has this item as it was supposedly released towards the end of june but none of the comic stores around here have it nor have they any idea when they will be getting in...also i think vol. 2 was supposed to be availble on july 10...anyone have these or have any idea where the hell they are?

My friend got his copy a couple of weeks ago but I haven't seen them out and about in the comic stores. They are really nice looking but I have all the original ones so I think I will pass on these.

I think my friend ordered it from Barnes and Noble.

KingOfSting
07-20-2002, 04:56 PM
thanks, for all of your replies guys, ill be sure to be on the lookout for them, the guy at my comic shop says hell probably be getting in volume one at the end of the month ::crosses fingers::