PDA

View Full Version : Should Hasbro make figures from the new Knights of the Old Republic Video Game?

Tycho
07-15-2002, 05:28 AM
With the Knights of the Old Republic coming to video gaming, should Hasbro make Expanded Universe figures to go with it?

Here's what some could look like! (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=134651)

You can learn more about this game, and all other LucasArts video games, see reviews, and find out their release dates at Star Wars Knights.com (http://www.starwarsknights.com)

The True Maul
07-15-2002, 06:25 AM
That sounds real cool can't wait to see if they are made :)

Magic-Middle
07-15-2002, 06:51 AM
I say the more figures the better - I would love to see more EU figures!

Quite-Gone Jim
07-15-2002, 07:08 AM
How about a maybe vote. I'd rather have figures from the movies (especially ones with speaking lines), but these figures would be much better than nothing. I agree they look pretty cool, but if it comes to a choice between movie and EU figures, I have to choose the movie figures.

Tycho
07-15-2002, 07:44 AM
There's not really a maybe category on these.

I offered the "yes choice" and made it state that if this could be done, it would not interfere with movie figures being made.

If you prefer EU from comics or books and definitely don't want these, then vote that.

If you can't stand EU at all, there's a choice for that too.

Meanwhile, Hasbro would miss an opportunity to do figures for a new release video game when it's popular, same as they seem to be letting the opportunity that's the New Jedi Order pass them bye. So they'd want to do the figures now-or-never IMO.

They do NOT have any plans to make these.

Honestly, I don't know these characters or I'd have labeled their names. There's no agenda here for me, as it relates to my wanting them or not. I haven't played the game, don't know the characters, and can't say if I like the story - which is the most important part.

If they were made, the non-EU fans could use them as extra Jedi in an arena battle diorama, or patrons in the Outlander Night Club and worker droids in the Geonosis factories. Those Star Tours droids are great, aren't they?

The other motive on this poll was that on this previous poll that we did on what our readers collect (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10066), the next largest category of interest next to toys was Star Wars video games. The interest was shown there by miles!

So I thought I'd offer something new from video games as a poll for action figures. The Knights of the Old Republic seemed like a good choice given the fact that other pilot games have limited characters and concentrate more on ships. 1st person shooters are often one-and-the-same with Kyle Katarn, who's had an action figure made. So this would be a little different.

I also thought that if people want figures from comics and books, that a much larger body of our readers who show more interest in video games, would want their figures made, too.

Again, the timing is critical on these. It wouldn't be worth doing at all after Hasbro had expired the approximately 70 more Classic movie figures they could make, and about so many prequel movie figures they still could do from the more recent films.

The line would lose over 50% of current collectors' interest, our past poll shows. By spreading out their cantina aliens and new characters from the Galactic Senate, Hasbro increases the lifespan of their franchise. That's my theory anyway.

SNAYSON
07-15-2002, 08:26 AM
i for it if figures where to be made

brentfett
07-15-2002, 08:28 AM
Sorry, but not into these. Hasbro has WAY more figures to make before they make these things.

Vortex
07-15-2002, 08:53 AM
I'd like to see these before any other EU figs.

At least here we have a definite picture to go off of, unlike other EU figs that are artistically made from a novel or comic.

I'd just ask they do a better job than what they did on Kyle, and the Dark Trooper...those looked nothing like their video game counterparts.

Darth Tornado
07-15-2002, 09:45 AM
I dont think they should any and all expanded universe stuff sucks. I believe it is a waste of time to make these figures especially off of a video game. The fact that the EXU stormtrooper got voted on as fan choice figure really makes me mad it shouldnt of been up for a vote in the first place. Every EXU thing I seen in stores stayed there for months on end and these KOTOR figures will do the same and stores will begin to stop ordering star wars figures again(it was the mass production of EP1 toys that stopped the Wal Mart here from ordering the POTJ line as they had the stuff on the shelves forever and EXU figures would do the same thing).:mad:

jeffonthego
07-15-2002, 10:09 AM
Let me first say that if Hasbro wants to make it and people want to buy it, then so be it.

I don't know, maybe I'm getting figure fatigue, as we head down the final stretch to the last movie (and inevitably the end of the figures?).

What makes the enthusiasm hard to sustain, is that it takes so long to get the figures I want into stores. Take AOTC, there are so many key figures (ie, important characters) that we are waiting for and will have to wait quite awhile for.

So every time I see more repetitive figures (more Qui-Gon, Sith training, etc) or more obscure figures (take your pick), I get frustrated.

Basically, my point to Hasbro is do the important figures that people want to complete key movie scenes, etc. Then if you still want to make figures, and you still have customers to buy them, then sure, go crazy on obscure and "expanded universe" crazy.

But with AOTC only out two months, and so many characters not even in sight yet, personally, I don't want to hear any more about expanded universe!

:crazed:

sunblind
07-15-2002, 10:50 AM
I didn't know some of the Old Republic were robots? They're not Jedi are they?

jedi master sal
07-15-2002, 11:02 AM
Sorry to be the voice of dissention BUT.....

There are plenty more figures from the movies to make that have never been made (especially those with speaking lines) and there are those who haven't been remade that should have been by now.

Before Hasbro goes making another SW line with characters that not so many people know about they should first complete the Original Trilogy and Prequel Trilogy Lines. Then maybe reissue some for those who missed out including some of the previous EU like Grand Admiral Thrawn and Mara Jade. These characters had integral roles in the formation of the SW universe after the movies. Not to say that your suggestions aren't important just not now. Let's get what the general collecting community and the general public at large wants then Hasbro can see if there is TRULY a market for "new" EU.

I for one would hate to see the line die and Hasbro have made these figs (old republic knight) when they might not make at the very least, OT figs that should be made/remade/reissued.

While we collectors would jump at the chance, kids would not unless they were particularly steeped in SW lore. The casual fan who has liked SW since 1977 probably wouldn't get these either because they are unfamiliar with them. Remember while we are the "force" that keeps the line alive, kids and casuals fans have a big part in the market as well and Hasbro knows that.

Maybe after all is said and done we could get these and maybe some Yuzon Vong (SP?) (I haven't read any of the New Jedi Order to know how to spell this race's name).

I hope those that vote aren't just jumping on the bandwagon because it is the popular vote. Please consider what I have said. This is the practical solution.

Thank You and as always......
MTFBWY!

corporal AMF
07-15-2002, 11:26 AM
jedi master sal wrote:
There are plenty more figures from the movies to make that have never been made (especially those with speaking lines) and there are those who haven't been remade that should have been by now.

Before Hasbro goes making another SW line with characters that not so many people know about they should first complete the Original Trilogy and Prequel Trilogy Lines. Then maybe reissue some for those who missed out including some of the previous EU like Grand Admiral Thrawn and Mara Jade. These characters had integral roles in the formation of the SW universe after the movies. Not to say that your suggestions aren't important just not now. Let's get what the general collecting community and the general public at large wants then Hasbro can see if there is TRULY a market for "new" EU.

Couldn't agree more, there a lot of things to do,to resculpt from 5 different movies, so let's stick to the movies, Thrawn & Jade were the most reconocible figures of the EU and believe no other could match them, ...the only ones that I find proper are Early Designs, or concept figures.
Just MHO

Tonywankenobi
07-15-2002, 12:36 PM
I voted yes! I wish they would make figures for the Starfighter and Jedi Starfighter also.

Vortex
07-15-2002, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by jedi master sal

I agree with part of what you just said, but I want to throw in the other side of the coin here with a little "kids vs. collector" bit.

Right now Hasbro is geared toward kids. The last part of this year, next year, and the months leading up to the next movie is geared toward us collectors. We'll be getting obscure figs like E. Mon, Secura, and background figs...kids don't collect those figs, they don't know and most probably don't care either, since their attention point has switched to something else. I don't know about you, but I never wanted prune face as a kid since I never seen him in ROTJ. His play value to me was a big zero. Even today when I look at him, I think they could have done some one else instead and I would have been happy...

The game is about to be released and what a better marketing push to toss out some figs to go with it. At least the kids would know who these figs are since they are playing the game. The figs would sell the game, and the game would sell the figs. The market would probably be small, but a few extra sales wouldn't hurt. Plus there's already an image and look to these new figures, unlike words that describe Thrawn, Mara, and the Space Trooper...

These would have more of an attraction for the kids than some Imperial General or Rebel Officer that said 2 words on screen. Remember these figs are still geared towards the kids right now, and play value is key at the moment. Some officer, admiral, or some obscure fig isn't going to sell well with the kids. With us collectors, sure, but hasbro is still pushing this stuff for the kids since the movie is still fresh.

As for EU figs, I still find it difficult to get into this and support it. I personally would like to see more EU stuff, but again the 1st runs were disapointments, even the EU ships where lame and collected dust on the shelves. Its going to be hard to get the collector bandwagon on board for this, and even harder for the sculpters to come to some happy medium ground as to what a character looks like. The people, ships, and aliens in all the novels are open for creative interpretation. Every Star Wars Gamer, The RPG guides, Encyclopedia, Essential Guide to this or that has a differnt image for all the major players in the EU universe. The design team has as differnt idea of what something looks like compaired to the author and the reader...EU could be a huge flop if they didn't let us vote on the figs.

I do agree that they have others to concentrate on making right now and ones to re-do, but adding these to the list wouldn't be that bad right now. Would be nice to have a filler while we wait for months just for 2 new figs.

aikman
07-15-2002, 03:28 PM
What a horrible poll.

Obviosly, asking if people want xyz character made is always a resounding yes, no matter what the figure.
Id imagine most people have no clue who the 'knights of the repub' even are.

Sadly these poll ideas seem to be running pretty low...

jedihunter25
07-15-2002, 03:59 PM
I voted NO!!!! My reason- Hasbro hasn't even finshed the orginal Kenner remake line of figures. There are still ALOT of characters like General Riekin and R1-G4 from the classic trio that have not been made. We still have ALOT from TPM and of corse AOTC. The concept Stormtrooper is a joke compared to characters in the movies like the Imperial Dignitaries and Riekin. So are the people that are saying yes to EU- are saying they would have rather have EU instead of Poggle the Lesser and Wat Tambor? Because that's what it boils down to. Hasbro WILL push these figures aside (or delay) to make EU. WHY HAVE AN EU CONCEPT CLOUD CAR WHEN YOU CAN HAVE THE ONE FROM THE MOVIE!!!!!

nack5811
07-15-2002, 04:06 PM
I would love to see new characters. I think Hasbro makes too many of the same character.

stillakid
07-15-2002, 04:23 PM
Sure, why not. Just as long as they don't interfere with production of characters from the movies, that is.

Lord Tenebrous
07-15-2002, 04:27 PM
Knights of the Old Republic has too many variables as far as figure creation. A much better idea would be to include a mail-in vote with the upcoming Star Wars: Galaxies. The most popular species gets a special edition action figure.

Male or Female:

* Bothan
* Human
* Mon Calamari
* Trandoshan
* Twi'lek
* Rodian
* Wookie
* Zabrak

I'd imagine Wookie would win, but a Rodian, Bothan, or Twi'lek would probably sell well, too. The figure would work as either a person's game character, or just a generic background alien. Also, a smaller pool of choices allows for stronger fan support, and better sales.

Adam
07-15-2002, 05:37 PM
I voted yes, but they need to make a Corran Horn figure before ANY of those.

Jangu Fett
07-15-2002, 05:44 PM
THEY SHOULD, BUT ONLY FOR THE ACTION FLEET. OH WAIT, THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT THE ACTION FLEET, THE WAY WE WANT THEM. WITH FIG. SO WHY WOULD THEY( HASBLOW) CARE ABOUT WHAT EVERYONE ELSE WANTS?

metaljedi
07-15-2002, 11:15 PM
Man, you have a poll that has DIFFERENT characters in it and everyone whines that "They haven't made THIS and THAT why should they make THIS". It's STAR WARS!!! Who cares where it's from?! Yes, I want them to make a General Rieeken and YES I would love them NOT to make 12 different Luke/Anakin Skywalker figures out of one movie. So why not make something different for a change? They DON'T have to make EVERY character, a few would be great!

jeffonthego
07-16-2002, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by jedi master sal
Sorry to be the voice of dissention BUT.....

I for one would hate to see the line die and Hasbro have made these figs (old republic knight) when they might not make at the very least, OT figs that should be made/remade/reissued.

Thank You and as always......
MTFBWY!

I have a feeling that many people seem to think these toys are going to last forever.

While the movies are going to go out with a bang in 2005, it is likely that these toys will go out with a whimper by 2007 I'd guess (judging by ROTJ).

It's just my opinion, but I'd say there are 4-5 "good" years left in this line of toys. That isn't long, when we only have the first few waves of EpII and the whole EpIII line to go.

Throw in a whole cast of past movie characters that still deserve to be (re)done, and I'd say there is no time now for EU.

Basically, the way I see it, every figure that is made, is another figure that won't get made. Sounds obvious perhaps, but I think a lot of people have this impression, that Hasbro will get around to every figure eventually. I don't.

metaljedi
07-16-2002, 01:59 AM
The only figures that need to be done are figure that haven't been made. Figures that have been in the POTF2-Saga line DON'T need to be redone. We keep getting more and more versions of Luke Skywalker. Granted the Bespin Duel is a decent one but do we need another Tatooine Luke or X-Wing Luke? I think the more versions we have of him the less we get to see decent figures put out.

Rheen
07-16-2002, 03:09 AM
BRING´EM ON!

jeffonthego
07-16-2002, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by aikman
What a horrible poll.

Obviosly, asking if people want xyz character made is always a resounding yes, no matter what the figure.
Id imagine most people have no clue who the 'knights of the repub' even are.

Sadly these poll ideas seem to be running pretty low...

Not to bash the person who created the poll, since after all it has generated enough interest to get us to talk about it, so that's half the battle.

However, do agree that it is a useless poll. People will say yes to anything, after all why not, let Hasbro make it.

Maybe better to ask if you would actually spend your money on it, or are you just curious to see Hasbro make it? Maybe that's too black and white, so maybe a scale of 5 (eg, very likely to buy, somewhat likely, maybe, not likely, no chance).

Another question might be. "Would you want Hasbro to make EU figures, even if it were at the expense of actual movie characters?" (after all one figure made, is another one rejected).

Or maybe, "Should Hasbro wait until after movie figures have had their run?". Or something to that effect.

In the end, making a poll question isn't easy I recognize, but have to try and do it so as force people to make a harder or more specific choice.

Hey, how about a poll on poll questions? ;)

Tycho
07-16-2002, 05:34 AM
Oh boy :rolleyes: - not this debate again. Myself personally, I wouldn't be quick to jump on the wagon to support these figures in particular. I did the poll because more people here (50% of our readers) have proven that interest in video games is higher than that in comics and books. 90% of you collect figures, and this is a toy collecting site. Thus while I'd prefer Expanded Universe from comics and books, only about 35% of you read them according to our polling of over 1000 readers here. So I made a poll for EU figures from a source the greatest number of you are interested in next to the movies. If Hasbro makes the figures, I'd buy them simply for extra characters in my dioramas.

I've now seen the Star Wars Galaxies online RPG website and some of its pending characters with thanks to Lord Tenebrous, and I must say, these would be great as extras in dioramas, too.

Now here's what most of you said you were interested in. (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10066)

And the percentages in the poll don't mean anything because multiple choices were allowed. So take the number of people voting for a category, and divide it by the total number of votes shown at the bottom (1250 people surveyed).

Meanwhile, resculpts will continue to happen. It allows the main characters to be accessable to new collectors and especially kids. Some children who will become fans were just born THIS year. They will be "ages 4 and up" when they become capable of playing with these toys and not choking on them.

How will they get a Lando Calrissian figure?

1) Their single mother has never seen Star Wars and doesn't collect.

2) They don't have a credit card, and if they did, aren't Online or know where to shop.

3) There isn't a swap meet or fan convention near them.

If they see Episode 4, how will they even get a Luke Tatooine?

Granted, I can't stand most resculpts, but I don't agonize over being a completist. If that's your hobby, great. If it is, then this goes with the territory (resculpts). If you can relax and enjoy your favorite figures without "having" to have every single thing released (in other words figures in action poses and resculpts) then you can forget these and relax and continue enjoying your hobby.

As to figures left to do, there seems to be a limited number from the Prequels and amazingly enough, way more to do from the Classic trilogy. Anyone notice that? (It's the cantina and Jabba's Palace that contribute to this more than anything else).

And you bet I'd like to see the majority made from all of these movies!

jedi-cpa
07-16-2002, 07:22 AM
I don't want EU figs because they put them out in too short a supply and don't want to give the scalpers another excuse to hose the collectors.

JediTricks
07-16-2002, 08:33 PM
The only thing I have to say on this is I really wish Hasbro had made a series of figures from Dark Forces and DF2:Jedi Knight. The Kyle Katarn series of games is absolutely one of the best video game series to ever hit the market, the newest addition to the saga - Jedi Outcast - is already quite popular and has a lot of happy fans. I personally think Jedi Knight is the place to start with, since it's such a timeless staple in the gaming world, it's fun AND it's great Star Wars, but Hasbro didn't go with anything except that fairly poor EU Kyle figure.

IMO, I think Knights of the Old Republic is simply not yet a "proven" game and so if Hasbro releases product and it tanks, it'll bury any chance for other SW game-related figures.

Janzeke Khan
07-17-2002, 08:10 PM
I think they should make EU figs. I mean why not I know I regret not being on top of the Dark Empire and Shadows of the Empire figs when they came out in 97-98 now I can't find them anywhere (In stores). All the Characters are in some way important, but they should really stop making Qui-Gon, the X-wing Pilot Luke’s and Greedo’s and focus on Chars that don't have figs. I know I would love to see Chars Vilmarh Grahrk and NT, and many others chars that play some part in SW history.

Since we're into the Final years of the old Jedi order they should make any Jedi from EU, many of those that don't read the comics wouldn't know the difference because they where more then likely present during the Arena battle. Maybe I'm getting to far ahead of the movies but some chars that where in EU after the death of the Emperor should have figs made like Vima-Da-Boda and Empatojayos Brand (Younger versions of course) because they where able to survive being captured by Vader.

As far as characters from the novels and not knowing what they should look like they should pick an actor/actress or a fan as the base models for the figs. I say fan because there less likely to want money out of it. A lot of fans I know would be honored to be immortalized as a SW character.

TEE KAY-421
07-18-2002, 01:29 AM
EXPANDED UNIVERSE???????????????

I'd rather have 100 different Luke Skywalkers than to waste my $ on figures which have nothing to do with Episodes 1-6.

Although some people obviously enjoy the "expanded universe", I think it's a not so subtle way of cashing in on the Star Wars brand name.

Sorry EU fans!

metaljedi
07-18-2002, 04:32 PM
We have 100 different Luke Skywalkers. By the way Star Wars is more than just the movies.

jedi master sal
07-19-2002, 11:10 AM
While that is true that Star Wars has grown to be more than just the movies....Figures that are not popularized by them is a hard sell. Only those hard core (and I'm one of them) fans would consider buying these. I actually passed on Kyle Katarn at first, because I had no idea who the heck he was. Only after getting the game did I deem him worthy enough to be in my collection. I'm afraid that while this poll shows a majority of people would buy these figs...it only shows that of collectors and not the general populace, who you should be able to reasonably agree would not buy these figs.

Hasbro is in this for the money but I highly doubt they would make short runs of figures just so the collectors could get them.

Take for instance the fan choice figures ie Amanaman, Ellors Madak (sp?). These came out in droves and are still clogging up the pegs in some stores. And some stores are becoming increasingly annoyed by the lack of sales because of it. Also it's not profitable for Hasbro to make them in small quantities. When this lines dies (and unfortunately it will) I don't want it to be remembered for lack luster or too obscure figures.

I'd still love to see figs from the movies who need to be either made for the first time or remade from the vintage line who as of yet don't have a "new" fig.

To be quite honest I think Hasbro SHOULD come out with at least the main characters again, giving the chance for newer collectors to get these figs. I don't want resculpts just as much as the next guy but this only seems fair to the collecting community at large.

scruffziller
07-22-2002, 01:48 AM
IT"S ALL STAR WARS BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO EU!!!!!!!!! Right Dar 'Argol!!!!

scruffziller
07-22-2002, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by TEE KAY-421
EXPANDED UNIVERSE???????????????

I'd rather have 100 different Luke Skywalkers than to waste my $ on figures which have nothing to do with Episodes 1-6.

Although some people obviously enjoy the "expanded universe", I think it's a not so subtle way of cashing in on the Star Wars brand name.

Sorry EU fans!
AH But not everything EPS 1-6 is all just from the movies. Some of it is EU, you got Shadows of the Empire and all the Inbetweequel novels what about those HUH HUH....:evil: