PDA

View Full Version : Spider-Man DVD News & Specs!!

Beast
07-15-2002, 02:46 PM
Specs and a confirmed release date have just been released for the big summer hit, "Spider-Man". It's going to be a 2-disc set and will be available 11/1 in 3 editions, a regular widescreen, regular fullscreen, and a Special Widescreen Deluxe Collector's Gift Set. The Collector's Edition will contain a exclusive re-print of "Amazing Fantasy" #15 in which Spider-Man made his world debut. No other news on what will be included in the Collector's Gift Set. I'll be likely getting that, after all I'm a sucker for Special Giftsets. After all, I am getting the LOTR's 5-disc set with statues. Well, without further ado, here are the specs, from DVDReview.com:

Official word has come in from Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment on the highly anticipated Spider-Man which is still turning a respectable profit at the theaters. The web slinger will come to DVD at the beginning of November with three separate releases.

Spider-Man centers on student Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) who, after being bitten by a genetically-altered spider, gains superhuman strength and the spider-like ability to cling to any surface. He vows to use his abilities to fight crime, coming to understand the words of his beloved Uncle Ben: "With great power comes great responsibility."

And with great responsibility comes great DVDs. Columbia TriStar is releasing the film with three releases aimed at three different audiences. But don't worry, the features remain the same across the board, so no one will have to buy multiple copies.

Two versions of the DVD will be made with either an anamorphic widescreen transfer or a fullscreen transfer. A Deluxe Collector's Gift Set will include the widescreen version of the film as well as some extra goodies including a comic book reprint of "Amazing Fantasy" #15 in which Spider-Man made his world debut.

The remaining features on all three versions remain the same including Dolby Digital 5.1 in English and French, subtitled factoids, two audio commentaries, the first with director Sam Raimi, producers Laura Ziskin and Grant Curtis and actress Kirsten Dunst, the second with special effects designer John Dykstra and the visual effects crew, plus branching web-i-sodes, theatrical trailers, TV Spots, filmographies, character files,the music videos "Hero" and "What We're All About" and some extensive DVD-ROM content including a comic to feature comparison, commentary recorder and the Countdown to Spider-Man 2. And that's just disc one.

Disc two contains the HBO Making of Spider-Man featurette, the E! Channel special "Spider-Mania", profiles on Sam Raimi and composer Danny Elfman, screen tests for actors Tobey Maguire and J.K. Simmons plus the CGI Spider-Man costume and makeup tests, a gag/outtake reel, a conceptual art and production design gallery, the historical documentary - Spider-Man: The Mythology of the 21st Century, a Spider-Man comic book archives, a rogues gallery, The Loves of Peter Parker, a comic book artist pin-up gallery and hints and tips for the Activision game, which will help users with the playable DVD-ROM demo of the game for PC. Other ROM content includes three exclusive Marvel dot.comics and a Spider-Man: Visualizer.

All those features should keep the average web-head busy until the sequel pops up in theatres in a year or two. The discs will surface in stores on November 1st.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
07-15-2002, 02:56 PM
Kirsten Dunst Commentary track? "Oh now we're in this scene where that one thing happens, oh so that's what happened in that scene!!! Ok now here's the most important scene in the whole movie where me and Tobey kiss and you can see through my blouse!"

:p

I think I'll get the deluxe set, sounds pretty good. Any idea what the cost differences will be?

Beast
07-15-2002, 03:00 PM
No news on the prices yet LTBasker. I am going to assume probably 20-25 MSRP for the 2 regular editions, and maybe 40 or so for the Deluxe Gift Set. I'll keep my eye out for the actual prices. :)

Oh, here is a little more info on the Special Collector's Deluxe Gift Set from HomeTheaterForum.com. I'll also be posting images of the covers for both the Widescreen and Fullscreen versions. :)

Also available day and date will be a specially-packaged limited-edition Collector's DVD Gift Set featuring the widescreen special edition Spider-Man DVD and loaded with extras including a reprint of Marvel Comic's "Amazing Fantasy" #15 in which Spider-Man was created; an exclusive collectible drawing by former Spider-Man artist John Romita, Sr. and current Spider-Man artist John Romita, Jr.; a collectible numbered film cel from the movie; and more.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
07-15-2002, 03:15 PM
Spider-Man Widescreen DVD Case:

Beast
07-15-2002, 03:16 PM
Spider-Man Fullscreen (Pan & Scan) DVD Case:

Pendo
07-15-2002, 04:59 PM
Deluxe set for me, but is there any word on wether the Region 2 version is the same as Region 1 cause I hate it when they're different!!!

PENDO!

pthfnder89
07-15-2002, 05:44 PM
I knew they wouldn't do it, but I would still love to have seen them put the WTC teaser trailer on there. It's such a great commercial for the film.

But, obviously, this wasn't going to happen.:(

Overall sounds like a nice set. I hope in his commentary, Raimi goes a bit into what changes were made after Sept 11th.

Beast
07-15-2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by pthfnder89
I knew they wouldn't do it, but I would still love to have seen them put the WTC teaser trailer on there. It's such a great commercial for the film.

But, obviously, this wasn't going to happen.:(

Overall sounds like a nice set. I hope in his commentary, Raimi goes a bit into what changes were made after Sept 11th.
It's possible that it will be included. It was released back in March, in Movie FX Magazine #4 (A FX mag on DVD). The DVD is actually a whole magazine on a DVD. If it was allowed to be included on that, I don't see any reason to keep it off the actual movie DVD. If you want to order the copy that has the trailer on it, I will include a link to Movie FX Magazine order page. I downloaded my copy from online, and have to say that it is actually nice to see the twin towers still standing in the trailer. :)

http://www.moviefxmag.com/order.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
07-17-2002, 02:26 AM
Here's the back of the DVD case. Note that they are exactly the same for both the Widescreen and Fullscreen releases. Why did they have to go and put the kissing scene between Spidey and Mary Jane on the back of the case, ugh. :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
07-17-2002, 02:37 AM
Man, that Deluxe DVD gift set is going to rip up this holiday season! What I don't get is why the widescreen box cover is the boring "crawler" pic we've seen a billion times this summer but the pan&scan is the cool "webswinging" pic. Don't encourage the philistines and their pan&scan ways Columbia Tristar, give them the boring box art!!!

I heard that the actual film didn't focus on the WTC at all and thus didn't need to be altered one iota.

Beast
07-17-2002, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Man, that Deluxe DVD gift set is going to rip up this holiday season! What I don't get is why the widescreen box cover is the boring "crawler" pic we've seen a billion times this summer but the pan&scan is the cool "webswinging" pic. Don't encourage the philistines and their pan&scan ways Columbia Tristar, give them the boring box art!!!

I heard that the actual film didn't focus on the WTC at all and thus didn't need to be altered one iota.
Yeah, they are going crazy with these deluxe gift sets, E.T., Lord of the Rings, and now Spider-Man. I wonder what else will be in the cards. I agree, I love the webswinging cover alot more then the on the wallcrawling cover. Ehhh, what you gonna do? :)

Nope, the film never featured the WTC, other then it was originally visible in the New York skyline in shots. They edited the buildings out of the film, during post production. I think they should have left them, like they did in the A.I. DVD. The whole trailer was just a teaser trailer and featured no actual movie footage. Alot of people thought the sequance was cut from the film, but it never even existed in the film.

I'm a little disapointed that I don't see deleted scenes. Stan "The Man" Lee's scene was cut, so now he is only seen when the Green Goblin attacks the balcony. You see him grab a young girl and run as rubble starts to fall. Originally there was a scene where Spidey/Peter meets Stan Lee, and Stan offers him some X-men glasses. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
07-17-2002, 05:08 PM
Here's menu images for the Spidey DVD from The Digital Bits (http://www.thedigitalbits.com)!

PENDO!

Pendo
07-17-2002, 05:09 PM
And another...

PENDO!

wedgeA
07-17-2002, 07:04 PM
JT and JJB,

Sorry, but I disagree with you on the cover art aspect. I am a proponent of DVD cases using the theatrical poster (or something close to it) as cover art, so I prefer the widescreen cover better. The reason I feel that way is that I think that studios are too eager to abandon great poster art in order to splash a star's face over the cover. Case in point, see Hollow Man, which has an incredible poster, but a terrible cover.

Sorry for the rant, anyway, this disc is going to be winner! I'll be at Tower Video at midnight to pick this one up!

Beast
07-17-2002, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by wedgeA
JT and JJB,

Sorry, but I disagree with you on the cover art aspect. I am a proponent of DVD cases using the theatrical poster (or something close to it) as cover art, so I prefer the widescreen cover better. The reason I feel that way is that I think that studios are too eager to abandon great poster art in order to splash a star's face over the cover. Case in point, see Hollow Man, which has an incredible poster, but a terrible cover.

Sorry for the rant, anyway, this disc is going to be winner! I'll be at Tower Video at midnight to pick this one up!
Oh, don't get me wrong. I agree with you totally that I prefer that they use the original theatrical poster art for the cover art. Check into my "Jason X/Jason Goes to Hell" thread to hear my thoughts on that. But sometimes the theatrical art can be really horrible, and the new art they whip up for cases can be much better. I like both covers, but they shouldn't have made the DVD cases different, even though it does make sense, so that no one picks up the horrible pan and scan version. ;) :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

wedgeA
07-17-2002, 11:50 PM
JJB,

I understand what you're saying, I actually do prefer the Criterion Robocop cover over the original poster, and the Vista series covers are nice. I guess I get irked more by the idea of splashing a person's face over the DVD cover. To be honest, I have never seen a film solely for the reason that an actor or actress I like is in it. I have to have an interest in the subject of the film.

I am not sure how well 2 different covers will work to avoid confusion for the average consumer. They may just see two different covers, not OAR vs. MAR. The only real solution is to release DVDs exclusively in OAR!

Beast
07-19-2002, 05:33 PM
Update, we now have prices. These are the MSRP prices, and the movie will be cheaper in most stores. Even cheaper if you pre-order. :)

Spider-Man WS: $28.96
Spider-Man FS: $28.96
Spider-Man Limited Edition Collector's Set: $49.95

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
08-05-2002, 05:23 PM
Finally got the news avout the Spider-Man: WTC Teaser. It will not be included on the DVD. Which is really a shame. This info comes from superherohype.com. :(

WTC Teaser Not on Spider-Man DVD
Monday, August 5, 2002 2:25 CDT

There's been some speculation on whether or not Sony would include the first teaser trailer for the Spider-Man movie on the upcoming DVDs.

We're referring to the clip which showed Spider-Man capturing and spanning the robbers in between the World Trade Center. This teaser was pulled from theaters and the Internet after the attacks on September 11th.

We learned this morning from the studio that this teaser will not be included in the upcoming Spider-Man DVDs.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
08-16-2002, 06:56 PM
Finally found a picture of the Gift Set. Looks really nice, IMHO. Guess I'm going to have to get this one also. The gift set contains:

The 2-Disc Widescreen edition of Spider-Man
Stan Lee's Mutants, Monsters, and Marvels DVD hosted by Kevin Smith
Collectible reprint of Amazing Fantasy #15, which introduced the Spider-Man
Collectible numbered senitype, featuring a film cel from the movie personally selected by the director with his comments.
Collectibe numbered limited edition offset lithograph reproduction by John Romita, Sr. and John Romita, Jr. (Spider-Man artists.)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
08-17-2002, 05:15 AM
Cool, THANX JJB :D!!! Looks like the gift set will be mine too :).

PENDO!

Beast
08-17-2002, 09:19 AM
Yeah, this year is starting to hurt with all the gift sets. Atleast Lucas hasn't announced a DVD gift set yet. I'm not sure if the Region 2 version will look the same. All I've seen is the R1 (North America) and R4 (Australia) versions. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
08-17-2002, 03:04 PM
I can't find any info of a box set in Region 2 :(. I hope we DO get one. Spider-Man is released on the 4th November here so that means I'll have two DVDs to watch that night, which one should I watch first, Spider-Man or Red Dwarf :confused:? I lead a HARD life :rolleyes:!

PENDO!

Beast
08-17-2002, 03:23 PM
Darn you, stop mentioning Red Dwarf!! :p :D You know they pushed it back in the states until Febuary. Nah, it's ok. I just hate when somthing I want doesn't get released in R1. I'm still ticked off because we didn't get the Predator S.E. that was released in R2. :cry: :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
08-17-2002, 03:43 PM
Sorry JJB, I'll try not to rub it in that us Brits get the Red Dwarf DVD nearly 3 and a half months before you :D!!!

And about the Predator: S.E, you'll just have to hope it sells well here, if so they're releasing it Internationally ;).

PENDO!

Reefer Shark
06-08-2004, 10:48 PM
Wow, talk about pulling a thread out of the graveyard!

One of my buddies just told me he scored a Spider-Man movie gift set at Best Buy for $19.99. I remember this set when it came out for like $50 or something. I wanted it then, but it was too much. Hopefully they're still around when I get paid again, I'm gonna have to try and score one!

It's a pretty nifty set with the widescreen DVD, Stan Lee's Mutants Monsters and Marvels DVD, reprint of Amazing Fantasy #15 (1st spidey appearance), a film cel, and a lithograph. All in a pretty nice looking, oversized box. If you're a fan of the movie, $19.99 is a steal for this set!!!

I did a little searching around at Best Buy's website, and they do have it there for the great price, plus free shipping. Excellent!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=39444&skuId=4768246&type=product

evenflow
06-09-2004, 09:29 AM
Yeah I saw the set the other day, I was thinkiong baout picking it up.