PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter?

icatch9
07-15-2002, 03:03 PM
I admit it, I do like Harry Potter. The movie was very cool and I'm up to the last chapter of the first book and it's also very good. Still, it has very little apeal in the collectables market. I remember when the first movie came out and there was talk that it would over take Star Wars for all time movie sales. People said it would be even more popular than Star Wars. Ofcorse, now that's sounds just plain silly, but why? It's a great story (very similar to the path that Luke Skywalker took), and millions of kids all over the world can't get enough of the books. Kids line up outside of book stores the night befor the book comes out (very similar to Star Wars back in the day and even today). So, why doesn't anyone care about it now? The next movie comes out Nov 15 (the same day as AOTC comes out on DVD). Still there is little talk of it and certainly no "buzz". I can't find any info on the net about the toys, not even on Mattels site wich is very good. Very little info at all considering how popular it is all over the world.

I don't know if anyone can help, but some ideas may help shed some light on this subject :).

Beast
07-15-2002, 03:10 PM
I quite enjoyed the books and the movie myself, it's definatly not just for kids. The books keep getting longer and darker also, the last one "The Goblet of Fire" clocks in at 700+ pages. They are saying that they will have to do a 2-part movie, just to remain faithful to the novel. Oh, and E2 comes on DVD November 26th. :)

You don't hear to much about the figures, because they were really not that great. Mattel released extremly rare figures, making it almost impossible for kids and fans to complete their collection without paying a ton. Plus the line had some serious quality control problems. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Deoxyribonucleic
07-15-2002, 03:28 PM
Being that I work in the book industry, I did read all of the books (#5 due out soon) and yes they were pretty good, however, I must note that J.K. Rowling is not unique in her writings...many a detail in her books have come from "The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles (published in 1974 and written by none other than Julie Andrews Edwards or for those who don't know...Mary Poppins) including the name Potter which is the last name of the main characters in this book. She has also "taken" from other various older children's books as well, so, like Bill Gates whom did NOT create DOS but bought it for only 50 grand, I will use windows and read harry potter simply because it works and they are good books but in the back of mind is always that these people are definitely NOT the true creators of such wonderful products.

PEACE OUT! :)

Beast
07-15-2002, 03:41 PM
I've read the comparisons between the 2 books, and while their are some similaritys, she is by no means stealing ideas from that book. Potter is not a uncommen last name, and neither is Tom a rare first name. Besides, there is only so much originality that can exist in not only the book area, but also the movie area. There is no such thing as originality anymore, it's all been pretty much done. It can't be helped if you write a book or make a movie, and there are similarities. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Deoxyribonucleic
07-15-2002, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
I've read the comparisons between the 2 books, and while their are some similaritys, she is by no means stealing ideas from that book. Potter is not a uncommen last name, and neither is Tom a rare first name. Besides, there is only so much originality that can exist in not only the book area, but also the movie area. There is no such thing as originality anymore, it's all been pretty much done. It can't be helped if you write a book or make a movie, and there are similarities. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

That is YOUR opinion, however, I do work in the industry and there are many tid bits of info that we hear/see/know which average Joe Public does not.

Jek Porky 2002
07-15-2002, 03:55 PM
Harry Potter is the most over hyped piece of crap I have ever seen. Even if I was a child I would hate it. My first HP experiance came when I was given book 3 for my 14th birthday, you can imagine how over the moon I was! One afternoon when there was nothing on TV, I wa soo desparate for something to do that I started to read it, and was very dissapointed. To me it's just a stereotypical childrens fairytale, with silly names and stupid scenarios, te only reason that adults "Claim" to like it is because it's got children reading again. The film was just as dissapointing, more silly names and obscure storys with cheap effects and crap acting.

pthfnder89
07-15-2002, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

Precisely, which is why Rowling comes under so much fire for the books. It's difficult to understand why her books have succeded so fantastically while other similar books have failed, and that leads some of the authors of those books to lash out at her, backed by the sort of people who believe that someone that rich MUST have done something wrong to get there.

Aside from the known supposedly "borrowed" material, there is a comic book called The Books of Magic, originally created by Sandman author Neil Gaiman. The early volumes featured the main character Tim Hunter, who was drawn EXACTLY like Harry Potter; a smallish 12year old british boy with jet black hair and glasses who finds out he can use magic.

Now taken by itself this seems like a bizarre and obvious theft. But even Gaiman has repeatedly said that there's no reason to believe Potter was based on this character, particularly since Rowling herself isn't known to read comic books (and how many single, middleaged working mothers do?). It's a coincedence plain and simply and in my opinion a MUCH better case could be built from this example than any of the others levied against Rowling. but the reason few people have heard of this is because Gaiman is a levelheaded man and not petty enough to begrudge Rowling and her success.

jjreason
07-15-2002, 05:04 PM
Not too many people will argue the fact that the Harry Potter books are based on ideas that have been seen elsewhere. All you have to do is read a little, get a few comics here and there, play a little D and D, and you've seen it all before. Rowling works well because of her character treatment, her pacing, and her sense of humour. The books read very well, for young and old alike. That's why they're so popular. With any luck they'll open the realm of fantasy to a younger generation whose parents won't buy them comics because of price, and won't let them play D and D because of the negative press it received in the late 80's. Videogames and movies are great, but they don't offer the same room for imaginative input and interpretation as reading.

Jonna
07-15-2002, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by jjreason
Not too many people will argue the fact that the Harry Potter books are based on ideas that have been seen elsewhere.

Of course! Can you even remember that last time that someone had an original idea? Music, movies, religion; it's the same rehashed cr@p everywhere. Now, I am not really saying anything about that Harry Potter movie. Saw it, was (barely) able to sit through it, maybe if I was 2 I would have liked it better, but I am talking about everything these day. People always think, "Gee Wally, that was great. I haven't seen that before". But you have and you just don't realize it because our brains have turned to mush in this society. We no longer question anything; we just follow the herd.

Now I know you are thinking about all those bumper stickers that say things like "Question Truth" and "Question Reality"; that we are all our own little individual person, but we are not and we are to blind to even see it. I have met one person, out of tens of thousands in my life, who ever even began to Question Reality. People need to WAKE UP and start actually thinking about things outside of themselves.

Sorry for this rant! It is not directed any any particular person. I just went off for a bit. I just hope that there is someone who really knows what I am talking about out there.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
07-15-2002, 07:37 PM
Basically the popularity came from the books. So when book 5 comes out, expect the Harry Potter buzz to highten again.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-15-2002, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Jonna

Of course! Can you even remember that last time that someone had an original idea? Music, movies, religion; it's the same rehashed cr@p everywhere.

Couldn't have said it any BETTER!!!!! Nothing new since cocaine came out in the frontier age! lol Oh wait, except for star wars...oh wait, George used frontier westerns for that one and Samurais too! hehe. Yup nothing new since cocaine. And even it came back...again and again and again.

:crazed:

Jonna
07-15-2002, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Deoxyribonucleic

Couldn't have said it any BETTER!!!!! Nothing new since cocaine came out in the frontier age! lol Oh wait, except for star wars...oh wait, George used frontier westerns for that one and Samurais too! hehe. Yup nothing new since cocaine. And even it came back...again and again and again.

:crazed:

Don't mean to start nothing! (Yes, I know double negative) But, you sound like a child of the 80's. :D I know, I am!

Dar' Argol
07-15-2002, 10:32 PM
My wife started to read the books, back after the movie came out. Her mother gave her the first book to read. She was hooked after that. So one day, I picked up book 3 and I was hooked as well. I don't care if it was "borrowed" from some other books. It sparked my imagination. It captured something inside of me that made me just wan to keep turning pages:D. I then got my wife her own copy of 2, 3, and 4. I read through 2 in a single sitting. I couldn't put it down:crazed:. A still have to read book 4 yet, her mom is borrowing it right now. I also loved the movie. I thought it was refreshing, even if this story has been done b/4:).

2-1B
07-16-2002, 12:57 AM
JarJar, I think icatch9 was referring to this news item (http://209.197.117.27/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=ssnews2.setup&category=starwars&topic=17&show_article=660) when he cited November 15th. :)

Beast
07-16-2002, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
JarJar, I think icatch9 was referring to this news item (http://209.197.117.27/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=ssnews2.setup&category=starwars&topic=17&show_article=660) when he cited November 15th. :)
Oh, I got ya. A couple of those dates are wrong. Spider-Man is November 1st, Star Wars is November 26th. I can confirm that list as having atleast those two wrong. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

icatch9
07-16-2002, 07:59 AM
Thanks Jar Jar and Caesar, yep that was what I was siting. It doesn't surprise me that the dates are wrong.

Well it seems that this thread of mine went a bit off it's original thought. Sure JK didn't invent magic, wizards, giants, or trolls. She did put togeather characters and situations that people can relate to. I don't think anyone ever credited her for comeing up with anything new in the realm of fantasy. I know that, and I'm just "Joe Public". What she did, and the reason why I think it's so popular is take things and situations that we already know about i.e. magic, myth, trolls, flying brooms, private schools, bad parents, evil dark lords, unicorns, and sentors, and puts them into one big wounderful story souronding a boy that we can all relate to. We love it becasue we already understand it all and there is little explanation needed. That's where I think a lot of fantasy books and stories have lost out. To much explanation of things that people don't understand. Your average person dosen't love fantasy stories or anything that is far out of our relm. That's because it's confusing and people just don't want to understand it. JK came up with situations that we already know about and made eveything nice and simple to understand. That's not saying that her stories are simple, but I think they are a lot simplier to understand than D and D or other Fantasy stories (including LOTR). Plus, millions of children love these stories. They are young and have not been exposed to all these other stories that JK may have been influenced by. So to them they are new and exciting ideas. Also, kids don't care where it came from, they are innocent and just love a good story.

My original question was why is there little buzz about it in the collectable world and the rest of what ever we call our hobby of Super Heros and toys. Many people have voiced their opions about JK and what she wrote, and that's fine. One guy even wrote how we are all blind and follow the heard (speak for yourself please). I think there is no real answer for the question. Just like there is no good answer why Star Wars toys and other stuff is so popular. It it becasue it is. Just like HP, it's popular becasue it is.

Eternal Padawan
07-16-2002, 08:07 AM

That is YOUR opinion, however, I do work in the industry and there are many tid bits of info that we hear/see/know which average Joe Public does not.

PFFFFFT. I doubt that. This is the information age and people are dying to share all their little secrets. If you want to hear/see/know the little secrets, they're out there to find. I doubt Jar Jar knows any less about the situation than "insiders" He's a well read chap who keeps up with current events.

For everybody's edification. The 5th Harry Potter book, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, is tentatively scheduled for July of 2003. The release date's been pushed back twice now. So SOON is a relative term.

JediTricks
07-16-2002, 11:20 PM
I think the reason the Harry Potter products aren't big collectible news is due to several elements...

- Timing: some of the toys were released MONTHS before the movie, but most of these toys were basically statues and dioramas so there was no "fun-factor" at all, just a bit of a let-down for another wait.

- Hype: Mattel's hype of their Harry Potter line was too much, it felt a bit like those covers on the Trendmasters "Dr Smith" figure, you peeled it off and underneath was a rather plain dud of a figure.

- Overproduction: too many lines, too many products, too much shelf space - you could call this "Episode I syndrome".

- Collectibility: Mattel made 2 figure lines for the film, but both were based on kid-oriented buying rather than one for kids and one for collectors. While both are made from a high-quality material and have somewhat decent design, there's nothing flashy or super-accurate or truly fascinating about either line. The main line is a very basic line with rather bland characteristics, and the smaller line has weaker sculpting and is meant to interact with an electronic toy that nobody seems interested in. Couple all that with the overproduction so that nothing is perceived as "rare" for more than a moment, and the line seems like a flash in the pan that isn't even that interesting to look at or experience (of course, that falls under the concept of "perception").

Basically, the line is for kids and didn't get perceived as anything but a quicky toy line meant to capitalize off a popular series. I don't think Harry Potter is actually that "toyetic" anyway, I think imagination is the strongest thing that it rests on and makes it work, and the toys sort of limit that feeling. However, some of the toys are actually pretty neat so it's possible that in 5 or 10 years some of this line that's already fallen off the current aftermarket radar will actually have more value than the current so-called "collectible" toys due to fun-factor and quality rather than overinflated instant-aftermarket values.

icatch9
07-17-2002, 09:22 AM
Jedi Tricks, your reasons are pretty sound. I just don't agree with the fact that you say they where over produced and nothing was rare. This line was not over produced at all, especially when you compare it to TPM. These figures never clogged the shelves as much as TPM toys did, and they never made it to the Clearance rack (to a point of course). There where several "rare" figures. A lot more rare than any AOTC figure ever will be. Dumbledore, Remembrall Malfoy, and Professor Quarrel where the first three chase figures. All provided to be very scarce indeed, and commanded a high price on the secondary market. I saw several Dumbledors sell on ebay for $40-$60. That's way more than any basic TPM, POTJ, or Saga figure ever sold for. Then came Voldemort that was a spoiler figure that Mattel held back until the movie was out for a while and everyone knew who he was. A lesson Hasbro needs to learn. Plus the 4 main characters (Harry, Ron, Herminie, and Malfoy) all had crest variations on their robes and so did the Quidditch Harry. So, then again more "collectability". The Herminie figure was the most impossible basic figure to find, she was sought after and never warmed the pegs. I'd say the only true Peg Warmer was Snape and the 3 Deluxe figures, other than that they had a good mix and good flow.
They are good toys. You call them everything but boring and that's basically what your getting at. They are good looking toys, and a good size too. Sure they don't do anything, but they are very well made and would be hard to break. After all isn't all the action features the stuff that Star Wars collectors complain about. Plus, they look very good in the package. So all in all they have everything that other "collectable" toy lines have. I don't think they where overproduced and I don't think we where bombarded with commercials every other second, like with TPM.

I think this line and LOTR line has one simple problem. They aren't Star Wars. That's not a problem, but is sure doesnít' help any. Every action figure line that goes along with a movie has been trying to do what Star Wars did. None of them has succeeded and I doubt any ever will.

Finally, we tend to think of ourselves as action figure experts. As a community I think we are. At least on the collectable side of action figures. There is another side that we collectors all to often forget and still think we know it all. The children, we have to think of the children. Kids are after all what fuel any and every toy line. I've tried to make this point before, but few have listened. I think Harry Potter was very popular and the toys did very well. This is proven because they are still current and still sold at full price. Clearly us "collectors" could care less about them. So that means that the kids are buying them all and keeping the line a float. Harry Potter has survived on kidís money alone.

Take that into consideration when you think about Star Wars. Star Wars has as much kid interest as Harry Potter did. Kids kept Harry Potter in the black. Kids keep Star Wars in the black and us collectors are just gravy for Hasbro.

If you don't think I'm right, then there is a little test you can conduct. Go up to your co-workers, neighbors, people at the gym, strangers on the street and ask them if they collect toys. You are more than likely going to get a strange look or worse from most everyone. Next go to a playground, Water Park, or a youth group and ask the kids there if they have any toys. Every single one of them will raise their hands. Then ask more specific questions about Star Wars toys, or Harry Potter Toys, or LOTR toys. Then you'll see the vast difference in Adult collectors vs. Kids. We are out numbered 10 to 1 or more.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-17-2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan

PFFFFFT. I doubt that. This is the information age and people are dying to share all their little secrets. If you want to hear/see/know the little secrets, they're out there to find. I doubt Jar Jar knows any less about the situation than "insiders" He's a well read chap who keeps up with current events.

For everybody's edification. The 5th Harry Potter book, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, is tentatively scheduled for July of 2003. The release date's been pushed back twice now. So SOON is a relative term.

Again, YOUR opinion, as I am allowed mine....which stands as it is no matter how much someone goofahs at me, because I could really care less about Harry Potter and about what you think- they are only books, it's not like LIFE is at stake here for crying out loud and I'm certainly NOT going to lose sleep over it. There really are more important things in life than flaming someone's opinion on an internet forum. I mean no disrespect as it seems you did to me and I feel it necessary to point out that others are allowed their opinions without people getting all bent out of shape over them. It would be nice if people could just agree to disagree without getting nasty - that is why I put smiley faces after my reply to Jar Jar - I meant no disrepect to him, we simply share different opinions which is what makes the world go around.

NOTE TO SELF: unsubscribe from threads when they become ridiculously obtuse!

Jonna
07-17-2002, 11:30 AM

NOTE TO SELF: unsubscribe from threads when they become ridiculously obtuse!

NOTE TO SELF: unsubscribe from all threads after 5 posts!;)

JediTricks
07-18-2002, 08:05 PM
Icatch, the line has been pegwarmer city here, and I've heard similar reports from other areas. That seems like overproduction to me. Episode I figures had more proven buyers, so the production ratio was higher when it was overproduced, I don't think you can use Ep 1 as a barometer for the overproduction of any other line - that doesn't negate the comment that HP was overproduced though.

As for rarity, I guess there's more of an instant-aftermarket than I knew about, but it's not really huge collecting news, which is what you were originally asking about.

"The line looks boring", there, I've said it. It does, it looks like a boring line and I know I'm not the only toy collector who perceives it that way. I wouldn't know about whether it's ACTUALLY boring or not because only 1 fig in the line so far has looked like something I'd want to buy (Cloak of Invisibility Harry). I even said I thought it looked like a good toy line, but I still think it's perceived in the collecting circles as "boring, dull, bland". They don't look that good compared to Star Wars, McFarlane, Gundam, Spider-Man, Marvel Legends, etc., the HP figures don't look like little versions of people, they look like kids toys and while there's nothing wrong with that, it doesn't usually lend itself to high collector interest. Visually, it's not a "sharp" line.

As for LOTR, I think I know why that line isn't doing as well as it could, Toy Biz is pretty bad at making and marketing movie toys. The X-men line showed us that Toy Biz uses inferior materials and paints and adds gimmicks to try to cross over the kiddie threshold, but ultimately it comes up short on both sides of the equation and LOTR looks the same. I think it's very different from HP's lack of collector success - HP looks like it's smoothed out for the kiddies but with high quality materials while LOTR looks cheaped out for the gimmicks and has low quality materials.

Kids are not "collectors" usually, they are "consumers" since the toys are aimed at them and they buy them to play with rather than simply have. If you reread my previous post, you'll see that's what I was trying to explain was part of the reasoning for not seeing a lot of collector news and buzz about the line.

As for kids keeping SW in the black, it's not true at all anymore. I've heard some startling numbers that confirm this, the line is being propped up almost entirely by collectors.

icatch9
07-19-2002, 08:34 AM
Good points. I don't disagree with anything you've said :). I think the term Peg Warmer is all-relative. I may just live in a "Harry Potter Hot Spot", and you live in a cold one. It's true that comparing TPM toys and HP toys is apples and oranges. Still I don't think overproduction is a problem. HP toys in my area (that includes many many stores) still have a section and are very bare at times. The trouble is there just isnít enough variety of characters to choose from. I mean this is a movie year fro SW and we already have 42 characters in only 3 months plus half a dozen deluxe figures. That's nearly 50 figures to buy. Harry potter has been out for 9 months (and the toys have been out for 10) and is only up to about 23. Plus, there are only about 13 different characters. So, production of the line is very different. Again apples to oranges.

You've made you points about your ideas why collectors don't like the line. They make perfect sense. I don't like the way that Mattel has marketed the line at all. Clearly this is a popular movie with tons of characters to make. Still they only have made about 13 different ones. They probably won the licenses to the line and then poop a brick because they didnít' know what to do with an action figure line. Mattel does good work with Barbie and Hot Wheels but they aren't exactly collectable action figures. Anyway, with 7 movies I'm sure they'll either get with the program or loose the licenses to someone else.

This line bothers me because with less than 4 months until the second movie, Iíve seen nothing to promote the toys for the new line. That could be bad because that means that they are working slow and arenít going to have anything good. Or that they are just waiting for the Star Wars buzz to wear off and then promote their figures. Just like the Oscars, this is going to be a tough year for toys. This is an amazing year when you think about it. I mean Spiderman, Star Wars, Harry Potter, and Lord of the Rings all out in the same year. Wow, to be a kid again :)!

One more thing. The LOTR line may perceived as bad, but it did win for action figure of the year last year. The Lurtz figure with bow action won. This feature is exclusive to Toy Biz and must really work well because that was the reason it won. Now, I donít know how easy it is to break, but it did win.

Your facts on collectors vs. kids in the Star Wars market, from where did you get them? I find it very hard to believe, thatís for sure. This is pertinent information that I think you should share with the rest of us.

Eternal Padawan
07-19-2002, 08:36 AM
I'm not a big fan of anything OTHER than the books. The toys are feh-worthy and some of the other tie ins smack of cashing in quick and getting out while the fires hot. I saw the marketing juggernaut approaching before the film's release and I thought "Boy. that's going to turn alot of people OFF to Potter-mania" which is a shame since the books ARE REALLY GOOD AND ENTERTAINING READS. The movie was pretty good and faithful to the book (as much as possible).

Note to self: Don't subscribe to threads at all. Enough spam in the mailbox without all that nonsense.

icatch9
07-19-2002, 08:43 AM
Maybe I missed something, but was there a lot of advisements out for the HP movie? Everyone remembers TPM adds from Taco Smell and the rest of Tri-Global Want to Own the World Inc, but I don't recall such things for HP. Plus, I don't really remember seeing his face one every cereal box and bag of chips at the super market. Clue me in if you can. I was fairly busy at that time last year. My last semester of college was pretty involved for me. Thanks for your help :).

Hey go hear

http://community.thinkpotter.com/

It's like SSG little brother. Looks the same, just not very big and popular yet :)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-19-2002, 06:46 PM
There were commercials at least once a half-hour for HP movie, and almost as much for the stuff (be it the levitating ball game, the powercaster set, the potions maker, the figs, whatever). No, he was not on many items, Coke was the sponsor, and they had a cool game, for which the prize was never very clear.
I have most of the figures, but I think the slime ones are pretty stupid. I stopped after they stopped making them. I got a Dumbledore, I saw, never got, and want a Voldemort/Quirrell, and never saw, don't want a Malfoy with one extra, tiny accessory. I also passed on the deluxe figures, even though Hagrid and Fluffy are easily accessible.
Anyway, I own the Powercaster playset. It's pretty cool. More figures for it were planned, but probably tossed away. If you'll look on the bottom of their feet, they have pegs which go into holes, and certain arrangements mean certain characters. What's really interesting, though, is if you mess around and stick their wands into the holes in different ways, you can get a clue as to other figures, like McGonagall, Dobby, Tom Riddle, and Lockhart.

JediTricks
07-20-2002, 12:38 AM
Toy Biz seems to be able to pull off archer figures pretty well, they've done like 3 previous ones I think. If you go to LA-area toy stores though, you'll see a lot of LOTR figs (usually right across from the wall of dusty HP figs, I kid you not) and a few folks will glance by and kinda shrug or say something about being disappointed. It's all about perception. Ep 1 was a line that was seen as junk so buyers treated it as such, POTJ had a bunch of pegwarmers but was considered a success simply because of the perception of the buyers I think.

As for my info on SW numbers, I'm not allowed to say, but the source is quite trustworthy.

Eternal Padawan
07-20-2002, 08:04 AM
The only LOTR figures I see are the Newborn Lurtz pegwarmers flooding dept stores across the nation.

I completely believe JT's numbers on collectors vs kids buying SW figures. I never see small children buying Sw figs. They are fickle little bast:eek: who bounce from one franchise to the next with no brand loyalty because thats how kids are. back in the day, they could count on kids to buy SW because there were really no other lines to choose from. Fisher-Price adventure people? C'mon... You'll notice with the advent of Transformers, MOTU, and GIJOE,etc the SW property folded up tent. Now look at all the PokemonbuttuglymartiansPowerRangersTMNTDisneyfilmd ujour

toylines to choose from and see what kind of chance SW has in that market. Not a very big one. Hasbro knows it. The collectors know it. Hasbro knows the collectors know it. So I wish they'd stop using "kids" as an marketing excuse for some of the crap they pull.

Back to Harry Potter...

icatch9
07-22-2002, 09:02 AM
The Harry Potter moive is what....9 or 10 months old? Right? Star Wars is what 25 years and 2 months old. Even though the Harry Potter books have been around for a couple years, it's still not that long. Give Harry Potter 25 years and I think there will be a huge backing. It will have 7 books and 7 blockbuster movies to go with it. It will, of course never surpass Star Wars as a franchise, but I think the grade school kids now will eat this stuff up in 20 years, just like we did with Star Wars in 95'.

Don't forget that Star Wars toys in the late 70's/ early 80's weren't exactly high profile either. Heck most of them where peg warmers that got clearenced out for less than $2.00. I know I got a Degobah playset at Target for $2.37. So, there you go. But 25 years later the original 12 on 12 backs MIP go for more than $500.00 each. I don't think HP toys will ever be that much. It's just a numbers game. It's a different world now than it was in 78'. Still I bet these figures will be highly collectable in the future. Better try and get them now, befor they are gone forever.

pthfnder89
07-22-2002, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by icatch9
The Harry Potter moive is what....9 or 10 months old? Right? Star Wars is what 25 years and 2 months old. Even though the Harry Potter books have been around for a couple years, it's still not that long. Give Harry Potter 25 years and I think there will be a huge backing. It will have 7 books and 7 blockbuster movies to go with it. It will, of course never surpass Star Wars as a franchise, but I think the grade school kids now will eat this stuff up in 20 years, just like we did with Star Wars in 95'.

...Still I bet these figures will be highly collectable in the future. Better try and get them now, befor they are gone forever.

Well that's true in one sense. Eveything becomes collectible to some degree after it is no longer widely available. But that doesn't mean it's going to be a huge phenomenon. But I'd also like to point out that if they ever actually make it to movie #7, that there won't be NEARLY as much excitement about it as there has been during these last few years. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that the movies stop at about #5. By that time (which will be around 8-10 years from now) the public will have moved on to the next big fad in entertainment

I firmly agree with JediTricks that the Harry Potter figures just aren't very exciting. They aren't awful, but they don't have anything remarkable about them either, which every toy needs in order to distinguish itself from the other toys around it.

icatch9
07-22-2002, 03:27 PM
Well, the movies are going strong. The 4th one is slated to be out summer of 2004. Plus, it's going to more than likely be a two part movie so we'll have two that year. It is a phenomenon. Most didn't think (including GL) that Star Wars wouldn't be around this long either. Don't be so quick to judge :)

pthfnder89
07-22-2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by icatch9
Well, the movies are going strong. The 4th one is slated to be out summer of 2004. Plus, it's going to more than likely be a two part movie so we'll have two that year. It is a phenomenon. Most didn't think (including GL) that Star Wars wouldn't be around this long either. Don't be so quick to judge :)

I'm not judging them, just giving my opinion as to what the future holds. I'm looking forward to each and every HP movie.

The first Harry Potter movie was obviously hugely successful, but it didn't change the way movies are made the way Star Wars did. It didn't give us anything amazing that we haven't seen before. It simply told the story of the books. The films aren't going to survive on the popularity of the movie; they'll survive on the popularity of the books, simply because fans of the book want to see what it looks like on the movie screen.

Also, the 4th movie has NOT been scheduled for 2004. The 3rd movie has. It has been pushed back and won't even begin filming until next year; this is largely due to the fact that they are changing directors.

And the speculation that Goblet of Fire (the 4th book) will be split into 2 movies is just that: speculation. It's just a rumour going around, caused by the 4th novels length. But even if they compressed it into one heavily edited movie, it could not possibley be out sooner than Fall 2005 and even that is pushing it.

Then you add the fact that the 5th book won't be out until next summer (2003) and you start to see that it will take over a DECADE for them to make all four movies, and it could quite possibley take longer.

I'm not bashing Harry Potter by saying that it can't sustain it's popularity that long; I'm just being practical about it.

icatch9
07-23-2002, 08:10 AM
This was a report out yesterday :D

Rumours the latest Harry Potter book has been delayed till 2003 are wrong, according to the publisher's website.

Some reports over the last few days claimed Bloomsbury said the long awaited fifth book definitely wouldn't be out till 2003.

No definite date

But on Monday night the publishers dismissed those reports, again repeating the statement on their website saying:

"JK Rowling is happily writing Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and we anticipate that we will be publishing later this year."

There's no definite release date - JK Rowling will simply announce when she's finished writing.

And Bloomsbury thinks that it's still likely to be this year, in 2002.

This is a report out today :D

Despite all the signs that the fifth Harry Potter book was set to arrive in the first quarter of 2003, it appears that fans may be looking at an August release. A trusted source who works for a library has revealed that their copies are set to arrive on August 18th.

There has been no confirmation from any publisher regarding this, however, so it could just be an outdated order - but let's hope that it's the real deal! We'll keep you notified as more information surfaces - and be sure to let us know if you have any information about the release.

Both of these reports where found at hpottercr.co.uk

Sorry, got my movies/books and my years mixed up a bit. Never the less, you don't think a decade worth of movies is going to create a large fan base? Aparently children today don't like Star Wars, so they have to like something. That something is pretty much Harry Potter. I don't see kids lined up in the middle of the night to read anything else. Sure it could fizzle, but it's just way to popular to do that. It's also been around long enough to be beyond the "fad" stage. I think it's passed the test of time. The only thing I can see is that the "johnny come lately" fans will get feed up with it. The true fans will always love it, and there are gobs of true fans.

Your right, Harry Potter didn't change the way movies were made. Does anyone realy love Star Wars, just becasue of the way it changed movie makeing. IMO I don't think so. They love the story, the back stories, the what ifs, the Universe created by GL. JKR has created her own world based on ours, but one where reality isn't that important. It's very similar to Star Wars. Sure she may not have created anything new, but niether did Henry Ford. He just found a better way to make something that already existed. So, this is what JK did as well. Still, she gets bashed for it and some people think she's a hack. None of that matters to me. Heck I'm not ever that big of a fan, my fiance' is the HP head in the family. I do appreciate the value and the amazment wich is the Harry Potter franchise. I do think it will be one of the most popular icons of the new century. In our hearts and minds it will never be that great, becasue we are in love with Star Wars. Many of my points revolve around the fact the kids love this stuff,and kids of today will rule the future. Give HP 25 years and 7 movies and books and he'll be one of the most popular pop culture icons ever:).

We can go around and around about this and get no where. Fact is, we don't know how popular it will be. Dan Ratcliff could get in a car crash tommarow and they may never make another movie again. We just don't know. So, I'm proposeing we stop this line of disscussion and just report news and what not on the new movie and book. We can agrue :) about how popular it will be in the future.