PDA

View Full Version : You shouldn't dis HASBRO. They rock! Who's with me?

OriginalBryGuy
07-15-2002, 03:26 PM
Have I chimed in on this yet?

Look, if it wasn't for HASBRO you wouldn't have a lot of toys then, and if it wasn't for HASBRO you wouldn't have your toys now.

If you take a look at the old figures and compare them with the new the differences are staggering! The sculpts are better, and there's more articulation now then there ever was!

We all owe HASBRO a lot. Hell, this site and forum wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for them. Are they perfect - Of course not. Do they screw up sometimes - definitely. But, if you think about how many other non-related star wars toys the company makes, and realize how much they actually HAVE been putting on the shelves over the years, you quickly have to give HASBRO props for doing what they can.

Sure finding figures can be a pain, but that's not always their fault. Collecting is a great hobby and I plan to continue doing it till the last Episode III figure sells out in stores.

Give props where props are due! Wise up people - now is a great time to be a collector. :)

brentfett
07-15-2002, 03:33 PM
I agree with you, basically. Yes, the sculpts are better, but so are the sculpts of every other toy company out there. Hasbo would not last if they still made figures sculpted as bad as the vintage ones. But, yes, I do appreciate the much much better sculpts on the new Star Wars figures. Even the POTF2 aren't that bad compared to the vintage ones. My big beef is the little things, like inconsistent paint jobs, and the cheesy plastic the new accessories are made from. As for distribution, I no longer support people *****ing about Hasbro. I have found every figure I have ever looked for, in vast numbers usually. You just have to WAIT a little bit.

hango fett
07-15-2002, 03:37 PM
they could be doing alot better at kwality kontrol.

Herby
07-15-2002, 03:54 PM
I agree! Hasbro has been doing much better by me. Although I will admit they have had some rocky points (for some reason quality control has gotten worse during EPII, maybe due to higher production), they have been getting a bum wrap on many message boards. The sculpts are incredible (Palpatine...wow!) and the action features can actually be kind of fun (off with his head!).

Well, that's my two cents...

Lobito
07-15-2002, 03:58 PM
I liked the neutral poses that kenner used...(not to say the kenner logo was far superior than the one hasbro uses) other than that...i have no complains.

aceguide
07-15-2002, 04:06 PM
I agree. Hasbro is doing a fine job. I'm not sure how much better quality control could get considering the volume they are producing - and without some of the slip ups there wouldn't be as much for variant hunters to collect.

I say give them a break!

Chiesa
07-15-2002, 04:07 PM
I totally agree with ya!! I think the sculpts are just awesome!! Definitely no complaints to date... For me the neutral Kenner toys were good for collecting but ok for display... The Hasbro ones just KICKS ***!! Keep up the good work Hasbro!!

N-2PF
07-15-2002, 04:09 PM
I disagree.

Originally posted by OriginalBryGuy

If you take a look at the old figures and compare them with the new...

jedihunter25
07-15-2002, 04:17 PM
They need to get rid of the poses and they need to work on their crappy playsets. Other than that, the figures and vehicles are good.

JON9000
07-15-2002, 04:22 PM
Things are looking better, but they still deserve to be dissed if figures do not fit in vehicles and the magnets don't stick. But I think for the most part that the figures are better than ever.

Casual George
07-15-2002, 04:30 PM
Drop the gimmicks and give us neutral poses with great articulation, like the comm tech stormie and Bespin Capture Han Solo.

KingOfSting
07-15-2002, 04:46 PM
i think that hasbro has and continues to give us very good scultps. granted some figures dont fit into their designated vehciles perfectly, or at all, but when you think about it there really arent a lot of figures like that. also N-2PF i think that is a very unfair comparison, given that hasbro has since resculpted the scout trooper in the POTJ collection. also you all must consider that hasbro is trying to cater collectors AND kids...remember those? the people who are going to be making up the next generation of star wars fans? besides i have every bit of confidence that hasbro will get more collector oriented as far as collection one goes next year...and so what if some figures that have gimmicks and such? no ones forcing you to buy anything

rynobot
07-15-2002, 04:50 PM
Hasbro forcedme to start collecting. They came to me in the middle of the night and drove me to Walmart and forced me to buy there Episode 1 figures at gun point.

aharry
07-15-2002, 05:07 PM
I dig these toys, it was Moff Tarkin that got me started in the collecting game. I was impressed he got a figure, especially being a major player in New Hope. I could take or leave the pre-poses as I display loose and carded figures. As for quality control, look at the figure before buying. If the paint job sucks, don't get it. I will admit that the weapons are a bit more flimsy and wish they would use the strudier plastic from POFT2. The only serious problem I have is the imperial shuttle situation and if they do give it to FAO as an exclusive for $150. I'm happy however that these toys are here for us to enjoy, keep them coming.

Lt Kettch
07-15-2002, 05:21 PM
i appreciate hasbro a little more now, i never ever thought i'd see a Djas Puhr or Ephant Mon....EVER!

Adam
07-15-2002, 05:42 PM
I surely don't owe Hasbro a thing. If they weren't there the license would have gone to some one else and we'd still get our goodies.

Jedi_Rainman
07-15-2002, 06:34 PM
I am with you, but Hasbro need to fire there so-called "Kwality Kontrol" people and hire some people who will really bring the name Quality to there figures!

Jedi Juice
07-15-2002, 06:36 PM
Well, I for one appreciate Hasbro a little more right now, since I have been able to find all the Saga figures. In the EP1 line, I was not able to find all the figures, and wound up buying from people online.

Until I cannot find any newer figures, Hasbro is "A OK."

thespar
07-15-2002, 10:16 PM
Outside of there quailty control they are doing a very good job.

Jedi_Rainman
07-16-2002, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by thespar
Outside of there quailty control they are doing a very good job.

Yes, I agree 100%:D

AdmiralPiett
07-16-2002, 04:08 AM
Hasbro's doing alright. Power of the Jedi was amazing and the Saga figures are pretty fun to play with and display (except for some preposed guys that have a hard time standing up on their own).... I just miss the phrase "WE REALLY DO CARE."
Piett

Herby
07-16-2002, 06:38 AM
What does the vintage biker scout vs the vehicle pack in biker scout have to do with anything? I mean, isn't the fact Hasbro made it again in two flavors enough? Again, the only problems I've had is that you have to be VERY careful to check a paint job before purchase (my Luminara is quite sloppy). The sculpts have been wonderful.

OriginalBryGuy
07-16-2002, 01:38 PM
Yea, I should add a bit too..

N-2PF,

If the BikerScout is your only example that's just sad. I mean, let's look at that. Doesn't the BikerScout have articulation in the knees? Did the old one? The new sculpt does indeed look better then the old, just not much different, but again keep in mind, it's a BikerScout we're talking about...not a great example of the differences I'm talking.

As far as quality control...at least all the changes and modifications seem to indicate that they are changing things (sometimes for the better, sometimes not). I agree, there have been some severe issues, but I don't blame HASBRO completely for that one. Inventory control goes through a lot of places before arriving at the store.

When you account for the millions of figures that go out the door, I'm actually amazed there aren't more. The only reason people hear so much about variations is because of sites and boards like this one that emphasize that very fact.

Hell, some people collect mess ups with authority, so, even if it sucks you can't always knock it - especially if you're a collector of such things.

I also agree with many of the posts...some of the easily "over looked" figures have gotten a fig, and there's more to come. The fact they even have a "fan's choice" ANYTHING deserves some props. :D

chubbychicken
07-16-2002, 03:56 PM
i'm with ya on that the new sculpts are way better n they are cooler to display on your desk and yes if it wasnt for them we wouldnt even be collecting this stuff

R3-T7
07-16-2002, 04:06 PM
When I was a kid, I thought: When I got my own money, I will buy every star wars toy on earth. I´m glad I still have the chance now 20 years later! Thanx to Hasbro!

JangoFart
07-16-2002, 04:31 PM
All in all, I dig the newer figures since the change from "Star Wars meets He-Man" of the earlier POTF2 figures. Those monstrosities should have led to the public beating of any and every employee of Hasbro associated with such crap. (Billy Dee wishes he had abs like that.) My initial "Oh my God, new Star Wars figures" attitude petered away FAST with those critters.

Since the change, however, I have collected nearly every figure. However, not all is perfect; as with anything.

Here's what I'd love to see, but I know will never happen: Hasbro makes a distinct collector's line - sort of like the newer Hot Wheels. I'd like to see 2 versions of each figure - one in a pre-posed, "I'm gunna get medieval on your hiney" position and one neutral, "I'm just an action figure trying to make my way on the pegs" position. That way, folks like me who open MAYBE 5% of what they buy will be happy with the collecting aspect and folks who open ALL BUT 5% will be happy with the diaroma/displaying aspect.

If we lived in a perfect world, it would go down just like that. However, we all know how that saying ends.....

As it is, I'll take what I can get and be content. When all is said and done, I'm getting my Star Wars fix while feeding my pack-rat gene all it can eat. Times are good, if you ask me.

J

DarthBrandon
07-16-2002, 05:00 PM
Granted Hasbro has made some vast improvements on their figures, but to be thanking them, I just can't see why. Lucasfilm holds the rights to Star Wars action figures and they only granted Hasbro a license to produce them just like Kenner did in the 70's. If it weren’t Hasbro then it would have been somebody else like Mattel or something. They still have a big problem with quality control and consistency. If we should be thanking anyone, then we should be thanking George Lucas for all the memories and great toys he lets others produce, having that said I believe Hasbro will continue to improve their products only if people like us voice their opinions.

DarthBrandon
07-16-2002, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by JangoFart

Here's what I'd love to see, but I know will never happen: Hasbro makes a distinct collector's line - sort of like the newer Hot Wheels. I'd like to see 2 versions of each figure - one in a pre-posed, "I'm gunna get medieval on your hiney" position and one neutral, "I'm just an action figure trying to make my way on the pegs" position. That way, folks like me who open MAYBE 5% of what they buy will be happy with the collecting aspect and folks who open ALL BUT 5% will be happy with the diaroma/displaying aspect.

If we lived in a perfect world, it would go down just like that. However, we all know how that saying ends.....

As it is, I'll take what I can get and be content. When all is said and done, I'm getting my Star Wars fix while feeding my pack-rat gene all it can eat. Times are good, if you ask me.

J

Why one preposed and one neutral, If Hasbro made all their figures like the new Bespin Luke minus the button on his back then we wouldn't need two different poses or fifty different Han Bespins for that matter. All figures should come with bendable knees and arms, guns that fit holsters, good art, cloth robes on lower part of body etc.etc., that way it gets done right the first time. This will allow our figures to stand, pose, and sit in vehicles without making the same figure twice with something extra as a gimmick to buy the newer version. Just an opinion.

N-2PF
07-16-2002, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by KingOfSting
also N-2PF i think that is a very unfair comparison, given that hasbro has since resculpted the scout trooper in the POTJ collection. also you all must consider that hasbro is trying to cater collectors AND kids...remember those?

It's a fair comparison. What's the use of a dozen resculpts in the future, every single one with another preposed heroic sculpt, if I need figures to play with my children?

the people who are going to be making up the next generation of star wars fans? besides i have every bit of confidence that hasbro will get more collector oriented as far as collection one goes next year

They are only collector orientated with the 3 3/4".

...and so what if some figures that have gimmicks and such?

The gimmicks make the playing impossible. It's just a reason to justify another resculpt.

no ones forcing you to buy anything

Sorry? My kids shall grow up without Star Wars? Think twice!

Originally posted by Herby
What does the vintage biker scout vs the vehicle pack in biker scout have to do with anything?

It's the example of the difference in making the Vintage and the new figures. The Vintage Biker Scout (like the other Vintage figures) has a neutral pose, that means he fits in every vessel or you can buy many and build an army that doesn't look like they are dancing. The new one may be good for display, but he is no army builders nor can he be used without driving his bike.

Originally posted by Herby
I mean, isn't the fact Hasbro made it again in two flavors enough?

Both of them are not my flavor. Sure, as a collector you can have two different figures instead of one. And there is hope that the line will never end while increasing your collection with resculpts.

N-2PF, If the BikerScout is your only example that's just sad.

Show me any example of your choice and I'll try to show you how that figure is not compatible to a figure/vessel of the new lines. Out of their cards they do not fit to the ones they've produced before.

I mean, let's look at that. Doesn't the BikerScout have articulation in the knees? Did the old one? The new sculpt does indeed look better then the old, just not much different, but again keep in mind, it's a BikerScout we're talking about...not a great example of the differences I'm talking.

Yes the new Biker Scout has articulation in his knees. But I can't make him stand in a way he's not afraid of the Ewoks and a big mistake happens in his throusers.

In my opinion, there will be no next generation of collectors. You do collect cause the Vintage line was good for playing. You needed just one Vader for the whole classic trilogy. And only one Stormtrooper-sculpt was necessary to build the army. The new line is only for collectors. Preposed, and a much higher number of figures in a never ending improvement-story. So shout out: "You shouldn't dis HASBRO. They rock! Who's with me?" The next improved character leaves you waiting for better resculpts for the rest of the line. But you will have to wait forever until all of the characters will fit together (as they did in the Vintage days). And the next generation can have no playing fun with this preposed stuff.

Hasbro could have done it right. Neutral poses, more articulation, and detail, no gimmicks on the figures. They don't wanted to. They want to do a preposed sculpt for every single take a character has in the movies. Sure, looks great to recreate diorama scenes, but its useless for playing - unless you don't wan't to keep 10 resculpts in your pocket and shout "cut!", change the figure, "action!" every 30 seconds.

jdmarlow
07-16-2002, 07:31 PM
I would have to say that the positive in the Hasbro department definitely outweigh the negative. Here are some recent examples of collector appreciation that they have provided, filling our demand nonetheless:

1. Fan Choice Figures

You may have small complaints about how the system is run and what figures are being voted for, but the concept stands STRONG. The system can be improved on should it be neccesarry, but I think Ephant Mon rocks!!

2. Better Sculpts, Better Variety

We still see re-hashes of Vader, Luke, Han, and Chewie....BUT....they are worthwhile sculpts, and they are produced in such numbers that the variety of other figures are outweighing those resculpts. In that respect, today you see so many collectors demanding new characters that have yet to be created only because hasbro has given us so many new characters already and we are hungry for more. That is a POSITIVE THING. There should ALWAYS be something to look forward to.

3. Better Price

I don't know about you, but I'm loving this $4.99 bit at my local Toys "R" Us. We went from $4.99 in '95 up to $7.99 for EP1 COMMTECH, and back again. I love where the state of collecting is at with Hasbro right now. They are doing a fantastic job. It's up to the collectors to make the most of it...so I suggest we do as such and have fun!

Just my $0.02

PloKoon2385
07-16-2002, 09:40 PM
I agree completely! Sure there are minor problems. But there is only so much you can do with 3 3/4" of plastic! I think we are a little to hard on them. They do a great job!

JediTricks
07-17-2002, 05:07 AM
Just one point, if Hasbro hadn't bought Tonka in the early '90s, they might not have anything to do with the SW line now since Tonka owned Kenner.

OriginalBryGuy
07-17-2002, 12:52 PM
Collectors have to keep in mind that these toys aren't being made for people over 10. If you think Lucas is making Star Wars for anyone over 10 you're nuts - See 'Jar Jar Binks' as example A.

The toys like 'em or hate 'em are vast improvements over the first lines of the early 80s. There's just no if, and's or but's about it. If you were a 10 year old barking about how a new sculpt just isn't as "fun to play" with as an older vintage figure, then maybe I could see some of the points being made here, but let's get real, kids are meant to play with toys, and toys are meant to be played with by kids.

If we collect them we do so because of our own intrinsic values placed on us by years of trying to understand the star wars universe better. A kid doesn't have a grasp on the whole thing so they just couldn't care less.

:eek: Shocking...I know.

Is one sculpt better then the other? Hell, kids today (as well as collectors) are lucky Lucas has been making the whole trilogy backwards so kids can even play with them today. Had Episode I, II, and III not come out now, these new lines wouldn't have started in '95 at all!

After episode III all this craziness is going to be a thing of the past. I doubt there will be too many lines of figures after AOTC and lines for III so it might be a good idea to cherish what new sculpt you have now for it could very well be the last. :D

My original comment stands unchanged.

"You shouldn't dis HASBRO. They rock! Who's with me?"

N-2PF
07-17-2002, 03:53 PM
You've forgotten everything. You're extremly wrong.

OriginalBryGuy
07-17-2002, 04:05 PM

I've been collecting for a long time. I think you just haven't woke up yet. :D Not to worry N-2PF, you'll figure it out eventually.

jdmarlow
07-17-2002, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by N-2PF

N-2PF, I'm curious to see why you believe this as such.....On what grounds are you making this argument?

die-jarjar-die
07-17-2002, 07:16 PM
OK.....................HASBRO Rock do they? Well they may well do.....The figures upto POTJ HAVE been awesome! Im still a bit unsure on these new SAGA jobbies, the inferior shiny plastic & weapons bent completely out of shape by the industrial strength packaging really gets on my grits...

BUT............................

You should try living in the UK & then state that HASBRO are a-ok.

Beleve me, you would soon change your tune.

No exclusives, extremely bad distribution levels (in my town i am STILL waiting for any figures other than Obi Wan- Coruscant Chase, Anakin- Peasant crap, Padme- Arena & Jango - Kamino Escape). I have had my local store conact HASBRO UK several times, in fact a statement was issued saying that distribution of the REST of the collection would occur in mid June, well its NOW MID JULY and still nothing! So as far as I'm concerned.....

HASBRO SUCK!

and before anyone makes the comment

Yes i deserve it because I live in UK

& yes it sucks to be me :P

jdmarlow
07-17-2002, 07:20 PM
Distribution levels are Hasbro's fault, but sometimes the retail fronts are the ones to blame (TRU, KB, Wal-Mart, Target). Hasbro is sending the toys to vendors that buy a certain amount. When vendors don't buy, they don't send. The UK has seen its fair share of this sort of thing. So I don't think Hasbro is at fault all the time. It is very easy to say: "HASBRO SUCKS!!" without understanding the way the system actually works.

die-jarjar-die
07-17-2002, 07:28 PM
I understand what you are saying but the point I was trying to make and probably should have clarified is that I know how the system works.......The store in question had the ENTIRE range of SW saga toys ordered in March, expecting delivery April 23rd. The point I was making was that even when the stores ARE ordering, buying and selling a hefty amount, HASBRO UK are unable to provide what the retailer has ordered. As has happened before in the UK retail outlets are swamped with all the peg warmers.

Is it any wonder then that after such poor distribution levels on HASBRO's part that other UK retail outlets shy away from SW? I run a small retail store in the same town and if I was constantly sent 300 items that I didn't order more than, say, 50 of, just because my supplier had messed up their quantities and thought theyd better send me something, the stock then left sitting on my shelves gathering dust for, say, 12 months or more. These stock items then having to be reduced to a clearance cost which would mean I am making a loss on the entire range, THEY WOULD BE MY SUPPLIER NO LONGER! and my business would be bankrupt!

That was basically the point I was trying to make! hehehe

die-jarjar-die
07-17-2002, 07:29 PM
OK perhaps a less harsh response would be....

HASBRO UK SUCKS!!!!!

lol

jdmarlow
07-17-2002, 07:36 PM
Yousa point is well seen! Thank you for the clarification. I agree with you when it comes to situations such as these. But when you begin talking about supply and depend problems, you begin talking about the entire world of business unto itself. The ultimate goal of a business is to keep a perfect equilibrium between not too much to over stock, but just enough to feed the hungry. Hasbro tries, but sometimes just not hard enough I guess.

Rogue II
07-17-2002, 07:37 PM
I'm going to have to agree with jdmarlow. I'm not even going to try to figure out the distrobution problem.

The figures themselves are good. Sure, there is always something everyone wants to change on every figure. But this is a $5 toy so we can't exactly expect a perfect 3 3/4" replica of a movie character. I think they usually get pretty close with some exceptions (cough R5-D4 cough cough). I collected the vintage line when I was a kid and loved those figures. They still have a lot of sedimental value to me. But the modern line is so much better.

I don't really care about the variations and errors. I doubt the workers making them in China care either. Stuff happens, get over it.

I know, they haven't made every figure we want to see yet. Keep in mind that Hasbro has the action figure license until 2008.

jdmarlow
07-17-2002, 07:42 PM
Rogue II,

It's always nice to have someone on my side. :-)

die-jarjar-die
07-17-2002, 07:43 PM
Fair point jdmarlow, and here I shall let my flaming anger extinguish. I agree with your points and know there is nothing that can be done to resolve the matter. It was purely from my point of a view a bone of contention. Reading how you guys have come home from your day trips out with all your new treasures and finds makes me a jealous JarJar hater!

I have been able to find some of the other figures at specialist stores in the UK, but these are imported goods and so are priced extremely highly and I am learning to be patient in the hope that one day all these joyous items you guys will be bored to tears with by the time I manage to find one will magically appear in UK high street stores.........

Man can I dream or what?

Hahhaha

jdmarlow
07-17-2002, 07:47 PM
Jar Jar-die,

I know the feeling of emptiness when it comes to collecting. That's all I had for a whole year before Saga was released. And certainly, your point of view is that of many collectors that wish to see figures on the pegs. However, as long as you stick with it you will find what you are looking for....

die-jarjar-die
07-17-2002, 07:51 PM
jdmarlow,

Thanks for your kind words :) Im glad others out there do appreciate my anguish! I shall look forward to the day when all the figures I'm after appear in store.

Otherwise, eBay here I come :)

d-jj-d

Rogue II
07-17-2002, 07:55 PM
I feel for the European collectors. I'm in the military and was in Korea for a year and in Kuwait for 3.5 months. Luckily, my wife stayed in the US and knew what I was looking for.

die-jarjar-die
07-17-2002, 07:58 PM
I look forward to holdaying in the US at some point in the future....

An entire holiday spent buying SW items, coast to coast that I've yet to find over here:)

Now thats relaxation...

N-2PF
07-17-2002, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by jdmarlow
N-2PF, I'm curious to see why you believe this as such.....On what grounds are you making this argument?

So, Original Bry Guy posted

If we collect them we do so because of our own intrinsic values placed on us by years of trying to understand the star wars universe better. A kid doesn't have a grasp on the whole thing so they just couldn't care less.

And I think:

The Star Wars Universe is not that mystery in George Lukas mind you need to explore in years.
It was just a little bit of a fairytale: a farmerboy and a princess,
a bit of Metropolis: an art deco styled humanoid robot,
a bit of Silence in Space: a little robot without human voice,
a bit of Dune: a desert world
a bit of everything we've known before, nothing new –
just a Flash Gordon/Star Trek redesign

Just for the Kids... and they did understand. And they got the playing toys to recreate and evolve the Star Wars Universe.

Nowadays the kids of yesterday have become collectors. They try to be serious and grown-up. They won't play anymore. But they miss it. They collect the things they've learned to love. They say to themselves: It's very worthy, some item is on ebay for xxxx Dollars. It's like Wall Street.
"I'm not childish. I'm a serious collector."

In Vintage days, George Lukas wants the children to play, he wanted to keep control of it. He gave the licence to Kenner and he took influence. He forced Kenner to make weapons - even it was not political correct at that time. The never seen before 3 3/4" was invented only to fit figures in vehicles on normal sized packaging. It was the birth of making more than main characters from one movie.

Hasbro has eaten very much companys. And they got the licence again (Mattel's bid was 1,000,000,000.00) and you know what they did. They had done Batman before. And it was a selling line. The first 3 3/4" Star Wars figures they did were Batmannish! We were disappointed.
It took a while, but they learned resculpting sells. And if it sells, sell it twice, triple, multiple - resculpted. Therefore it shouldn't be perfect - at no time - it has to be resculpted for another selling!

It was not only the original trilogy that makes Star Wars a cult - it was the Vintage figures as well. 20 years long. The new figures only make it till another resculpt, a year or two? Nobody will remember them in 20 years from now.

Herby
07-18-2002, 10:43 AM
N-2PF...I'm confused why you are even in here posting if you dislike things so much with the new line - head to the vintage forums if that's all you care about.

First of all, I think it's great that Hasbro has had the freedom to give us the different versions of characters that they have. For example, you argue that you only needed one Darth Vader with the vintage line, thus implying that the different vaders we've had are pointless. If I were a kid in during the original releases (which I was, at least from Empire on...) I would have jumped at the chance to by the electrocuted Vader or the Vader with Luke's face behind the plate, because they are really neat.

I am admitting I'm childish. I'm an opencarded collector who loves having loose figures around on my desk at least a month before they even make it to my shelving. They are toys, not investments, not collectibles, and most of us here openly admit that.

Resculpts allow Hasbro to keep an old character on the shelf...and yes, make money from those of us that want everything. They are a business, that's what businesses do. You won't find a toy line that keeps putting the same figure out over and over again nowadays, it's bad business because kids would get bored seeing the same stuff over and over again, and they would never sell.

Finally, we should be thanking Hasbro for what they've done. With everyone complaining, just look at the options of the other companies that could have had the license.

Mattel: Terrible company...look at the Toy Story line, they've rehashed Buzz and Woody in more nonmovie ways that you could imagine.

McFarlane: Overpriced statues (which I own a few of, like the Kiss Lines). Of course they wouldn't resort to resculpts or repaints...wait, that's actually what they are known for. I swear they are going to put Kiss Spawn in the next Kiss line just because Spawn needs to come in every flavor possible. Oh, and it would come in regular, Pewter and Gold finishes.

Toybiz: Again, resculpt masters. Look at the Spidey movie line, it's had two waves and already 3 regular Spideys and one Peter Parker (that means over half the toys are the main character). Imagine two waves of SW in a row with half Lukes with different features, what fun!

Playmates: Simpsons. Exclusive collectors know exactly why this is a bad idea.

I'm just pointing out, things could be must worse. I also think your sense of nostalgia has clouded your views of the current offerings. Put the new Chewy next to the vintage and argue about quality. Heck, put the 1995 Chewy next to the vintage and argue about quality. Sorry this post got long, but I'm getting so frustrated with complete negativity.

OriginalBryGuy
07-18-2002, 02:38 PM
N-2PF stated: It was not only the original trilogy that makes Star Wars a cult - it was the Vintage figures as well. 20 years long. The new figures only make it till another resculpt, a year or two? Nobody will remember them in 20 years from now.

I think N-2PF has a little too much to drink before he posts here. Nobody will remember then in 20 years? Star Wars a cult? haha..I'm sorry, but I think you missed the entire point of this thread. :D

Heck, I'm not even sure what N-2PF's point is!

Chiesa
07-18-2002, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Rogue II
I feel for the European collectors. I'm in the military and was in Korea for a year and in Kuwait for 3.5 months. Luckily, my wife stayed in the US and knew what I was looking for.

Hahaha how abt me?? Things are pretty over priced here! Arghhh!!:cry:

sith_killer_99
07-19-2002, 06:44 AM
I have to disagree with OriginalBryGuy's original statement.

If it weren't for Hasbro (who bought Kenner). Then Kenner would STILL be making Star Wars toys. Not to mention ALL the toy companies that have vied for the PRIVILEGE to mfg. Star Wars toys.

So without Hasbro we would still have SW toys. Here are some possible examples:

Toy Biz: The company that pioneered the 30+ points of articulation in a 6 inch figure line!!! Just imagine what they could do for a 4 inch line. Every figure would have at least a dozen points of articulation. And NO GIMMICKS!

McFarlane: The company that pioneered accuracy in sculpt and detail. They have experience in 6 inch, 9 inch, and even 12 inch lines! Just imagine what they could do for SW! And NO GIMMICKS!

InToyz: The company that pioneered working detailed accessories. Just look at what they have done with their 4 inch line! All holsters work with removable guns, gas masks, back packs, flack vests (with removable radios!) even removable hoods and helmets! And NO GIMMICKS

But these are just my humble opinions. Hasbro could do MUCH better, it's just that they don't care. All they want is money, they could care less if they are the best at even ONE aspect of the industry. They buy and sell BIG names. That's it! That's their hook.

Get the contract for SW and MILK it.

Re-issue (make) G.I. Joes and milk it.

Transformers are hot now. Milk it.

Meanwhile you have smaller companies trying to compete. Their hook is better quality, better sculpts, better articulation (HINT-PLAYABILITY)!

:crazed:

aikman
07-19-2002, 08:59 AM
I like what hasbro has done, BUT
dont tell me these figs orig $5.99 price is value.
You get 2 gi joes for $6- 7 or other figure lines which are much larger in scale with minor price increase.

Star wars figures are expensive, because of the plastic...no, because they overpaid for the license...

Beast
07-19-2002, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by aikman
I like what hasbro has done, BUT
dont tell me these figs orig $5.99 price is value.
You get 2 gi joes for $6- 7 or other figure lines which are much larger in scale with minor price increase.

Star wars figures are expensive, because of the plastic...no, because they overpaid for the license...
The $5.99 price isn't bad, when you consider inflation on the vintage figure original prices comes out the same. Gettting them for $4.77-$4.99 is even better. Remeber that Hasbro owns the G.I. Joe franchise. They don't have to pay anyone for the rights, other people pay them. And I disagree that they overpayed for the license, they paid what was needed to not only secure the E1 line, but to retain the line thru the prequels. Beter them then some other company that would have changed the scale. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

aikman
07-19-2002, 09:21 AM
I couldnt disagree more,
and remember 6.99 or more was the typical price...

sith_killer_99
07-19-2002, 09:44 AM
What about the $7.99 price tag TRU had on the EP1 figures when they first came out!

OriginalBryGuy
07-19-2002, 10:12 AM
I have to disagree with OriginalBryGuy's original statement.

If it weren't for Hasbro (who bought Kenner). Then Kenner would STILL be making Star Wars toys. Not to mention ALL the toy companies that have vied for the PRIVILEGE to mfg. Star Wars toys.

But these are just my humble opinions. Hasbro could do MUCH better, it's just that they don't care. All they want is money, they could care less if they are the best at even ONE aspect of the industry. They buy and sell BIG names. That's it! That's their hook.

Meanwhile you have smaller companies trying to compete. Their hook is better quality, better sculpts, better articulation (HINT-PLAYABILITY)!

Sith Killer, what are you talking about. It's common knowledge that the vintage series of Star Wars figures, had as many or more variations then today's figs. In fact, I believe it's even quoted on Sirsteve's site somewhere. The reality is, even if production, sculping and the like was in someone else's hands, you and the rest of the HASBRO defectors would be *****ing and moaning just as much.

Every company wants money. Older figures had about zero articulation. Slowly but surely, they are working more in. Remember old, and current 3 3/4 GI Joe's! Look at that articulation. Check the box. Who's making those figures? That's right...HASBRO.

It's not a question of whether or not HASBRO could or couldn't do articulated Star Wars figures. They could, but it's obvious they're putting more time into sculpts and painting which (IMHO) is a good route.

Playability is in the eye of the beholder. Just because something is more articulated doesn't always mean the playability is higher. It helps, but Playability is a hard term to really define.

Capitan_Moroni
07-19-2002, 10:41 AM
ahhh, this thread reminds me of a little conversation between Lisa and the Comic Book guy concerning Itchy and Scratchy....

Comic Book guy: "As a fan, I feel they owe me"

Lisa: "How do they owe you? They've given you thousands of hours of free entertainment!"

Comic Book guy: "...worst episode ever!"

:)

OriginalBryGuy
07-19-2002, 11:01 AM
Comic Book guy: "As a fan, I feel they owe me" Lisa: "How do they owe you? They've given you thousands of hours of free entertainment!"

That's a good point. As my title says, "You shouldn't dis Hasbro. They Rock. Who's with me?"

In my heart of hearts I don't feel they really owe me anything. But looking at the big picture, and really seeing everything they make...

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Action Man
BeyBlade
Butt Ugly Martians
GI Joe
Hamtaro
Jurassic Park
Medabots
Men In Black II
Monsters, Inc.
Planet of the Apes
Star Wars
Starting Lineup
Transformers
Zoids
---------------------------------------------------
Creative Play Toys & Fun Ideas
Easy-Bake
LITE-BRITE
Play-Doh
Spirograph
Tinkertoy
----------------------------------
BattleBots
Tonka
------------------------------------
Infant/Preschool Portal
Baby Einstein
Bob the Builder
Mr. Potato Head
Play-Doh
Playskool
Shoezies
Tinkertoy
Tonka
-----------------------------------
Baby Einstein
The Botster
Dino-Chi: Pterodactyl
Dino-Chi: T-Rex
e-kara
eSpecially My Barney
Furby
Harry Potter
HitClips
i-Cybie
Mutsu
OttoBot
Petal-Chi
Poo-Chi
Power Air Surfer
POX
Robo-Baby
Shelby
Super Poo-Chi
Bob the Builder
Monsters, Inc.
Stuart Little
----------------------------------------
Hasbro's Disney Portal
Disney's Return to Never Land
Lilo & Stitch
Monsters, Inc.
----------------------------------------

...to name a few..makes me realize HASBRO probably deserves more praise then it gets from people who gripe and moan about them. If you don't like what they make...don't buy it. Simple as that. Nobody is forcing anyone into buying what they make. If enough people don't buy their toys, they'll loose the license and someone else will make it to the delight of some of you. I just wouldn't look for that to happen anytime soon.

So if that's the reality, why be a pesimist! Send an e-mail to Hasbro and tell them what you think!

http://www.hasbro.com/pl/page.customer_help/dn/default.cfm

The only thing HASBRO owes anyone is a paycheck to those who work for them. =P

JangoFart
07-19-2002, 11:25 AM
Geesh....

Reading some of these nonsensical rantings are tiring. It's clear that some of the posters here couldn't find their own butt even if it was stuffed with Uranium and they were handed a Geiger Counter. (Homage to "Silver Bullet" there, for those who have heard that one before.) To avoid being rude, I won't mention any names. But, you know who you are! :)

Back to the topic at hand: As I said earlier, I'm happy that Star Wars figures are being made. I'm not particularly attached to Hasbro or any other company, for that matter. If "Honest Joe's Toys" got the license and, ON THE WHOLE, did it justice, as done Hasbro, I'd buy Joe's toys too.

The bottom line is: It is good to be a Star Wars fan nowadays. Our Jones is getting fed. Maybe not in exactly the same manner as we'd like - but, it's getting fed and fed well. Enjoy it or move along to something else.

J

sith_killer_99
07-19-2002, 12:20 PM
What do you mean "what am I talking about?"

I am talking about companies OTHER than Hasbro. Kenner was a seperate company LONG before Hasbro came along. And they would still be cranking out SW figures if Hasbro had not bought them out. That is what I am talking about.

So, without Hasbro we WOULD still have SW toys.

Remember, I said that I was refrencing to your ORIGINAL post. That means the first thing you posted. You know, in your ORIGINAL message. LOL

I did not even MENTION variations? So where did that come from???

I know Kenner started the whole variation (Star Wars) thing back in 1978! Heck I started a thread about it in the vintage section!:rolleyes:

The fact is that even if someone else was handling the SW line MOST of us WOULD continue to critique ("***** and moan" about) the mfg.

That's how things get BETTER! If everyone just said "Oh thank you soo much for this PAPER WEIGHT Royal Guard (POTF2)." Then we would NEVER have gotten the SAGA Royal Guard! In fact we'd all still be playing with (I mean collecting) the old vintage style figures.

BTW, I collected old AND new G.I. Joes and they both have TONS of articulation. Except for the new sculpts they are bascily the same figures.

I understand that every company wants to make money. What with being raised in a capitalist society and having a basic understanding of the fundamentals of economics. But let's face it Hasbro has been LOSING money for some time now. That's happening for a reason.

I just get irritaed by STUPID moves by Hasbro. Here's a CLASSIC example of Hasbro stupidity:

Chewbacca! I bought a POTJ Chewie (aka Chess Chewie). I was impressed with the leg articulation, the arms could have been better. I "******* and moaned" as you put it. No big deal, I mentioned the dislike of the elbows being stuck in one position.

Now Hasbro releases the SAGA Chewie with C-3PO. I open him up and see AWESOME articulation in his arms!!! But Hasbro, in all their infinite wisdom decided to go with non-articulated legs?!?!

This was just plain stupid! First of all they had to spend MORE money to produce the figure because they had to pay someone to sculpt new legs. Secondly it is now an inferior product. Had they just re-used the legs from the first POTJ Chewie this Chewbacca would have been PERFECT.

That's right...no need for another one.

When most of us critique Hasbro it's for good reasons. We as a community hope that Hasbo will listen to us and do positive things. Often times they have.

I have given Hasbro their props on MANY ocassions. The POTJ line is their best work to date. Collectively speaking.

I'm not going to get too deep into the whole "Playability issue" with the new gimmick figures. All I can say is "I feel like I'm gonna break this da#n thing."

As for Hasbro putting time into painting, let's just say that I have seen some of the worst paint jobs ever in the new line. And thier sculpts may be on par with the POTJ line but they are certainly not any better. Their time is spent on coming up with stupid gimmicks.:rolleyes:

I am not a Hasbro defector. I am no longer a completist because of the SAGA line. But I am not a defector. I have always given criticisim as well as praise to Hasbro, when they are earned.

In your original post you said "We all owe HASBRO a lot. Hell, this site and forum wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for them."

Well, I owe Hasbro NOTHING!!! I paid for every figure I own. They got their payment! So I owe Hasbro nothing...including loyalty. If ToyBiz got the license tomorrow you can bet they would be the ones getting my money.

And the last time I checked this site was not owned by Hasbro. SSG.com would be here if SW was mfg. by McFarlane. The sections would just be named differently.

The only ones I have to thank are George Lucas and my fellow collectors. GL GAVE us Star Wars, and my fellow collectors keep it profitable enough for toy companies to keep making new stuff.

So I would like to thank the REAL power behind Star Wars Action Figures.....

The collectors and the fans!

Thank you ;)

OriginalBryGuy
07-19-2002, 02:27 PM
I am talking about companies OTHER than Hasbro. Kenner was a seperate company LONG before Hasbro came along. And they would still be cranking out SW figures if Hasbro had not bought them out. That is what I am talking about.

That much is obvious, and not a debate. But the fact remains that Hasbro has done a good job, and most people see that.

That's how things get BETTER! If everyone just said "Oh thank you soo much for this PAPER WEIGHT Royal Guard (POTF2)." Then we would NEVER have gotten the SAGA Royal Guard! In fact we'd all still be playing with (I mean collecting) the old vintage style figures.

You're obviously missing my point here. I see lopsided support for Hasbro on most Star Wars boards I frequent. I just want to see some balance. Hasbro has problems but they aren't all bad. I think realistically, the figures would get better whether we said much or not.

Now Hasbro releases the SAGA Chewie with C-3PO. I open him up and see AWESOME articulation in his arms!!! But Hasbro, in all their infinite wisdom decided to go with non-articulated legs?!?!

Did you check the picture on the box? Hello? In that scene when does Chewie ever sit and take a break? He's standing and running the entire time he's escaping till they got back to the Falcon. You did see the movie right? :rolleyes: There was no need for that particular Chewie to have articulated legs. Sure it would have been cool, but I'm not going to gripe because it's not there - it just didn't need to be!

As for Hasbro putting time into painting, let's just say that I have seen some of the worst paint jobs ever in the new line.

This has been a widely debated issue. For me, I feel Hasbro is doing a hell of a good job on paint. Orn Free Ta, Palpatine, Luminara....I hardly consider those bad paint jobs at all, yet people still go on about "the worst paint jobs ever in the new line". I just don't think it's that bad.

In your original post you said "We all owe HASBRO a lot. Hell, this site and forum wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for them."

Well, I owe Hasbro NOTHING!!! I paid for every figure I own. They got their payment! So I owe Hasbro nothing...including loyalty. If ToyBiz got the license tomorrow you can bet they would be the ones getting my money.

And the last time I checked this site was not owned by Hasbro. SSG.com would be here if SW was mfg. by McFarlane. The sections would just be named differently.

When I said "we owe Hasbro a lot" I meant we (we in this case being collectors) owe Hasbro (Hasbro in this case meaning the company that currently makes the figures we love to talk about so much ) some respect (respect in this case meaning a relation or reference to a particular thing or situation remarks having respect to an earlier plan 2 : an act of giving particular attention : CONSIDERATION 3 a : high or special regard ) for churning out some great Star Wars figures over the years.

I also meant we owe Hasbro for not screwing up major releases as much as it could have and listening more to the fans, for making the figures that sites such as SirSteveGuide is based on.

Basically, I'm saying we owe them a simple thanks once in awhile, and maybe not the pointless banter most dish out on the board (your comments included Sith). I never said we owed them loyalty, or money. Again, I'd just like to see some balance. Personally, I think they've been doing a stellar job overall and continue to applaud them when they do right.

I had the opportunity to talk with them at Celebration II and know for a fact that they do the best they can.

So I would like to thank the REAL power behind Star Wars Action Figures..... The Collectors and the Fans!

Add Hasbro in there and I'd say that's the most intelligent quote you had in that post. :happy:

sith_killer_99
07-19-2002, 05:58 PM
Did you check the picture on the box? Hello? In that scene when does Chewie ever sit and take a break? He's standing and running the entire time he's escaping till they get to the Falcon.

Um, the figure is carded not boxed. LOL;)

The figure is titled Chewbacca Cloud City Capture.

Not Cloud City Escape. Though, you are correct, the PICTURE is from the ESCAPE scene. Yet another oversight by Hasbro. LOL

Plus they gave him a gun! Chewie didn't have a gun while he was a prisoner, he grabbed it when he escaped. Ooops, another oversight by Hasbro.LOL

The scene I am refering to is when Chewbacca is in the jail cell on Cloud City. It takes place right after Vader tells Lando "It would be unfortunate if I had to leave a Garrison here." Then it cuts to Chewie re-attatching C-3PO's head (backwards) LOL. Hence the reason for the electronic C-3PO with a removable head.

Anyway, in that scene, Chewie is SITTING down and working on C-3PO. Then two Stormtrooopers bring in Han.

You did see the movie right?

Um, yeah. ;)

IMO, the paint job thing is debatable. It seems to have started at the tail end of the POTJ line. And not all figures have been affected. So I will give you that one. But I still do not think that they have made any IMPROVEMENTS in their paint jobs. EP1 had some awesome paint jobs...especially WATTO!

I will give credit to many of the sculptors who work at Hasbro. I will even give credit to Hasbro itself for cranking out 3-4 figures a month in non-movie years. I can even give credit to Hasbro for coming up with some obscure figures. I do have a certain amount of respect for Hasbro, they fought to keep the Star Wars license, and paid for it BIG time.

However that does not mean that we shouldn't be a bit critical of their products. Let's face it, we, as collectors spend a great deal of money on this hobby. So we tend to demand quality.

This does not mean that we hate Hasbro. I have posted MANY positive remarks about Hasbro and their products.

Here are a few of my prior posts in regards to Hasbro:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6203

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9244

JediTricks
07-20-2002, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by Capitan_Moroni
ahhh, this thread reminds me of a little conversation between Lisa and the Comic Book guy concerning Itchy and Scratchy....

Comic Book guy: "As a fan, I feel they owe me"

Lisa: "How do they owe you? They've given you thousands of hours of free entertainment!"

:) Ah, but if it weren't for people watching Itchy & Scratchy, the advertisers wouldn't pay I&S Studios to make the show. I'm not saying they OWE the CBG, but realistically, if they continue to make an inferior product, then CBG will explain to people he knows what's gone wrong and they might get it in their heads and then it'd all end up like Euro-Itchy & Scratchyland.

Sometimes I feel like Hasbro is run by greedy corporate stooges who have nothing in mind but ruining the concept of making fun toys. I don't think they deserve much of the praise being lofted upon them, I think that if any people deserve praise for the line, it's the designers NOT the executive vice-presidents and the (mis)management teams that are put in charge of divisions like Star Wars. Any company that would make tens of thousands of R2 holo Leias, stuff only ONE of them into tens of thousands of cases of products that were already not selling and then let these cases rot on warehouse shelves for a year is not "rocking" - they didn't want to sell them to TRU at super close-out prices, they wanted us to pay inflated prices and buy all the pegwarmers that came with this figure. Any company that would buy out Galoob and then shut down one of the best toy lines in the world because of overproduction of ONE wave is not doing SW fans or toybuyers any good turns there. Any company that would watch aftermarket demand for figures like Yoda and Dooku and still send them out in less than 1 out 10 cases for 3 months at a time is not looking out for its potential buyers, especially when they KNEW that these figures were going to be hot and chose not to ship more of them in the all-important first month when kids were showing interest. Hasbro makes many missteps (and not just in SW, as a Batman, Superman, Transformers, and GI Joe buyer, I feel they have a LOT more to answer for) so I don't think it'd be right for me to act like a Hasbro cheerleader.

sith_killer_99
07-20-2002, 02:14 PM
JT, you hit the nail on the head.

I do not care for many of Hasbro's practices (short packing figures, etc.). Or some of their stupid (IMO) ideas. I threw out my deluxe EP1 figures and I refuse to buy some of the new figures for the same reason.

However, there are some great folks that work for Hasbro. The sculptors and many of the designers really do an outstanding job.

As I have said before, Hasbro has shown us some outstanding work (CommTech Stormtrooper, Removable Helmet Vader, Dagobah Spirit Vader, Emperor's Wrath Vader, MMC C-3PO, SAGA Royal Guard)

I have even defended the Epic Force line, which many here have do not care for.

To each their own.;)

DarthBrandon
07-20-2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Hasbro makes many missteps (and not just in SW, as a Batman, Superman, Transformers, and GI Joe buyer, I feel they have a LOT more to answer for) so I don't think it'd be right for me to act like a Hasbro cheerleader.

I'm with JT on this one, for everything he mentioned and more. If they acted like they cared about the customers, none of these concerns would even be here i.e. inconsistency, poor assortment balance otherwise known as short packing figures, and just plain deaf ears. If anyone should be given thankx and praise, it should be the designers and sculptors like sith_killer_99 mentioned. Like it or not, all of us will have different views on this matter, I for one am not going to be a supporter ( Hasbro cheerleader ) either, they have alot of work ahead of them before I decide to join their squad.

bigbarada
07-21-2002, 01:44 AM
Hasbro is a multi-national corporation, thus they don't care about one or two million Star Wars fans. Their only goal is to make money, if pretending that they care will help them make money, then they will do so.

I will give credit to the sculptors, since it really seems like they are interested in making good toys, but the powers-that-be at Hasbro have tied their hands.

Remember, Hasbro's entire reason for existence is to make money, if they can't do that with Star Wars then they will drop it like a hot potato and not shed a single tear.

Thus, the Hasbro corporation gets no respect from me.

JediTricks
07-21-2002, 05:52 AM
It's sad, toymakers I grew up with like LEGO, Kenner, and even Galoob were not just in it for the money, so I guess I expected better from other toymakers. Mattel at least has a printed guarantee/warantee on their products, anything goes wrong with one of their toys and it's their fault, they'll fix it or get you a new one. I'm sure they're not perfect at this, but I've had a few encounters where they really did come through - with Hasbro, it's been "we no longer have one of those, but we can replace it with a toy from another line of equal value" if I'm lucky enough to get a response at all. Kenner when they still existed would replace lost Star Wars figure accessories, Hasbro says "sorry kid, not our problem" even though they printed "We Really Do Care" on their packaging for quite a while. LEGO was started by a man whose entire life was dedicated to making toys for the local village children, the company still tries to live up to the high quality standards that the company was started with by ensuring top quality materials and extremely tight manufacturing processes; Hasbro has a quality control department that lets tons of errors go by every day. In fact, a post I did from last night explains what I'm talking about there:

I've bought an awful lot of toys over the years and I have NEVER seen any ratio even remotely approaching the amount of errors this SAGA line has. It's not like Hasbro's running off a million of these a day. For example, at most they shipped 50,000 Kit Fistos so far, wouldn't you say? I believe they said a full run of one fig is 100,000 units, right? Of that, I live in a major metropolitan area but it's not like we get SO many more figures than a city like Baltimore, so let's say Los Angeles gets 1/20th of that run, that's 2,500 Kit Fistos in LA and there's no way I could have seen them all, obviously, but let's say I've seen 1/10th of them, that means I've seen 250 Kit Fistos in the past 3 months, not including the same figure more than once. In that time, I've seen 6 broken sabers, over a dozen severely messed-up paint jobs (my fav was the perfectly blacked-out front tooth), and the one I own had the magnet pop out of the hand. That means that out of 250 Kit Fistos, perhaps over 20 of them were errors, that's a "fail" percentage of almost 10%, including the unlikely possibility that the one I would pick up would be a "fail" as well (the odds against that being at least 250 to 1, probably double that since I was super-careful in picking mine). Can you honestly tell me a 10% fail ratio sounds like a reasonable amount of quality control to you? If one roll of toilet paper in a 12pack gave you hemorrhoids, would that be acceptable to you? If you bought 100 action stands and 10 pegs broke off in your 10 figures' foot holes because the defective pegs had large imperfections in them, would you consider that money well-spent?

I'm not saying that Hasbro is totally evil or totally worthless, but the company wasn't even started as a toymaker, the Hassenfeld brothers started out making textiles and then moved on to school supplies. They're a corporation that just happens to make toys, but they don't feel like a "toymaker" -- and that's why some people think I "dis" Hasbro. I'm not trying to be negative, I want to like Hasbro, I want to like the line, but somebody set us up the bomb. (Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;))

sith_killer_99
07-21-2002, 08:33 AM
I hear what you're saying about LEGO! Man, they have a great quality control department.

I own several Star Wars LEGO sets, and guess what...I have NEVER had a SINGLE piece missing from ANY set!

That's right not 1 missing piece, and if I had LEGO would have replaced it free of charge.

I have, however found EXTRA pieces. Usually 2-4 on AVERAGE!!!

It's like LEGO tells their employees "Hey, if you're not sure, put it in. It's better to have extra than to be missing a piece."

Think about LEGO! How many BILLIONS of tiny pieces do they pack into boxes and sell. Yet, despite all that they seldom even short change a customer, and if they do, they try to make it up to them.

Now that's QC!;)

steve3p0
07-21-2002, 09:18 AM
i see far more positive things about hasbro's work than i see negatives.
over the years theyve increased the detail of the toys, improved packaging , and lowered the price.
particularly since the release of ep2 toys , i think hasbro is moving in a very positive direction.

DarthBrandon
07-21-2002, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by steve3p0
i see far more positive things about hasbro's work than i see negatives.
over the years theyve increased the detail of the toys, improved packaging , and lowered the price.
particularly since the release of ep2 toys , i think hasbro is moving in a very positive direction.

They can increase detail, improve packaging and lower prices, but it doesn't change the fact that they are inconsistent, they short pack figures when they know that they are popular with kids and collectors, and they rarely replace lost parts or accessories that were not put in the package without a squabble. I for one have much more respect for a company like Lego, cause like sith_killer_99 and JT said Lego has top-notch quality control. They have never had any missing pieces on the numerous Lego sets I have bought, if anything they had more pieces than they should have just to be safe. Another company Toy Biz in my opinion puts out excellent action figures with like 30 points of articulation and this gives the kids a lot more play value for their money compared to Hasbro toys. I have never seen any errors or defects with their toys to this date, but I'm sure that there are a few as apposed to the thousands that Hasbro has sent out. Point being Hasbro is driven by making money, not by making good quality products ( toys) that they will stand by. If they really cared then they wouldn't let out the thousand ( S ) plus errors and they would make figures with good articulation i.e. bending knees and arms etc. Believe it or not, this makes a difference to kids; my son will not play with his S.W. action figures as much as he does play with his Toy Biz action figures, because he has stated that they don't move enough for him. They are boring dad, was his exact words. He's only four years old, so in my opinion Hasbro has a long way to go.

OriginalBryGuy
07-21-2002, 10:41 AM
Um, the figure is carded not boxed. LOL

I think everyone who reads these forums knew what I meant. No need to be a tard about it.

Though, you are correct, the PICTURE is from the ESCAPE scene. Yet another oversight by Hasbro. LOL

As long as the picture somewhat goes with the figure that's displayed I'm happy. Escape or Capture could work for the scene.
And think about this. If they had used knees that bent on Chewie you would have griped that they rehashed the older Chewie fig. I don't think Hasbro could make you happy at this point.

But I still do not think that they have made any IMPROVEMENTS in their paint jobs. EP1 had some awesome paint jobs...especially WATTO!

Maybe you need to get your eyes checked again. Paint jobs are great, and better now then they have been.

I do have a certain amount of respect for Hasbro, they fought to keep the Star Wars license, and paid for it BIG time.

And that's the point of this thread. Thanks for finaly joining.

However that does not mean that we shouldn't be a bit critical of their products. Let's face it, we, as collectors spend a great deal of money on this hobby. So we tend to demand quality.

I never said we shouldn't be critical ever. Again, not the point of this thread. And here you were doing so good Sith Killer... As collectors we can and do spend a lot of money on figures, however most just sit on the sidelines and take it. There's a lot of people who are completists which, I think make up a good portion of collectors or they/you wouldn't be griping so much. Variations, mishaps here or there? Who really cares? Overall, I'm just happy to get the figure I want as part of my collection. I see the bigger picture of this whole thing and I believe a lot of collectors do.

This does not mean that we hate Hasbro. I have posted MANY positive remarks about Hasbro and their products.

And that's all I'm looking for here.

jdmarlow
07-21-2002, 10:53 AM
Bryguy is on the ball all the way! Nobody is perfect, especially a multi-national toy company. BUT, if we can find the positive within the negative then we can all have a lot more fun.

200th post, woo hoo!

sith_killer_99
07-21-2002, 11:10 AM
No need to be a tard about it.

The whole boxed/carded thing was a JOKE hence the LOL at the end.:rolleyes:

At no time have I resorted to name calling here. I had thought perhaps we had a genuine exchange of ideas going here.

When folks resort to personal attacks it's time for me to hang it up. I just don't feel that it's appropriate.

OriginalBryGuy
07-21-2002, 01:30 PM
Bryguy is on the ball all the way! Nobody is perfect, especially a multi-national toy company. BUT, if we can find the positive within the negative then we can all have a lot more fun.

Thanks Jdmarlow! You're hearing me for sure!

The whole boxed/carded thing was a JOKE hence the LOL at the end. At no time have I resorted to name calling here. I had thought perhaps we had a genuine exchange of ideas going here. When folks resort to personal attacks it's time for me to hang it up. I just don't feel that it's appropriate.

Sith, you've been around for hundreds of posts. You know how forums work. By pointing out my wording mistake you were emphasizing something to make me look back, hence, you're little attack. I just responded.

You need a thicker skin if you're going to try to get your points across down here in the thread front line. LOL means Laugh Out Loud while JK means Just Kidding. If it is a joke you should probably say so. E-mail and Forums isn't the same as face to face conversation. :rolleyes:

Dar' Argol
07-21-2002, 09:00 PM
Ok, I don't even remebered who posted the Scout trooper pick, But I feel that is wasn't a good choice. So, I have another. Now unfortunatly, I could only get the Archives pic from here but, here it is:

Dar' Argol
07-21-2002, 09:17 PM
And here is a pic of the vintage Vader Vs. Saga Vader.

I feel that compared to what Kenner use to do and what Hasbro started to do, these figs are awesome. Yeah, they have some problems, but what figs don't. There will always be fans out there to nit-pick something like this and never be satisfied:( And the short packing issue is whinding down I think. Yeah, right now Dooku, and Yoda is a little hard to find in some areas, but we also said that about Taun We and Mace, and Several other figs. Guess what, you can find them now. The case assortments are getting better.

Paint, that will always be an issue. Because if they are painted by hand, every person paints differntly, and if its painted by machine, on misplaced fig, and a couple thousand are ruined. So there again, no ones happy.

I do not have a problem with the poses in most of the figs. I remember being a kid and thinking, If he was molded like this, it would look really cool!! I like the Luminari pose, I like the Plo Koon pose. I do not like the old vintage pose!! You could do nothing with them:(

I for one am happy with Hasbro progression over the years. Things have been much better. And I hope to see many more figures,(of course we will:D), in the future. I hope Hasbro continues long after the movies are all over:D. Be happy for what we have, because we could have nothing:(.

Herby
07-21-2002, 09:24 PM
One other thing that should be mentioned is that all sorts of people keep saying "back when Kenner handled things", "back in the glory days of Kenner".

It's worth noting two things:

1.) If Kenner hadn't been bought by Hasbro, there's no way it could have afforded the SW license when it went up for grabs (Mattel offered a ton of money that Kenner couldn't have matched)

2.) Kenner was more inconsistant that Hasbro ever was. They shipped the same figure on multiple cards, often changed labelling, made MANY weapons mispackaging errors, changed head sizes...and worse of all manufactured in different countries causing versions made in one place noticeably different from others.

I don't think Hasbro is flawless...but they are much better than some people give them credit for. People who are critical in their figures or debate features aren't to blame, it's more the topics that start "Hasbro messed up again..." "Hasbro hates collectors" and "Hasbro has ruined collecting" that I'm talking about.

rynobot
07-21-2002, 09:28 PM
I don't feel it's fair to compare the vintage figures to the new ones. The technology of toy making has exploded over the last decade. Comparing vintage figures to any SW figure made in 1990s-Now is like comparing a computer or game consule from 1978-1985 to a computer made in the last couple of years or a game consule from the last couple of years.

stad
07-21-2002, 10:58 PM
Overall I have no major complaints about the figs. One thing I would like to know, though, why not use the O-ring body design like with G.I. Joe? This design worked great for me as a kid in the 80's and they went back to it after experimenting with the "Star Wars" figure design. It seems to me this would solve many of the pose problems, especially with legs.

bigbarada
07-22-2002, 12:21 AM
I don't like the idea of using the GI Joe "O-Ring" body. It's too fragile and prone to dryrotting.

I am more than satisfied with the articulation given the figures now, that is one of the things I feel Hasbro does right. Just to show that I am capable of being positive about the state of affairs, here is a list of things that I really like from the Saga line:

Over-accessorized figures, better too much than too little.

More obscure characters like Djas Puhr, Ephant Mon (even though we voted for him) and Teemto.

Two faces for the Endor Rebel Trooper, well that's the plan anyway......

Magnets, very cool feature

Correct scale figures, Bespin Luke is no longer as tall as Vader. Chewie is HUGE!

Metal Lightsaber hilts and removable blades.

The knees joints on FB Jango, Bespin Luke and Red Cloney.

Those are the things I really dig about the new line, I've talked about the things I don't like ad nauseum and since this thread is about being positive, I won't mention them here.:)

Nexu
07-22-2002, 12:33 AM
I like the new sabre hilts, the wing joints on the geonosion warrior, and just everything, overall. You look back, to even the E1 figs, and its just WOW. They have come a long way. ;) There are some good ones though.

Herby
07-22-2002, 07:02 AM
I like the magnets...if they are strong enough. My Bespin Luke is an example of a perfect use of magnets, you actually have to pull his hand off.

My favorite things:

Chewy (he's so good he counts as an item by himself!)
Large Accessories
Battery powered figures at standard price
Standard price is 5 bucks!
Deluxe line is improving
The blue cards are purty

OriginalBryGuy
07-23-2002, 09:26 AM
I dig the magnets too! It's a nice touch and makes sense.

OriginalBryGuy
07-29-2002, 10:47 AM
I for one am happy with Hasbro progression over the years. Things have been much better. And I hope to see many more figures,(of course we will), in the future. I hope Hasbro continues long after the movies are all over. Be happy for what we have, because we could have nothing.

Exactly! :D