PDA

View Full Version : Luke recognized Ben Kenobi...

AdmiralPiett
07-15-2002, 03:40 PM
In ANH, Luke recognized Ben Kenobi before Ben even introduced himself. Do you think it was the force giving Luke a gut feeling who he was? Did they meet before? Was Ben Kenobi famous on Tatooine for being a hermit and Luke just recognized him? Your thoughts...

Pendo
07-15-2002, 03:55 PM
They had met before!

PENDO!

LTBasker
07-15-2002, 03:57 PM
"Obi-Wan... I wonder if he means old Ben?"

Jek Porky 2002
07-15-2002, 04:40 PM
Obi-Wan had been watching Luke ever since he was born, whenever Luke would go a stray or get lost as a child, Ben would go and take him back to the Lars' home.

BoShek
07-15-2002, 10:25 PM
Jek Porky 2002 is right. I believe Obi Wan met up with Luke a few times.

DarthBatman
07-15-2002, 11:20 PM
I always assumed that they'd met up before.

AdmiralPiett
07-15-2002, 11:54 PM
I always thought that they had never met before because Uncle Owen said "He died about the same time as your father." Obviously his Uncle lied and told him that his father was killed before he was born or else Luke would've wanted to find him. So it just surprises me that everyone says that they had met before.
Piett

Beast
07-16-2002, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by AdmiralPiett
I always thought that they had never met before because Uncle Owen said "He died about the same time as your father." Obviously his Uncle lied and told him that his father was killed before he was born or else Luke would've wanted to find him. So it just surprises me that everyone says that they had met before.
Piett
Uncle Owen was refering to a person namesd "Obi-Wan Kenobi", not the hermit that was known as "Old Ben Kenobi". Even though they turn out to be one in the same, it could have been possible that they were just related. He was just telling Luke that to ensure that Luke wouldn't go seeking "Obi-Wan" out, so told him that he had died at the same time as his father. So that doesn't discount the fact that Luke and Ben could have met before, he obviously knows about "Old Ben". He of course wouldn't know anything about "Obi-Wan Kenobi" though. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi Knightrider
07-16-2002, 12:02 AM
No, I'm not sure, but I think Owen was trying to make Luke think that Obi-Wan and Ben were two different people. I think he was trying to get Luke to believe that Obi-Wan was dead, not necessarily Ben. As we know, Luke isn't sure if R2 means Ben:

"He says his master is an Obi-Wan Kenobi. I was wondering if he could mean old Ben..."

or something close to that.

Beast
07-16-2002, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Knightrider
No, I'm not sure, but I think Owen was trying to make Luke think that Obi-Wan and Ben were two different people. I think he was trying to get Luke to believe that Obi-Wan was dead, not necessarily Ben. As we know, Luke isn't sure if R2 means Ben:

"He says his master is an Obi-Wan Kenobi. I was wondering if he could mean old Ben..."

or something close to that.
Thanks for capturing what I was trying to say more simply. I was having trouble putting exactly what I was trying to say into words. Hope that between Jedi Knightrider and my posts, we helped clear up that question. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

AdmiralPiett
07-16-2002, 12:29 AM
Yeah, it clarified it for me pretty well also. Thanks guys!
Piett

icatch9
07-16-2002, 08:05 AM
Yes they had meet befor. In the radio drama Luke recalls a time when his friend Windy (another farm boy) got lost and in trouble in the desert. Ben came and saved the day, and took them back home. This was also the time when Ben first tried to give Luke his lightsaber, but Owen wouldn't have it. So, Luke had meet him befor, but only knew him as Ben, not Obi Wan. He thougt Obi Wan may be a relative of Ben's. It is clear that they had meet, but at the same time I bet that Luke had a feeling that it was Ben.

Jedi Knightrider
07-16-2002, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

Thanks for capturing what I was trying to say more simply. I was having trouble putting exactly what I was trying to say into words. Hope that between Jedi Knightrider and my posts, we helped clear up that question. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Did you see the post times? We must have been writing almost the same thing at almost the same time! That's CAAA-RAZY!!!:crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

yo yo yoda
07-17-2002, 10:54 PM
luke- "Said he was the property of Obi-Wan Kenobi. I wonder if he's dead." (or something like that)
ben- "no he's not dead...not yet anyway."
luke- "do you know him?"
ben- "of course I know him...he's me"