PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Childhood Candy?

Deoxyribonucleic
07-15-2002, 05:49 PM
I write this because just recently I was in the grocery store and noticed my favorite childhood candy of which I've not held within my kidlike sticky paws for over 20 years. I'm somewhat old so I don't really know what kind of newer candies there are today but when I was a kid (early, early 70's) my fav fav fav candy was/is ......

WILLY WONKAS' BOTTLE CAPS

Ahhh, childhood memories....bottlecaps, starwars figs, 0.15 cent blue border star wars trading cards with that delicious stick of gum....Gadzooks no wonder I never grew up...who wants to trade these things for bills, mortgages, and RESPONSIBILITIES?!

:cry: :crazed: :D

Jonna
07-15-2002, 05:56 PM
Ketchup and Bologni sandwiches!!!

Hey, you asked!!

Lobito
07-15-2002, 06:24 PM
Most of them u wont know, because of the Country, but i liked Nerds and Sweettars.:p

Deoxyribonucleic
07-15-2002, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Lobito
Most of them u wont know, because of the Country, but i liked Nerds and Sweettars.:p

I know both of those!

Good choices! :)

JediJeff77
07-15-2002, 06:32 PM
Lick-a-stick ;)

Jedi Knightrider
07-15-2002, 06:39 PM
Candy bars are always good. I still eat Milkyways, Snickers, 3 Musketeers, Skor (That one's really good. I've been on a skor kick for a week now!)

Exhaust Port
07-15-2002, 07:06 PM
Nerds, Everlasting Gobstoppers, Lemonheads, Runts

Jonna
07-15-2002, 07:19 PM
That powdered candy that comes with the stick.

master jedi
07-15-2002, 07:20 PM
I like nerds, sweettarts, M&Ms, Reece's Peanut Butter Cups

Jango Jett
07-15-2002, 07:24 PM
There were so many that were my favorites but here is a list of
what I use to buy:

those little penny candies like: tootsie rolls, rootbeer candy,
Jolly ranchers, Bazooka bubble gum with comic

ABBA ZABBA
CHICKO STICK
ROCKY ROAD candy bar
SUGAR DADDY
SUGAR BABIES
TOOTSIE ROLL
BUTTERFINGERS candy bar
HERSHEY BAR
LIFESAVERS
GOOD & PLENTY
CHUNKY

and I also remember another favorite but cant remember the
name ? it was a big piece of chocolate with a cherry flavor inside ?
:confused:

these days I rarely eat candy anymore , I do eat a candy bar
about every two months maybe less ? when I want something
sweet I eat a piece of pie and a cup of coffee or some fruit.

Thumb Wars
07-15-2002, 07:37 PM
i loved and still love dots and lemonheads!!!

Darth Nitwit
07-15-2002, 10:09 PM
I like Rolos and Cadberry Eggs!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-15-2002, 10:43 PM
Good n' Fruity (not Good n' Plenty)
Butterfinger
Reese's Cups
the fruity tootsie rolls
Rolo's
anything that was gummi

One candy that I absolutely hated, were Mary Janes. Not really a candy bar but candy neverthesame. I wanted to throw them right back at the old people who gave them out on Halloween. You know they bought them so they can eat them afterwards!

DarthBrandon
07-15-2002, 10:59 PM
Childhood Candy:

Jube Jubes
Taffy Bars
Mojos
Licorice Babies and Blue whales
Candy Bars
Nerds
Dip Stick

Jango Jett
07-15-2002, 11:05 PM
Remember those Halloween wax flutes that you could eat ? or
those wax skeletons filled with colorful sweet liquid ? you had to
bite off the end and suck out the juice.

sith_killer_99
07-15-2002, 11:51 PM
Whoppers!!!

I used to LOVE those little Malted Milk Candies.

At Halloween time it was Candy Corn all the way.

And at Easter I was all about the sugar coated marshmallow Bunnies (or the birds...Peeps).

And at Christmas I still like the Chocolate Orange!

Jedi Juice
07-16-2002, 12:03 AM
My favorite candy would have to be Project Pops . They are the best watermelon suckers I've ever had. They were also popular with the girls!

Here's a pic:

Jedi Knightrider
07-16-2002, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
And at Easter I was all about the sugar coated marshmallow Bunnies (or the birds...Peeps).

Didja ever put a peep in the microwave? They puff up to about thrice their size, and then their eyes catch on fire! Then they settle down again. It's really funny.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-16-2002, 01:09 AM
There's some site somewhere (I'll probably never find it again so I don't know why I'm bringing it up but anyway) where some guy did all kinds of science experiments with Peeps. I mean these suckers were in-depth, true to life science experiments and he documented them with pictures and everything and it was the funniest thing! Maybe someone who reads this will know what I'm talking about...please??? I'd love to find it again!

:)

Peeps are great!

Jedi Knightrider
07-16-2002, 01:13 AM
Could it be... THIS!!!???

http://www.peepresearch.org/

(google rocks! i searched for "peep" and "science" and this was the first thing on the list!!!)

DarthBatman
07-16-2002, 02:31 AM
I love Tootsie Rolls!

plasticfetish
07-16-2002, 06:12 AM
OK ... when I was a kid waaay back in the early 70's ... we would barter with "Now and Laters" on the school yard. You could buy your way out of a fight or trade for some kids yummy "box lunch" (thanks governor Reagan!)

Now, I'm really into Twizzlers or those "Circus Peanuts" things ... oh yeah ... and lengthy trips to the dentist.

Check this out ... (it's funny)
http://snacks.cyberpunks.org

QLD
07-16-2002, 08:33 AM
I will go with now defunct candy bars such as the Marathon bar and PB Max. Gd I miss PB Max.

stormie
07-16-2002, 12:12 PM
When I was a kid...
Zotz and Now & Laters...both preferrably green apple or watermelon flavored.

Strange, but candy really doesn't have much appeal for me anymore. Maybe because I have to pay my own dentist bills now. ;)

JediJeff77
07-16-2002, 12:21 PM
I also liked now & laters, green apple and grape!

We used to say: Now you have teeth and later you won't!

-J

mabudonicus
07-16-2002, 12:50 PM
Anyone remember "Grahamwitch"?? Those were GREAT- graham crackers with peanut butter and jam.... I can just barely recall the taste. When they stopped being available, my mom tried to make them from sxcratch, but without the preservatives, it never really worked.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-16-2002, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Knightrider
Could it be... THIS!!!???

http://www.peepresearch.org/

(google rocks! i searched for "peep" and "science" and this was the first thing on the list!!!)

Jedi Knightrider...you are "THE MAKER!" - THAT'S IT!

I knew someone here would know what I was talking about!

Jedi Knightrider
07-16-2002, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Deoxyribonucleic

I didn't know about it. Well, I had heard about it, but never saw it. Seriously, all I did was do that search and it was right there! Google really rocks my face off!

Jonna
07-16-2002, 01:03 PM

What!?! He is a giant worm!?!:rolleyes:

Great, now I am rolling my eyes at myself!:frus:

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
07-16-2002, 03:32 PM
Anything Wonka :D

Vortex
07-16-2002, 03:59 PM
No one ate PEZ besides me?

Pez, Now & Laters, Runts, those pure sugar 2 colored suckers, usually red/yellow, yellow/blue, or red/blue, mike & ikes, alexander the grapes, starbursts, those jucy center candies till I found our sacchrin gives you cancer, smarties, nerds, and laffy taffy.

plasticfetish
07-16-2002, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by tjovonovich

Ahh ... I'm eating it right now out of a Wookie head!

Jango Jett
07-16-2002, 06:40 PM
I forgot to mention one of the most common candies I remember
as a kid, the LOLLY POP ! I remember the Barber use to always
give me a lolly pop after getting a haircut ! so did the doctor !
when I went in to get my shots.

Jedi Knightrider
07-16-2002, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by tjovonovich

Pez is such a given i forgot it! I have my Darth Vader and Batman dispensers above my bed!!!

Nexu
07-16-2002, 07:55 PM
I was not allowed to eat candy as a child. :(

Jason B
07-16-2002, 08:27 PM
I always like Butterfingers. Twix is good too.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-16-2002, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Nexu
I was not allowed to eat candy as a child. :(

You've had a deprived childhood.

I've had a C-3PO Pez sitting in my junk drawer for a couple of years now. Even if I break it open now, the candy will still be fine to eat. You can't beat Pez!

Beast
07-16-2002, 11:56 PM
I don't really recall what I liked as a kid. I know that I loved nerds, and most of the other Wonka candies. What was the kind that was actually shaped like fruit?

But for years I have been addicted to "Wild Berry Skittles". God I love those things. I also enjoy peanut butter cups, and baby ruth candy bars. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediCole
07-17-2002, 12:24 AM
Argh! I kind of figured that when I saw this thread that someone would beat me to the Marathon bar! An almost forgotten confection, but during its hey-day, it was quite popular. A good foot of good caramel and chocolate goodness!

Bottle Caps were a favorite back in those days, but there was one flavor that kind of fell flat. And this of course reminded me of another candy that I loved back then, but I cannot recall the name. It was six or seven flat candy discs (about the same consistancy of Bottle Caps or Sweet Tarts), each one of a different fruit flavor (like green apple or the dreadful tasting bananna). They came in a clear plastic sleeve, all in a row, with a picture of the type of fruit they were meant to taste like printed above where they would be in the row within the sleeve. Anyone else recall these?

Then there was a favorite of a friend of mine and I in High School (way back in the 80s), Tart n' Tinys. They came in little dispinser box about the size that Nerds came in, with a slide-back flap. Each of the varied tart pellets was about 1/4" inch long. The fun thing there was to see if you could take a handful at a time and survive the overstimulation of your salivary glands as you tried to munch them up.

When I was a wee one, my mom used to go to a Wonder Bread Bakery Outlet Store and they used to have a candy bar there that I had never seen anywhere else, and have never seen again since about 1975. It was called something to the effect of "Seven Up", though obviously that was not the name, as that soft drink was around way before this unique candy bar. Anyway, the bar itself was about 5-6" long and chocolate coated. But the "filling" consisted of seven different fillings (like caramel, coconut, and other traditional types), each separated from the next by a wall of chocolate. So if you took the candy bar and cut it lengthwise, you would literally see seven independant chambers of filling. Am I the only person in this vast nation who ever encountered this bizarre treat? I used to get one every time we went to that store, until they stopped having them any more.

Mrs. JediCole recalls things like the Giant Sweet Tarts, LifeSavers Lollypops, and (though not entirely candy), the trading stickers with gum packs that featured wacky versions of well-known household products.

And on a final note, though it is not a candy, I used to love the now rare Hostess-O's doughnuts. They were big powdered cake doghnuts with a core of raspberry jam built right in! They were the most incredible breakfast treat in the known morning. I have it on good authority that they stll exist, in fact I last encountered them 14 years ago this week when Mrs. JediCole and I were on our honeymoon. Has anyone seen these rare doughnuts more recently? I am told that in some parts of the world they are sold as chocolate covered, rather than powdered doughnuts, but with that same great filling locked inside!

Vortex
07-17-2002, 09:41 AM
Ah candy...still love it

Pez, Pez, the magical fruit the more you eat, the more you...
Hold up, wrong stuff never mind.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-17-2002, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by JediCole

And on a final note, though it is not a candy, I used to love the now rare Hostess-O's doughnuts. They were big powdered cake doghnuts with a core of raspberry jam built right in! They were the most incredible breakfast treat in the known morning. I have it on good authority that they stll exist, in fact I last encountered them 14 years ago this week when Mrs. JediCole and I were on our honeymoon. Has anyone seen these rare doughnuts more recently? I am told that in some parts of the world they are sold as chocolate covered, rather than powdered doughnuts, but with that same great filling locked inside!

Oh yes, those things...I LOVE THEM and I haven't seen them since I moved away from Seattle, WA (about 4 years ago). They had tons of them at this specialty grocery store on Bainbridge Island - The Towne Center - but haven't seen them since :(

Anyone remember the tootsie roll acid trip commercials in the 60's/70's?..."Whatever it is I think I see, becomes a tootsie roll to me!" or "How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop? A-one....A-two.....CRUNCH! A-three...three licks to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop.......the world may never know!"

:D

Mandalorian Candidat
07-17-2002, 04:54 PM
I write this because just recently I was in the grocery store and noticed my favorite childhood candy of which I've not held within my kidlike sticky paws for over 20 years. I'm somewhat old so I don't really know what kind of newer candies there are today but when I was a kid (early, early 70's) my fav fav fav candy was/is ......

WILLY WONKAS' BOTTLE CAPS

Holy crap! When I saw the title of this thread I though, "Surely he won't pick Bottle Caps, my favorite." I looooove them hunks of sugar and artificial flavor. MMMM MMMM.

My wife bought a bag to give out for Halloween last year. I wanted them so much I bought another bag of candy so I could have them all to my greedy self. **slurp**

Does anyone remember Pop Rocks? Those were so fun to eat. Who doesn't love carbonated spit?

Jedi Juice
07-18-2002, 12:23 AM
OOh, I love Skittles too. I think Project Pops are still awesome though.

Jedi Knightrider
07-18-2002, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
Does anyone remember Pop Rocks? Those were so fun to eat. Who doesn't love carbonated spit?

y'know, i hear that if you eat pop rocks and drink coke, your head explodes!!!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-18-2002, 01:29 AM
While we are on the subject of obscure candy bars . . .

Does anyone remember a candy that was sold during the mid 80's. I was really young back then but from what I remember the candy was in an orange yogurt-like package. Inside the package was a chocolate pudding type of substance. On the side of the package was a slot for little bread sticks like stuff and you would dip those sticks into the pudding concoction. For the life of me I can't remember the name of this stuff. Anyone remember???

Also, in the early 90's, there was a short-lived candy bar called a milkshake bar. It was basically a chocolate candy bar with chocolate malt flavoring inside. It tasted just like a chocolate milkshake. It was a pretty decent treat.

plasticfetish
07-18-2002, 03:15 AM
"How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop? A-one....A-two.....CRUNCH! A-three...three licks to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop.......the world may never know!"

Do owls even have tongues?

Jacen Solo
07-18-2002, 03:23 AM
gotta love the airheads

Jacen Solo
07-18-2002, 03:24 AM
The candy I mean, I meant no offense to cheerleaders everywhere.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-18-2002, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by plasticfetish

Heck...that's a good question...I mean I know chickens do and they are kinda the same...but different..you know what I mean LOL but I'm not sure and chicken tongues are weird at that so I don't even know if you can call 'em tongues??? :crazed:

JediCole
07-20-2002, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Lowly Bantha Cleaner

Also, in the early 90's, there was a short-lived candy bar called a milkshake bar. It was basically a chocolate candy bar with chocolate malt flavoring inside. It tasted just like a chocolate milkshake. It was a pretty decent treat.

Lowly, this will probably come as quite a surprise, the Milkshake Bar is actually at least 25 or 30 years old (not the actual bars you enjoyed in the 90s per se, but the actual candy itself. It is one of those great disappearing/reappearing candies. When I was a kid back in the very late 60's and early 70s, Milkshake and its companion candybar, Butternut, were fairly popular. There was a local children's program on Sunday mornings back then that was taped in Dallas/Fort Worth called "The Children's Hour". They had a fairly banal host who would chat it up with a local kid guest and read the Sunday funnies, watch cartoons and "Davey and Goliath" short films, visit with reps from the Fort Worth Zoo and the Science and History Museum and at the end of it all, you found out that the lucky little *$#@& who appeared as a guest got a "month's supply of either Butternut or Milk Shake bars! My older brother actually got to appear on that show (which we discovered as a result was taped on a Wednesday) and returned home with a whole box of Butternut bars! This was probably about 1970 or 71! That Milk Shake bar has been around a long time!

Also, in researching the above (the Butternut name escaped me) I found a Disontinued Candy and Gum website. While there, I found that my memory of childhood candy was better than I thought. The mysterious multi-filling chocolate bar I used to enjoy in the early '70s was in fact called the SEVEN-UP bar! I had begun to doubt this as 7-Up is only too well known as a soft drink. But it appears the name was shared by soda and confection alike, much like the Big Red name to this day can mean a carbonated beverage or a breath freshening cinnamon gum!

JediCole
07-20-2002, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by plasticfetish

Plastic, in answer to your question, Deoxyribonucleic was on the right track by pointing out that chickens have tongues and then making the logical leap of compartive anatomy necessary to deduce that the same may be said of their very distant cousins, the owls.

The fact is that the entire Avian genus are embued with tongues. Some are highly specialized, like that of the hummingbird, but every bird on the planet has a tongue in its beak. Though the owl's tongue would not be very serviceable when it comes to licking Tootsie Roll Pops (or even Charms Blow Pops or LifeSavers Lollipops), so it is little wonder that Mr. Owl chose to use his powerful beak to crack the candy shell that prevented easy access to the chewy Tootsie Roll center. And in case anyone is wondering, despite the "toothless old man" look of Mr. Turtle (who, "never made it without biting", file that away for a future nightmare), turtles (every species, worldwide) do NOT have teeth!

That is your candy commercial biology lesson for today.

P.S. A turtle can no more turn itself around in its shell than you can dislodge your ribcage and pelvis from your spinal column at will. Don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise. The turtle is enexorabley built in to its shell.

SWAFMAN
07-20-2002, 11:53 PM
this place (http://www.hometownfavorites.com/index.htm) is running TV ads in my area now....

scruffziller
07-27-2002, 12:39 PM
Snickers, Salted Nut Roll, and $1,000,000,000. I have not seen that one in a LONNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGG time. It was like a laced rope of carmel or something. Are they still around?

2-1B
07-27-2002, 12:50 PM
Way to go Deoxy, Bottlecaps are
AWESOME

I buy them by the roll now, and love them! I can't wait until Sam's Club starts carrying them, I'll be a 'capaholic! :happy:

QLD
07-27-2002, 01:02 PM
I have been to that site SWAFMAN. It's really neat. However, I wish they had more info on PB MAX. The greatest candy ever.....

mmmmm......PB MAX........Mmmmmm