PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Galaxies

sunblind
07-16-2002, 01:22 PM
Does anyone have any info on SWG?

Who's gonna get it?

Can you play the game while not online?

I might get the x-box for it when it comes out, but then there's the on going charges for going online for playing it...and I mean extra charges. Is it true?

Deadeye are you out there....do you have any answers.

Boba Rhett
07-16-2002, 01:43 PM
Yes, there will be extra charges just for playing it. I think it's set at about ten bucks right now.

It's a MMORPG... you have to play it online. :D

I'm still kind of reluctant about getting it. If I do get it it's going to take up sooooooo much of my time. ;)

Go get an Xbox and pick up Halo whilst you're waiting for galaxies. :D

Yar Cydoh
07-16-2002, 02:01 PM
Well I was going to get it but now that I know you have to pay for it I'm not :mad:
That really REALLY makes me mad. You pay about 50 or 60 bucks for the game then you have to keep paying the company to use the game month after month. It's a bunch of BS.

sunblind
07-16-2002, 03:17 PM
hmmm...I was told that you would be able to buy it but not have to play it on line. Against the computer instead of other online players. I just don't get it. If you don't have alot of band width, there'll be monthly charges, you can't play it off line...kinda making it hard for people who can't afford everything.

I thought they were trying to make it easier for people to play?
Its really the other way around, it looks. And I was so looking forwarded to getting this.

And what's MMORPG mean ? I don't know too much about this kinda stuff.

Beast
07-16-2002, 03:25 PM
Nope, it's just like Ultima Online, Everquest, and Asheron's Call. I currently play Asheron's Call, and while the monthly charges seem to be expensive, it's not really bad for what you get. A giant world, with fresh content every month, and being able to interact with people all over the world.

MMORPG = Massive MultiPlayer Online Role Playing Game. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Boba Rhett
07-16-2002, 03:27 PM
Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game.

99.957% of MMORPGs charge a monthly fee. And rightly so! It costs a lot of money to keep things runnning smoothly in a mmorpg.

If you're wanting SP play that's kind of like galaxies, get Knights of the Old Republic. :)

sunblind
07-16-2002, 03:43 PM
OK. I undersstand now. But what would happen if you turned on the game unit with game in it? If your not online would the game not work? Does it go to a start screen that can tell your not online and wont allow to pass or something?
I don't own any MMORPG games.

Beast
07-16-2002, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by sunblind
OK. I undersstand now. But what would happen if you turned on the game unit with game in it? If your not online would the game not work? Does it go to a start screen that can tell your not online and wont allow to pass or something?
I don't own any MMORPG games.
If your not online, I don't think it would work at all. Because the game server actually exists on-line. Hardly any of the game actually exists in your machine. It would likely ask you if you wanted to connect to the net and play. There is no way to play a MMORPG off-line. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

MikeAndTheBots
07-16-2002, 04:39 PM
I'm defiantely getting galaxies. Its just so cool. I mean I'm not a fan of MMORPGs but I've always wanted a star wars one back when I first heard about them. Now that there's one coming out there's no way I'm passing it up.

sunblind
07-17-2002, 10:13 AM
Well maybe getting the Knights of the old Republic will do for me, I just hope there'll be enough cumtomizing that you can do on it, because why I think I liked Galaxies so much. Plus the fact you can make your game out of what you WANT to do. Be a farmer, thats your game, be a clothing designer, a dancer, a spy and thats your game....unless it's working our way to being a Jedi...anyway I hope KOTOR is sorta like that.

DeadEye
07-17-2002, 10:26 AM
I want galaxies bad--but I doubt I would ever have time to play it, except maybe next summer, since it's coming out next year. That game would be so immersive that it would devour my life, and my grades would fall! :D

QLD
07-17-2002, 11:07 AM
I am very much looking forward to this. I have only played a couple of other MMORPG, but I usually have a grand time with it. This should be an exceptionally good time.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-17-2002, 01:26 PM
http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/index.jsp

here, check this out...maybe it will help you decide. You can also join the forums and ask the game developers and other people questions you have about the game. :) I'm definitely getting it and I can't wait! :)

sunblind
07-17-2002, 02:58 PM
Thanks for helping out, with that site. I've got enough time to figure it out. Maybe I'll change my mind.

Jedi_Bates
07-20-2002, 01:11 AM
Galaxies is a must have, i know that 10 dollars a week is a pain but what else will you do? how about the next time you see a few saga figures u thought about getting and just sorta want put it in the SW galaxies fund.

MikeAndTheBots
07-21-2002, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Jedi_Bates
Galaxies is a must have, i know that 10 dollars a week is a pain but what else will you do? how about the next time you see a few saga figures u thought about getting and just sorta want put it in the SW galaxies fund.
Luckily, its a month and not week. And is the official price even announced yet?

Beast
07-21-2002, 12:59 AM
No official price yet, but newer games are $12.95-$14.95, so expect that Galaxies will be around the same. The only games that are still $9.95 a month are the ones that came out years ago. They won't raise them though, cause they know the player base will complain. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

MikeAndTheBots
07-21-2002, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
No official price yet, but newer games are $12.95-$14.95, so expect that Galaxies will be around the same. The only games that are still $9.95 a month are the ones that came out years ago. They won't raise them though, cause they know the player base will complain. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
Damn, I guess I'm going to have to get a job....

JON9000
07-21-2002, 06:25 PM
I simply cannot invest the time required to get into this game.

Besides, I've also heard the "Evercrack" stories about players who get so involved they forget about their other relationships and responsibilities, who buy hard to find game artifacts on Ebay for $2,000, or who just take things too seriously and personally- and you thought things could get nasty on these boards!

But it looks SOOOO COOL!

Rogue II
08-27-2002, 08:14 AM
I just found this. The developers are doing queries about what people want to see.

http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/starwars/Forum3/HTML/072145.html