PDA

View Full Version : Thought you would hate but didn't

Obi-Don
10-11-2001, 09:37 AM
I know,enough of the movie questions. I thought I would hate the movie ,As Good as it Gets.But I found myself liking it within the first few minutes.Jack is the best no matter what he is in.

What movie had this effect on you?

Brave Sir Robin
10-11-2001, 12:10 PM
Titanic. Ok Leo's in it, it's a lovey dovey story, a lot of teenyboppers that I know said that it made them cry, etc etc. I'm thinking "Ugh- i bet this movie is gonna be a great big pile of suck." Then, I saw it, and it's like "Wow- this movie is truly amazing"

Lobito
10-11-2001, 02:29 PM
The matrix...i was impressed, i thought this was just your normal kung-fu movie, but IMO it is much more than that.:cool:

Rollo Tomassi
10-11-2001, 04:58 PM
I left both Se7en and the Usual Suspects thinking "Wow! I just saw an incredibly good movie." I didn't know a lot about either film before I saw it. It's really hard to get me to think about how good a movie really is right after you walk out, especially in recent years. Moulin Rouge also left me that way. Usually it's the other way around, like I'll be expecting a really good film and wind up with crap. Hannibal and Blair Witch were that way for me. I was let down even more than usual with those two, and as a result they become the worst films of the year.

SO this is now a two part question. Which films suprised you and which films do you hate more than ever because they "betrayed" your expectations?

Lobito
10-11-2001, 05:08 PM
I agree with Rollo in Hannibal...it was just a dissapointment...all the good the silence of the lamb was...is reversed in this one.

Mike Troxell
10-11-2001, 06:20 PM
I actually almost didn't go see O Brother Where Art Thou for lack of interest, but it turned out to be one of my favorite movies of last year (behind only Almost Famous).

master jedi
10-11-2001, 10:39 PM
Moulin Rogue and Evolution.

JediTricks
10-12-2001, 07:45 AM
Expected less, got more:
- The Mummy
- The Matrix
- The Waterboy
- Deuce Bigalow - Male Gigalo

Expected more, got less:
- Alien Resurrection
- Titan AE
- Chasing Amy
- The Sixth Sense

Rollo Tomassi
10-12-2001, 08:46 AM
JT, did you see Sixth Sense AFTER all the build-up and hype? I saw it opening day and thought it was a great film, but friends of mine waited and saw it four months later and when they got to the "suprise" ending that EVERYBODY had been talking about, they were like "That was it??" I can completely see their point of view about overhyping that ending. It wasn't worth all the hooplah. But the film and acting were still solid, especially the relationship between Toni Collette and Haley Joel. However, I can see you being let down after everybody built the ending into some kind of "unlock the secret of the universe" ending when it really wasn't.

master jedi
10-12-2001, 05:26 PM
The 6th sense had a suprise ending? Not much of a suprise. I knew he was dead before I even saw the movie and nobody told me anything about the movie either.

JediTricks
10-13-2001, 10:00 AM
I saw it way, way, waaaaay after it came out on video and, like Master Jedi, nobody told me about "the big surprise", it was just obvious. If you catch that part, the whole movie feels like a gimmick. As for the mother/son relationship, it didn't work for me, but then again, I thought "Little Man Tate" got this right, so that may shed some light.

Sadly, the part I thought was most interesting about 6th Sense was woefully under-used, when Haley Joel Osment's character actually starts HELPING dead people. I could have watched an hour of him doing that with various dead folks, anti-Ghostbusters if you will ;), but we get cheated out of that except for one scene (and the whole "cosmic sense" of the film, but that concentrates on the wrong aspects IMO).

bigbarada
10-14-2001, 11:48 PM
Dogma

Thought it would be a really stupid movie but it actually made some pretty valid points about organized religion. That and it was funny as hell!:D

Obi-Dan Kenobi
10-15-2001, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Dogma

Thought it would be a really stupid movie but it actually made some pretty valid points about organized religion. That and it was funny as hell!:D

I just watched the DVD today, and I agree. I even went to see it when it was released hoping it wouldn't be stupid (I love Kevin Smith's movies, but let's face it, stupidity and vulgarity are his specialty). It's great when you have good expectations, and they are not shot down.:)

ThomasLane
10-15-2001, 12:55 AM
Groundhog Day - Probably my all-time favorite comedy.

The Matrix - I didn't have a clue what it was about when I saw it. A great story.

The Sixth Sense - Again, I didn't know anything about it when I saw it, and I guess I'm not clever enough to have figured it out and spoiled it for myself. Pretty good story masterfully delivered.

Star Wars - Yes, the original movie. I was 8 years old and was ticked as hell when we got to the drive-in and I realized that we weren't there to see "The Rescuers".

Bel-Cam Jos
10-15-2001, 10:15 PM
Surprisingly, Raiders of the Lost Ark. I wanted to see ESB for a 5th time (unheard of for me! 5 times?), but my mom made me see this unknown one instead. I honestly believe that film started my love for history/mythology/archeology.

TeeEye7
10-16-2001, 06:56 AM
I agree with Obi-Don:

I reluctantly saw 'As Good As It Gets' thinking it was going to be another torturous chick-flick to endure, but ended up liking Jack Nicholson's rendition of Felix Unger Meets Archie Bunker.

(However, I'm still mystified as to why Helen Hunt won an Academy Award......)

JediCole
10-16-2001, 12:35 PM
Like Bel-Cam, I too was drug to the theatre to see Raiders of the Lost Ark, fully prepared to hate every second. My mom had found a sneak preview of it playing at an obscure and tiny theatre in Dallas, a little two-screener in the emergence of the giant six screen theatres! I know this is something many of you will not remember, but there was a time when six screens seemed a "megaplex".
I had seen some vague info about Raiders in Bantha Tracks, and thought it was a movie about some fist-fighting lion tamer and Noah's Ark. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised almost from the first second.

Another, more recent film I thought I might hate but now consider one of the best films ever made is Memento. If you have not seen this yet, rush out and see it today. It is incredible! It twists and turns like a...twisty turny thing right up to the end. It has a non-linear plot structure that, given the storyline, could not be told any other way. I know it is out on DVD and may be out on VHS as well. Mrs. JediCole insisted on seeing it one night and I would have prefered (I thought) to see O Brother Where Art Thou? As it worked out we saw both that night and they are both in JediCole's Top 100 Films of All Time.

Though I cannot say I thought I'd HATE the following, I can say that I had no expectations about them and they became some of my favorites.

Star Wars (It wasn't always A New Hope you know) - All I knew when we went to see it (Summer of '77) was a friend of my brother had seen it and said there was never a dull moment.

Pulp Fiction - I had no preconceived notions. The advertizing was quirky but left me with no impression going into the film.

Sling Blade - Perhaps one of the most expertly scripted films in the history of history itself. I went to see it simply because there was nothing else playing. One of my top 100, as are all of these.

Henry V - Another that Mrs. JediCole insisted we see. I wasn't much for Shakespearian adaptations before this masterpiece.

Finally, a couple that I hated after I saw them the first time, then loved after a second viewing.

Blade Runner - My best friend and I had read the book that this movie was (very loosely) based on, so naturally we hated the movie which ignored so much of what made the source story unique. Years later, at the insistance of friends I watched it again, still hating it, but finding it intriguing. It actually took a third viewing and me determining to ignore the book and watch the film for itself, that changed my mind. It is now one of my all time favorites (pre-director's cut).

Buckaroo Bonzai Across the Eighth Dimension - My older brother had fallen in love with this film and insisted I watch it. I did and hated every second. I thought it was the worst film I'd ever seen at that point (a distinction now held by "Death Becomes Her", the ONLY movie I've ever been tempted to walk out on). At his further insistance, I watched it a second time and loved it ever since. I've had at least two others discover this phenomenon, hating it on first viewing and loving it from the second one on. I can't wait for the DVD!

Lobito
10-17-2001, 08:39 PM
"Eyes wide shut"...this movie i knew it was going to be weird, and i was sure i was going tohate it, i only saw the movie because of Nicole, but after watching the movie, i felt i wanted to know more about it...ok, the movie its about jealousy, but there is a part (the disguise party) which leaves lots of questions...in the end i found the movie weird, but i was wrong, i dont hate it...!!;)