PDA

View Full Version : Why Didn't Luke Use The Force When...?

Darkross
07-17-2002, 11:51 AM
Why didn't Luke use the Force to close the door on the Rancor...but instead he threw a stone at the switch to close the door on the Rancor?

My Interpretation: is that he was trying not to play his trump card too soon on Jabba. Although he claimed to be a Jedi Knight...he never actually proved it in his actions until the Sarlaac Pitt. He must have foreseen the incidents up to and after the Sarlaac Pitt before he sent 3P0 and R2D2 to Jabba's palace.

billfremore
07-17-2002, 12:21 PM
Perhaps he did use the force.
Perhaps he used it to guide his aim so that he wouldn't miss.

"In my experience there's no such thing as luck" - Ben Kenobi, ANH

icatch9
07-17-2002, 12:50 PM
Yea he used the force the guide that skull across the pit to push the button to close the door. We do not know enough about the force to understand what it can and cannot do. We assume it can do anything but that is probally not the case. Sure Aniken who has the highest midi count ever may be able to do some amazing things, but Luke who certainly doesn't have as much as Aniken would not be able to do the same things as his father.

Still it's all relative and the fact remains that we just don't know enough about the force to say what he should or should not have done.

I do not think him shutting the door by use of the force would have been his trump card :). You are right though, he hadn't prooved himself or his skills up until that point. He knew he could do such things, but never used them in a life or death situation. At least as far as we know :)

robman71
07-17-2002, 01:29 PM
I do recall that Darth Maul used the force to throw something to open the door in the duel with Qui-gon and Obi-wan. Perhaps it takes more concentration to press a small button than to just smash it with an object.

Exhaust Port
07-17-2002, 02:12 PM
Perhaps they have trouble with electronic items.

MikeAndTheBots
07-17-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by icatch9
but Luke who certainly doesn't have as much as Aniken would not be able to do the same things as his father.

Wasn't it still pretty damn high though?

He probably (as others said) "guided" the rock/skull/whatever with the force but he was under too much pressure (you know from trying not to DIE) and probably couldn't concentrate enough to use the force to close the door.

Darkross
07-17-2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by robman71
I do recall that Darth Maul used the force to throw something to open the door in the duel with Qui-gon and Obi-wan. Perhaps it takes more concentration to press a small button than to just smash it with an object.

Yes...exactly my point... and by the looks of things I don't believe that the switch was that far from him either. Also...remember in ESB when Luke falls into the carbon freeze chamber...Vader says: "All too easy!" and force pulls the control to activate the freezing process. Later on in ROTJ when Luke confronts Vader in the landing platform on Endor...Vader triggers the elevator door when he says: "The Emperor will show you the TRUE nature of the force...He is your master now!"

So the fact that Luke could have used the force but didn't shows that he may have wanted to appear to be a Jedi...but not wanting to prove it until he absolutely had to. I dunno...just something that I've always wondered about that scene.

Lobito
07-18-2002, 06:17 PM
So the fact that Luke could have used the force but didn't shows that he may have wanted to appear to be a Jedi...but not wanting to prove it until he absolutely had to. I dunno...just something that I've always wondered about that scene.

Luke already showed his powers when he entered Jabba's palace and forced Bib Fortuna to take him to Jabba. Even Jabba told Bib that Luke was using his Jedi powers.

MikeAndTheBots
07-18-2002, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Lobito

Luke already showed his powers when he entered Jabba's palace and forced Bib Fortuna to take him to Jabba. Even Jabba told Bib that Luke was using his Jedi powers.
Doesn't he force push or choke a couple Pig guys out of his way during his entrance too? Thought I'd add that.

MFH
07-19-2002, 01:07 AM
And, he also uses the force to take that blaster out of somebody's holster, right before he falls into the Rancor pit.

chewie
07-19-2002, 02:38 AM
I guess even if you use the force, you'd still have to know which button to push with the force. I just figured since Luke didn't know the command layout of the gate control panel, he figured smashing it would give the best result, which required a force guided skull.

DarthBatman
07-19-2002, 02:45 AM
The skull flying through the air and hitting the switch looked a lot cooler than a simple little Force push.

Darkross
07-19-2002, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by DarthBatman
The skull flying through the air and hitting the switch looked a lot cooler than a simple little Force push.

Nah...I think it would have looked really cool if he used the force to force push (throw) the stone / skull at the switch. And another thing...the door control switch wasn't anything more than one big button...so there is no reason why he couldn't have just used the force to trigger it. Either way...using the force to throw the stone at the switch would have been alot cooler...remember how cool it looked when Darth Maul did it in TPM! I love that scene...it was the first time that we had seen anything like that.

scruffziller
07-19-2002, 01:25 PM
He was using the force throughout that whole bit.

JON9000
07-23-2002, 06:22 PM
I think you have to be careful with how much the force can be used. If you can do anything with it, it simply becomes too easy and all of the excitement is gone. I mean, why not just have Luke use the force to flip the rancor on its head a few times?

Darkross
07-24-2002, 07:17 AM
It all comes back to Luke not wanting to prove he was a Jedi to Jabba too soon. At least if he appeared vulnerable and not like a Jedi Knight...he had the advantage over Jabba who was over confident even when Luke was on the boarding plank on the Skiff ready to be put into the Sarlaac. "Jabba...this is your last chance...free us or die!"