PDA

View Full Version : Original Trilogy out on DVD?

Mandalorian Candidat
07-17-2002, 05:18 PM
I was just fiddling around on ebay and found a link to Star Wars DVD auctions. Lo and behold there are tons of people selling a boxed set of the three original movies on DVD! At first I thought they were VCDs or laser discs but one auction claims they are really DVDs with scene selections. I thought this wasn't supposed to come out until after EP3 made its appearance. Does anyone have more info on this?

Here's the link (http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&query=Star+Wars&ht=1&itemtimedisp=0&st=2&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&category2=2288&BasicSearch=).

Pendo
07-17-2002, 05:22 PM
They're probably coppies and not official releases of the movies on DVD, but thanx for the heads up anyway I'll certainly check it out :D!

PENDO!

Beast
07-17-2002, 05:26 PM
Yep, they are bootlegs. I can't believe that these people are passing these off as real. Including putting the Fox Video "5-Star" moniker on the discs. :rolleyes: :p They are probably Laserdisc rips, from the Definative Collection Boxset and the Special Edition Boxset.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
07-17-2002, 05:28 PM
They are a good knock up though aren't they! Any unsuspection customer could stumble upone these thinking they are genuine and buy them, only to be dissapointed with the outcome. I have to hand it to 'em, they do look good! I'm thinking of buying them myself!

PENDO!

Exhaust Port
07-17-2002, 05:28 PM
This topic was discussed about a month ago if you want to search on it. Word was that they were ripped from the LaserDisc versions of the movie. Check this out:

http://www.newdvd.cc/dvd/dvdsc_032.htm

Mandalorian Candidat
07-17-2002, 05:38 PM
Yeah, I just found that web site before making this thread. I've seen close-up pix of the cases and they look pretty good for something that is supposedly a knock-off. The spines even have the dts, Lucasfilm, Fox, and DVD logos.

Well, I'll hop on down to Media Play. If they don't have them then I guess they're phonies after all.

Beast
07-17-2002, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
Yeah, I just found that web site before making this thread. I've seen close-up pix of the cases and they look pretty good for something that is supposedly a knock-off. The spines even have the dts, Lucasfilm, Fox, and DVD logos.

Well, I'll hop on down to Media Play. If they don't have them then I guess they're phonies after all.
The fact that there is DTS logos on the spine, should be sending up the biggest red flags here. Lucasfilm won't release DVD's in DTS, Lucas prefers Dolby Digital for Home Theater presentations. You can see that, by the fact that there was no DTS on the Episode I DVD. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

icatch9
07-18-2002, 08:48 AM
These things are interesting. I've seen a set of these close up at a collectable toy show. I could tell they where fakes becasue of the poor quality of the cover art. I could tell it had been printed out. Plus, the disks where just plan with no title or anything.

I cannot understand in this age of piracy how Lucasfilm and Fox allow these things to be sold. I can understand letting them slip on a street corner or somthing, but this is major cash being sent daily across the internet to many differnt dealers. All they need to do is send some Stormtroopers to one guys operation and make an example out of him. The rest would get rid of thier stock lickidy split.

Jar Jar do you know why they get away with this? They shut napster down, why do these people get away with this?

They also have Indiana Jones. I'd like to ask this place how they have these DVDs that aren't avalable anywhere else and have never ever been sold in DVD format. I'd like to call them poseing as an officail from FOX or Paramount :).

DeadEye
07-18-2002, 10:18 AM
They could actually have made the DVDs from scratch. All they'd have to do is download the movies from Kazaa or something, or digitally tape them from the TV, and ultimately just get them onto their PCs. Then they need only burn them to DVD. And it's possible to add scene selection.

Mandalorian Candidat
07-18-2002, 10:36 AM
I was over at Media Play yesterday talking with a few people in the service dept. They were all adamant that these are total fakes and that any official release from LucasFilm, regardless of how basic, would be regaled with heraldry from on high (I'm paraphrasing of course).

I am really surprised at how good some of these fakes are. The disc artwork looks fantastic and the jackets aren't too bad either. I seem to recall however that some of the artwork was different from the Struzan posters that adorn the Trilogy SE video boxes.

Seeing these made my mouth water. I can't wait until 2005.

icatch9
07-18-2002, 11:46 AM
It's no mystery how these are made. It's very simple I'm sure, if you have the hardware and software. I just wounder how they get away with it that's all. It's out right theft of a property and furthermore they are selling them without permission.

I sure am considering getting them though, but $40 is still alot for something that may not look that good on the TV. I fear it will be like watching a vhs tape that's been used to much.

Mandalorian Candidat, could you explain what the Media Play guys ment a little clearer. I don't understand???

Master Goeweins
07-18-2002, 10:33 PM
I just wonder if they are the Special Edition or the Original movies? If they were the Original ones, then they would be worth getting no matter what. Since Lucas has refused to release the Original movies ever, I want them in an archived form. VHS has a lifespan of 20 years and that's it. Some of my parents early video tapes are just getting awful to look at. The magnetic tape just kind of lets go of the recorded memory.

MFH
07-19-2002, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by icatch9
It's no mystery how these are made. It's very simple I'm sure, if you have the hardware and software. I just wounder how they get away with it that's all. It's out right theft of a property and furthermore they are selling them without permission.

These are laserdisc rips of the Special Edition. They come from Malaysia, that is how they are getting away with it. I do not own them, but I know somebody who does. The picture and sound quality is far better than VHS, but probably not as good as the official ones (if they ever get released).

icatch9
07-19-2002, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by MFH

These are laserdisc rips of the Special Edition. They come from Malaysia, that is how they are getting away with it. I do not own them, but I know somebody who does. The picture and sound quality is far better than VHS, but probably not as good as the official ones (if they ever get released).

So it is the SE. I didn't even realize they still made laser discs when that was out. Since it's better than VHS, is it worth getting? Is it woth the $40 for them? How dose this site already have AOTC on DVD? Is it just a guy in the theater recording it with a digital video camer or what?

Mandalorian Candidat
07-19-2002, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by icatch9

I sure am considering getting them though, but $40 is still alot for something that may not look that good on the TV. I fear it will be like watching a vhs tape that's been used to much.

Mandalorian Candidat, could you explain what the Media Play guys ment a little clearer. I don't understand???

I was just trying to say that if and when LucasFilm released the OT on DVD there will be a big media blitz with tons of advertisements like what's going on for LOTR. There would also be standups in the store and other stuff to get people interested. Nothing has been mentioned about a DVD release yet for the OT so therefore it's likely that these truly are either pirated copies or a foreign release, but most probable that they're forgeries.

icatch9
07-19-2002, 02:32 PM
I gotch ya, thanks. Yes, I know they have to be fakes. Still how on Earth do they get away with it? I wounder if GL has copies of these?

JON9000
07-22-2002, 06:12 PM
They get away with it because the costs of pursuing a peddler of knock off goods in court is too high. The wrath of Hollywood is more concerned with the proliferation of downloadable material on the net. These Malaysian Cloners are small time in comparison.

Also, I'm sure GL knows a lot of the fan base would buy the real thing even if they had purchased a knock off. Look at all the people who said they would buy a VHS and DVD copy of AOTC. GL needs to include cut scenes like the Anchorhead material.

pinoysith
07-31-2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by MFH

i've seen the quality of the SE OT Malaysian DVDs, and they are pretty good for laserdiscs rips. better than vhs by far. $40 is a small price to pay for these bad boys, imo.

stillakid
11-26-2002, 10:16 PM
I just received the OT (Special Edition) DVD's from an eBay seller. I quickly previewed a few moments from each to just make sure they worked in my machine. At first glance, they look awesome. No complaints. The sound, though, seems a bit off. I have to fiddle with it again when I get the chance and do a comparison with my VHS tapes. But it's still nice to have the movies in this format.

Now I just have to find somebody with the original versions.