PDA

View Full Version : Why didnt luke use his lightsaber when...

yo yo yoda
07-17-2002, 07:58 PM
Why didnt luke use his lightsaber in ROTJ when the Emperor was about to shock him? In AOTC we see Kenobi using his lightsaber to defend against the dark side shock of Count Dooku. So why does he just throw his saber down? He could have used it for defense. Didnt he have enough knowledge as kenobi did in AOTC?? It doesnt make sense to me....

Rogue II
07-17-2002, 08:11 PM
Luke had defeated Vader. Palpatine wanted Luke to finish the job by killing Vader and taking his place at the Emperor's side. By tossing away his Lightsaber, he showed that he will defy the Emperor and not cross over to the Dark Side. I don't think he knew about the lightning at that point. Boy, did he find out the hard way about that.

errr, something like that.

MFH
07-17-2002, 09:42 PM
Yoda told him not to underestimate the power of the emperor. Maybe he should have listened...

yo yo yoda
07-17-2002, 11:44 PM
but I wish yoda would have been more blunt: "beware the emperor you should be. shock the hell out of you he will."
"your lightsaber do not yeild but defense you shall use it for"

or somethin like that :)

Wookiee
07-18-2002, 08:54 AM
I always liked him casting away his saber. It was brave, rash, and totally unexpected. It showed him totally trusting in himself and in the Force, "your weapons, you will need them not"
Perhaps Luke knew somehow that he could never defeat the Emperor in combat, and he would rather die as a Jedi than be beaten into submission to the Dark Side where he would undoubtably be forced to commit all kinds of evil acts against his friends and against all that was good.
I think it really ticked off the Emperor, it was a move that he didn't see coming. It showed that Luke did know that the power of the Dark Side was strong. He knew if he started to fight the Emperor he might be forced to give in to his anger again, and that would just put him further down the dark path...
If I may borrow a Lord of the Rings example- kind of like Gandalf refusing to even touch the One Ring, even to help Frodo, because even touching the ring would be giving in to a temptation to do evil.
Also, I think Obi Wan in AoTC was a far better trained Jedi than Luke and even if he'd never seen Sith lightning until then, he may have heard of it, or known how to defend against it.

icatch9
07-18-2002, 09:08 AM
Clearly Obi Wan was much more talented than Luke was when it comes to light sabers. A Young Obi Wan would of iced a Young Luke in seconds. Luke just didn't have proper training.

El_Pasty_Muchacho
07-18-2002, 11:19 AM
I agree... the Jedi of the Old Republic had a lot of experience of previous generations to go by. Luke had Yoda train him, but "Ways the Sith can kill you 101" wasn't in the lesson manual at the time. By the time it was time to tell luke that he "must confront Vader." Yoda was on death's door...

You know Yoda was watching that battle between Luke and the Emperor saying "Damn... Forgot something I knew I did!"

LTBasker
07-18-2002, 11:19 AM
The energizer batteries they were using just wouldn't of been able to handle it.

In AOTC, Obi-Wan had Duracell. :happy:

Darkross
07-18-2002, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by MFH
Yoda told him not to underestimate the power of the emperor. Maybe he should have listened...

Exactly...even Darth Vader warned Luke about the Dark Side.

Darth Vader: "You don't know the POWER of the dark side!"

Darth Vader: "You are unwise to lower your defenses!"

Darth Vader: "You underestimate the power of the dark side...if you will not fight...then you will meet your destiny!"

I honestly think that Luke didn't know about Sith lightning until he was shocked by the Emperor. I agree with...Wookiee who stated that Luke was trusting in himself and in the force....and all of the other good points I might add.

icatch9
07-18-2002, 11:47 AM
It seems clear that the dark side is, to a point more powerful than the light. Think about it. Dooku had his way with Obi Wan and Aniken. Would of killed them both with no problem if not for Yoda. Yoda who is by far the greates of the Jedi had his way with Dooku (to a point).

I think Dooku could of killed any of the Jedi in a one on one battle (except Yoda). Since The Dark Side has so much more power he would have over matched any of them. Since it's quicker and easier the students of the Dark Side learn without gaining the respect for the knowlege. Yoda says that Dooku has grown strong and that he sences the Dark Side with in him. Dooku more than likely was not as powerful when he was part of the Jedi Order.

So a sith would learn lightning and what not much faster than a Jedi and thus use it on those who cannot defend it. Since there is only one sith learning he has all the advantages. Dooku learned more becasue he was being taught on a one on one basis. Sideous doesn't have to bother teaching other students or waste time teaching about right and wrong and the likes.

Darkross
07-18-2002, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by icatch9
It seems clear that the dark side is, to a point more powerful than the light. Think about it. Dooku had his way with Obi Wan and Aniken. Would of killed them both with no problem if not for Yoda. Yoda who is by far the greates of the Jedi had his way with Dooku (to a point).

I think Dooku could of killed any of the Jedi in a one on one battle (except Yoda). Since The Dark Side has so much more power he would have over matched any of them. Since it's quicker and easier the students of the Dark Side learn without gaining the respect for the knowlege. Yoda says that Dooku has grown strong and that he sences the Dark Side with in him. Dooku more than likely was not as powerful when he was part of the Jedi Order.

So a sith would learn lightning and what not much faster than a Jedi and thus use it on those who cannot defend it. Since there is only one sith learning he has all the advantages. Dooku learned more becasue he was being taught on a one on one basis. Sideous doesn't have to bother teaching other students or waste time teaching about right and wrong and the likes.

Interesting points...I too think that perhaps the dark side is more powerful than the light in some cases...at least the Sith would have more force resources available to them to fight a Jedi...since the dark side is drawn on only by two Sith at a time where as the light side is drawn on by many hundreds of Jedi. I forget who mentioned it...but I recall an earlier post where someone mentioned that the Sith were bleeding the force dry with their abuse of that power...as if the force was a tangible resource that could be drained.

MFH
07-18-2002, 10:24 PM
Wanna hear the real reason Luke didn't use his lightsaber? Because GL had not yet imagined that a lightsaber could stop force lightning. I know, answers like that aren't much fun...

jet chan
07-19-2002, 06:24 PM
one reason luke may not have used his light saber is he may have known that the emporer was to strong for him to face one on one so the only way that he could "win " was to die. either that or he'd just not really listen to yoda.

DarthSetnom
07-24-2002, 02:14 AM
Luke was confident that his friends would carry on the mission and blast the damn Death Star. The fact that he was on it was not going to stop them (that's a fact... Han shows he's concerned about his presence on board).

And also. Luke realized if he fought The Emperor, he'd succumb to the Dark Side of the Force... Just as he chose not to kill Vader ins pite of his anger , he chose death over becoming a dark warrior.

jet chan
07-24-2002, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by DarthSetnom
Luke was confident that his friends would carry on the mission and blast the damn Death Star. The fact that he was on it was not going to stop them (that's a fact... Han shows he's concerned about his presence on board).

And also. Luke realized if he fought The Emperor, he'd succumb to the Dark Side of the Force... Just as he chose not to kill Vader ins pite of his anger , he chose death over becoming a dark warrior.
sounds right to me

Darkross
07-24-2002, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by DarthSetnom

I don't think that he chose death over becoming a Sith...but rather Luke chose his destiny when he chose not to destroy Vader and join the Emperor. I think that once he made that choice...he had faith that he made the right choice knowing that the Emperor would try to kill him...perhaps hoping inside that he made enough of difference in Vader's life that he and Vader would triumph over the Emperor in the end. Luke chose death over joining Vader in ESB...but chose differently in ROTJ (Even when the odds were greater!)