PDA

View Full Version : Was the Emperor a JEDI??

Buffer72
07-17-2002, 10:17 PM
It seems as though, through the new movies, the Jedi Council seems to think that there are always two Sith. A master and an apprentice. Are Sith jedi?

If so-- did Ben and Yoda never realize that the Emperor was in fact a dark Jedi? I would assume that at some point in Episode III, the Emperor/Darth Sidious relationship is going to be revealed.

My question arises from the fact that both Yoda and Ben tell Luke- that when Yoda is gone, Luke will be the last of the Jedi. Did they not consider the Sith (Vader and the Emperor) to be Jedi anymore??

Exhaust Port
07-17-2002, 10:30 PM
I don't think any Sith are considered to be Jedi. Same power but one is the warrior of the light side and one is the warrior of the dark. So Luke is the last of the light side warriors or Jedi left.

Beast
07-17-2002, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Buffer72
It seems as though, through the new movies, the Jedi Council seems to think that there are always two Sith. A master and an apprentice. Are Sith jedi?

If so-- did Ben and Yoda never realize that the Emperor was in fact a dark Jedi? I would assume that at some point in Episode III, the Emperor/Darth Sidious relationship is going to be revealed.

My question arises from the fact that both Yoda and Ben tell Luke- that when Yoda is gone, Luke will be the last of the Jedi. Did they not consider the Sith (Vader and the Emperor) to be Jedi anymore??
No, but they know that because according to the Star Wars Episode II Visual Dictionary the Jedi have a Sith Holocron stored in their archives. Likely, that in combination with yoda's meditations on the Sith revealed that to them.

Yoda and Ben obviously know about the Emporer being a Sith. Because Yoda tells Luke, "Never underestimae the powers of the Emporer" But after the events of E3, likely no one would believe them if they told. Since the Jedi appear to be now be thought of as crazy or eccentric, by Han's comments in ANH.

I don't think that the Sith are considered Jedi. They don't follow the same teachings. Even Tarkin says to Vader in ANH, "You are all that's left of their religion". Signifying that Tarkin knows that Vader was at one time a Jedi. But it's likely noone knows that the Emporer is Sith. Plus, unlike Vader I don't think that Sidious/Palpatine was a Jedi to begin with.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jet chan
07-17-2002, 10:58 PM
read somewhere that the dark side and the sith are actually two different groups altogether but i don't know if this is a fact but i do know that "sith" aren't considered jedi

El_Pasty_Muchacho
07-18-2002, 10:24 AM
Palpatine was never a Jedi, but he was force sensitive. He's a politician, so let's face it... most of his life was a drive for personal gain and power. I'm sure that unlike Aanakin or even Luke (in Dark Empire)... Palpatine did not convert from a light outlook on the force, but more than likely pursued the Dark Side from the moment he recognized his force sensitivity.

Darkross
07-18-2002, 10:47 AM
I read somewhere that the Sith were never force aware to begin with... but that the fallen dark Jedi that were outcast fled to a remote planet where the Sith race dwelled and being more powerful than the Sith race...the dark Jedi (if you will) conquered the Sith and later took on the name Sith. I dunno...maybe it's all smoke and mirrors...but I do remember reading an article something like this.

Darkross
07-18-2002, 10:48 AM
Oh yeah...the Emperor was never a Jedi...and all will be revealed in Episode III on who the Emperor is and perhaps how he became a Sith. GL has just got to reveal this information!

sith_killer_99
07-18-2002, 11:19 AM
The Emperor was NEVER a Jedi!

Darkross is correct (EU here so take it for what it's worth). The story goes like this:

A group of Jedi went off to study areas of the force that were considered to be "forbidden" among them was the "dark-side" of the force.

This group eventually found their way to the Sith homeworld. When they arrived the Sith revered them as God's, because of their control over the force. The Sith came to worship them and they took the title of "Sith Lord". (Though they weren't actually Sith OR God's)

Originally there were MANY more than just 2 (Master and Apprentice). In fact they became a whole race!

However, as the number of Sith Lords increased the balance of power became unstable and the Sith began to turn against each other. Thus causing them to lose the War against the Jedi.

Eventually ONE Sith Lord decided that it would be best that there be only 2 Sith at any given time (a Master and an Apprentice).

This way the Sith could continue to flourish in secret and eventually destroy the Jedi.

But that's all EU!;)

sith_killer_99
07-18-2002, 11:20 AM
...and all will be revealed in EP3!
;)

Lobito
07-18-2002, 02:46 PM
But that's all EU!

Yes, its all in the DH Comic Books "Tales of the Jedi"

Eventually ONE Sith Lord decided that it would be best that there be only 2 Sith at any given time (a Master and an Apprentice).

Yep, his name is Darth Bane...he also appears in the New essential guide to characters.

To answer the question with my opinion...nope, i dont think the Emperor was a jedi.

Darth Sidious
07-18-2002, 04:03 PM
The Sith are sort of Jedi, but sort of...not. The Sith are a cult. A cult is a subdivision or a religion that is in conflict with the main religion. In this case, Jedi Knight is the main "Religion" and the Sith are a subdivision of the Jedi. They are similar to Jedi, obviously, except...evil. So technically, they are Jedi, from a certain point of view. Whether or not you choose to consider them Jedi depends on your point of view. (I'm starting to sound like that old guy who gets killed to death... :D) In my opinion, they are Sith. Not Jedi. Although they have many Jedi-like characteristics. So, technically, Palpatine is a Sith. But he is somewhat a Jedi. I have just horribly confused myself again.

jblodgett
07-19-2002, 02:38 PM
But it is very obvious that the Emperor WAS force sensitive. He said to Darth Vader in ESB "There is a grave disturbance in the force." So obviously he could sense the force.

It appears to me that the Emperor was never a "Jedi" i.e. he never paraded around the galaxy with Yoda and the gang. But, there is absolutely no question that he had powers similar to theirs.

He may not have ever trained at the jedi temple-- but he apparently knew how to wield a lightsaber and how to throw lightning around-- otherwise how would Darth Maul and Count Dooku have learned what they did??

sith_killer_99
07-19-2002, 02:55 PM
Um, Dooku WAS a Jedi. LOL

I know what you mean. Palpatine was a Sith Lord (had force powers). Though we NEVER actually see him with a lightsaber.
:)

Except when he had Luke's.:eek:

jblodgett
07-19-2002, 03:00 PM
Actually... the more I think about this... the more I think Palpatine was a "dark Jedi." He may never have been a part of the known Jedi- but it is clear that he knew the force, and used force powers.

No, we may never see him wield a lightsaber-- but he must have known how to. Otherwise, how would Darth Maul have learned how to use one, let alone a double bladed one?

Jacen Solo
07-19-2002, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by jblodgett
Actually... the more I think about this... the more I think Palpatine was a "dark Jedi." He may never have been a part of the known Jedi- but it is clear that he knew the force, and used force powers.

No, we may never see him wield a lightsaber-- but he must have known how to. Otherwise, how would Darth Maul have learned how to use one, let alone a double bladed one?

Check out Ep III (Spoilers), for info on Palpy and lightsabers.

jblodgett
07-19-2002, 03:27 PM
This begs this question--- What is the definition of "jedi?"

If being a jedi means you have to train at the jedi temple under yoda and the jedi council--- then I think without question, the Emperor was NOT a jedi.

If being a jedi means you have the power to feel and control the force-- then I think without question, the Emperor WAS a jedi.

The Emperor clearly had command of the dark side of the force- that much is evident by the things he says in ESB and the things he does in ROTJ.