PDA

View Full Version : Why I think the live-action Dragonball Z movie is gonna be bad

Darth Brick
07-17-2002, 11:34 PM
So Fox plans of making a movie about good ol' DBZ, huh? Lord, help us. And before anyone says anything, I've got four words for you: "Street. Fighter. The. Movie."

The first obstacle they're going to have to cross is character designs. How are they going to portray Goku and Vegeta's trademark hairstyles? Let's hope they don't use a molded headpiece like in the "Legacy of Goku" Game Boy commercial.

Second of all, what will the plot be? I doubt Fox's writers can come up with something on their own that "feels" like a Dragonball adventure, and if they use a plot from one of the Sagas, there's no doubt in my mind they'll add unneeded humor or something to dumb it down.

Lastly, it's all a matter of respect. In Japan, anime like DBZ is considered an artform, something artists and animators have spent years creating into something they can be proud of. Here? Nah. Fox just wants to make money off the "next big thing," so they'll slap something together and call it good so they can sell more toys and cards.

Bottom line--leave anime and anything related to those who know how it should be done.

Dark Knight
07-18-2002, 02:08 AM
You have several valid points.

I hope you're wrong!!!

Just have to wait and see.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Geonosian
07-18-2002, 05:39 AM
Me to.

Darth Nihilus
07-18-2002, 11:00 AM
Why a DBZ will suck. Because it's freakin' Dragonball Z for goodness sake.;)

QLD
07-18-2002, 11:17 AM
I was going to say that Darth Nilhaus.....oh well. I have nothing against DBZ though, it just never "did" it for me.

Darth Nihilus
07-18-2002, 12:37 PM
Great minds...;)

I can't stand it, I watched it once and wondered what the fuss was about. Yet a lot of guys my age (where I live) love it.

icatch9
07-18-2002, 12:59 PM
I too don't watch it, but have nothing against it. I would see the movie. Your right Street Fighter the Movie was bad, but that was a long time ago. Advances have made these types of movies more realistic looking. Still a movie is not the cartoon and certain things have to be changed.

Two good Examples. X Men and Superman. First Toad from X Men wasn't a Toad at all, not like he was in the comics. He was just Darth Maul with goofy eyes pail green skin and a long toung. Second Lex Luther from the old Superman Movies did even have a totally bald head the way he did in the comics. I love Gene Hackman (he's from my home town), but he doesn't even look or act the way the classic Lex Luther did.

So, certain changes have to be made for moive. For story reasons and realistic portrail reasons. In the DBZ movie Goku probally won't have the wild hair style. It just wouldn't be practical for a warrior such as him to have such a hair cut. Plus, the actor/stunt man couldn't do the cool karate stuff that role is going to require with such a hair cut. It will be better for the movie if he doesn't. Don't expect him to be running around in a bright orange outfit either. That's just not "cool" for the general audience. Why do you think the X Men wore black in the movie even though for decades they always wore yellow and blue. Black is cool and sexy where as yellow and blue would have just been dorky.

I agree that a lot of movie exects ruien parts of these types of character/story lines. Does it surprise you that they are after "the next big thing" and only want money. Why do you think any moive is made? Movies and TV and Cartoons and Comic Books, and Anime are made to make money. $$$$$ is the bottom line to the whole entertainment industry.

scruffziller
07-19-2002, 01:19 PM
Nope, Street Fighter was done by New LIne. Now we have better technology and it will be done by FOX studios. So as long as we don't have McCallum near it , I have faith. My Wayne Static to the left saying he will be Vegeta is not really my first choice, but Steven Segal.

icatch9
07-19-2002, 02:23 PM
Segal is truely talented, but I just cannot see him in such a role. He's so.... I don't know....dry I guess. Even when parts of his role are funny, he just doesn't have the life or the spark DBZ seems like it would require. But I'm not acting coach or casting director so what do I know :D.