PDA

View Full Version : Treebeard

Geonosian
07-17-2002, 10:34 PM
Can anyone actuallt tell me what he does?
Does he fight?
Do anything?
Thanks.

Jonna
07-17-2002, 10:37 PM
TREE BEARD??? You lost me at hello!

Geonosian
07-17-2002, 10:39 PM
Ok...hes in The Two Towers.

Beast
07-17-2002, 10:55 PM
Treebeard is the leader of the Ent's. They are a race of living trees. Here is some info from TheOneRing.Net. John Rhys-Davies (Gimli) is doing the voice of him in the movie. From what I understand, we won't see to much of the Ent's in the movie, they were very hard to realize in CGI. :)

Aliases: Fangorn, Shepherd of the Trees, the Eldest
Date of Birth: ?
Race: Ent
Height: about 14 feet
Date of Death: ?
Alignment: Good
Parents: ?
Spouse: None
Date of Marriage: N/A
Children: None

Physical description: Resembles a large tree, with a beard of moss.

Biography: During the War of the ring, Treebeard was the oldest living thing in Middle Earth. Celeborn called him The Eldest. Treebeard was responsible for the rousing of the Ents against Saruman, and the destruction of Isengard.

Geonosian
07-17-2002, 11:14 PM
Thanks JarJar. So does he or any other ent fight at helms deep?

Beast
07-17-2002, 11:20 PM
The Ent's are supposed to be attacking and destroy Isengard (Sauruman's Keep) while Saruman's army is busy during the battle of Helm's Deep. It's in retaliation for when Sauruman had the forrest destroyed, to create his army in Fellowship. Atleast that's what I understand is to happen in Two Towers. I am avoiding mostly all the spoilers, and the books until after I have seen the movie. I am only reading the charecter profiles on TheOneRing.Net for the movies. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Geonosian
07-17-2002, 11:52 PM
Cool. But I think hes to old to fight. Maybe we WILL see other ents fight. What do you say?

Beast
07-17-2002, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Geonosian
Cool. But I think hes to old to fight. Maybe we WILL see other ents fight. What do you say?
From what I understand, they are having a real hard time realizing the Ent's thru CGI. And the last I heard, we will see the army of Ent's approaching Isengard, and then they will switch back to the battle at Helm's Deep, and then later flip back to Isengard to show that it's been destroyed. That may change, but I know they are saying that rendering the Ent's so they look realistic is a problem. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Geonosian
07-18-2002, 12:01 AM
I understand. So we see the army aproching...

jjreason
07-18-2002, 02:33 AM
I found it hard enough to come up with a mental image for ents while reading the book. I can't imagine what the CG artists are going through. They certainly can't do any worse than that ridiculous animated version did. Shame on Ralph Bakshi. Shame.

Geonosian
07-18-2002, 04:19 AM
No. We are talking a 200 million $ film. They know what they are doing. Well the figure is comming out in November.

Mandalorian Candidat
07-18-2002, 10:28 AM
I have 100% faith in Peter Jackson on this one. I saw the clip of one of the Ents (I'm assuming it was Treebeard) in the 2 towers preview and it looked alright to me. It seems that he's pretty keyed into what will look good and help to promote the plot and what won't. I think we'll get something that works decently enough.

mabudonicus
07-18-2002, 11:45 AM
JJreason- I couldn't visualize them either, at least not so they weren't fairly goofy looking. It's odd, this thread, cause I've been talking with buddies about just how they'll deal with em. I guess seeing less of them is the best way around it, maybe they'd be better off to try to make costumes that're enhanced with CGIs rather than do it all "virtual". HMMMMM.....

Geonosian
07-19-2002, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
I have 100% faith in Peter Jackson on this one. I saw the clip of one of the Ents (I'm assuming it was Treebeard) in the 2 towers preview and it looked alright to me. It seems that he's pretty keyed into what will look good and help to promote the plot and what won't. I think we'll get something that works decently enough. No pics have been relesed of Treebeard..yet.

Beast
07-19-2002, 01:24 AM
There is one shot of him, in the Two Towers preview. You can see I think it's Frodo next to this really ancient looking tree. It's eyes open, and then the scene switches. That is all that you see of him in the trailer. And I haven't been able to dig up a picture of that scene from the trailer. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Geonosian
07-19-2002, 01:29 AM
Really?.......JarJar can you find the pic.

Beast
07-19-2002, 01:36 AM
I tried digging it up for hours the other night, after you started this thread. I have been able to find images from almost all of the trailer and the preview, except for the split second shot of Treebeard. Sorry Geonosian, you will have to wait for August 6th, and hope that it's on the DVD. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Geonosian
07-19-2002, 01:41 AM
A thats a bit disapointing. But I have seen the new trailer and there was no whats so ever sign of TB. Are you sure JarJar.

Beast
07-19-2002, 01:46 AM
A thats a bit disapointing. But I have seen the new trailer and there was no whats so ever sign of TB. Are you sure JarJar.
It may have been in the preview that was shown at the end of Fellowship of the Ring, not the movie trailer that is showing in theaters now. They include alot of the same shots, but there are differences. I think Treebeard makes his apperance in that one. Sadly I don't have it saved on my hard drive anymore. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Geonosian
07-19-2002, 02:01 AM
DAMM!
But I diddnt see the prevew after FOTR.
Lets keep this thread going.

Mandalorian Candidat
07-19-2002, 02:11 PM
Yeah, it was a really fast shot of Treebeard in the preview. I almost don't remember what he looked like because it was so quick. I think he looks more tree than man, although I believe from the books he's supposed to be more man than tree unlike many of the Ents.

Geonosian
07-19-2002, 09:10 PM
Ok.. I sort of get the idea.

Geonosian
07-20-2002, 07:41 AM
Is TB in ROTK?

JON9000
07-22-2002, 05:46 PM
http://www.abc-kid.com/oz/index14.html

This is a test picture of Treebeard the Ent meeting one of our intrepid heroes. Note the top of the line CGI used in bringing him to life. Minions of Saruman beware! These trees have apples, and they aren't afraid to use them!

Geonosian
07-23-2002, 03:53 AM
Wized of oz eh......

pthfnder89
07-24-2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
There is one shot of him, in the Two Towers preview. You can see I think it's Frodo next to this really ancient looking tree.

Hmm, that's interesting. I never saw him in either of the previews, but most of the shots were edited together very fast so I might have missed him. I'll check it again tonight.

One thing though, if Treebeard was standing next to a hobbit it wouldn't be Frodo. He and Sam never meet the Ents. It'll be either Merry or Pippin who spend quite a long time with them in Fanghorn.

Geonosian - here's some more info on the Ents form the books, although JarJar has covered most of the basics.

-Treebeard is the oldest of the Ents
-He not only fights in The Two Towers, he is the one to lead the Ents against Saruman at Isengard.
-The Ents are generally very peaceful, but Saruman angered them by creating an Orc army; the Ents HATE orcs with a violent passion because the orcs destroy trees left and right as they march along.

I truly hope they show at least part of the Ents destruction of Isengard. It's one of the coolest images in the novel to me, as the Ents are described as terrifying powerful and horribley angry when they attack Isengard. It sends chills down my spine when I read it.

Beast
07-24-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by pthfnder89
One thing though, if Treebeard was standing next to a hobbit it wouldn't be Frodo. He and Sam never meet the Ents. It'll be either Merry or Pippin who spend quite a long time with them in Fanghorn.

-The Ents are generally very peaceful, but Saruman angered them by creating an Orc army; the Ents HATE orcs with a violent passion because the orcs destroy trees left and right as they march along.
My bad, the shot is really quick and I don't have it on my computer any longer. Was running out of HD space and had to nuke alot of my trailers. Like I said, I wasn't to sure which Hobbit it was. :)

Don't they actually hate Saruman because he destroyed the forest around Isengard to create the Orc army? That's why they attack and destroy Isengard? Atleast that was how I understood it. Though I haven't read the novels yet, so I could be wrong. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

pthfnder89
07-24-2002, 03:53 PM
Don't they actually hate Saruman because he destroyed the forest around Isengard to create the Orc army? That's why they attack and destroy Isengard? Atleast that was how I understood it. Though I haven't read the novels yet, so I could be wrong. :)

That's certainly part of it. Although I should mention that the scene in the first movie where Saruman has them cut down all the trees isn't really in the book. The book says that Isengard has changed dramatically since Saruman took it over, but it's never actually shown that he destroyed any trees.

He is also never shown creating the Orc Army in the way that he creates it in the film. It's implied because in TTT there is a faction of orcs that is loyal to him, and those orcs are modified to walk in sunlight, but there isn't a clear idea of how he created the army.

All of those scenes were pretty much placed in the movie because they needed a more palpable villain, so they chose Saruman. He doesn't have nearly as large of a role in the first book as he does in the first movie.

It's kind of complicated to describe the subtle differences in the book, but basically the Ents despise Orcs because they are destructive to everything around them, including, most importantly, trees. When they are marching, the orcs will simply burn or chop down any trees they see for no reason whatsoever. So the Ents literally want to kill any and every Orc they see.

Once Treebeard finds out that Saruman is using Orcs for his purposes, they become angry with him. Especially because Saruman has, in the past, pretended to befriend the Ents, visiting them in Fanghorn often to talk. So when they discover his treachery, they decided to storm Isengard.

bigbarada
07-25-2002, 12:37 AM
The biggest difference between the books and the movies is the pacing. For instance, over 20 years passed between Bilbo giving up the Ring and Gandalf actually warning Frodo of it's origin. After that, Frodo didn't leave the Shire for several months to a year, IIRC. The Fellowship spends over two weeks in Rivendell before setting off. Basically the book focuses more on the travelling than the getting there.

The movie retains the spirit of the book, but is best described as the shorthand version of Tolkien's story.

Not to imply that I didn't absolutely love the movie along with the book.

Anyways, on to the topic of the thread: Treebeard. Well, let's just say that if the CG version isn't that great looking, then the less we see of him the better. That scene is on somewhat dangerous ground, because it can turn out either really cool or reeeeeaaaallllyyyyy stupid looking. But I completely trust Peter Jackson's sensibilities on this.

Geonosian
07-25-2002, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by pthfnder89

Hmm, that's interesting. I never saw him in either of the previews, but most of the shots were edited together very fast so I might have missed him. I'll check it again tonight.

Geonosian - here's some more info on the Ents form the books, although JarJar has covered most of the basics.

-Treebeard is the oldest of the Ents
-He not only fights in The Two Towers, he is the one to lead the Ents against Saruman at Isengard.

I truly hope they show at least part of the Ents destruction of Isengard. It's one of the coolest images in the novel to me, as the Ents are described as terrifying powerful and horribley angry when they attack Isengard. It sends chills down my spine when I read it. Thanks for the info buddy, but I dont think TB fighs. He is too old. There might be a possiblity that we might see a few ENTS after the battle at Helms deep.
Has anyone been able to find the pic?

Geonosian
07-25-2002, 06:47 AM
JarJar can you please try and find the Treebeard pic. Iam dying to see him:)

bigbarada
07-26-2002, 01:18 AM
Well according to the actual book, in the words of Merry:

'When Treebeard had got a few arrows in him, he began to warm up, to get positively "hasty", as he would say. He let out a great hoom-hom, and a dozen more Ents came striding up. An angry Ent is terrifying. Their fingers, and their toes, just freeze on to rock; and they tear it up like bread-crust. It was like watching the work of great tree-roots in a hundred years, all packed into a few minutes.
'They pushed, pull, tore, shook, and hammered; and clang-bang, crush-crack, in five minutes they had these huge gates just lying in ruin; and some were already beginning to eat into the walls, like rabbits in a sand-pit. I don't know what Saruman thought was happening; but anyway he did not know how to deal with it.'

Should be interesting to see. So, they don't fight per se, but they do inflict a lot of damage.:)

Geonosian
07-26-2002, 01:24 AM
As anyon seen pics of him?

Beast
07-26-2002, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Should be interesting to see. So, they don't fight per se, but they do inflict a lot of damage.:)
Does sound intresting. It's really going to be a loss if they don't show it on film. Oh well, there is always the Novemeber 2003 Extended DVD release of "The Two Towers". Maybe they will put the scenes on the DVD once they figure how to do them convincingly. Or atleast the test footage from the attempts. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Deoxyribonucleic
07-26-2002, 01:30 AM
Can someone pretty please tell me who Poggle the Lesser is??? I've seen this name all over these boards and have little or no clue. My guess is that he/it is from LOTR but I'm not sure as I only read the Hobbit and about half way through the LOTR. I guess these next two movies will be quit the surprise for me then eh? hehe :)

Thanks in advance.

Beast
07-26-2002, 01:34 AM
He's a Star Wars charecter. Poggle the Lesser is the leader of the Geonosians. The one that gives Count Dooku the plans to the Death Star in AOTC's. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Geonosian
07-26-2002, 01:49 AM
JarJar did you find that Treebeared pic?
Please man, I really really want to see it.
Please.

Beast
07-26-2002, 01:52 AM
JarJar did you find that Treebeared pic?
Please man, I really really want to see it.
Please.
I'm sorry Geonosian. I have been digging for a while. You arn't going to see pictures this early. Peter Jackson has a press blackout on the Ent's. So getting pictures are almost impossible. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
07-26-2002, 02:15 AM
Gee, big suprise. As soon as I say for sure that I can't find the pictures from the trailer, I run across them. Here they are, there is 4 of them so please don't post until I have them all up. Maybe someone who remebers the Hobbit's names can tell me which one that is on Treebeard. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
07-26-2002, 02:16 AM
Here's the next one. :)

Beast
07-26-2002, 02:17 AM
And the third one. :)

Beast
07-26-2002, 02:18 AM
And finally, the last one. Now no one tell Peter Jackson about me. :)

Geonosian
07-26-2002, 02:18 AM
But I thought TB was in that prevew which in on the net. It carn't be that hard to find..

Deoxyribonucleic
07-26-2002, 12:39 PM
He's a Star Wars charecter. Poggle the Lesser is the leader of the Geonosians. The one that gives Count Dooku the plans to the Death Star in AOTC's. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

ROFL...guess I was WAY off....the name just sounds like one that comes from fantasy novels :) hehe

Thanks much JJB, most appreciated! :) :D

Geonosian
07-26-2002, 10:53 PM
And the third one. :) WHOOOOOOOOOOOO! Its TB its TB!!!!!!!!!!!! Ive seen him. Its not the best pic. But its the only one we have so far. Thanks JarJar. You are the greatest!!!
WWHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Lets discuss...

bigbarada
07-27-2002, 01:53 PM
If I remember correctly I think that is Pippin grabbing onto Treebeard's nose. If not, then it has to be Merry, since Frodo and Sam never meet him in the books.

Is he fully CG? Or only CG for the scenes when he's moving? He seems like an animatronic puppet in that scene. Cool looking though.

Beast
07-27-2002, 02:12 PM
Not sure BigB, I swore that they said that he was realized fully by CGI. So I would assume that he's CGI, but maybe they actually maybe made an animatronic Treebeard face for the seen where the Hobbit is grabbing his nose. It's hard to tell in still pictures. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

pthfnder89
07-27-2002, 06:37 PM
If I remember correctly I think that is Pippin grabbing onto Treebeard's nose. If not, then it has to be Merry, since Frodo and Sam never meet him in the books.
Nope, you're right the first time BB. It is indeed Pippin who is clinging on to him.

JarJar- I was looking around and I found that I had already downloaded that Chinese trailer and didn't know it. I like the shot of Treebeard but obviously it doesn't really give a good impression of how he'll look in the movie, so I guess we still have to wait and see. :(

Beast
07-27-2002, 06:45 PM
Well, it's not really the chinese trailer. That is the 3 extra minute sneak preview of TTT from the end of FOTR. The only copy of it I can find online though is one that was a bootleg from the theater. They must have gotten ahold of a print of the chinese one, for the screen grabs. Agreed, we don't see much of him, but it does make you salivate for the movie. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

pthfnder89
07-27-2002, 08:04 PM
Well, it's not really the chinese trailer. That is the 3 extra minute sneak preview of TTT from the end of FOTR. The only copy of it I can find online though is one that was a bootleg from the theater.

True, I just meant that it was recorded from a Chinese TV station.

Geonosian
07-27-2002, 09:00 PM

Is he fully CG? Or only CG for the scenes when he's moving? He seems like an animatronic puppet in that scene. Cool looking though. Your right BigB. It does look like a puppet. I thought TB would look more man. I guess we would have to wait for comic con to see a good pic of TB.

Beast
07-27-2002, 09:10 PM
Your right BigB. It does look like a puppet. I thought TB would look more man. I guess we would have to wait for comic con to see a good pic of TB.
You arn't going to see a good picture of Treebeard at comic con. Peter Jackson has a press blackout on the charecter. Best bet to see him before the movie opens, will be if the picture book comes out before the movie opens. Even the giant action figure of the charecter, and any other merchandise that features Treebeard will not be out until after the movie opens. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Geonosian
07-28-2002, 06:27 AM

You arn't going to see a good picture of Treebeard at comic con. Peter Jackson has a press blackout on the charecter. Best bet to see him before the movie opens, will be if the picture book comes out before the movie opens. Even the giant action figure of the charecter, and any other merchandise that features Treebeard will not be out until after the movie opens. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks No, his figure is comming out in November. Also all the TTT books are comming October/November. Also will there be any other Treebeard merchandice? If so, what?

Beast
07-28-2002, 10:05 AM
No, his figure is comming out in November. Also all the TTT books are comming October/November. Also will there be any other Treebeard merchandice? If so, what?
I think you're mistaken. According to the interviews with Toy Biz, Decipher, and one of the other companies that is making TTT merchandise, any thing that features the charecter of Treebeard can't come out until after the movie opens. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Geonosian
07-29-2002, 05:26 AM
what merchandice of TB is comming out?

Beast
07-29-2002, 05:33 AM
A figure similar in size to the Cave Troll from FOTR. Some Metal Minatures. And CCG cards for starters. The Balrog was under a similar press blackout, and the giant sized figures was scheduled for far after the movie came out. Sadly, last thing that I heard, they cancelled a couple assortments of figures, and the Balrog.

MTFWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

pthfnder89
07-29-2002, 02:24 PM
The Balrog was under a similar press blackout, and the giant sized figures was scheduled for far after the movie came out. Sadly, last thing that I heard, they cancelled a couple assortments of figures, and the Balrog.

Hmm... that doesn't sound good. The last news I had heard regarding the Balrog was that it was scheduled to be released in November, at the time that the first TTT figures would be hitting shelves. But then again, solid news about the Toy Biz LOTR line has been tough to pin down; seems like they've cancelled, rescheduled, moved up, and moved back the recent waves several times. :rolleyes:

Personally, I wouldn't be too upset if the Balrog didn't make it out, although I know a LOT of other LOTR fans would be. He just isn't my favorite creature/character.

Plus, the only real reason I would be interested in one is because of it's size, and with Toy Biz's figures being about 7-8" scale, there's just no way they could make the Balrog big enough to satisfy me:)

Geonosian
07-29-2002, 06:39 PM
A figure similar in size to the Cave Troll from FOTR. Some Metal Minatures. And CCG cards for starters. The Balrog was under a similar press blackout, and the giant sized figures was scheduled for far after the movie came out. Sadly, last thing that I heard, they cancelled a couple assortments of figures, and the Balrog.

MTFWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks JarJar do you think that there will be a normal figure of a "Ent warrior" the size of the other figures. Also do you think there will be smaller TB figures.
Thanks.

Beast
07-29-2002, 06:43 PM
Well all the Ent's are trees, so even while they arn't as big or old as Treebeard, they would still be bigger then the average figure. So no, I don't think they would make a regular figure the same size as the others. It would be vastly out of scale with the rest of the figures, if they did it. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Geonosian
07-29-2002, 07:19 PM
I understand what you are saying JarJar. I think there will be some TB products. Like a bookmark ect, ect.
What do you think?

Geonosian
07-31-2002, 01:14 AM
JarJar a bookmark maybe?...?

Geonosian
08-02-2002, 09:08 AM
JarJar any news on Treebeard?

bigbarada
08-13-2002, 05:38 PM
Well, just found this on www.theonering.net (the SSG of the Tolkien world). It is a picture of the Applause vinyl figure of Treebeard (with Merry and Pippin sitting on his "shoulders" to give an idea of how big he will be in the film). Don't know how this was allowed to leak out, but I figured I had better swipe it before Petey has a chance to have it pulled.:)

Beast
08-13-2002, 05:46 PM
Wow, that is pretty damned cool BigB. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. Though I doubt that I will collect any of the LOTR's collectibles other then Sauraman and Sauron, It's nice to see the stuff. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
08-13-2002, 06:26 PM
JarJar do you think that there will be a normal figure of a "Ent warrior" the size of the other figures. Also do you think there will be smaller TB figures.
Thanks.

All the Ents are roughly the same size as Treebeard ("ent" is the Saxon word for "giant") so he will probably be the only toy of that race that will be offered.:(

I mainly posted that pic to give an idea of how PJ's vision of TB will look. I'm sure that he will be more detailed and rougher around the edges in the actual film. I'm just glad that he doesn't look like Ralph Bakshi's interpretation of him.

Geonosian
08-13-2002, 08:53 PM
WOW, AWESOME!!
Is the the way Treebeard will look in the movie?
Thanks BigB!

scruffziller
08-16-2002, 08:03 AM
He is what we call Treefolk.