PDA

View Full Version : Opening Saga figures?

Big Chewie
07-18-2002, 01:44 AM
Just wondering what the best way to open these saga figs, without completly tearing the cards?
Any suggestions?

bigbarada
07-18-2002, 01:49 AM
You could try the exacto knife approach and carefully cut off the plastic bubble, but this usually leaves pieces of the bubble on the card and makes it harder to store them (it's safe to assume that keeping the cards is your priority, why worry about tearing them if you are just going to throw them away?).

I usually just use my fingernail to pry up a corner of the bubble and slowly tear off the bubble, this leaves the card relatively intact.

Beast
07-18-2002, 01:51 AM
Hobby knife or Paring knife is what I use. I slit the bubble right where it attached to the card, from one corner at the bottem, all the way around to the other corner at the bottem. That leaves the bubble just attached at the bottom, and you can easily get the figure out. No fuss, no muss. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

chubbychicken
07-18-2002, 02:09 AM
i use a knife or exacto knife and i cut around the bubble but i leave the bottom so the bubble stays on the card

RAVAZ
07-18-2002, 02:16 AM
What has this hobby come to? The Art of opening your figures. I'm speechless......

Big Chewie
07-18-2002, 02:19 AM
I just want to save the card.
Dont want the bubble and every time I try it just pulls up part of the card.
I know I will never get it looking like a bubble was never on it, but as close as I can get is what I'm shooting for.
I cut the bubble off but how do you get the part glued on the card off?

Thanks for the replies

Big Chewie
07-18-2002, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by RAVAZ
What has this hobby come to? The Art of opening your figures. I'm speechless......

I hear what your saying.

Its not that important. I'm not worried if they are not perfect,
not trying to sell them or anything.
Just thought someone might know a good way to do this on these flimsy cards.

Darth Narcis
07-18-2002, 02:44 AM
at least you open them? whats wrong with not opening them?.... people on this board make it sound like it is a crime if you dont open all your figures. besides, they look better in the packaging, it's a safer place.

Big Chewie
07-18-2002, 02:50 AM
Nothing wrong with not opening them.
Nothing wrong with that at all.
I wasn't trying to say it that way so I will delete it.
Sorry if I offended you.

Beast
07-18-2002, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by RAVAZ
Zen and the Art of Opening Action Figures. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
07-18-2002, 08:36 AM
I do what some use- an exacto knife. Carefully cut along the side where the bubble meets the card.

Forhekset
07-18-2002, 08:39 AM
I've heard that people who customize and stuff "steam" the bubbles off the cards, or something like that. Removes the glue without damaging the card I think. I personally rip the packages open like it's Christmas every time I open a figure though. :D However, with almost all of the Saga figs, I've needed a knife to extract the figure from the blister....

Jargo
07-18-2002, 09:17 AM
I'm with you all the way Forhekset :D I personally think that carded collectors have - 'issues' but hey - who cares about them. If they want to go buy stuff and leave it wrapped up like a museum piece fine. It's like buying a car and not driving it far as I'm concerned. Why buy if you aren't going to use it? There's a philosophy about possesions which goes something like 'keep only that which you use' Can't remember exactly but I try to stick to it. Throw out the packaging and keep the figures. The figures I use. The figures I don't use I throw away too. Bought a lot of crappy figures since '95 figures that've been reworked better. Why keep the crappy versions? Throw it out. figures ships and accessories. One day i'll ditch the whole collection. I'll just get bored with it and throw the whole lot out in the trash. Me and my partner are both that way with all posessions. If you haven't used something for three months you're never likely to use it so it goes in the trash. Posession is constipation of the soul. :zzz:

Mandalorian30
07-18-2002, 09:30 AM
You can give those unused figures to me instead of throwing them away!!!!! :D

Jedi Juice
07-18-2002, 10:05 AM
I just bust open the the bubble with my fingers and voila!....at least the ones that I open. I only open a few figures, mainly the awesome characters, because I collect carded and can't afford to purchase doubles.

Forhekset
07-18-2002, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
I'm with you all the way Forhekset :D I personally think that carded collectors have - 'issues' but hey - who cares about them. If they want to go buy stuff and leave it wrapped up like a museum piece fine. It's like buying a car and not driving it far as I'm concerned. Why buy if you aren't going to use it? There's a philosophy about possesions which goes something like 'keep only that which you use' Can't remember exactly but I try to stick to it. Throw out the packaging and keep the figures. The figures I use. The figures I don't use I throw away too. Bought a lot of crappy figures since '95 figures that've been reworked better. Why keep the crappy versions? Throw it out. figures ships and accessories. One day i'll ditch the whole collection. I'll just get bored with it and throw the whole lot out in the trash. Me and my partner are both that way with all posessions. If you haven't used something for three months you're never likely to use it so it goes in the trash. Posession is constipation of the soul. :zzz:

Jargo, your post reminded me of something I read over at RebelScum the other day, about the Kotobukiya Darth Vader. The guy basically said that if you thought the figure looked great loose, wait til you saw it boxed. Excuse me? That sentiment seems all bass-ackward to me. The actual product that you're (supposedly) interested in is inside the packaging. :rolleyes: I wonder if Hasbro could market a line of empty cards - no figure inside - and still pawn them off at $5 apiece to people. Oh well, whatever. I don't understand carded collectors, and I never will.

OriginalBryGuy
07-18-2002, 03:43 PM
You can also get some GooGone and a Q-Tip and put it around the plastic. Usually this will cause the glue to erode and you can lift the plastic off with little or no tearing.

jdmarlow
07-18-2002, 04:02 PM
I understand the statements above by EMPEROR JARGO and Forhekset. However, I am a carded VARIATION collector, and I have this to say:

Collecting is a hobby that is fun based on how YOU, the individual, decides to do it. I collect carded for the sake of having a collection. Like collecting stamps...you won't USE them will you? But you still collect them. Why? No particular reason I guess. I enjoy doing it. Occassionally I will buy extras to open up and have a good time with, but that is a bonus. That is just my opinion. I think that the one great thing about collecting (especially star wars) is that there is such a diversity of mentalities to HOW and WHY collect. Any thoughts?

Jargo
07-18-2002, 04:21 PM
I guess so. It's the chalk and cheese syndrome. Potato/potarto, tomato/tomarto....

It just seems really freaky to me the way people buy stuff and never open it and gaze at it like a dead butterfly in a glass case.
I'm like Forhekset, I will never in a million years understand why people buy anything just to keep it packaged. And to buy something just for the packaging is seriously scary. I hear warning bells go off when I read stuff like that AAAAooooooo!!!!! AAAAAAoooooooo!!!!! freaky psycho alert!!!!!

Captain Trips
07-19-2002, 09:39 AM
Do whatever feels good, I guess.

Me?

As a kid in 1977, I couldn't wait to open my figures. They may not be worth nearly as much as if they had been carded, but the joy and happiness they brought me as a child are the reason I KEEP collecting today.

And at 28, I still tear those buggers open like its Christmas morning.

sith_killer_99
07-19-2002, 03:48 PM
obsessive compulsive disorder.

Yes, I am a carded collector. Not only that, but I also collect carded figures from around the world.

Canadian carded Star Wars figures.
European carded Star Wars figures.
Italian carded Star Wars figures.

And more, I have carded figures from Mexico, Singapore and Japan.

I have them all neatly packed in pro cases, catagorized and displayed in sets:

SOTE
Expanded Universe
Orange Carded
Green Carded without holo's
Green Carded with holo's
Freeze Frames
Green CommTech
Episode 1 Red Carde
Power of the Jedi
SAGA WITH Backgrounds
SAGA Without Backgrounds

Canadian
European
Italian
Japanese
Mexican

You name it. Not to mention the loose collection. :D

I am a disturbed individual. But I never could understand those Long saber, Short saber, missing Dots, etc. collectors.

Talk about your wack jobs!:rolleyes:

LOL, JK...I enjoy all aspects of collecting. Carded, loose, even the ocassional error or variation.

BTW, I keep most of my old cards. Just cuz I think they look pretty cool. I also have a vintage ROTJ Boba Fett card, just the card. It's in mint condition the bubble just sorta fell off over time, no real noticable damage to the card.

Why, because I could NEVER afford a MOMC Vintage Boba Fett (even a more common ROTJ...Space scene). So I traded a guy for it.:)

Anyway, to each their own. Heck, if you all think carded collectors are weird...I used to be a COMPLETIST.:eek: