PDA

View Full Version : The 80's

pinoysith
07-18-2002, 02:15 AM
I'm diggin' the 80's avatars on the MBs, so I decided to start a thread on my favorite things from the 80's.

TV Shows:
-Knight Rider
-Street Hawk
-V: The Series
-Silver Spoons (big up to Freddie Lippincoddleman)
-Diff'rent Strokes
-Dragon's Lair

Movies:
-SW OT
-Goonies
-Karate Kid
-Ferris Bueller
-Fast Times at RH
-Ghostbusters

Video Games:
-Donkey Kong
-Galaga
-Frogger
-Elevator Action
-Mike Tyson's Punch Out
-Metroid
-Super Mario Bros
-Combat (Atari 2600)
-Defender (Atari 2600)
-Megamania (Atari 2600)

Cartoons:
-Transformers
-Mon-chi-chis
-Snorks
-Smurfs
-Space Ghost
-M.A.S.K.
-Voltron
-Silverhawks
-The Chipmunks
-The Littles

Toys:
-Transformers (reissues come out in August!!!)
-M.U.S.C.L.E.S.
-Hot Wheels

Candy:
-Pop Rocks
-Jumbo Pixie Stix
-Lik-A-Stik

Music:
-Run DMC
-New Edition
-Kool Moe Dee
-Bangles
-Phil Collins
-Midnight Oil
-INXS

Misc.:
-Garbage Pail Kids
-Breakdancing
-KFC Chicken Littles (man, bring it back!!!)

mabudonicus
07-18-2002, 08:25 AM
The one thing I don't get is how stuff that was generally lame in the 80s is the stuff the media wants you to remember as what "made it" back then. (BTW, this isn't a flame, just bear with me) F'rinstance, the nuclear paranoia most of us felt never comes up. I was scared SILLY back in the "day after" days.
(I guess these'll be dislikes first) I really didn't like the political background of much of the decade. And I didn't like pink fox shrits either. It's funny now, how the media tends to portray the 60s as being the same as the way the 60s were portrayed in the 80s- or is that just me??
I liked that show called "wizards and warriors" I think- at the end of each scene, it would freeze and turn into an old fashioned painting- ANYBODY recall this? I loved the Fall Guy. I LOVED Hardcastle and Mccormick (COYOTE!!) I loved the GIjoe toys (ARAH) And of course Transformers.
I just get worried thinking about how the media presents the decade as some sort of "pinnacle of civilisation", cause I was there, and it wasn't like that at all in a lot of ways .
(wait- is this a "political" opinion from mabudon?? But I RETIRED!!)
Okay, nevermind:)

Jargo
07-18-2002, 08:37 AM
The 'ME!ME!ME!' generation is how I remember the 80's. Capitalism, consumerism and communism at fever pitch. War, trade strikes, Wall street, hideous clothing and hair and jewellery, and big colored frame glasses and synth music from hell, gadgets and gizmos that changed the way the whole world thinks, action hero tv, movies, comics, books, bedlinen, clothing, flourescant everything, fast food, fast lovin', fast disease epidemics, space war technology, interstellar dreams, acne, youth TV, MTV, sexual awakenings, first love, the real world closing in on my fragile existence. The death of innocence...

Exhaust Port
07-18-2002, 08:45 AM
Just to add to your list pinoysith:

TV Shows:
-Dukes of Hazzard
-Blue Thunder
-Sledgehammer

Movies:
-Transformers
-GI Joe
-Top Gun
-Back to the Future

Video Games:
-Time Pilot
-Out Run
-Centapede

Cartoons:
-GI Joe
-Go Bots
-COPS
-Thundercats
-Robotech

Toys:
-Go Bots
-GI Joe
-Stompers
-Rubics Cube

Candy:
-Everything by Willy Wonka

Music:
-Too many 1 hit wonders to list

Misc:
-California Raisens (....I heard it through the grapevine...)
-Delorians
-VCR's
-Beta
-Walkman's
-The Space Shuttle
-Skylab
-CD's
-Atari
-PacMan fever
-Superbowl Shuffle (with the "Frig")
-"The Day After"
-The Challenger
-Personal Computers
-Boomboxes/Ghetto Blasters

Jonna
07-18-2002, 09:49 AM
Oh no! I can feel myself Turning Japansese as we speak! I REALLY think so!:crazed:

Mandalorian Candidat
07-18-2002, 10:16 AM
I can sum up my 80's experience in two words...

Duran Duran

OK, stop throwing eggs and tomatoes now.

QLD
07-18-2002, 10:19 AM
My god......I am.....WALKING ON SUNSHINE at the thought of it.....

Jonna
07-18-2002, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
I can sum up my 80's experience in two words...

Duran Duran

OK, stop throwing eggs and tomatoes now.

Hell no to the throwing things and the pain and the rough play! I've seen them twice.

pinoysith
07-18-2002, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Jonna

Hell no to the throwing things and the pain and the rough play! I've seen them twice.

Duran Duran's "Hungry Like the Wolf" was the first video I ever saw on MTV.

Lobito
07-18-2002, 11:53 AM
The 80's???

Ok...ESB...ROTJ

Heavy Metal

Cold war movies...

Lots of advances in technology...

Earthquakes...

Great legends of tennis...(well in most sports)

billfremore
07-18-2002, 11:56 AM
Oh no! I can feel myself Turning Japansese as we speak! I REALLY think so!:crazed:

Yeah well I just found out I'm on a Mexican Radio.

I suddenly have a craving for barbequed iguana...

Lobito
07-18-2002, 12:01 PM
Yeah well I just found out I'm on a Mexican Radio.

What radio would that be??

Jonna
07-18-2002, 12:09 PM
Oh, Yoda you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind! Go Yoda! Go Yoda!

Alright, I admit that I deserve a wet fish beating for that one, but it needed to be said.

billfremore
07-18-2002, 12:09 PM
lol :D

I was referring to the song, Mexican Radio by Wall of Voodoo Lobito.

sorry for the confusion. :)

Lobito
07-18-2002, 12:12 PM
I still cant open my eye from that hit in the tavern...see??:Pirate:

Hehehehe...ahhh the 80's!!

billfremore
07-18-2002, 12:12 PM
Oh, Yoda you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind! Go Yoda! Go Yoda!

Alright, I admit that I deserve a wet fish beating for that one, but it needed to be said.

Pick your poison, Trout or Walleye?

billfremore
07-18-2002, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Lobito
I still cant open my eye from that hit in the tavern...see??:Pirate:

Sorry about that, I'm nasty when I'm sober :D

Jonna
07-18-2002, 12:14 PM
Does anyone remeber:

"Kiss me once. Kiss me twice. Come on me pretty baby. Kiss me deadly."

So much useless information is stuck in the folds of my brain like gum on the sole of one's shoe.

stormie
07-18-2002, 12:23 PM
I loved the eighties during the eighties, but can't stand much about them anymore. The bad period movies (save Fast Times), the bad synth music (Flock of Howard Jones), the fluorescent fabrics all the kiddies wore to school, and girls in tight 501s and checkered Vans...well, maybe I don't hate all the stuff from the eighties. ;)

Jonna
07-18-2002, 12:27 PM
I have tons of mixed 80's tapes. They are really funny to listen to with people who haven't heard that stuff since the 80's. Ah, the memories! Now if I could just forget about how lame the 90's were. :dead:

billfremore
07-18-2002, 12:31 PM
Does anyone remeber:

"Kiss me once. Kiss me twice. Come on me pretty baby. Kiss me deadly."

Ahh yes...
Lita Ford.
I went to party last Saturday night, I didn't get...

Jonna
07-18-2002, 12:33 PM
But did you get in a fight!?!

Pendo
07-18-2002, 12:47 PM
I wasn't even in my teens during the 80's so can't remember much about it but things I do remember are:
ESB and ROTJ (of course)
The Droids and Ewoks cartoon series,
Thundercats,
Space Ghost,
Transformers,
Ghostbusters,
Terminator,
and Red Dwarf.

billfremore
07-18-2002, 12:57 PM
But did you get in a fight!?!

Uh huh.
It ain't no big thing.

El Chuxter
07-18-2002, 01:43 PM

Every time you turn Japanese, God kills a kitten. :p

Being big Ozzy fans as they are, I bet Thrawn and Caesar will get this quote from another Lita Ford song:

"If I close my eyes forever
Something something yeah yeah yeah"

Oh, and Joan Jett rules! I went to a Def Leppard concert in 99 that was attended mainly by people who were in their teens and early 20s in the 80s. They apparently thought Joan Jett and Def Leppard were safe to bring kids to. Well, Def Leppard was, at least (though several kids wondered aloud why they stole the opening to "Pretty Fly for a White Guy"). But Joan, being the original riot grrrl she is, runs out on stage, balder than Mace Windu and wearing bright red leather bondage gear, and screams a slightly different version of the first line of her hit song: "I don't give a $#&* about my bad reputation!" It was great seeing all those parents trying to shield their kids' ears after the fact--just like a replay of "It's not even dented? Oh $#@*, what're we gonna do now?" from Transformers: The Movie.

Jango Jett
07-18-2002, 02:08 PM
the 1980's:

soul and rap music was popular with blacks & mexicans only
break dancing
baggy pants
shirts or jackets with zippers all over like Michael Jackson wore
AIDS was a new disiese
DISCO was still popular in the early 80's
CONVERSE hi-tops in several different colors were popular
guys use to get perms at the hair salon, "body waves" were in
style.
tight fitting designer jeans like Jordash or Kalven Klein
RAY BAN Wayfarer style sunglasses were in style
people that wore eye glasses were considered Nerds in school
now it is a fashion statement and cool to wear glasses.
Terminater was a big hit
First Blood was a hit
TOP GUN was a big hit
:Pirate:

billfremore
07-18-2002, 02:10 PM
Stop!

Hammertime!

Jonna
07-18-2002, 02:11 PM
Are we all forgetting break dancing so easily. People gyrating on cardboard layed out on sidewalks.

AND 3 quarter length sleeve shirts.

billfremore
07-18-2002, 02:22 PM
How about that really cool movie Breakin' and it's equally cool sequel Breakin' 2—Electric Boogaloo?

Jonna
07-18-2002, 02:25 PM
Bill, what is that new avatar?

Oh ya, Gleaming the Cube and the Frog brothers: Edgar and Allen.

billfremore
07-18-2002, 02:27 PM
Oh that...

Did you ever see the show Automan with Desi Arnaz Jr.?

Jonna
07-18-2002, 02:29 PM
I don't remember it, but the whole thing sounds like the beginning of a joke to me.

Oh ya, who could forget The Greatest American Hero!

billfremore
07-18-2002, 02:31 PM
Wow I never realized it but yeah, you're right, it does.

It was a rather silly show with a dumb premise but it had some pretty cool Tron-like effects and when you're 13 that's all you really need.

anarky
07-18-2002, 02:36 PM
remember when tipper gore went all nutso because her daughter understood a prince song and she didn't? and frank zappa, dee snider, and john denver had to band together to defeat her?

a quote from al gore at the hearings: "welcome, mr zappa, mr denver--i'm a big fan of your music." (turning to dee snider) "i am not, however, a fan of yours"

pinoysith
07-18-2002, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by billfremore
How about that really cool movie Breakin' and it's equally cool sequel Breakin' 2—Electric Boogaloo?

Turbo and Ozone were dope! And wasn't Ice-T in Breakin 2 EB?

mabudonicus
07-18-2002, 03:35 PM
Those senate hearings were HILARIOUS!! I totally forgot about em earlier!! The fact that Jello , Zappa, John Denver, Blackie Lawless (I think,anyways) were all there representing freedom of speech. Does anyone recall the pamphlets out at that time, saying that certain symbols from other religions were satanic, or that if your child wore tennis shoes, they might be worshipping the devil?? When I started seeing stuff like that, that was about when I REALLY started to question things I saw, read, heard, well, anything. I guess that was the good thing about the 80s- they were so ridiculous that you didn't even have to believe anything.
Maybe that don't make sense. PS- Automan was GREAT/TERRIBLE,
freemore. Like Tron mixed with Megaforce(GREAT film, kinda goofy, but fun) and macgyver all at once!!

Eternal Padawan
07-18-2002, 06:18 PM
Hardcastle and McCormack! Rock on madubon!

Don't forget

Scarecrow and Mrs. King
Manimal
Riptide
Simon & Simon

and the greatest show ever:

Tales of the Gold Monkey! Hooray! (see avatar)

Jonna
07-18-2002, 08:36 PM
Don't you dare forget about the New Zoo Revue or The Great Space Coaster!!!!

Jedi Juice
07-18-2002, 10:43 PM
Hmm, let's see. My favorite thing about the '80s?

Ah yes, the year I was born, 1984 (also a novel by Orwell).

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-18-2002, 10:48 PM
Stop!

Hammertime!

I think Hammer was a 90's thing.

Ahhhh, the 80's. I was born in 1980 so technically I am a child of the 80's. What do I remember, what 80's stuff do I currently show an interest to and what stuff I have read about . . .

Hill Street Blues
St. Elsewhere
Press You Luck (big bucks no whammies!)
Family Ties
The Cosby Show
The Golden Girls
Punky Brewster
Night Court

Spandau Ballet
The Bangles
Weird Al Yankovic
Richard Marx
Phil Collins
Run DMC
Van Halen
MTV when it didn't suck

ROTJ (the furthest thing in my life that I can recall)
Stand By Me
The Goonies
Glory
Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Ronald Reagan
Crack Cocaine
the advent of rap
Grenada
Cherynobl
Tiannamen Square
the Contras vs Sandinastas in Nicaragua
Ollie North
reckless Wall Street
Mike Tyson
breakdancing
rubix cube
yuppies

q-bert
burger time
Golden Axe
Zelda

jjreason
07-19-2002, 02:16 AM
In the 80's I went from being 8 to 18. Quite a span. In that time...

- I got r2 and greedo on one birthday cake and Hoth Han, a Tauntaun and Bespin Leia in my Christmas stocking
- I got 45rpm records by the basketfull, the first of which were "Abracadabra" by Steve Miller, and "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor
- I got many new SW toys, many new GI Joe toys, many new Masters of the Universe toys, many new Transformers toys, many new Micronauts, Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers...you get my point
- I fell in love with the Uncanny X-Men at issue 140, only to have my love slowly fade after issue 143. If only I'd known then it was as good as it was going to get right when I started, I'd have saved a bundle of cash. I still get comics, including Uncanny X-Men, to this very day
- I watched Starblazers, G-Force, Voltron, Rambo, Rocky IV, Commando, Terminator, Family Ties, Diffrent Strokes, Eight is Enough, Little House on the Prairie, A-Team, CHiPs, Dukes of Hazzard AND the spin-off Enos show, Hill Street, MASH, That's Incredible!, the Incredible Hulk, the Electric Company with Morgan Freeman and the Amazing Spider-Man!, and countless other shows and movies. Raised by television as well as my folks.
- I played Atari 2600 and Commodore 64
- I skateboarded and breakdanced
- I fought with my dad daily over hanging out with the guys, or "geeks" as he liked to say, instead of chasing girls
- I went to high school
- I got ____, ____, and _____ all for the first time
- I went to Florida and California. I also went to Detroit. I only ever went BACK to Detroit.
- my best friend from grade 7 and 8 killed a guy in a bar fight in downtown London, ON. He went to do 6 years fed time in Kingston Penn. :sur::sur::sur: Scary how things can happen in an instant.

I remember Kirk Gibson's World Series homers in 1984 off Goose Gossage (and again in 1988 off whom I can't remember), Bob Nystrom's Cup winning goal on Pete Peeters, Gretzky's 50 in 39, Gretzky being moved to LA, Wrestlemania I and II, Super Bowl XX, the Americans winning EVERY medal at the Olympics in LA, Canada winning next to no medals 4 years later at the Winter Games in Calgary (only host country to not win gold at a games, I believe), and many other sports moments.

I lived pretty much in limbo in terms of politics. I remember Tiananmen square and Reagan getting shot, but little else.

I think Jargo's post reflected the 80's best: for me it was mosaic of exposures, thoughts, feelings, and experiences unlike any other time I will ever undergo. The 80's is when I started the long process of growing up.

mabudonicus
07-19-2002, 07:33 AM
Yeah, ditto JJ. I just wanted to bring up somethig else I haven't seen here yet- REAL PEOPLE!! Anybody watch that?? Skip stevenson, byron allen, and the everyman of the 80's himself, FREEEEED WILLARD!! (BTW SCTV was pretty funny in the 80s as well)
Manimal?? That was quite the show. What about misfits of science, starring courtney cox?? What about the highwayman, featuring another 80's icon, Jocko(oi?)?
What about new Coke?? How bout the drug known as "bazooka"? (they never really convinced the public on that one)
Caesar- what about KISS's concept album, "Music from the Elder"?
KISS don't WANT you to recall that one, but it's worth a listen, if only for the profound feeling of WTF!?! ya get when ya spin it.

Eternal Padawan
07-19-2002, 08:24 AM
Misfits of Science!
Press your Luck!

This thread is awesome! Not only is it bringing up great memories, it's giving me fodder for months of avatars!

mabudon, if they ever let us have customized ranking, you can be Lord of the STANSE! :D until then you can link to your website in your signature with that particular subtitle! If I was still RT, my customized rank would Eternal Padawan, but since I'm already EP, I can't think of a decent title. :(

El Chuxter
07-19-2002, 12:13 PM
Music From the Elder rules!! Even if it is not very KISS-esque, it's the only album Ace and Eric played together on, which makes it great by default!

(Not that it's not a great listen anyway.)

Jonna
07-19-2002, 12:31 PM
I can't remember if this was in the 70's or 80's, but does anyone remember KISS in the Park. Now there is something for the worst movies ever thread!

Jacen Solo
07-19-2002, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Juice
Hmm, let's see. My favorite thing about the '80s?

Ah yes, the year I was born, 1984 (also a novel by Orwell).

1983 was better, the year I was born.:D

billfremore
07-19-2002, 01:00 PM
I remember that one, now that was a cool movie.

Mind you I was only 8 when I saw it.
(Everything's cool when you're 8)

jjreason
07-20-2002, 12:03 AM
"Square Pegs" (with "Sex in the City" star Sarah Jessica Parker and the girl from "Less than Zero") as geeks (not nowadays!!).

"One Day at a Time" (Schneider was the COOLEST in that building superintendent kind of way).

"Alice" (Mel Sharples, the archetypal diner chef upon whom Dexter Jettster was obviously somewhat fashioned)

"Facts of Life" (Tootie, Blair and Joe HOT HOT HOT, Natalie NOT)

"Happy Days" and the great spin-off "Mork and Mindy". In the 80's the spin-off was KING. "Dynasty", "Dallas", and the king of prime time drama "Falcon Crest". Damn, that was some HOT tv!

Michael Jackson beaded gloves at school in grade 5. If you had one, you were IT.

And last.....
But not least.....
One of my absolute favorite and most vivid memories of the times.....

Roller skating at "Wheels". Ahhhhh Yeah!!!!
Sweet Dreams were made of this.

Obi-Don
07-20-2002, 05:07 AM
The last part of high school and going into the Army. Yes the 80's brings back so much. Makes me want to go back and relive some of thoses good times and change some of the mistakes I made.

mabudonicus
07-20-2002, 11:06 AM
Schneider was pretty great, I concur, in that "way".
Remember "It's Your Move", that weird show where the main characters loved this skeleton rock band?? I loved that sjhow for some reason...
Member the "Condo" and the old, sitcom 1/2 hour length "ER" shows, as like a tuesday night double team?? Those shows were right terrible, I hope no-one DOES remember them.
What about the Tom Hanks film, "Mazes and Monsters"? I was a DandD freak at the time, and I found the film both insulting and compelling, somehow.....

billfremore
07-20-2002, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by jjreason
And last.....
But not least.....
One of my absolute favorite and most vivid memories of the times.....

Roller skating at "Wheels". Ahhhhh Yeah!!!!
Sweet Dreams were made of this.

My god, you've suddely reminded me of all the times I spent on roller skates at the local Wheels playing Defender.

Ok now I feel old.:(

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-21-2002, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Obi-Don
The last part of high school and going into the Army. Yes the 80's brings back so much. Makes me want to go back and relive some of thoses good times and change some of the mistakes I made.

I often long for those carefree childhood days of the mid 80's, especially those days where I didn't have school yet and I would stay home with mother, read my kiddy books and watch TV all day. That was of course life without hassles or pressure.

If I did have a chance to go back I course would buy up all of the Droid Star Wars figures that I could find, keep them carded and well cared for.

Jonna
07-22-2002, 04:06 PM
To refresh all those strange memories from the 80's go here:

http://www.yesterdayland.com/

boss nass
07-22-2002, 06:17 PM
MAX HEADRUM!!

jjreason
07-22-2002, 06:41 PM
Sheena Easton on Miami Vice. Wow.

scruffziller
07-23-2002, 05:04 AM
actually I cannot really define decades as wholes. What I have seen in the last half century is that decades are best split up into 1/3s. THe first third of the 80s is relatively different than the mid 80s and altogether different in the late 80s. Even the 90s were the same. Just look at the 60s too. Early 60s was way different by the time '69 rolled around. 70s too. I mean whe you think of 80s you think of ESB, FLock of Seagulls, Culture Club, Goonies, Sixteen Candles, Revenge of the Nerds, Friday THe THirteenth, Nightmare on Elmstreet, Def Leapard. You don't think of Batman,The 2nd Mission Impossible series, Bad Boys series, New Kids On the Block, DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince but those were about '89, still the 80s but you don't think of them as the 80s.

TeeEye7
07-23-2002, 06:46 AM
....the 80's was about hair.

Girls had big hair.

Guys in rock bands had big hair.

Punks had big, spiked, colored hair.

Why didn't I invest in Revlon stock..........:mad:

billfremore
07-23-2002, 07:57 AM
Don't forget that great invention, the hair crimper.

You know the thing that made your hair look like you just jammed a fork into a wall socket?

Jargo
07-23-2002, 09:02 AM
Technically speaking, punk only ever happened in the UK during the one year - 1977, and centered around London. Everything after that is not punk but a pale imitation and commercialisation of the ethos that provoked the punk underground movement. Punk realistically lasted just three months. What you got after that was a desperate need to cling to a moment in time that actually meant something. Much the same as the real hippy movement only lasted one summer but the ethos got warped out of shape and consumed by the lazy drop outs and hangers on.

billfremore
07-23-2002, 09:08 AM
Yeah it seems like it's lasted forever, kinda like disco which only really laste 2-3 years as well.

Not that Disco is anything like Punk.
Well maybe a little bit :D

Jargo
07-23-2002, 09:14 AM
Yeah, the hippy thing was the first thing I thought of, but the disco thing is a better analogy. :) New wave is what is what followed punk, which mutated into the awful pap we suffered all through the eighties. The NY city and LA punk scenes happened much later but they never had the same energy or any of the politics that made the UK punk scene what is was and so great. It's kinda like the monsters of Rock we got in the late sixties and early seventies turning into glam rocker Dee Snider or David Lee Roth. Just a sad pastiche of what it used to be. A horrid commercial mutant.

Jonna
07-23-2002, 09:17 AM
Don't forget that great invention, the hair crimper.

You know the thing that made your hair look like you just jammed a fork into a wall socket?

Hell, up until last year I still had one. The 80's were all about Robert Smith of The Cure for me.:D

billfremore
07-23-2002, 09:28 AM
The 80's for me were all about thinking how cool l looked in my parachute pants and ghostbusters t-shirt.

Jango Jett
07-23-2002, 11:13 AM
The 80's for me were all about thinking how cool l looked in my parachute pants and ghostbusters t-shirt.

Billfrenmore, I remember those nylon parachute pants with all the
zippers, I also remember some early 1980's slang:

take it to "the MAX" = the best or the limit

"totally awesome dude" ! = thats great or outstanding man !

"thats RAD" = that is cool

"Whats Up" = how are you doing ?

"Party Hardy" = have a good time

"Jam" = go

"Jammin" = leaving or going home

"totally" = really or extremely

:cool:

billfremore
07-23-2002, 11:20 AM
Hey remember the commercials:

Where's the Beef!?!

Does anybody remember the short lived campaign BK did with a guy named HERB?

Jonna
07-23-2002, 11:23 AM
I use to have a shirt that said "Where's the Beef?". How cool was I. I also had a shirt of Olivia Newton John's (not sure on that last name) "Let's get physical". Ahhh...Xanadu!

billfremore
07-23-2002, 11:32 AM
Why did we think that Xanadu was such a cool movie?

Does anybody know what old Olivia's up to these days?

Jonna
07-23-2002, 11:33 AM
I heard she had cancer, but it was curable.

billfremore
07-23-2002, 11:54 AM
Well that's the best kind to have.

DARTH DUBIOUS
07-23-2002, 02:33 PM
Last I saw of Olivia Neutron bomb was when she did the opening ceremony of the Sydney Olympics or was it the closing...? Anyway, she's still singing and still recording and soldiering on.

But let's face it, wouldn't you get physical with her if Olivia asked nicely?

anarky
07-23-2002, 02:34 PM
that reminds me--did any of you who heard "the loco-motion" or saw the street fighter movie expect to hear kylie minogue come back from the dead in 2002?

DARTH DUBIOUS
07-23-2002, 02:43 PM
Kylie never died. She lost a battle but regrouped and came back with better weapons. I reckon She's winning the war right now :)

Jango Jett
07-23-2002, 04:05 PM
back in the 1980's in San Francisco along Market st. I always use
to see groups of Hari Krishna's chanting "Hari Krishna", "Hari Hari", "Hari Krishna" !! they dressed in orange robes and shaved
their heads like a Buddist monk, they use to ask for donations,
some of them were just childeren. I dont see many Hari Krishnas
on the streets these days ? :cool:

DARTH DUBIOUS
07-23-2002, 04:11 PM
You missed out the "Krishna Krishna" part. ;)

mabudonicus
07-24-2002, 03:35 PM
Freemore- I remember those HERB commercials, wasn't he like a real plain everyman kinda guy?? What about BLACKSTAR?? I've got the "movie" on tape, for a show so rudimentary, I thought some of the designs were pretty darn cool!!

billfremore
07-24-2002, 03:47 PM
Yup, Herb was the normal looking everyday joe and according to the campaign, the only man who had never eaten a Whopper™

Wasn't Blackstar a Saturday morning cartoon?
Makes me think of Thundarr the Barbarian!

Jonna
07-30-2002, 04:20 PM
When was the whole Avoid the Noid (pizza) advertisments going on? Was it Dominoes?

El Chuxter
07-30-2002, 05:05 PM
It was around 85 or somewhere thereabouts. It was Dominos, and I think they shot themselves in the foot with it when they started celebrating the Noid. When the campaign is "Avoid the Noid," it doesn't make sense to paint life-sized Noids on new restaurants.

Then again, maybe Rick McCallum was in charge of marketing for them at that time. :crazed:

billfremore
07-30-2002, 10:59 PM
Maybe Rick was the marketing genius behind new Coke...

mabudonicus
08-01-2002, 11:09 AM
Thundarr??Yeah, saturday morning, all the way- Blackstarr had that cool evil lookin horse with wings, and "trobbits" little people who aren't protected by copyright:)...... I have that AND Thundarr on tape, they rule... I'll bring you a piece of the 80s when I come out that way, Freemore:)!! What was that "golden guy" one called, it was hanna barbera, and it was REAL bad. What about "Jason of Star Command" the live action one with the Borg like enemies?? That was pretty cool!!
Thundarr was cooler, animation-wise though.
Yeah, EC, "avoid this building", go figure....
man, there's something else 80s in my head, it's just not coming up right now... I'll be back!!

vulcantouch
08-01-2002, 11:15 AM
-i was the opposite; i found them oppressive & trendoid-shallow at the time, but as per the time-delay phenom detailed in sontag's Notes on Camp essay, around '87 i started diggin on em nostalgically :)

tunes:
abc
bow wow wow
depeche
duran
english beat
bryan ferry
robert gorl
heaven 17
new order
smiths
missing persons' Spring Session M
propoganda's Secret Wish
ministry's With Sympathy
grace jones' Slave To The Rhythm
jean-luc ponty (the 80s are when he did his best stuff)

flix:
indy
koyaanis/powaqqatsi
mishima
midnight run

tube:
letterman
alive from off center

vidgames:
gravitar
reactor
tempest
space duel
asteroids deluxe

80s-style androgynous babes & their fashions:
mariel hemingway
ally sheedy
esprit
jami gertz
erika eleniak
ciao
linda evangelista
princess stephanie & her absurd search for an identity (or a clue :p )

print:
u.s. releases of moebius graphic novels :)
vt

billfremore
08-01-2002, 11:20 AM
The big golden guy was called Ookla the Mok.

Jonna
08-01-2002, 11:37 AM
The movie "Real Genius". Val rocked! Weeeeeeeeee!

billfremore
08-01-2002, 11:38 AM
Can you hammer a six inch spike through a board? :D

mabudonicus
08-02-2002, 11:04 AM
What about those monogrammed pink shirts guys had to wear to be "cool" in the 80s?? I was glad when that blew over. How about "ocean Pacific", those goofy shirts that were the Hilfiger of the mid 80s. Or "far west" jackets, member those? Terrible!!!
And for RUSH fans, the 80s went right down the toilet in about 85, it was kinda sad.
Waitaminute- what about the "travelling wilburys"?? What the heck was that all about???

El Chuxter
08-02-2002, 11:24 AM
Dude, don't knock the Wilburys! Okay, so their CDs weren't quite up to the standards of their solo work. Except for Jeff Lynne. What'd he have to do to get in that group?

billfremore
08-02-2002, 11:26 AM
They had to get somebody with curly hair to set up the perfect collection of hair styles and looks for the group :D

Some of their stuff was good, I just can't believe they made 3 albums.
By the third album it had all gone down the crapper.

mabudonicus
08-02-2002, 11:35 AM
Sorry Chux, I was only basing my musing on ONE album. Guess I'll have to "handle them with care":). Gotta say though, that during the decline of the NWOBHM, the wilburies just seemed kinda like they were exactly what they supposedly weren't, if ya follow, I can't really listen to anything thath "easy" anymore, unless it's jazz.....
What about "when we was fab"?? There was a bit too much irony in that opus, IMO (by the by, RIP George Harrison)

El Chuxter
08-02-2002, 11:43 AM
They actually only made two albums. The second was called Volume 3 as a sort of joke. I never got that one, and it--like most of George Harrison's stuff--went out of print and now sells for big bucks on e-bay.

The album I have is pretty good, but you can listen to it and easily say, "Okay, Tom wrote this one, and this one's Bob's, and this is definitely George's work. . . ."

And by the way, the graffiti artists in the 60s were wrong. Tom Petty is God, not Eric Clapton. :p

billfremore
08-02-2002, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
And by the way, the graffiti artists in the 60s were wrong. Tom Petty is God, not Eric Clapton. :p

Actually I always thought it was "Eric Clapton is God, Tom Petty is ugly"

I didn't know that thing about the album name. It still didn't make songs like "The Wilbury Twist" any better though.

El Chuxter
08-02-2002, 12:04 PM
This is off the subject, but remember Sheryl Crow's video for "My Favorite Mistake"? The one where she looks like Tom Petty? :eek:

I think Traveling Wilburys was where they got together, smoked too much happy plant and drank too much juri juice, and recorded what they thought was good stuff to their inebriated ears. Then they went off on their own again and did more cool stuff. Except for Jeff Lynne, who tried again and again to resurrect ELO and finally ended up drunk, facedown in a gutter with Dave Faustino and Jonathan Ritter.

billfremore
08-02-2002, 12:07 PM
I think I saw Jeff Lynne begging for change outside my office today :D ;)

bigbarada
08-02-2002, 11:33 PM
Well, in case anyone if feeling really nostalgic for the Golden Era of Saturday Morning Cartoons, go to www.80scartoons.net

It's where I rediscovered my favorite cartoon as a kid (I could never remember the name after it was forcibly cancelled because Tonka sued for copyright infringement). It was......**drumroll**.......The Mighty Orbots!!

mabudonicus
08-03-2002, 08:20 AM
Yeah, I remember them.... bad designs, though, I guess tonka had no worries, as stuff that crummy made the go-bots look okay... Hey, BB, are you still here?? If so , GREAT!!
What was the show where the main character (some kid) transformed into a trans-am?? Was that orbots, I can't recall, it was crap whatever it was.....
Remember "TOBOR", the remote controlled robot that had that robot briefcase thingy?? He was alright. Just a toy, though, they never made a show or anything.

plasticfetish
08-03-2002, 06:23 PM
The 80's ... so much awful and so much good ...
The decade where I became a teen and ended up an adult.
I'd forgotten about most of it until I read through these posts.

I will say this ... my first live concert was The Thompson Twins with A flock of Seagulls as opening act at the Oakland Coliseum.

I did at one point own a pink and a turquoise Lacoste shirt.
Checkered slip on Vans.

I used to be a computer TA in high school teaching other kids how to program BASIC on Commodore computers. (GOSUB, GOTO, RUN) I still own my Atari 800 computer from back then.

"Splatter films."

"Skateboarding is not a crime."
My first board was a huge "Santa Cruz" board with Felix the Cat on it. It was run over by an El Camino and broken.

Nightrider
ALF
The A-team.
(Besides those and a few others, I really hate '80s television.)

Worked at Benetton.

Punk - Dead Kennedys (started in the '70s but fed my terrible terrible teen sarcasm in the '80s.)
New Wave - Gary Numan, Thomas Dolby, A Flock of Seagulls. (I suppose I was always more "New Wave" than Punk.)
Ska/Two Tone - Bad Manners, The Specials ... (ooh, "No Doubt" as the opening act for every big band that came to town.)
Rap - "Old school" and "New School" (Grand Master Flash and the Furious Five, Sugarhill Gang, Kurtis Blow, Run DMC, Rob Base & D.J. E-Z Rock, Whodini, Public Enemy, Eric B. & Rakim.)

The "Mod" Scene and my first Vespa scooter ... a black and white P200E ... later sold and hit by a truck. Replaced by a chrome and white 1964 Lambretta (mmmm ... my baby.)
On a "Mod" note ... I developed my knowledge of and love for 60's Soul, R&B and early Jamaican Ska and Rocksteady in the '80s.

Met my (then girlfriend, now) wife in the late '80s ... we "escaped" into the '90s together.

Jonna
08-09-2002, 02:06 PM
Anyone remember M.U.S.C.L.E
(Millions of Unusual Small Creatures Lurking Everywhere)

El Chuxter
08-09-2002, 02:28 PM
Barely. . . . remember Battle Beasts?

"Battle Beasts, collect every one of these incredible creatures you battle for fun!
I've got fire! I've got water! Water beats fire!"

Jonna
08-09-2002, 02:29 PM
I loved those things. Wish I still had them.

Darth Shifty
08-09-2002, 05:29 PM
Anyone remember M.U.S.C.L.E
(Millions of Unusual Small Creatures Lurking Everywhere)

Man, I completely forgot about M.U.S.C.L.E's and I had, well, millions of those things. My parents would get so ****ed at me, "Why do you have so many of these damn things and why are they EVERYWHERE?!?"

Exhaust Port
08-10-2002, 12:47 AM
Somewhere I still have a paper grocery bag filled with tons of MUSCLE's. I have no idea what I saw in those things all these years later.

How about Stompers?

QLD
08-10-2002, 11:52 AM
At least I don't have to look at Teddy Ruxpin, My Buddy, and M.A.S.K commercials anymore.