PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with the extremely poor quality deluxe line?

Lt Kettch
07-18-2002, 07:50 AM
Anyone else notice, aside from the Nexu, how much the deluxe figures suck?

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
07-18-2002, 08:37 AM
I think the force flipping figures are pretty bad.

Jargo
07-18-2002, 09:26 AM
Hasbro says it's for the kids not the collectors. So they feel that because OBVIOUSLY kids have no idea of what constitutes value for money and will be happy with substandard product they can get away with packaging shoddy goods as kids toys. Why they feel kids aren't as discerning as adults when it comes to toys I have no idea. Isn't the world of toys a kids realm? Surely kids are more discerning than adults? I know I was when I was a kid. If i was a kid now I'd be pretty piszed that Hasbro were stiffing me. I'd want the same attention to detail and quality that the product intended for the collectors has. I'd want less gimmicks and more articulation. I'd be pretty unhappy with the Anakin deluxe set that's for certain. The force flipping sets don't work and no matter what Hasbro spin says about skill and practice makes perfect the product is crap quality and the figures stink to high heaven.
So far the Nexu is the only deluxe pack to come anywere near the quality of the POTJ deluxe packs. I'd say hasbro really needs to go and relook at what it is they're selling. If I owned the company I'd be outraged that something as poor as the force flipping sets had the company name attached to them. Awful products. Things like that harm the line and put kids off. Hasbro wants to attract a new generation of collectors they better do something better than they have so far.

Darth Trymybestus
07-18-2002, 11:30 AM
oh come on, they deluxe aren't ALL bad... Darth Tyranus is an AWESOME sculpt! He's a better sculpt than Count Dooku - Dark Lord.
The only bad things are the magnets on the feet, lack of a cape and the lightsaber being stuck to his hand permanently.
But I just display my figures and he looks damn cool.
Deluxe Anakin is ok but I hate soft goods and soft plastic, Hangar Duel is the best Anakin yet.

Herby
07-18-2002, 11:51 AM
I think the Deluxe line is getting better with the Nexu, Yoda and 3PO. The flipping figures just weren't my thing (and certainly not worth the $$). I wonder why Hasbro didn't lower their prices by a buck or so when the regular figure prices dropped?

Deluxe Anakin is nice if it wasn't for the vinyl vest... the hacked up alien is certainly pretty cool (and something many of us never would have expected to get made, it's so gruesome!)

If they could just drop them down to about 8 bucks, I think I'd have more than just the Nexu and Mace.

brentfett
07-18-2002, 11:55 AM
Yeah, the Deluxe figures do suck, except for Nexu, which is inexplicably awesome. I'm dying to see how the new Deluxe C3-PO is. They only reason the Deluxe Dooku is better than the non-deluxe version is because that figure REALLY stinks! Dooku must be the most needed AOTC re-sculpt. It's pretty bad that we need a re-sculpt only a few months after the originals came out!:rolleyes:

LTBasker
07-18-2002, 11:58 AM
I like Deluxe Mace more than Mace with a hernia. :D

The force flipping figures are great for one thing - Refridgerator dueling!

Chiesa
07-18-2002, 03:51 PM
Basically I too think that the deluxe flipping figures especially are just bad and are just made just for sales purposes... I'm sure there would be collectors or kids who would still buy them... SIGH!!

jdmarlow
07-18-2002, 03:58 PM
I know the deluxes aren't the greatest. But none of the deluxe lines since '95 have ever flown off the shelves. I still think the Yoda deluxe will be awesome.

Chiesa
07-18-2002, 04:16 PM
I think you are spot on on that!! The Yoda w force deluxe looks pretty nifty!! But I must say the yoda looks slightly smaller than the non-deluxe Yoda... I only saw the deluxe set... yet to buy it yet!

:p

Lt Kettch
07-18-2002, 08:39 PM
the one i worry most about is Deluxe 3PO... am i the only one thinking that this will definitely not be able to stay put together?

sith_killer_99
07-19-2002, 07:24 AM
jdmarlow, I can't say I remember Deluxe Boba Fett EVER warming pegs for more than a day.:eek:

But you are correct, Hasbro is BAD at making Deluxe figures. The new Wal-Mart (Cantina sets) and Target (Accessory sets) look promising. I would pretty much consider these to be Deluxe figures. And the best attempt at a deluxe line Hasbro has made.

FINALLY, Hasbro has decided to re-release DS Trooper. Now if we could only get a few more Ree-Yees!;)

kdp100
07-24-2002, 11:13 AM
Was lucky enough to pick up "preview samples" of the deluxe 3PO and Yoda yesterday when I visited R2DToys.com's London shop:

3PO seems to stay together pretty well overall, although his legs do come loose a little too easily. (Mind you, the vintage take-apart version I used to have was far worse.)
He's a little shorter than most of the other protocol droids in the various Hasbro lines (with the possible exception of the Ep1 skeletal 3PO release), but I think he's a vast improvement on the earlier Saga figure.
The battle-droid stays together pretty well, too, with the exception of its backpack which does tend to come off a little too easily (although it fits 3PO's back too, and has a socket to store the droid's blaster).
Both figures fit all each other's limbs well enough, and they both have exposed magnets in the tops of their heads to allow the crane to swap them over (you need to loosen the heads from their 'locked-in' positions first), but since both figures are droids these magnets don't look too incongruous.
The gun that comes with this set is a little flimsy, but no more so than that of the Saga battle-droid.

Not sure about the size of Yoda compared to the non-deluxe Saga version, but he's a good bit smaller than the Ep1 version.
The Super-Battle-Droid has limited poseability, but its stance is fairly neutral anyway.

UPDATE -
Just checked the height of the Yodas and the deluxe version is *slightly* shorter than the basic Saga figure - less than 1mm in it though.

The pack-in backgrounds for both these sets look OK, but I'm not too keen on the magnetic base that comes with Yoda - the action-features that are built into this appear a little too fiddly.

Master Goeweins
07-24-2002, 03:17 PM
So far only the Nexu and Mace are any good in this line. I hate Anakin's face. His eyes make him look like an enraged muppet.
I am looking forward to C3PO, but am not holding my breath.

tagmac
07-24-2002, 08:19 PM
Although it's considered a "Deluxe Figure," I tend to think of the Nexu as another beast (and a quality piece at that). I've always thought of the real deluxe figs as being characters with added accessories. Honestly, I can honestly say the best of these has always been the Snowtrooper w/ cannon and Hoth Rebel Soldier with Radar Cannon. Mace Windu was ok (only cuz the regular figure stunk) and Jango was decent, but overall these were terrible. And Anakin - what a waste....the "chopping feature" only works if you don't snap the Geonosian together - course then it won't stand up in one piece. Poor job by Hasbro.