PDA

View Full Version : should i convert to a strickly loose collector?

hango fett
07-18-2002, 10:00 AM
i have been wanting to do this for some time, but i am afraid my dad won't want to collect loose after the mistake we made when we opened all the red card figures....should i?

Jedi Juice
07-18-2002, 10:08 AM
Hey, if you like displaying your figures and making different scenes, then I say go for it. Besides, if you can afford it, only buy extras of the figures that you really like, just to keep carded. But it's your choice.

Rogue II
07-18-2002, 10:15 AM
I open almost all of my figures. Once in a while, I will buy 2 and open 1. I don't think many of these figures will be worth much money. Look at the value of the Episode 1 figures. If I heard correctly, the Saga line has higher production numbers than Episode 1. The average figure in this line won't be a very good investment.

I'm waiting for the figures to go on clearance so I can pick up to use for customs. I plan on getting Jango Fett and turning him into an artuculated Boba Fett from ROTJ.

billfremore
07-18-2002, 10:17 AM
I open all of mine.
I will admit they do look very pretty carded but c'mon,
How can you appreciate how cool these things are unless you open them and try them out?

Jonna
07-18-2002, 10:19 AM
"Try them out"? What sick thing are you doing to the figures, Bill?

billfremore
07-18-2002, 10:20 AM
Just never you mind...:D

hango fett
07-18-2002, 10:57 AM
i already have a farily good collection of varded and non-carded for me. i get them to open them. meaning that we first get them carded and then i get them loose......i only need 2 more jedi in the original 40 to complete my arena. that is nikto and sassee tiin. i'm getting them next week.

brentfett
07-18-2002, 11:02 AM
I open probably 90% of my figures. Just look how worthless even the early POTF2 orange cards are! Such a tiny amount of figures are actually rare enough to warrant keeping them carded. The rest will only be worth more in time just for the plain fact that they are old, like in at least twenty years or so.

Jonna
07-18-2002, 11:04 AM
In all seriousness, do whatever you like. If you like the look of them carded, then keep them carded. Loose, then loose. I do both.

aceguide
07-18-2002, 11:22 AM
Open them all.

If you spend all your time wondering if this will be the next $50 figure on e-bay then you aren't having any fun with the hobby - it has become a business... A nasty one at that.

DeadEye
07-18-2002, 11:24 AM
Now that I look at my collection, all my Star Wars toys, figures, vehicles, and otherwise, are loose. Probably because recently my dog mauled those that were mint-in-package, so I had no choice but to open them before she got to the toy within. :D

Lt Kettch
07-18-2002, 11:29 AM
i think being a loose collector is alot more fun
i mean if you leave them carded, you just move them
from walmarts shelf, to a shelf of your own
its more satisfying when you find something in the store
and then liberate it from its carded prison and tinker with all
the aspects of the figure and see how cool it really is. loose,
really is the way to go.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
07-18-2002, 11:46 AM
Open the ones you really want opened.

Herby
07-18-2002, 11:47 AM
I open everything...well almost everything. My theater Luke is carded, and my 300th Boba is in his box (he comes out once and awhile, but is "home" is his packaging!) I love opening them, it's my favorite part of collecting. You really appreciate the sculpt more when you can hold it in your hands. How else can Mace knock Jango's head off?

thespar
07-18-2002, 12:21 PM
open them keep them card after all it is your money.

Chiesa
07-18-2002, 04:10 PM
Well firstly you must ask yourself a few questions I guess... Are you collecting for personal interest and for the love of star wars or are you there just to resell the toy when the value rises... Personally I would think that the value of these won't really rise that much unless maybe 20-30 yrs down the road... I would just rip them up and put it in my glass cupboard!! They just look SOOOO cool under the spotlight!!

One last point... I feel the cards take up lots of space!! hahaha but thats just me!!

Just make a decision and don't regret it!! thats the most important!! ;)

jonboy
07-18-2002, 09:10 PM
Open them all. The real value of these things is the enjoyment that you get from them, not what they will be worth some day. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking people who keep them carded. One of my good friends keeps a large collection of carded stuff. He buys every fig to hang on his wall, and only buys what he feels is cool to open and mess with. That is a good way to go if you have the cash. Personally, I am an opener.

Jedi Juice
07-18-2002, 11:29 PM
Collect for the fun of the hobby, not to make a quick buck.

Darth Narcis
07-19-2002, 12:25 AM
i have opened 1 figure, ever. the figure sucked and i decided not to open any more for now.

Jedi_Bates
07-19-2002, 12:45 AM
Personaly i just like to display the figures around in my room and i think they look alot neater in there bubble, but i do own a couple of loose figures and it does have advantages to opening them up, but knowing me, if i open them up, i will lose all the pieces, which is why i stick to leaving everything i purchase in the box

figrin bran
07-19-2002, 02:39 AM
i love to open them up so naturally i would recommend that. though i will often buy extras to keep carded if i really like that particular figure.

Rogue II
07-19-2002, 08:33 AM
Anyone else notice how there isn't any die-hard carded collectors commenting in this thread? They are probably hoping everyone else open all of the figures so thier carded collections becomes just that much more rare.

mrmiller
07-19-2002, 09:13 AM
Well Rouge, I'd consider myself a Die Hard and I open most all of my figures. I don't understand Die Hard Carded collectors- if you're a die hard, why does a C10 card make a difference (explained later in post)?

If you like them displayed carded keep them carded, but if you like them loose, open them. I perfer to open all mine and display them loose. The only ones I don't open are my many variants, as I don't see the point (but I must get them as I'm a junkie). Think of it this way- are you collecting for yourself? If so, are you ever going to get rid of them? I doubt I'll ever get rid of them unless I pass them down to my grandkids or great grandchildren (an appoligy to my kid and future children, as I'll still be into it too much to part with them that soon). Since I plan on basically keeping these forever, I collect and display as I like- loose. That's why I don't understand C10 card obsession- what's it matter to you if you're never going to part with them as a collector. Or are you hoping for future value, and thus not a "collector" but "investor"?

Really the only response to the question is- "If you are a true collector, do what you like."

=MATT=

Captain Trips
07-19-2002, 09:58 AM
I agree with Chiesa...it all depends on what you want to get out of collecting.

If you're in it for the money though, you may want to consider another endeavor. Even now, almost twenty years after they went away, a complete set of carded vintage figures wouldn't fetch what I would call a fortune, and I doubt very seriously that carded figures from any of the lines released since 1995 would be as scarce as those vintage figures. People just didn't have that same mentality in the 70's and 80's where they would keep carded examples just to make a few extra bucks on them a few years down the road.

Now I'm not out to question anybody's motives, you spend the money, you're entitled to do whatever you wish. The beauty of the hobby and the community is that there are so many people that each do their own thing. That's cool. I just think that there are better long-term investments.

Personally, when I get my figures I subscribe to the "Grip it and rip it" philosophy.

The True Maul
07-19-2002, 10:05 AM
I opened all of mine and now i'm starting to leave them in the package I get 2 most of the time!! :)

Rogue II
07-19-2002, 10:58 AM
Funny thing. Last night I was chanel surfing and stopped on Comedy Central. Beet the Geeks was on. The Guest Geek was some sort of toy collector. His big quote was "OPEN YOUR TOYS" and highly encouraged playing with them.

Here are some benefits of opening your figures:
Diorama building
Customizing
Accessory swapping*
Sniffing (see mouse droid thread in the POTJ section) :D

*sometimes it is necessary to re-allocate your accessories. For example:
-One of the POTJ Leias had an extra blaster. IG-88 was missing a blaster. Poof! IG-88 is now fully armed.
-Besping Guard came with a gun and night stick. The carbon Freeze chamber bespin guard had none. Poof! 2 armed guards.

I move too often to keep them carded. I think I have 20 or so carded figures, but I have each of those figures loose. I have been thinking about opening some of them for army builders or customs.

Lman316
07-19-2002, 11:13 AM
I open mine...everything I buy, I open. So, I'll only buy what I open :p.

But that's not the question. The question is whether, you, Hango Fett should become strictly a loose collector...
Well, as most have been saying, that's up to you. If you like having them carded, keep them carded. If you like having them all open and playing with them or displaying them, then open everything. If you like a few carded and a few open, do that.
But don't keep them carded if you (or your dad - who are you collecting for, anyway? Him or you? :p) think there might be money in it. The POTF2 figures are not worth much now. There was maybe a small window when the Red Carded Greedo, Momaw Nadon, Death Star Gunner, and those were worth something, but they quickly went down. You can pick those up relatively cheap (I have seen it) on Ebay. So, don't go in with the mentality that you might want to sell these. These are toys, they're meant to be enjoyed. Whether through playing or through looking at them through their tiny plastic prisons :D.

End...

billfremore
07-19-2002, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Rogue II

Accessory swapping*

*sometimes it is necessary to re-allocate your accessories. For example:
-One of the POTJ Leias had an extra blaster. IG-88 was missing a blaster. Poof! IG-88 is now fully armed.
-Besping Guard came with a gun and night stick. The carbon Freeze chamber bespin guard had none. Poof! 2 armed guards.

Excellent suggestions RogueII!
There should almost be a thread for this topic if there already isn't.

Rogue II
07-19-2002, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by billfremore

Excellent suggestions RogueII!
There should almost be a thread for this topic if there already isn't.

I think its in the Custom/Diorama section. There were some other really good suggestions.

starwars92590
07-19-2002, 12:24 PM
Open the basic figures and keep in the packages like Boba Fett 300, and the 25th Anniversery figures, and if you have Orange card figures still in the box, keep in box, anything else, open.

Rogue II
07-19-2002, 02:14 PM
I forgot about those. I love opening my figures, but the packaging for the 25th Anniversary and 300th Boba Fett are so nice, I didn't open them (well, they are pre posed statues)

That's a pretty good summary, starwars92590.

Jargo
07-19-2002, 03:01 PM
Rip them out - all of them...... :evil:

Chiesa
07-19-2002, 04:01 PM
Rip Rip Rip Rip Rip!!! :) Personally I think they look 1000000 times better when they are all standing together!!

187-Maul
07-19-2002, 05:34 PM
rip them out of their plastic prison!!!
they are way more fun loose and you can self decide in what pose you want to put them

Jargo
07-19-2002, 05:55 PM
Hasbro UK stated somewhat eroneously that most collectors are more likey to keep their collections carded. However, British collector site 'The Private Universe' ran a poll to see who does what. And this is what they came up with despite a poor polling count:

What do you do with your Star Wars toys?
1.) I open them all. votes = 29. percent = 32
2.) I keep them all boxed/carded. votes = 19. percent = 21
3.) I open most of them, but keep a few boxed/carded. votes = 17. percent = 18
4.) I keep most of them boxed/carded, but open a few. votes = 16. percent = 17
5.) I have two of everything, one to open one to keep. votes = 11. percent = 12

Hasbro also had this to say about collector's which shows how the demographic is just not ringing true and that this may herald a new era of non kid toys if they actually stop scratching their butts all day and listen to what the research tells them.

Who Are You?
06 Jun 2002
HasbroJedi.co.uk thought you might be interested to know who you are! You may recognise yourself from the stats below.

For starters you are a very Male bunch. 95% of the thousands who have registered are Male with just 5% of the members being Female.

In terms of age, again there is strong bias towards one age group. Almost 70% of you are in the 25 - 34 age group. Not surprising, as the youngest of this group were born the same year Star Wars: A New Hope was released and the oldest of this group were at the perfect age to enjoy the movie when it was first released. You could say that you are the Star Wars Generation.

We do have younger fans too with 23% falling into the 24 and under category.

Who ever you, you are all most welcome!
I wish I could find the quote where they say that collectors are more likely to keep stuff carded but I lost it last week somehow. If anyone has a link to the article that states that post it here.

But I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that carded collectors are now a minority. We all know that the collection isn't going to net us any huge fortune and the long term value of the toys is basically nothing. so open them up and enjoy them for waht they are and how they were designed to be used. let the kid inside see the light of day for a while. Scientists say that people who play with toys live longer and are less likely to suffer heart attack or stroke. Play reduce strss levels and increases natural seratonin in the brain. Which is natures happy drug. So go rip some figures from their prisons. :D

Rogue II
07-19-2002, 06:18 PM
So all of the complaining about artucilation, gimmicks, and accessories comes from this "Small Percentage" of us that open our figures?