PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever been seriously injured?

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
07-18-2002, 11:30 AM
I'm taking about severe wounds, broken bones, stitches, etc.

When I was 6, I got stitches on my forehead after being cut by a table corner in FAO Shwarz.

Two years ago I had a slight fracture in my left ankle after twisting it during track practice.

What kind of injuries have you experienced?

Jonna
07-18-2002, 11:32 AM
Oh man, I can see this becoming a really weird thread!

I was decapitated then I was but a wee lad, but they sew it back on.

billfremore
07-18-2002, 11:34 AM
So how do you know they sewed the right head back onto your body?
Hmmm?

Fortunately for me I've never broken a thing.

QLD
07-18-2002, 11:36 AM
I got knocked off a bench and when I hit the ground, the impact made me bite right through my bottom lip. I was 5. I had to have some neato stitches for that.

Playing football, I have cracked my kneecap andcrushed my patella ligament.

I also got pnemonia from having a peanut inhaled into my lung, which caused me to have a collapsed lung, hallucinate, and almost die, and be in the hospital for over a month.

Other than that, everything has been great!

billfremore
07-18-2002, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
I also got pnemonia from having a peanut inhaled into my lung, which caused me to have a collapsed lung, hallucinate, and almost die, and be in the hospital for over a month.

Wow!
Who knew that peanuts were so damn dangerous.

They should put warning labels on the packaging.

Were they really cool hallucinations QLD?
I miss the ones I used to get.
Damn new medication ;)

Vortex
07-18-2002, 11:40 AM
List O Damage -

Dislocated Shoulder - Shoved into a hockey net.

Broken Nose - Tripped durning a hockey game, fell flat on my face

Various finger ligament damage - from jamming, getting them and getting bent back

Tore 3 of the 4 (or is it 5?) Tendons in my right ankle. I've done this 3 times due to soccer injuries. Ugly injury, ankle swells up the size of a soft ball, had to have it tapped to take some pressure off.

Tore 2 tendons in my left ankle - soccer injury

Various chipped back molars from hits in hockey.

3 Concussions - a bit fuzzy how I got them...

Broken wrist - got slashed during a pick up game of boot hockey

5 various broken toes - and yes to gross people out I lost the nail!!!

But oddly no stitches...

DeadEye
07-18-2002, 11:41 AM
Once a 400-pound raft fell and sort of caromed off my head, placing a goosebump on my forehead the size of Montana. :frus:
My dog is a damn biter. She gnawed on my arms in February and the wounds have yet to heal. :mad:
No broken bones, though. :p

Jonna
07-18-2002, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by DeadEye

My dog is a damn biter. She gnawed on my arms in February and the wounds have yet to heal. :mad:
No broken bones, though. :p

Time to get a gold fish!

billfremore
07-18-2002, 11:45 AM
Either that or stop using A-1 as sunscreen.

Vortex
07-18-2002, 11:47 AM
Ahhhhh....A-1....must have steak...

DeadEye
07-18-2002, 11:49 AM
A1 is the ultimate steak sauce! I prefer the Bold-and-Spicy flavor. :)

QLD
07-18-2002, 11:50 AM
Well, the peanut thing happened when someone made me laugh when I was eating them. Apparantly I inhaled two. One I coughed out shortly thereafter, but apparantly one remained behind.

The hallucinations were not cool. Mostly me not being able to tell if my eyes were closed or open. Seeing people walk in the room that weren't really there. That kind of thing. I didn't enjoy it.

And yes, I am very careful when I eat peanuts now! :D

DeadEye
07-18-2002, 11:51 AM
I don't even like peanuts, so I guess I'm safe.
I think I eat too much pizza--I eat pizza for lunch and sometimes dinner too, basically every day. It leads to stomach pains, a burned pallet, and the occasional ulcer in my mouth. :D

stormie
07-18-2002, 11:52 AM
A broken hip while ice skating, leading to surgery and a permanent rod and plate in my leg....making me almost bionic. :D

...I don't ice skate anymore.

...And no, I'm no geriatric!

Jonna
07-18-2002, 11:57 AM
Seriously, I had Lyme disease (Rocky Mountian Fever, I think the type was) twice and the first time I was running something like a 103/104 fever for about 6 or 7 hours strait. That should explain part of why my brain is semi-melted. I was also getting really bad hallucinations with it. I was like 13 and no one was home. I did not even have enough mental clarity at the time to use the phone.

I was basically just laying in a cool bath waiting to die. I really thought that it was the end of me.

Pendo
07-18-2002, 11:57 AM
Broken Rib from a car crash, and broken ancle from...well, erm...falling down the stairs :crazed:.

PENDO!

mabudonicus
07-18-2002, 12:07 PM
Hmmm- LOTS of stitches from going through a plate glass window(both wrists and arms torn to shreds), Kicked in the face with a skate destroying my teeth, Cut my right Palmer Arch (in yer hand) when I got impaled on a bottle(stuck right through my PALM an inch and a half or so) LOTS of serious sprains (bicycle related, mostly) and the king of them all, I was wearing thick work socks, and taking a GALLON of boiling water off the stove when the handle broke off (this was maybe 3 years ago). The water filled the socks, I fell on the ground writhing in agony, when I got the idea to pull the sock off, the skin came with it. It hurt so much I actually screamed until I went hoarse. #rd and 2nd degree burns over the whole thing. Fun wow!!

Jango Jett
07-18-2002, 12:08 PM
I was wounded by a grenade back in 1983 when I was a US Army
RANGER with the 75th Infantry Rangers , in Operation "Urgent
Fury" on the island of Grenada and I was also attacked by a
Doberman Pincher back in 94" he tore a large hole in my lower
leg, I cleaned it up and gave myself my own stitches, but the
next day I went to the urgent care clinic and they gave me some
anti biotics and cleaned it up some more and put antiseptic on it, and also got a tetanus shot, I never found out if the dog had rabies shots ? it took about a month to heal because of the large
wound and new scar tissue :Pirate:

DeadEye
07-18-2002, 12:17 PM
Rangers lead the way! We finally have a new military nut! Welcome! :D Jango Jett, you can join Bigbarada and I in our heated discussions on weapons and warfare. :)
I forgot to mention I once had a fever of 109, I think I was 14 or 15. The doctors thought I would die! :eek:

bigbarada
07-18-2002, 12:29 PM
Hey, Jango Jett! Nice to see another former(?) military man here.:cool:

Well, as a kid I was jumping up and down off of the coffee table holding a sharpened pencil in my hand (very smart kid I was :rolleyes: ) and, of course, I fell and jammed the pencil into the tiny space between my eyes. A half inch to the left or right and I would have lost an eye. Anyways, I'm five years old when this happens and my dad was on the phone, and I'm just sitting there with a pencil hanging out of my forehead, blood flowing into my mouth and I remember very specifically my dad telling his friend, Larry, over the phone, "I've gotta go, Nathan just stuck a pencil in his eye." I think it was the very calm and matter-of-fact way he said it that just struck me as odd at the time. Anyway I was rushed to the hospital and the wound was bandaged up, I was given a shot to prevent lead poisoning and that was that.

I've got more stories I'll relate later.:)

Darth Nihilus
07-18-2002, 12:33 PM
I can't recall the circumstance of the most serious injury I have. I only know what happened from accounts given by friends and family who were there. It happened one night as we were driving around town. I was sitting in the rear with the window down as we headed down a highway when from behind a bush on the side of the road someone threw a rock at the car. It flew through the rear window catching me full on the cheek. It tore a gash about an inch under my right eye, fracturing and depressing the cheekbone in the process. I have no recollection of up to an hour before the incident and the only thing I can recall afterwards was holding my friend's shirt to the wound.

Other than that: Broken collarbone (playing Rugby League), severed tendons in my right hand (from a broken glass) and numerous torn ankle ligaments.

mabudonicus
07-18-2002, 12:35 PM
Holy Cow, Nihilus!! I really don't get that brand of "fun", it irks me to hear stories like that. Did you ever figure out who was responsible??

Darth Nihilus
07-18-2002, 12:45 PM
No, we never found out who did it. All we knew is that there were a group of Indigenous men responsible (My mother who was driving and the friend who donated his shirt saw them by the road) and it happened near an Aboriginal reserve. There was no way we were ever going to get a positive ID.

It sounds bad, and it is, but it doesn't bother me 'cause I can't recall the thing at all so it's not like I really suffered. Plus it left me with an interesting scar. It's also got a cousin from the surgery involved in repairing my cheek, an incision made in the side of my head from where they inserted a rod to pop the cheekbone back out.

Jacen Solo
07-18-2002, 02:26 PM
I've dislocated my shoulder twice, fractured my collarbone, had 14 stiches in my finger, had stiches in another finger after nearlly slicing off the top of it, and I had a piece of metal in my eye (its gone now, but I still see a little funny ) :crazed:

icatch9
07-18-2002, 03:03 PM
When I was 15 I hyper extended my right knee playing baseball. I ran into another player at a dead sprint, but I caught the ball.

Then while playing baseball in college I took a ball right off the mouth. I was catching and a the left fielder threw it home in an attempt to get a runner. The throw was dead on, but a little short. It hit about 5 feet in front of me. As the catcher is was my job to block the ball so the runner on second didn't go to third. I did block it I guess, with my teeth. The ball hit a rock or something and bounced straight up to my face. It didn't knock me out, but I sure wasn't able to get up for a minute. Knocked me out of play for a week or so. I couldn't put a mask on becasue of my swelling. I couldn't even open my mouth enough to eat. Ever eaten a Wopper with a knife and fork? I have. That sucks.

InsaneJediGirl
07-18-2002, 07:35 PM
My most serious injury happened when my friends mutt bit me when I was 7 or 8.I came out of his room from playing a video game,started walking towards their front door,and WHAM dog jumped on me and took a huge hunk out of my left leg and left arm.Next thing I knew, I was in my Grandmas car going to the hosptial(30 minutes away).

The other injury also happened when I was 8 or 9.The same friend threw a curve ball and I got whacked in the face with a softball.I still have to memory of the 3 days I was loopy.

Other than that,my ankle has been sprained badly twice in the same year(8th Grade),broke my middle finger 3 times between 3rd and 4th grade,and stabed myself in the leg with a sharp pencil.

I'd say life has gone pretty good so far!:D :D :D :D :crazed:

Jedi Knightrider
07-18-2002, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by InsaneJediGirl
My most serious injury happened when my friends mutt bit me when I was 7 or 8.I came out of his room from playing a video game,started walking towards their front door,and WHAM dog jumped on me and took a huge hunk out of my left leg and left arm.Next thing I knew, I was in my Grandmas car going to the hosptial(30 minutes away).

The other injury also happened when I was 8 or 9.The same friend threw a curve ball and I got whacked in the face with a softball.I still have to memory of the 3 days I was loopy.

Is this person still your friend, because I would avoid them like the plague, for fear that they would literally give me the plague...:crazed: :stupid: :Pirate: :confused:

InsaneJediGirl
07-18-2002, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Knightrider

Is this person still your friend, because I would avoid them like the plague, for fear that they would literally give me the plague...:crazed: :stupid: :Pirate: :confused:

LOL

Actually,he moved away when I was about 13,so everything has been really quiet.And both injuries were out of his control.Who knew the dog was going to bite me,and I stepped in the path of the curve ball(I was a dorky little kid;)Still am)

LTBasker
07-18-2002, 08:22 PM
I haven't had all that serious phsyical injuries, but one time when me and a friend were playing catch with his dad, the ball was thrown at me and I wasn't able to get my glove up in time so it ended up smacking me just above my left eye. I looked like Quasimodo without the hunchback...

Also one time in Kindergarten, I was sliding down the slide on the playground which was just wood with a metal panel on it, and one of my pinky fingers went under this slit on the side and ended up getting cut real bad. Forunately though, I didn't have to get stitches.

Another baseball memory I have was my last year of coach pitch, and I slid into home, and the ump called me safe so the catcher got mad and before I got up, he smashed my face with his cleet. Only cut my nose up some. The ump didn't take too kindly too that, plus it helped that I also knew him. :D

187-Maul
07-18-2002, 08:36 PM
well, fortunetly I never even had to go to the hospital for something
the worst thing that ever happened to me was that I cut my thumb with an electric bread-saw and I had to wear a small bandage on my thumb for about 2 weeks, man was that hard:D
I really can't believe nothing really bad ever happened to me (maybe I'm "unbreakable", who knows;) )

Forhekset
07-18-2002, 08:56 PM
Hmm, the two worst experiences I can recall are when I was 7 years old and I took a bad slide playing baseball. I fractured my left femur (longest bone in your body) and the broken bone ripped out the side of my left leg. Got a nice scar on my leg from that. The other is when I was 19 or so and I was helping a buddy of mine with a little bit of construction at his house, and he dropped a hammer on my head from up high on a ladder...with the claw end pointing down, unfortunately. Knocked a big hole in the top of my head and I bled like a stuck pig. Needed quite a few stitches. There's lots of other stuff, but those are the two worst I can remember. I've been pretty banged up in my life.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-18-2002, 11:27 PM
I was expecting for the first post to read "if you have, call attorney Herschel Geller at 555-3202"

I grew up on a farm and once when I was 4 years old, my brother and I were running through some empty stables and somehow I tripped and fell right on a bunch of old and rusty nails. I had to go to the Emergency Room for some stitches and a tetanus shot.

During my last year of Little League Baseball (age 15) I misjudged a pop fly and it landed right square on my forehead. It floored me for a while but I never went to the hospital although in retrospect, I should have. Something similar could have happened like what happened to that poor girl in Columbus who attended the Bluejackets hockey game in March of this year.

But no broken bones or near death experiences yet (knock on wood)

Jason B
07-19-2002, 12:29 AM
I had my finger slammed (SLAMMED) in a heavy metal door, with metal hinges. You know, stupid kid stuff, playing reverse tug of war with a door. :rolleyes: Two or three kids and me on one side, one kid on the other, we all pushed as hard as we could at once, and I was dumb enough to have my finger in the way. Three stiches in my middle finger, took a while to heal though. I didn't realized it then, but don't douse wounds in Neosporan. It just makes them get infected, start pussing really badly, and have half a roll of gauze stuck to a very painful finger. Not good, at all. My finger's still off-shape, a little bit. Or well. :)

Deoxyribonucleic
07-19-2002, 12:51 AM
surgery to remove bone chip caught in elbow joint in 7th grade from running to the playground in 6th grade and person 3 times my size running into me and me flying and landing on elbow on cement. :o

Broken leg and smashed foot bones from hit and run motorcycle accident:frus:

Deoxyribonucleic
07-19-2002, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Forhekset
when I was 19 or so and I was helping a buddy of mine with a little bit of construction at his house, and he dropped a hammer on my head from up high on a ladder...with the claw end pointing down, unfortunately. Knocked a big hole in the top of my head and I bled like a stuck pig. Needed quite a few stitches.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

That sounds awful!!! Did it penatrate your skull?

Jedi Juice
07-19-2002, 12:58 AM
I was always very sick as a young child and in 2nd grade, I got nephritis. I don't really know what that is, but I also caught pneumonia at the same time and I was in the hospital for a few weeks. I later found out that I almost died, but fortunately God had plans for my life. I also got my tonsils removed, but that wasn't too horrible.

stillakid
07-19-2002, 01:01 AM
Car accident. My head through the side window. 60+ stitches around my eye and forehead. Glass splinters were working their way out of my scalp for months afterward. The interesting part was as I was laying in the hospital gushing blood from my head, the police officer came in and started asking questions, for my license, etc. What an idiot!

Earlier in life, I was cruising (top speed) downhill on a BMX bike when I must have hit a pothole. All I remember is flipping over the handle bars. It was a grisly site watching the doctor scrape gravel out of my arm.

mabudonicus
07-19-2002, 08:17 AM
IJG- that musta sucked, breaking your most useful finger (for a kid, anyways) so many times back then:)....
That post made me recall how, at a concert, I actually broke my middle finger (not making this up). I was really..ahhh.... getting into the music, and I treid to do the "ultimate snap", and I did, but the only sound was my finger breaking.
Stillakid- don't you love when that happens?? When I went to the plate glass, there were shards of glass (biggest one in my upper right arm, 2 1/2 inces across and maybe 5 long, cut to the bone) sticking out of me, blood spouting out everywhere, and since I was a "bad guy", all I kept hearing was "you shouldn't have gone through the window" and "you're gonna be in trouble". What an insult!! Oh, and I forgot to mention I've been doored BAD by cars twice on the same street.

Darth Nihilus
07-19-2002, 10:53 AM
It puts me in mind of a friend who threw a rock through a window, problem was he forgot to let go of the rock.:rolleyes:

Forhekset
07-19-2002, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Deoxyribonucleic

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

That sounds awful!!! Did it penatrate your skull?

Fortunately, no, but it did give me yet another hairline fracture in my skull. :D I think I have like, 3 or 4 total....

Mandalorian Candidat
07-19-2002, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
A half inch to the left or right and I would have lost an eye.

It's always fun until someone pokes their eye out.

Man, I almost feel left out. Everyone's had some gory thing happen to them. I guess I've lived the life of a veal calf.

I've never had any stitches except for some minor surgery. I have had two bones broken, both playing ball. I busted a bone in my right hand playing baseball when I was 17. I was going for an in-the-park-homer so I slid into home face first and my middle finger caught the beveled edge of the plate so the pressure traveled up the bone into my hand and snapped it. The bad part was it happened right before high school finals, but I did get out of my typing final. :)

I broke my elbow a few years later playing softball. I slid headfirst into second and the same thing happened except to my elbow. I still can't extend it all the way and it's been about 8-9 years since.

My dad was a chemist and got a really nasty sulfuric acid burn on his thigh. He still has the scar almost 30 years later.

My youngest brother used to play pickup hockey games at Disney Ice in Anaheim. He busted his nose and knocked another guys teeth out in one play so because of him they now have a full face cage policy there.

Jango Jett
07-19-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Forhekset

Fortunately, no, but it did give me yet another hairline fracture in my skull. :D I think I have like, 3 or 4 total....

when I was about 10 years old my big brother threw a 5 pound
cast iron door stop at me and it hit the top of my skull, it didnt
really hurt that bad but it bled like crazy, my shirt was covered in
blood, my mom used an old fashioned rememdy to stop the
bleeding , she kept applying this dried powdery substance to my
wound and applied pressure, until the bleeding stopped then the
powdery substance dried like a big scab , it looked like a dried
cow patty on top of my head ! I left it on there until it healed, I
had to wear a baseball cap for awhile to cover it up, I still have a
scar on my head from that childhood injury, my hair never grew
back on that spot, about the size of a half a dime.

SWAFMAN
07-19-2002, 03:39 PM
When I was 11 or 12, I was riding my 10-speed bicycle on this road that was under construction. There were no shoulders or sidewalks on the edges. The traffic was at a complete stand-still, so I started riding down the double-yellow line down the center of the road (I know - stupid, stupid, stupid). Well, sure enough, the traffic started moving rapidly again both ways and I was sorta trapped and just kept riding as carefully as I could until I could get to the side or back into the traffic flow. As a tanker truck passed by, it had somethinng sticking out a little from its side which clipped my bike and caused me to fall under the truck. My right leg was run over by rear two axles, both axles had the dual tires like all tractor trailers. The tibia was badly broken and bone was sticking out of my skin a little bit (compound fracture). I think what saved my leg from benig totally crushed was that my bike was being crushed under the tires at the same time as my leg, and the bike frame was supporting some of the truck's weight. I can still see the tire tread lines clearly showing on the skin of my leg (in my memory, not for real) just like it happened yesterday. Anyway, I went to Orthopedic Hospital, and they fixed my leg. I spent a good while in a cast and on crutches & had a limp for a long time after that, but I don't think I limp any more. It did cause my legs to be about 1/4" different in length, so I have to wear a heel pad in my shoe, or else I get back aches if I stand too long, from it misaligning my back. But really no long-term problems from it. I think I was damn lucky. It could have been my head, not my leg! Eewww!

I had a couple spectacular motorcycle wrecks, too. The first was totally my fault. Sure enough, it was one of the only times I ever wasn't wearing my leathers, before or since. I'd just washed my bike and was just taking it around the block to air-dry it. I decided to stop and fill the gas tank, and at the station I met up with someone else and impulsively decided to head straight out for a ride through the canyon roads. Well, he was a much more experienced rider than I was back then, and I had only had the bike a short time, and wasn't fully used to it yet. I took a left sweeping curve way too fast, got into some loose tiny rocks on the right edge of the road and from there on, I did everything wrong, used some front brake (idiot!!!) and way too much rear brake, and high-sided and the bike rode me for a ways down the rocky pavement, me on my back, wearing a t-shirt that disintegrated after about 1/2 second, and so did a good bit of my skin in the remaining several yards before I went into the dirt and scrub brush at the side of the road. The other rider came back and I saw in his face that it was bad. He went about a mile up the road to a place called the Rock Store, and called an ambulance. The rest of the day really sucked. They had to clean my shredded back and it felt like they were using a wire brush, but it was the softest cloth they could find. Then they had to pick all the little stones and sand and rock fragments and pieces of scrub brush out of my back and knee & elbow. My mom was so ****ed, she wouldn't even come get me, so I had to hitchhike home from Westlake to Hollywood. I spent the rest of the summer waiting for the skin on my back to heal, and figuring out how I was going to pay for rebuilding my new bike, which now had a bent frame and lots of other damage. That was a drag.
(oh, and the most clasically ironic part is that I went back shortly afterwards to that location to try to mentally piece together what had happened, and there was a little road right at the start of the curve where I went down. The street sign showed the name of the road: it was called 'Careful' isn't that the freakin' icing on the cake?!?)

After I got that bike fixed, I got rear-ended at a stop light by a little old lady in a big Oldsmobile. The bike got peeled in 1/2 like a banana, with the rear tire going under her car and everything above the rear tire getting pushed forward and up. I saw her coming and already started jumping over the front of the bike as the seat was being bent up & forward like and ejector. I landed on the hood of the car in fornt of me! Nothing broken on my body, but my back was hurt a bit. I still have some pain occasionally from that. Lesson: ALWAYS stop far enough behind the vehicle in front of you to allow you to jet to one side or the other of that vehicle in case you see that the vehicle behind you isn't going to stop! And I KNEW THAT at the time, I just didn't do it in that case. It doesn't sound like it, but I've really had an exceptionally safe history on motorcycles, and am a very responsible rider. There were youthful indiscretions, that I was fortunate enough to survive and learn from.

Oh, I also got grazed in the arm by a bullet. Was in the wrong apartment at the wrong time when the person whose apartment it was got a visit by some people whe were slightly upset with him. There were a few of us there at the time, and when the door crashed in, we all scattered like roaches when the light comes on. I was going over the balcony rail (wasn't that far down to the parking area) as I got nipped. Wasn't bad (only a flesh wound, like they guy says on Monty Python), just went right through, very near the surface on my forearm. But it is the worst scar I have because it was the only one I didn't get properly treated by a doctor. Just self-medicated myself to near-oblivion and sewed it up with a needle & thread. It looks pretty gross, but was better than having to answer a lot of embarrassing questions. And I look a lot better than the guy who was being paid the visit.

You know, now that I think about it, it really is a miracle I survived my teens and 20's.

JediCole
07-19-2002, 06:04 PM
Okay, this is for those of you out there who may not have been around when I disappeared from Sir Steve's for at least two months. And also for those who take a certain warped, "better you than me" sense of satisfactoin from these kinds of talees. Or for those who just like hearing about the soon-to-be-over saga of JediCole vs. "White Kitty"!

It all began on the chilly morning of February 1, 2002. All FIVE of our cats had piled up on the bed, including Dan (a.k.a. White Kitty), the newest member of the pride. And as such, not very well received by the preceeding four cats. The other male, Charlie, a Siamese-mix, was none too happy with Dan's presence. At about 3 AM I had to separate them as they were growling at each other.

Dan settled at the head of the bed. I was facing away from him at 7 AM when the growling resumed in concert with my alarm going off. Thinking to just nip this in the bud, I turned off the alarm and rolled over to scoop Dan up and toss him off the bed. Being mostly dark and with the fractious exchange at hand, Dan appears to have thought he was under attack from Charlie and struck! I am not exagerating when I say that I literally opened my eyes just in time to see his mouth coming at me. It looked just like those scenes in nature documentaries when a rattlesnake strikes the camera lens.

I hopped up out of bed, having no doubt that I had been BITTEN, not scrathed, in the eye! Though the pain was minimal, I could not comfortably open my left eye and kept seeing flashes of blue and purple. Dan of course was long gone!

Mrs. JediCole rushed me to the hospital where I was diagnosed with a scratch to the cornea. But since it was a bite and not a scratch, the on-call Ophthomologist was consulted for antibiotic treatment. The Ophtomologist wanted to see me right away, so it was off to his clinic about five minutes away. He took one look and discovered that I had a ruptured globe. What this translates into is that the tooth actually pierced the cornea, and I had lost a bit of fluid from the eye, causing the iris to float out of place and seal the wound. To make a long story short, the wound occured at 7 AM and by 12:30 PM I was in surgery to repair the damage.

What followed was four days in the hospital on IV antibiotics followed by at least two months of brutally intensive treatment to wipe out bacterial and fungal infections in the eye. And then a slow recovery with less intense treatments (apart from a harrowing procedure to remove a sample of fluid that I will not describe in detail as it is rather grusome).

I am now pleased to report that a week from today I will be having a surgery which should restore my vision to full. Presently my vision in the left eye is roughly 50% due to debris from the infection in the back of the eye and a cataract that has formed as a result of the infections. Both of these conditions will be corrected with the procedures employed in next week's surgery. And for the first time since all of this began, I get to sleep through a procedure!

I would like to thank all of you here who had heard this story in the recent past and sent your well wishes. After next week, I will have to say "goodbye" to my Evan Piel avatar. I will once again have the command of two good eyes.

Jargo
07-19-2002, 09:32 PM
Never had a stay in hospital. have had a mylogram x-ray though. I have a back injury that's through wear and tear and it's basicallysomething they can't figure out, weakened and damaged vertebrae. I had to have this x-ray to determine if their was any centralised nerve damage that was affecting my legs or vital organs.
So they get me dolled up in the gown and trundle me in to this room with a torture rack in the center. I get on and they expose my butt. I get a spinal tap inserted which is the biggest frickin' needle and I never want to see it again. They drain off some spinal fluid for analysis and then they inject colorless dye into me. And they're like "this is gonna hurt like hell. It'll settle in your lower back and then we'll rotate the torture rack through 180 degrees so the dye runs around your body and we can get good pictures" Which they do. And every time the dye stops running the pain builds in that area like someone pushing something the size of a pillow through a blood vessel. It was like the most pain I have ever felt like lead in your blood stream. And this went on for about half an hour. Then they finish taking pretty pictures of my innards and say to me "make sure you drink plenty because you'll have a headache after this and you need to flush out the dye from your system." So I leave and go home and drink a couple of glasses of water and forget about it until the pain starts. Like that scene in goodfellas(?) wher Joe Peschi puts that guys head in a vice and his eyeballs pop out of his head, the pain from this dehydrating dye hits me like a vice is round my head in all directons and I start to buckle as the dye is getting into my brain... I think i drank about six gallons straight of water that day. and the pain took a week to subside.
Then they ask me to go for a CAT scan, some new experimental scan that will replace the mylogram and I'm like "well if you want to try this then why put me through the pain in the first place? why not just let me do the new scan?" and they said it was so they could compare results and I was part of a batch of tests that would help millions in the future if they could do away with the mylogram x-ray and just use the CAT scan method instead. And the CAT SCAN was painless. Another injection into the spine area but no drain, no pain and no lead like dye. no being tilted and spun around this way and that either. Hope my pain does help others.

then there was the biopsy on muscle tissue from my arm. The doc didn't numb me down enough and I'm lying there awake in theater while he cuts me open and cuts out a chunk of my arm from beneath the ligaments and nerves. Forceps all over the place and the doc is talking to me about climbing mountains or something and I'm like "OW you *#$*&@#*5!" and he's like "Nearly done. Lalalalala...." and I can feel every slice he makes..... The scar still hasn't healed two years later. Just like the BCG vaccination I had when i was twelve never healed and you can see through the skin to the tissue beneath. It just skined over after going septic and pus filled. I feel like the bionic man when i look at my arm and can see the ribbons of muscle tissue pulling away in there. kinda freaky really.

And i broke a finger while performing in a kids show on stage in a darkened environment with a stupid costume I couldn't see out of. I had to run forward and pass through the middle of a bunch of other guys running the other way and we all had to flap our arms like we were scary...!!! don't ask. Directors have the weirdest ideas. :rolleyes: Anyway I was flapping my arms and i passed too close to the big fat guy on my left and my hand came down on his shoulder with a snap and my little finger was snapped right back like it jointed the wrong way round. But i was wearing gloves and couldnt see. Good job I had a mask on cuz the silent scream would have been a scary sight for sure. I got off stage and my hand was all swollen like a balloon. I thought I'd just sprained something though and had to finish the show so never got the finger seen to. Turns out i broke the little finger at the joint where it meets the bulk of the hand, it points of in a weird way now like a wacked Vulcan salute. crazy.

Apart from that I remain injury free and charmed.

Thumb Wars
07-19-2002, 09:47 PM
a couple fo years ago i was playing volleyball over at this girls house. we had a really good game going! one of my "team mates" hit the ball on the second tap a "little" out of bounds. i of course went to save it. well, i slide on my legs in a baseball style slide. i saved the ball and looked up and noticed a slate firepit coming up real fast. well, i hit it with my right foot first, followed by my right knee, then my left, then my right hand finally stopped me. i got up and noticed i was bleeding. oh well, i'm still in the game. i played 6 more games, then sat down to wipe the blood off my leg. that's when i noticed my toes felt fat. i took off my shoe and i discovered that i broke 3 toes!! i played 6 games and never even knew my toes were broken!! the next day i could barely put wieht on that foot. and to top it all off, you know my right knee?? yeah, it was severly swollen as well.

man was that a painful couple of days!!

dr_evazan22
07-19-2002, 11:37 PM
When I was 7 I was crossing a busy street. I swear I had looked both ways and was clear, but alas, it wasn't! A car hit me, rolled over my feet and gave me a huge shiner on my forehead. The car actually stopped on my foot/feet. My feet hurt like the dickens (I know, your asking what a dickens is and how it hurts. I don't really know what it is, but I can tell you it hurts a lot. MAybe it's a reference to that poor wretch Tiny Tim.), but nothing too bad. Spent the night at the hospital, and a few days in bed w/ castor oil packs.

A few years ago, my fire dept was driving SAnta around town on one of the trucks giving out candy canes, like we did every year. The trucks were moving 5-10 mph, so we were able to jump off, run along and jump back on. Well, the truckew was going a little fast for me, so I was sprinting to jump back on. I jumped up and landed on my left toes. I slipped off and my shin hit the running board. Ouch! I nearly tripped, kept running, and caught up and successfully jumped back on. A few minutes later we stopped so Santa could make a potty break. Since I was still in a lot of pain I pulled my jeans up and noticed that blood was running down into my socks. We got out the first aid kit and bandaged me up and I kept running on it till we were done, then got some stitches at the hosp.

TeeEye7
01-23-2011, 03:24 PM
I've had my feelings hurt several times. :cry:

Bel-Cam Jos
01-23-2011, 03:34 PM
Mentally and emotionally, I have been destroyed many a time. :dead: Physically, I made a deal a long time ago, and so far, all parties have held up their ends of it. :yes:

sith_killer_99
01-23-2011, 06:18 PM
In 2007 I passed a kidney stone, hurt like hell. It probably would have been easier to deal with if I weren't in Afghanistan at the time.

A couple of months ago I fell pretty hard and bruised a couple of bones, thankfully no broken bones.

A few years back I twisted an ankle on a run and later found out I had broken a bone, it healed.

In high school I jammed my finger playing football. Again it turned out I had broken a bone, but I didn't find out until years later.

I broke a bone in my elbow when I was in 2nd grade, but didn't need a cast, just a sling.

In Jr. High I got a boxer's fracture in my right hand, again no cast.

So 4 broken bones and no casts. lol

I have also had some pretty serious illnesses, I have had pneumonia twice.

When I was 5 or 6 I developed anaphylactoid purpura, it took the doctors a LONG time to diagnose because I did not develop all the symptoms associated with the disease. I spent weeks in the hospital. It was horrible, I woke up one morning and couldn't move my joints were so stiff. They originally diagnosed me with rheumatoid arthritis.

Neuroleptic
01-23-2011, 06:34 PM
I was born 3 months pre-mature weighing less than a pound, requiring emediate emergency open heart surgery and wasn't expected to live, I lost my sight in my left eye due to some kind of screw up with an incubator I was in, and caught pnumonia 3 times shortly afterward partialy due to just being in such bad shape.

Strangely, I'm not sure that counts as an injury or not, as all of that was due to terrible being born under terrible conditions.

I also got hit by a truck many years ago that was driving at 50 MPH while I was riding a bike. I got thrown 20 feet, and despite my bike being destroyed, I was able to get up and walk to work and work a full night's work. Was badly brused, but other wise ok.

So I guess the answer is no. Not really, no.

DarthQuack
01-23-2011, 07:01 PM
Just a broken collar bone in high school playing soccer, and one broken thumb playing pick up hoops the year before.

bigbarada
01-23-2011, 08:00 PM
I broke a bone in my left hand back in 1993 and I was in a cast for about 10 weeks. It seemed to have healed properly, but suddenly started giving me problems again around 2004 and it has caused me pain ever since. I can't support my body weight on my hand anymore so doing exercises like push-ups are out of the question. I was in the Army when I broke my hand, but I'm not sure if this recent aggravation would be considered a service-connected disability.

Other than that I've had some pretty severe ankle sprains in the past, but I think that's about it.