PDA

View Full Version : Arm Chair Jedi. AKA: Monday Morning Jedi

icatch9
07-18-2002, 10:57 AM
Arm chair quarter backs and Monday morning quarter backs are terms used for football fans who think they know everything that should have been done in th football game they are watched. It seems every football fan is an expert and would rival Vince Lambarti as far as coaching knowledge goes (in thier own minds of course).

Anyway, I thougth I'd use this sort of attitude towards Star Wars. I'll play the Arm Chair Jedi role:)

Obi Wan gets delt with by Dooku in AOTC. The fight was short and Obi Wan would have been killed if Yoda had not steped in. Obi Wan looked horrible in the fight. After such a good showing against Darth Maul who IMO is perhaps the most talented person we have ever seen use a lightsaber. It's true that Dooku is a powerful Sith, but by no means is he the sordsman that Maul was. If Obi Wan is so great, then why was he so easily beaten by Dooku?

Don't even get me started on Aniken. The only excuse he has is his thoughts were not in the right place. He was not mentally prepaired for such a fight.

What do you guys think?

Darth Marra 54
07-18-2002, 11:32 AM
Anakin,Anakin,Anakin not Aniken

Anyway I beleive that Dooku is much more powerful than Maul.
Do you think Maul could of fought Yoda to a draw like Dooku

icatch9
07-18-2002, 11:39 AM
Believe, believe, believe, not beleive. I before E except after C :). Thanks for the spelling lesson nonetheless.

Anyway, Maul is much faster than Dooku and perhaps not a draw but from what we have seen of Maul he would have put up a better fight than Obi Wan did. That's what's so vexing. Why could Obi Wan kill Maul but yet, look so pathetic against Dooku?

Darth Sidious
07-18-2002, 01:07 PM
I personally think Dooku would give Maul a good thrashing. Maybe Obi has bad knees or is starting to get arthritis or something. He is ten years older...Plus, imo Dooku is a superior swordsman so he would make Obi look worse. In the 2nd comic of the series "Most precious weapon" Dooku states that Anakin had greater potential in the force than anyone he had ever met, but, although certainly an adept fighter, he expected much more of Obi-Wan. So there you have it- Obi-Wan looked bad because Dooku can smack just about anybody like someone who...gets...umm...killed. :D

icatch9
07-18-2002, 02:08 PM
I'm red headed and take offense to that statement :(. Your proof is not sound. We are talking about the movie, not the comic adaptation. I agree Dooku is better, I just expected a better fight. Dooku vs Maul will never happen, but we can go around in circles about it for years.

Jacen Solo
07-18-2002, 02:09 PM
I read somewhere that Jedi have different fighting phases. I believe Obi-Wan was a phase II, Mace was a Phase VII, and Dooku a phase III. If they do have different styles or "phases" then that could explain why Obi-Wan was defeated so eaily.

DahrJin
07-18-2002, 02:30 PM
OB-1's fight with DooKu was short and useless, as well as Anakin's, so there would be enough time for the Yoda sequence. It has nothing to do with style. :D

J/K

I think both fights were a waste. Like you said, both are good fighters, OB-1 killed maul and Anakin is supposed to be all powerful, yet neither of the two could stand against DooKu for very long. Anakin should have at least got a slash in or something. As p!**ed as he was, it was the least we should have seen. He did slaughter a whole clan of raiders while p!**ed off.

Weak story telling on GL's part WEAK WEAK WEAK. IMHO that is.

Darth Sidious
07-18-2002, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by icatch9
I'm red headed and take offense to that statement :(. Your proof is not sound. We are talking about the movie, not the comic adaptation. I agree Dooku is better, I just expected a better fight. Dooku vs Maul will never happen, but we can go around in circles about it for years.

Im sorry, offense was not my objective. The post will be edited.

Captain Trips
07-19-2002, 04:07 PM
You could make the argument that Maul had tired after fighting BOTH Obi and Qui-Gon and that Obi took advantage of a moment of rage after his master had been killed.

Dooku is an experience swordsman, and a far more powerful force user than Maul. Obi is simply outclassed.

My issue is more with Anakin, the supposed "chosen one." I blink faster than he was in the fight, and he is suposed to become the "most powerful Jedi ever?" I liked seeing him fight with two sabers, I just wish we could have seen more of his potential. We keep hearing how strong he is, but aside from implying that Anakin slaughters a camp of Tuskens, we don't ever really SEE it.

sith_killer_99
07-19-2002, 07:56 PM
First of all, Yoda would have chopped Darth Maul off at the knees!

With that said. The fight sequence between Obi and Dooku as well as the fight sequence between Ani and Dooku were BOTH pretty weak.

But then, it's pretty tough to top the lightsaber duel from EP1.

The novel REALLY led me to expect more from the Ani!

We were SUPPOSED to believe that Dooku's unusual fencing style caught Obi-Wan off guard. However, according to the novel Ani was supposed to fight harder and Dooku was supposed to make it look easier. Dooku's style just didn't come across well in the film, IMHO.

I don't blame GL, he was working with an 80+ year old man, and a kid who has probably NEVER choreographed a sword fight.

That being said, I did enjoy the fight between Dooku and Yoda. Though I would have prefered to see the whole scene. Refering to Dooku using 2 lightsabers.

icatch9
07-22-2002, 09:56 AM
Chris Lee didn't fight. It was a stunt man with a CG Chris Lee face. Still it just wasnt' in the cards to have an amazing fight. That isn't what GL wanted. He wanted a shorter fight. Like in the OT. Sitll in "Movie Land" I think Obi Wan should of stood a better chance. But Dooku points out how disapointed he was in the performance of Obi Wan, so maybe Obi Wan wasn't prepaird to fight alone becasue he thought he'd be fighting a long side Anakin.

DahrJin
07-22-2002, 10:03 AM
Nah, OB-1 was just real tired. After all he was hangin' in the force feild thingy, chained to a post and had just been through a giant battle with beasts, genosians and battle droids. :p

All the guy needed was a shot of coffee and he would of been on top of his game. Where's a Starbucks when you REALLY need one? :D

Darth Vellner
07-27-2002, 02:14 AM
I don't think the fight was to show Anakin's skills , I think it was to show his rebellion (not listening to his master) and how his anger will destroy him(like Dooku started by cuting off his arm)and turn him into (Vader) the "more machine then man" he becomes......
Obi-wan was not planing to fight alone...he could of had flashbacks of seeing Qui-gon's death when he saw ani's arm get cut off and that could of blown his consentration
I think the next movie will showcase Anakin's skills with a Lightsaber and the force......I hope!!!!

Obi-Don
07-27-2002, 03:22 AM
I too expected more out of Anakin and Obi-wan. I know that scene was to show Yoda's fighting skills,but GL could have made the main characters a little stronger than he did.

pthfnder89
07-27-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Obi-Don
I too expected more out of Anakin and Obi-wan. I know that scene was to show Yoda's fighting skills,but GL could have made the main characters a little stronger than he did.

Personally I was dissappointed that Obi Wan didn't try to move out of the way of the falling column. I mean, he was hurt, but the cuts didn't exactly look huge and he was fully conscious. Seems like he would have at least tried to get himself and Anakin out of the way instead of just watching Yoda try to stop it.:rolleyes:

Chewtobacco
07-29-2002, 10:21 PM
It is my understanding that the creators of SW went to great lengths to give each Jedi and Sith a style to their fighting. With styles come strengths and weaknesses. Perhaps against Dooku, Qui-Gon would have been capable of opening a can of whoop-***, or at least made a stronger showing than OB1 or Anikin. But of course against Maul, a style he's never encountered, he lost force concentration. I don't think you can compare Jedi on a level playing field the way many of you are.

Yoda v. Anikin may end up in a Anakin victory wheras, Yoda v. Dooku ended up a draw. At the same time, Dooku v. Anikin would end with Dooku as the victor.

If you think about it, Anakin and Obi-wan JUST finished fighting three of the nastiest creatures in all of SW history in the Genosian coliseum AND then defended themselves against hundreds of battle droids. No breaks... Now Yoda walks in after being well rested and nothing but a long ride through space to tire him out. It's totally understandable that he could put up a better fight.

Captain Trips
07-30-2002, 08:43 AM
All good points.

The thing I still would have liked to have seen would have been Dooku maybe taunting Anakin during their fight, upsetting, or even angering him. Maybe hint that Padme had died or something and show Ani just lose it for a moment or two. Let him take the fight to Dooku for a few seconds. I just want to see the guy that is supposed to be the chosen one.