PDA

View Full Version : Why the Droid Ship raid was cut? (Officially answered.)

Battle Droid
07-18-2002, 11:57 PM
This comes from www.starwars.com

Ben Burtt, editor, sound designer answers.

Why was Plo Koon and Ki-Adi-Mundi's commando raid on the Droid Control Ship cut from the final edit of Attack of the Clones?

The attack on the Droid Control Ship was filmed and edited together, but never completed with final special effects. A Jedi attack force battled its way up the ship's ramp, through doorways, down halls, and into the bridge of the ship. The scene was filled with much swordplay and stunts.

The sequence was dropped from the cut because it added another story to be intercut with what already was becoming too complicated and time consuming for the climax of the movie. Including the sequence also meant time needed to set it up and resolve it while the arena battle and the Clone War land battle proceeded simultaneously.

There was lots and lots of material in each one of these sequences that needed to be trimmed. There was lots of Jedi action in the arena fight dropped, more Jango and Mace, and even at one point a battle in space with the Droid Control Ships.

All of these would have been great to see, but choices have to be made for the priorities of the storyline.

Too bad he doesn't mention anything about the DVD cut scenes.

Beast
07-19-2002, 12:02 AM
Well, the fact that the scenes were actually filmed, and that it is a long scene means that there is very good chance that we may see some or all of it on the DVD. I don't blame them for cutting it, it would have been a cool scene...but cutting away from the battle in the arena would have hurt the tension that was created in the fight between the Jedi's and the Droid army. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
07-19-2002, 12:16 AM
Theres a waste of money there.

Instead we gotta get stuck with 3PO's hanging around the droid factory after R2 "mysteriously" pushes him off the ledge.

I would've rather seen Plo and Ki-Adi cuttin up some Pilot Droids than a toon 3PO. :D Somehow it just would've been more entertaining...

Battle Droid
07-19-2002, 12:20 AM
As long as it's on the DVD it's cool. :D

Beast
07-19-2002, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by LTBasker
Theres a waste of money there.

Instead we gotta get stuck with 3PO's hanging around the droid factory after R2 "mysteriously" pushes him off the ledge.

I would've rather seen Plo and Ki-Adi cuttin up some Pilot Droids than a toon 3PO. :D Somehow it just would've been more entertaining...
LTBasker, it's not a waste of money. It's a very commen practice in the movie industry. Subplots get dropped for time and cleaning up the narrative, all the time. Take a look at the uncut versions of ALIENS and The Abyss for example. :)

Sometimes the cuts are good, and frankly I have to agree with George on this cut. It they would have been cutting back and forth from the arena battle for this droid control ship and space battle, the tension in the arena would have been lost. It's supposed to be a hopeless situation, if there is a chance that the Jedi can shut down the droid control ship, it takes away from the gravity of the situation. :)

I would like to see them add a little more of the arena fight back into the film, especially more between Mace and Jango. Maybe the head chopping scene won't seem so sudden, and it will more clear that Jango's backpack was damaged. I still liked the movie, and I really don't mind the whole C-3PO in the droid factory scene. Besides, the dropping of the Droid Control Ships scenes came after, so it wouldn't have spared you from that scene. :p :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
07-19-2002, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

LTBasker, it's not a waste of money. It's a very commen practice in the movie industry. Subplots get dropped for time and cleaning up the narrative, all the time. Take a look at the uncut versions of ALIENS and The Abyss for example. :)

I know that usually happens, but the money could've been spent fixing up alot of the CGI that seemed to fail, like the 3PO scene.

As for the Ki-Adi and Plo scenes, they could have been happening as Mace was making his way to the balcony. Not the full length of course, but maybe showing them in the hall after showing Mace approaching the balcony, then showed them fighting in the Control ship. The whole thing could've been a false sense of security type of thing, where the Jedi are all ready to fight thinking that the droids are about to come out but they don't then Ki-Adi and Plo ignite their sabers in the Arena, of course then the Jedi get suprised from blasters inside the Arena catacombs, in which the droids start to appear.

*shrugs*

DeadEye
07-19-2002, 09:12 AM
I agree with LTBasker that putting in all the crap with Toon '3PO was a waste. There's at least three good minutes to that ignorant scene that could have been spent on more glorious combat! :D

billfremore
07-19-2002, 10:22 AM
I'm getting the impression that you'd prefer if the whole movie was nothing but a lightsaber duel.

Woo, that makes for an exciting movie.:rolleyes:

Who needs a plot when you can have guys chopping up stuff with lightsabers for 2 hours. ;)

derek
07-19-2002, 11:28 AM
i don't wish the whole film to be a saber duel, but i do wish it had been edited together a little better. the obi-wan/dooku duel was a horrible edit, and anakin/dooku was filmed terribly.

and cutting away from that duel to watch padme spring to life in the sand was plain lame, and it took away from the intensity ofthe saber duel.

Darkross
07-19-2002, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by derek
i don't wish the whole film to be a saber duel, but i do wish it had been edited together a little better. the obi-wan/dooku duel was a horrible edit, and anakin/dooku was filmed terribly.

and cutting away from that duel to watch padme spring to life in the sand was plain lame, and it took away from the intensity ofthe saber duel.

I too love the saber duels and wish that Obi-Wan Kenobi's duel with Dooku could have lasted longer. It would have been neat to see Dooku defend against Obi-Wan and Anakin at the same time. The only real thing that bugged me about the whole hangar duel was how Anakin and Obi-Wan looked like they were sleeping after Dooku had his way with them! I was also waiting for a really big scream from Anakin when he lost his arm too!

DeadEye
07-19-2002, 12:56 PM
I wouldn't mind if the whole movie was a lightsaber duel. I want more action, dammit! :)

Jacen Solo
07-19-2002, 01:01 PM
I want to see more Jedi chicks fighting.

bobafett07728
07-19-2002, 01:38 PM
What about the scene of Dooku fighting with two sabers. I think it is plainly obvious that when Dooku uses the force to bring down the column (or whatever it was) that his hand was palm up ready to recieve the second saber. That would indicate a longer duel with Yoda. . .and who can complain about that?!?!? Anyone know if this is a possible DVD scene, or is this another scene lost forever.

brentfett
07-19-2002, 01:52 PM
I agree with what Jar Jar said: the fight between Mace and Jango was very disappointingly short. Just twenty or thirty seconds more would have made all the difference in the world!

Darth Marra 54
07-19-2002, 02:07 PM
Those scences would of only made the movie better. I do not understand why they cut stuff out like that. For what an extra 5 minutes? I would of stayed an extra 5 minutes for that.

DeadEye
07-19-2002, 02:59 PM
I already mentioned that they might put back in the scene where Dooku uses 2 sabers on Yoda...:)

pthfnder89
07-19-2002, 03:27 PM

I don't have a problem with the idea of editing; I just don't think Burtt and Lucas did a terribley good job on it, which is strange because Lucas has often said he is happiest when he's editing, not when he's directing.

I think that may be the problem; Lucas really seems to rush through the actual filming process so he can begin editing. The actual filming seems to be a minor inconvenience.

I hate to say it but I think AOTC would have been drastically improved by the addition of these action sequences, and the subtraction of several character developing scenes. (which is a pretty darn sad thing to have to say about a movie) Particularly in the Mace/Jango battle, which created absolutely no tension at all, as well as the hastily edited final duels.

I truly hope we see more of these amongst the deleted scenes on the DVD, but I have a feeling a lot of the scenes (and there are only 8 correct?) will be smaller character scenes such as the Lars and Amidala families.

Pendo
07-19-2002, 04:10 PM
I really, really, REALLY hope this scene is with the DVD deleted scenes, it sounds so awsome! I heard a spoiler bout this and really wanted to see it and was pretty P-ed off when I found out it was cut. This was probably the biggest cut in the movie.

PENDO!

Exhaust Port
07-19-2002, 04:36 PM
Seeing what they put into the TPM dvd I don't think we'll be disappointed.

LTBasker
07-19-2002, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by billfremore
I'm getting the impression that you'd prefer if the whole movie was nothing but a lightsaber duel.

Woo, that makes for an exciting movie.:rolleyes:

Who needs a plot when you can have guys chopping up stuff with lightsabers for 2 hours. ;)

I didn't mean that. It's not like they would've needed to show the whole butchering in the control ship bit, but it would've been more dramatic than the 3PO toon in a scene where there was waaayy too much coincidence in stuff that just made it a short nap scene rather than adding to an exciting movie. ;)

JediTricks
07-20-2002, 03:05 AM
I love this, they cut cool scenes like this but keep 2 minutes of people EATING!!! If you have time to show people eating, you have time to show people rushing opposing forces and hacking 'em to bits with lightsabers. Overfilming leads to bad editing, bad editing leads to bad pacing, bad pacing leads to bad movie. ;)

LTBasker
07-20-2002, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
I love this, they cut cool scenes like this but keep 2 minutes of people EATING!!! If you have time to show people eating, you have time to show people rushing opposing forces and hacking 'em to bits with lightsabers. Overfilming leads to bad editing, bad editing leads to bad pacing, bad pacing leads to bad movie. ;)

Especially when they can't even keep the correct size of the food that is cut when they go to CGI to have it "float".

jet chan
07-20-2002, 05:15 PM
i don't think that by having the scene put in it would take away from the tention just the contray it would add more, mostly when all hope is seeming lost when they get the job done and blam a few moments later the battle droids come back to life.

rynobot
07-20-2002, 06:36 PM
I doubt it will be on DVD because it was never finished with CGI. You never know they could finish it up for the DVD, but I doubt that will happen.

Sith Lord 0498
07-21-2002, 09:39 AM
The deleted scenes on the Episode I DVD were never finished with CGI either. That was one of the things holding up the disc's release. Lucas had ILM go back and finish off those scenes as if they were part of the movie.

So it is very likely those scenes will appear on the Episode II DVD.

Chiesa
07-22-2002, 10:10 AM
I really hope that the DVDs will include the edited scenes never seen on screen before!! :) I don't understand why the Droid ship raid should have been edited as they thought it would have lessen the tension... Just look at TPM, in the final showdown with the trade federation... They had JJB goofing around the last battle scene at the same time of the GREAT showdown of QuiGonn ObiWan and Darth Maul... So whats the logic in that???

hango fett
07-25-2002, 09:45 PM
god, i would LOVE to see this! and extended mace and jango and extended arena battle......................i could go on forever! but the main thing i think we ALL want to see is more of the yoda/dooku duel.
hango

DeadEye
07-25-2002, 11:02 PM
I don't want to see a particular scene, but rather all of them! The one thing I hope is that every deleted scene is reincorporated, a la the Terminator 2 DVD. It was a pain on the Episode I DVD to watch the movie, and then insert the other disc to watch the deleted scenes. :rolleyes:

Beast
07-25-2002, 11:07 PM
DeadEye, the deleted scenes will not be re-incorperated into the movie. That's why they are deleted. While Lucas may choose to do what he did with the E1 DVD, and add a little bit here and there, he is not going to put eveything that was cut back in.

Movies still have to flow and be paced well, even in a Home Video format. Re-incorperation of the scenes will drag the movie out. Expecting Lucas to re-incorperate 20+ minutes of footage is unrealistic. It is not going to happen. Be glad that Lucas even adds to the movie for the DVD release at all. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DeadEye
07-25-2002, 11:11 PM
Jar Jar, what the hell is up with this? You replied to one of my posts without insulting me!!! Quite frankly, I am shocked.

I understand why he wouldn't reincorporate the scenes, but can't they just have you select a "theatrical version" and "special version," a la the Terminator 2 and ID4 DVDs?

Beast
07-25-2002, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by DeadEye
Jar Jar, what the hell is up with this? You replied to one of my posts without insulting me!!! Quite frankly, I am shocked.

I understand why he wouldn't reincorporate the scenes, but can't they just have you select a "theatrical version" and "special version," a la the Terminator 2 and ID4 DVDs?
Trust me, if I was really insulting you...I would be banned by now. I only try to give you constructive critacisim, just like everyone else here. You take it as a personal attack every time. :rolleyes:

I don't get what you mean, why would you select anything. There is only one version of the movie. T2 was cut because James Cameron had to bring it in at a certain length. The Extended Edition was for the fans, and helped explain things more. There is still stuff cut out of the Extended Edition of T2. Don't judge how every movie should be presented, just because James Cameron films to much good stuff.

Lucas can make the movie as long as he wants, he has final say but he always likes to bring them in around a little over 2 hours long. These scenes were cut for a reason. Listen to Lucas and the rest of the people that are intervied on the DVD. Lucas only added those scenes back into E1, because after he saw them finished he thought they helped the movie.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DeadEye
07-25-2002, 11:43 PM
Well, well, well. Now the truth comes out. Well, I don't take something like, "Hey, watch the ego" as a personal attack--but I certainly do if people call me a "sanctimonious pile of crap."

LTBasker
07-25-2002, 11:45 PM
Lucas only added those scenes back into E1, because after he saw them finished he thought they helped the movie.

So Anakin hopping into a Coruscant Taxi helps the movie but showing how Obi, Jar-Jar, and Qui got from the Bongo to land doesn't. ;)

DeadEye
07-25-2002, 11:54 PM
Yeah. With the taxi scene, ILM got to show off more of their CGI 'toon city. :D With the bongo scene, it was unnecessary as the 3 heroes could have landed safely and the outcome is still the same, yes?

LTBasker
07-26-2002, 01:18 AM
Nah cause they could've hit a sandbar and gone BOOM. On Coruscant they could've just gotten bugs on their teeth because with the lower CGI in E1, all the traffic stayed in the background. ;)

DarthBrandon
07-26-2002, 01:24 AM
Well, well, well. Now the truth comes out. Well, I don't take something like, "Hey, watch the ego" as a personal attack--but I certainly do if people call me a "sanctimonious pile of crap."

Then you shouldn't insult people by pointing out grammar mistakes, grow up for gods sake. And for the record you take everything that is not your opinion as a personal attack.

DeadEye
07-26-2002, 10:04 AM
That's not true at all...I really don't know what the hell you're talking about. But when people insult me for stupid reasons, then I take it as a personal attack.

Beast
07-26-2002, 10:30 AM
DeadEye, please don't start it again today. Let it go. We don't need another flame war. That post from LT was over 8 hours old, let it go. Ok?

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

billfremore
07-26-2002, 10:42 AM
Ok kids, let's play nice. :)

Everybody relax and let's get back to the topic at hand.

Was there any other major scene that was cut from AOTC that anybody feels should ahve been in the movie?

Pendo
07-26-2002, 10:46 AM
I think the Dooku fighting Yoda with two sabers should have been in. I was really looking forward to seeing that and it ended up being cut :(.
I also would like to have seen Padmé's family.

PENDO!

billfremore
07-26-2002, 10:50 AM
Padmé's family?
I never heard of this, what was this scene about?

I think they should have shown Cliegg giving Threepio back to Anakin, I think it would ahve been a simple 20 second scene that would have explained a helluva lot as opposed to "Hey, did they just steal our droid?":D

Pendo
07-26-2002, 10:53 AM
Padmé's family?

There were numerous scenes involving her family which were all cut. There was a bit where her father was talking to Anakin about how much danger Padmé was in, and a scene with her sister ironing as her and Padmé talk about Anakin and how "cute" he is, or something along them lines...

PENDO!

macewindu87
07-26-2002, 10:53 AM
i agree with what brentfett had to say. They really should have made the fight scene between mace and Jango longer that 30 sec. but other than that the movie was incredible.
mace:crazed:

Pendo
07-26-2002, 10:56 AM
Yes, I had the storyboards for that sequence and it lasted ALOT longer and was really cool! But it was realy cut down :(!

PENDO!

Darth Nihilus
07-26-2002, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker

I know that usually happens, but the money could've been spent fixing up alot of the CGI that seemed to fail, like the 3PO scene.

As for the Ki-Adi and Plo scenes, they could have been happening as Mace was making his way to the balcony. Not the full length of course, but maybe showing them in the hall after showing Mace approaching the balcony, then showed them fighting in the Control ship. The whole thing could've been a false sense of security type of thing, where the Jedi are all ready to fight thinking that the droids are about to come out but they don't then Ki-Adi and Plo ignite their sabers in the Arena, of course then the Jedi get suprised from blasters inside the Arena catacombs, in which the droids start to appear.

*shrugs*

Another problem with having this scene in the main body of the movie is that the same idea was used in Episode 1 essentially. What fun would it be if we had to witness the same plot devices all the time? That'd be like blowing up yet another Death Star in ESB, or having a massive space battle in eveyr movie. You can't keep the idea fresh that way.

hango fett
07-27-2002, 07:40 AM
how about lucas just quits making the movies. or he dies. (god forrbidde.) what would all of us be arguing about then?

anywho, the dvd better have a little re-incorparated because i really want to see the FULL LENGTH of the entire hanger duel. from obi-wan to yoda.
hango:frus:

DeadEye
07-27-2002, 10:37 AM
Unfortunately, that just isn't going to happen. Maybe one or two scenes will be reincorporated, a la the Ep1 DVD, but also like the Ep1 DVD, you'll have to watch all the other scenes separately. :frus:

hango fett
07-27-2002, 01:06 PM
that is so STUPID! lucas has millions of people working for him and he can't just put aside a little time........................no, i forgot...he's rich.....(no offense to anyone.)
hango:mad:

Beast
07-27-2002, 01:22 PM
Hango, you still have things like pacing and such. Scenes get deleted from every movie. Sometimes it's a case of having to bring the film in at a certain time. Othertimes cause the scene doesn't work all that well. Or other times, it's just not neccisary to the narritive. There will likely be some re-incorperation, but there is no way that he would put all the scenes back in.

And he is taking time out of his busy schedule, he's done interviews for the DVD, as well as an audio commentary. He's also helped prep the DVD and signed off on the features. He could have been cheap and just released a barebones disc, until he had more free time. Seriously, he has other things to do then just work on the DVD. He does have kids, you know. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

hango fett
07-27-2002, 01:49 PM
the only scene that i would really want fully re-encorparated it the yoda/dooku duel as i said before. that would make my year!
hango.

LTBasker
07-27-2002, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Darth Nihilus

Another problem with having this scene in the main body of the movie is that the same idea was used in Episode 1 essentially. What fun would it be if we had to witness the same plot devices all the time? That'd be like blowing up yet another Death Star in ESB, or having a massive space battle in eveyr movie. You can't keep the idea fresh that way.

1. It wouldn't be in space, 2. they wouldn't show blowing it up, and 3. they'd just show the droids getting deactivated then 2 late lightsabers being ignited in the Arena not long after. Of course instead of just having them all stare at each other, Poggle would begin ordering the Geonosians to go after the Jedi themselves but then the droids reactivate.

Hopefull they'll put alot on the DVD, and not just interviews or things like that. Shouldn't it be easier to put stuff on DVDs with the all digital movie? They should have both digital, non-digital versions on there. Theatrical release version though...not with the cutscenes poorly added in gradually.

DeadEye
07-27-2002, 05:29 PM
I don't think there was much more to the Dooku/Yoda duel anyway, except for the bit where Dooku uses 2 sabers on Yoda, which in the novel and script only lasted for a moment anyway. :D

pthfnder89
07-27-2002, 07:52 PM
I don't think there was much more to the Dooku/Yoda duel anyway, except for the bit where Dooku uses 2 sabers on Yoda, which in the novel and script only lasted for a moment anyway. :D

Plus, any cut footage from the Dooku/Yoda duel is likely just shots of Chrostopher Lee swinging his lightsabers. It literally took a couple years to develop and animate Yoda's fighting scene, so it's not likely that they animated any of his parts and then cut them.

Beast
07-27-2002, 07:58 PM
Excellent point, Pthfnder89. Really the only thing that I think should be incorperated back into the movie is Jocasta Nu's "Lost 20" speech to Obi-Wan Kenobi. A little more arena action, especially a little more of Mace vs. Jango would be nice also, since the decapitation seems a bit sudden. All the rest can be left to deleted scenes. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

pthfnder89
07-27-2002, 08:09 PM
Really the only thing that I think should be incorperated back into the movie is Jocastu Nu's "Lost 20" speech to Obi-Wan Kenobi. A little more arena action, especially a little more of Mace vs. Jango would be nice also, since the decapitation seems a bit sudden.

Absolutely. Jocasta's speach gives a lot of insight and background into the Jedi Order. (plus it makes her look more intelligent than she came off in the final cut.:))

jet chan
07-27-2002, 09:59 PM
the only reason i'd like to see the scene with the droid ship raid is it would have been interesting to see the droids stop for a few moments and then become reanimated and start fighting again in my opinion that would have made the arena battle seem much more bleak.

Beast
07-27-2002, 11:10 PM
I posted this in the DVD release thread also, but I didn't want anyone to miss it, and it's relevent to the discussion. According to Dan Beecher, an administrator at HomeTheaterForum.Com, it looks like there will be 3 scenes re-incorperated into the movie for the DVD release. Here is the quote. I will bold the relevent section. :)

This issue was actually raised in this recent thread, however I'll leave this one open as it concentrates fully on this specific issue (where as the other one was more about the release date).

We're probably going to get NEITHER theatrical edition. It was said by one of the folks at ILM at Celebration 2 that three additional scenes had nearly been finished to be put back in for the DVD, we're clearly going to get a slightly extended cut as we did with TPM if true.

So if that becomes the case, people will surely argue over not having the original theatrical release. They of course will be faced with the issue that there were two different theatrical releases.

Dan
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DeadEye
07-27-2002, 11:33 PM
Say,

I was under the understanding that with the whole droid control ship bit, the regular battle droids did shut down--but the super battle droids kept fighting. Also, I believe the script called for Jango to kill the reek by shooting its belly several times as he was trampled instead of merely shooting its eye. :D

hango fett
07-28-2002, 08:48 AM
oh, yeah. i read somewhere that they couldn't do dooku with 2 lightsabers attacking yoda because it was too difficult.ok. how about a longer mace/jango battle.
hango

DeadEye
07-28-2002, 09:21 AM
Yeah...I think in the original Mace/Jango battle, Mace like hid behind one of the reek's legs or something, and tricked Jango into being trampled. Jango perforated the reek's underside with his Westar-45 pistol as he was beneath it...killing the reek. And Mace deflected many blaster bolts in the novel before Jango lost his head. :D

hango fett
07-28-2002, 10:48 AM
yeah..i remeber reading that in the book. and did anyone notice that after padme' and anikan got of the air bus to go to the freighter that r2 is starting to walk down the steps then in the next shot he is right behind anikna???? good job, georgey!
hango:D

DeadEye
07-28-2002, 11:28 AM
Maybe R2 was using those booster rockets of his. :D I sure as hell hope we get an explanation for them. When my dad saw AOTC he was like, "R2 flying? Yeah right!" :p

hango fett
07-28-2002, 11:31 AM
they just keep adding stuff to r2. i guess he doesn't mind...he has the rooket boosters and a suction cup on his but...what next....mynok that come out of his feet?????!!!
hango

jet chan
07-28-2002, 12:26 PM
maybe r2 will turn out to be anakins father:D

hango fett
07-28-2002, 12:56 PM
yeah...then he confronts r2 and says "are you my real father? TELL ME NOW!"
hango:D

DeadEye
07-28-2002, 01:56 PM
IIRC R2 has newer features in each movie. In ESB they gave him his little radar dish. In ROTJ they gave him an electric prod and the lightsaber launcher. :D In TPM they gave him an airbrush thing. And in AOTC he has booster rockets...I guess in Episode III he'll have miniguns that pop out of his side! :)

hango fett
07-28-2002, 02:06 PM
no, gernade launchers! he can fight in the clone wars!
hango fettx2

jet chan
07-28-2002, 02:49 PM
ya he gets hit by a laser bolt in the head protecting his son anakin thus getting the memory wipe:D

DeadEye
07-28-2002, 04:24 PM
Maybe R2 has a high midichlorian count like Skippy the Jedi Droid. :D

hango fett
07-28-2002, 07:27 PM
too funny, deadeye! lol!
h.

JediTricks
07-29-2002, 02:49 AM
IIRC R2 has newer features in each movie. In ESB they gave him his little radar dish. In ROTJ they gave him an electric prod and the lightsaber launcher. :D In TPM they gave him an airbrush thing. And in AOTC he has booster rockets...I guess in Episode III he'll have miniguns that pop out of his side! :) R2 got the radar dish and periscope sensor in ESB, but he also got the electro-prod in ESB (it's his arc welder he used to put 3PO back together). The lightsaber lauching and top-door arm for the drink tray were what was added to ROTJ.

What "airbrush thing" is that which R2 had in TPM? If it's his fire-extinguisher, we saw that in ANH and ESB. If not, then I don't know what you're talking about. ;) TPM originally was to have R2 with his 4 barrel-mounted booster rockets but the scene got cut. In AOTC, he had the 2 leg-mounted boosters and he also got a different arm to hold a bowl.

R5-D4 already has guns in his legs in ANH... according to Hasbro. :D

Beast
07-29-2002, 02:55 AM
No, he has an one of those airbrush paint sprayers. He used it to paint the pod for the pod race. I believe it ended up on the deleted scenes though. So, just like the booster rockers in TPM, it didn't happen in the movie, so it's not canon. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

hango fett
07-29-2002, 09:30 AM
is there any way to see r2 use his rooket boosters on the dvd...i thought someone said there was a while ago....
h.

Pendo
07-29-2002, 09:38 AM
You can see him fall off the edge but you don't see him use his boosters. You can see him fall off the edge in one of Lynne's diarys and on the blooper reel. I'm not sure if you can see it anywhere else.

PENDO!

DeadEye
07-29-2002, 09:52 AM
The blooper reel isn't on the DVD, is it? I don't think I ever found that.

billfremore
07-29-2002, 11:45 AM
Actually it is, you just have to access it through the website.

Chewtobacco
07-29-2002, 05:17 PM
Padmé's family?

I think they should have shown Cliegg giving Threepio back to Anakin, I think it would ahve been a simple 20 second scene that would have explained a helluva lot as opposed to "Hey, did they just steal our droid?":D

That's pretty funny! I was just wondering why they needed to take 3PO with them at all. He's just a whiner anyway and could have actually had some practical use if left at the moisture farm. My memory isn't perfect, but I can't remember a single time that 3PO proved valuable at all in the movie.

Beast
07-29-2002, 05:50 PM
Actually it is, you just have to access it through the website.
The blooper reel can be accessed in the following ways. This info is from DVDReview.com. :)

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace
With the big Special Edition release of 'Star Wars: The Phantom Menace,' Lucasfilm is also delivering some hidden features, which are quite exciting and hard to find if you don’t know where to look.

First of all, as you may have noticed, the first disc features 3 different themes for the menu system, which is randomly selected when you insert the disc in your player. However, you can override the randomizer and select which one you want to see. When the FBI warning appears, press the '2' key on your remote control to activate the Tatooine theme. Press the 'Audio' button to activate the Naboo theme and press the '2' button twice to select the Coruscant menu theme.

Also, on the first disc, go to the 'Options' menu and type '1138' using your remote control. On some player models you will have to press '10+', '1' and wait for the pause as the player accepts the input. Then press '3' and wait for the pause. Finally, press '8'. This will take you to some incredible bloopers from the movie, complete with DVD credits. If that doesn’t work either, simply directly access Title 3 on the disc.

Now insert the second disc of the set, and go to the 'Deleted Scenes and Documentaries' menu screen. Once there, select 'Deleted Scenes Only' and on the page that says 'Complete Podrace Grid Sequence,' highlight the 'Doc Menu' and then press the 'Right' arrow key on your remote control to highlight a small button. Now press 'Enter' and you’ll see a video clip on the making of the Podrace sequence.

Now, in the same 'Deleted Scenes' menu, browse to the 'Extended Podrace Lap 2' page. Once again, highlight 'Doc Menu' and press the 'Right' arrow key to select the button. This will give you access to a featurette covering the extended podrace sequence and elements that have been removed.

Many of the menus on the disc also contain time-outs. This means, if you wait for a while without doing anything, certain events may happen. In the 'TV Spots' menu for example, Darth Sidious will appear saying 'We must accelerate our plans!' In the Animatics menu, Watto will appear after some time, asking you to pick something or get out of the store.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

starwars92570
10-24-2002, 04:20 PM
I though that the DVD would inculde the scene where Ki Adi and Plo Koon go into the Battleship Core!

Battle Droid
10-24-2002, 04:25 PM
Me too, sadly it doesn't. :(

Beast
10-24-2002, 04:25 PM
That was fan boy wishing. Apperantly filming for that scene was never completed, so thats why it wasn't included on the DVD. It's no huge loss anyway. A bigger loss would be the Jocasta Nu "Lost 20" speech, but Lucas mentions in the audio commentary that it was cut for inclusion in Episode III. So again, no big loss. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Battle Droid
10-24-2002, 04:27 PM
Was the Padme putting on C3PO's coverings scene completed?

Beast
10-24-2002, 04:47 PM
Yeah, I believe that that one was completed. Because Anthony Danials was taught how to use the naked C-3PO puppet for the new movie. Why it wasn't included is anyones guess. Likely because it differs from how the movie plays out, because C-3PO already has his coverings in the final movie. So we'll probably never see deleted scenes that don't mesh with continuity. Like Obi-Wan's talk with Luke on Dagobah that mentions Owen being Obi's brother. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks