PDA

View Full Version : ESB chain of events confusion

brentfett
07-19-2002, 12:47 PM
I've always wondered this. In ESB, obviously Luke's X-Wing and the Millennium Falcon split up after Hoth. Now, Han and crew are attacked immediately, then there's the whole asteroid scene, limping to Bespin, etc. etc. The entire scenes leading up to Luke landing on Bespin couldn't have been more than a few days TOPS. Well, back on Dagobah, Luke has time to train for at least a few days, fly to Cloud City, and get closer to stopping the escaping Boba Fett than Leia Lando and Chewy. It just seems like way more time passed for Luke and he never would have even been close to making it to Bespin that quick. Any thoughts?

Captain Trips
07-19-2002, 12:51 PM
I've seen this argued other places, and I don't really have any "hard evidence" to back this up, but I think that I've heard that the trip from Hoth to Bespin on the Falcon took about three months (but I have heard as much as a year). They had no hyperdrive and the journey would have taken much, much longer.

icatch9
07-19-2002, 01:20 PM
I don't know anything about time frame, but that seems like an awful long time for Han and Liea to be stuck on the same ship without um..well...you know....makeing babbies :D. After all it is clear that the attraction was there and so are the feelings. But it's a wholesome movie and such things just wouldn't fit in.

Rogue II
07-19-2002, 01:23 PM
I never realized it was that long. I always thought it was a few weeks. But with that time frame, it never made sense to me how Luke learned the ways of the Force that fast.

brentfett
07-19-2002, 01:32 PM
Wow! Three months! No way! That seems so crazy. So Boba tailed the Falcon for three months? I think this may turn out to be one of things that can't really be answered unless Lucas himself addresses it.:crazed:

icatch9
07-19-2002, 02:13 PM
I agree, this is a very debatable topic with no real answer. Often in movies time has no real meaning. So, there is your real life answer. As far as a Star Wars Universe anwer goes.......well, we will never know :D

Captain Trips
07-19-2002, 02:40 PM
Some other things to consider...

1. Fett should have been able to figure out where the Falcon was limping off to since Bespin was about the only thing that was remotely close to Alderaan. This also allows him to tip of the Imps who could set up their ambush.

2. Han kind of gives a clue that the journey would take a long time "It's pretty far, but I think we can make it."

3. They had to travel at sublight speeds, again making the journey take a considerable amount of time.

4. Luke traveled through hyperspace on his journeys to Dagobah and then Cloud City.

I honestly have no idea exactly how long they traveled, but they didn't get there overnight. That much I think, is certain.

jblodgett
07-19-2002, 02:56 PM
This is an issue which has LONG troubled me...

I think it is clear that some time must have passed from the time everyone left Hoth.

First- remember that upon leaving Hoth, Han/Leia were immediately confronted with multiple star destroyers and Imperial fighters. So much so that apparently by the time Luke left Hoth all those forces were gone.

Second- it was never explained just how long Han/Leia spent fleeing the Empire before reaching the asteroid belt. They spent enough time so that Han and Chewie had time to get out of the cockpit and get into the inner workings of the ship in an effort to repair the hyperdrive. For all we know that may have been 3 or 4 hours at least. They then went into the asteroid field and subsequently hid inside the space slug. How long were they in there? A day? An hour? The movie makes it seem like they were there for 5 minutes. But I suspect it was actually longer. At least several hours- possibly several days. They subsequently left the asteroid field, had another run in with the Imperial fleet, and finally floated away with the garbage again. This could easily have been a few more hours. So I think it is entirely reasonable that from the time Han/Leia leave Hoth to the time they are floating away with the garbage-- at the very MINIMUM 24 hours has past. Han then realizes that Bespin is close enough for them to reach without hyperdrive- and they head that way. It is entirely possible that such a trip might have taken a week, or even two. Remember-- Vader/Boba and the Imperial fleet have enough time to bring a garrison of troops to Bespin BEFORE Han/Leia and the Falcon can get there. Then- Han and Leia are lando's guests.. I think there's a decent chance they were on Bespin a week or so BEFORE Vader captured Han. So- now we're looking at Han and Leia being at least 2 or 3 weeks removed from Hoth...

Third-- Luke's x-wing still had hyperdrive. Presumably, he left hoth, crash landed on Dagobah, and eventually figured out who Yoda was- all on the same day. He began training immediately after. Don't forget that "the force is strong" with Luke. He'd already learned to use the force to move his lightsaber. He'd already learned to feel the force to deflect the remote. Perhaps he was a bit more advanced than most other force pupils. Still-- I have ALWAYS been bothered by the idea that Luke may have only been on Dagobah receiving Yoda's training for what-- 3 weeks-- before he left to go fight Vader? And Vader had been training as a Jedi/Sith since he was 10?? 40+ years of training v. 3 weeks of training-- and it's an even fight??

Now-- after seeing Episode II, I sort of thought-- if Yoda is the greatest lightsaber duelist of them all-- maybe Yoda knew exactly what kind of fighting style Anakin (darth vader) fought with, and knew exactly how to teach him to fight it. And maybe Yoda, because he's the greatest lightsaber teacher, has the ability to give somebody a "crash course" in lightsaber fighting. It still smacks in the face of all the earlier movies (Ep. I, II, and III)-- because how could Luke receive a bare minimum of training from a true master and yet still be a match for the likes of Vader and the Emperor. It DID appear that Luke was a pretty quick study... i.e. he's picking up rocks and R2 and moving them around, he's almost able to pick up the x-wing, he's pretty able with a lightsaber when he goes into the tree.. But it just doesn't quite jive for me.

I agree with most of the above posters.. The trip, most certainly, took a while to complete-- especially for the badly damaged Falcon. What I've always wanted to know--- DID THEY WEAR THE SAME CLOTHES EVERY DAY FOR MONTHS???????

brentfett
07-19-2002, 03:58 PM
Yes, I suppose that is the true question!:D

JediTricks
07-20-2002, 01:59 AM
My guess is still 6 weeks.

Here's another thread that discusses this:
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10732
and another:
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4101

Rogue II
07-20-2002, 07:35 AM
The partially operational hyperdrive idea works for me. My only other thought about that is that hey had physics working for them. Remember Sir Isaac Newton? They are in space, which is a vacuum. And an object in motion tends to stay in motion. So, they could have accellerated to a point with sublight engines and drifted part of the way. Yeah, its a longshot.

What do we know about sublight engines? How fast can the Falcon go?

And the Falcon is a big ship. I'm sure they have some sort of laundry machine in there somewhere.:D

BoShek
07-20-2002, 08:13 PM
Can someone ask an expert at starwars.com? Maybe they can fill answer it for us.

DarthBatman
07-21-2002, 01:04 AM
Well, as for Luke being a "quick study".... we know the Force is EXTRMELY strong with him. Anakin was the Chosen One, the Force runs in families... Not to be a smarta**, but..

Father is the Chosen One + Force runs in families = Luke's pretty

darn good at using the Force

Captain Trips
07-21-2002, 10:49 AM
That's another thing too...I always thought that Qui-Gon was WRONG about Anikin beingthe chosen one, that he had missed by a generation. If that were true, Luke would have even more abilities and potential than his father. This could also help explain away the extremely short time he spent training as a Jedi.