PDA

View Full Version : Dooku's Solar Ship

brentfett
07-19-2002, 12:55 PM
I was wondering this:
So did Dooku's solar ship have a hyperdrive? It didn't look like it. And if Geonosis is supposed to be beyond the outer rim like tatooine then just how long would it take hime to reach Coruscant, the center of the galaxy? It seems like it would take forever! Any thoughts?

MikeAndTheBots
07-19-2002, 02:02 PM
Well sometime has to pass between the battle and the end. Everyone is on Coruscant (SP), Anakin and Padme are already on Naboo and the army has already been formally arranged (which is also on Coruscant if I'm not mistaken). It'd take a while to transport hundreds of thousands of people halfway across the galaxy.

pthfnder89
07-19-2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by brentfett
I was wondering this:
So did Dooku's solar ship have a hyperdrive? It didn't look like it. And if Geonosis is supposed to be beyond the outer rim like tatooine then just how long would it take hime to reach Coruscant, the center of the galaxy? It seems like it would take forever! Any thoughts?

It must have passed into hyperspace, they just didn't show it. According to the vehicle cross section book, the Solar Sailor does use a regular hyperdrive just like any other ship; the sails are simply for collecting energy which means it doesn't have to carry it's own fuel.

That brings up one of the things that bothers the heck out of me every time I see AOTC. They show the passenger liner while Padme and Anakin are traveling to Naboo, and it's not in hyperspace!:rolleyes: At the time of that scene, it's already somewhere in the middle of the journey so there is no reason for it not to be traveling at lightspeed. It's a small thing, but it irks me everytime I see it; I wish they had paid a bit more attention to obvious things like that.

Exhaust Port
07-19-2002, 02:40 PM
Perhaps it had to drop out of hyperspace to turn/manuever around an impassible object. ie black hole If you read any of the EU books you know that as soon as ship encounters a large enough gravity well that it drops out of hyperspace. For this reason the Empire developed those Star Destroyers that are just huge gravity generators to force passing ships out of hyperspace. Their name eludes me right now.

I've always assumed that a long enough hyperspace journey would require a ship to drop out of hyperspace several times to maneuver around space debre or something. Remember, "this ain't like dusting crops."

brentfett
07-19-2002, 04:01 PM
Are they those Interdictor Star Destroyers?

DarthBatman
07-19-2002, 11:50 PM
I'm pretty sure they're called Interdictor Cruisers... but I could be wrong, I suppose.

Obi-Don
07-28-2002, 05:59 AM
I was wondering about Dooku's ship to. I thought it was pretty cool to introduce a solar sail into the movie. I guess it would have to have some type of drive to get where its going before the passengers died of old age.

LTBasker
07-28-2002, 01:56 PM
Especiallly Dooku, he was already pretty old. :D

Jek Porky 2002
08-03-2002, 07:57 AM
I want to know what that thing that comes out of it is, is it some knid of parachute?

Pendo
08-03-2002, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Jek Porky 2002
I want to know what that thing that comes out of it is, is it some knid of parachute?

No it's the solar sail!

PENDO!

Jek Porky 2002
08-03-2002, 08:06 AM
What's a solar sail?

Pendo
08-03-2002, 08:11 AM
It gets energy from light and propels the ship forward. Thats all I know about it really, I'm not a rocket scientist. I wish I was though.

PENDO!

Jek Porky 2002
08-03-2002, 09:37 AM
Oh, right, thinking about it now, it couldn't have been a parachute because there is no air in space.

Pendo
08-03-2002, 09:40 AM
It might work as a parachute if his ship breaks down in the atmosphere of a planet, it might bring his ship slowly back down to the ground. I don't think he's brave enough to actually try it though!

PENDO!

Jek Porky 2002
08-03-2002, 09:44 AM
It could do.

Darth Marra 54
08-06-2002, 05:06 PM
I think Dooku has a Solar Sail is because Lucas thought it looked cool

Darth Marra 54
08-06-2002, 05:07 PM
And it did look cool too!