PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro's Ultimate Articulated Figure Plan.

icatch9
07-19-2002, 02:50 PM
I think that Hasbro knows we want super articulated figures. How could they not? I'm sure that's all they hear from fans and emails and the likes. Anyway, we do get them. We do, but only in sperts. Actually more like 1 maybe two a year.

Think about it........

The CTC Luke Skywalker was perhaps the Ulitmate ANH Luke Skywalker. He could be used in any sceen from the Tuskin Attack to the Death Star Escape.

Then with that same line we got the Ultimate Stormtrooper. Who looks as good standing at attention as it does shot dead on the ground.

Then POTJ came out and they seemed to forget about it. They got some bad advice and thought we collectors would like pre posed figures that don't do anything. They are probally about
50 % right. Half of us don't care about articulation and the other half cares a lot. Funny thing is the half that doesn't care wouldn't care if they where all super articulated. (alright, I made some of that up, but this isn't exactly a science )

::rolleyes: :confused:

Now we have the Ultimate Chewbacca. I opened this figure the other day (one of the few I opened, but I needed him to replace my mechanic Chewy on my OT figuer chess set). He's great! He's got 9 poinst of articulation that Hasbro feels the need to advertise on the back of the package. Sure he can't sit like the Dejarik Champ Chewy, but beggers cannot be choosers.

So my theory is that Hasbro just does one of these every so often. I mean if they did them all that way we wouldn't have anything to complain about, and that just wouldn't be very good for the hobby, now would it :stupid: .

Jargo
07-19-2002, 02:53 PM
And....?

pthfnder89
07-19-2002, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by icatch9
I think that Hasbro knows we want super articulated figures. How could they not? I'm sure that's all they hear from fans and emails and the likes. Anyway, we do get them. We do, but only in sperts. Actually more like 1 maybe two a year...

...So my theory is that Hasbro just does one of these every so often. I mean if they did them all that way we wouldn't have anything to complain about, and that just wouldn't be very good for the hobby, now would it :stupid: .

Well yes, but I think you might be missing the point. It's not as though Hasbro is simply saying to itself "Well, I know the fans want articulated figures, but we just don't feel like doing that."

The reason that different figures have different amounts of articulation is that the more joints a figures has the more expensive it is to make. Say an average background figure like Djas Puhr costs around $0.75 to make. Few joints, small acessories, uncomplicated paint job. Then Chewbacca comes along and he probably costs $1.50 to manufacture. Nearly twice as much, but it's ok because when you average the two figures the manufacturing price is doable.

Hasbro (and many companies) save money on some figures in order to go overboard on others. But if every single figure had 16 joints and a huge accessory, they would go broke in no time.

icatch9
07-19-2002, 03:10 PM
That's good info, but I knew that. I was being.....how you say..........funny. I guess it didn't come across that way. Oh well.
Yes, I agree that the reason why we don't get super articualtion every day is becasuse of the cost.:D ;)

Lord Tenebrous
07-19-2002, 03:14 PM
The new Anakin and Maul had potential to be great articulated figures, but their action features eliminate utility.

And while you mention cents for articulation, these action features probably cost a good deal more, for parts, assembly and testing. The eye and neck strain doing these things must be bad...

Alas, I feel that we'll get back to a good mixture soon. Standard articulation for background characters, and the works for main favorites.

hango fett
07-19-2002, 03:14 PM
your right, icatch9. we need alot more w/ articulation. i'm sitting here and fidiling around with my JSP obi-wan and thinking "i wsih he had some waist articulation instead of the gimmik." but all in all he's cool. they just need to step away from gimmiks and go to articulation.

LTBasker
07-19-2002, 04:27 PM
They any articulation above the basic as 30 points of articulation, they don't listen when we say a lower amount. All they do is just rationalize something with exaggerated comments..