PDA

View Full Version : UFO anyone?

SID
07-19-2002, 10:59 PM
This is a bit off subject but if anyone is interested in a fun sci-fi T.V. show,checkout Gerry Andersons UFO. ;)
Its now available for the first time in U.S. on dvd,digitly remastered from the original film negative.:D

This show first aired in England in 1970, sometime later in the U.S. CBS aired it on a prime time slot and the nationwide viewer rating for the show was at #1 for 17 weeks!
Then for some odd reason CBS began airing the show at 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning!:confused:and of course the shows ratings fell and only 26 one hour episodes were made. :cry:

A conspiracy is still talked about by some today why CBS handled the show the way it did, after all when this show was in development,the investigations on real UFO's "Project Bluebook" was being wrapped up. :sur:

I got box set #1 containing 13 one hour episodes plus a few extra's at (deepdiscountdvd.com) for $42.53 and free shipping,everybody else is selling them for almost $80.00?

Anyways check it out for yourselves the special effects,ships and vehicles are pretty cool for a 1970 show. ;) I remember 5 years ago I was trying to lobby Lewis Galoob toys
for AF & MM product for this show but sadly it didn't happen.:(

good shot jansen
07-20-2002, 02:58 PM
i remember when it was on saturday nights on abc back in 1970! (when did i git so old?)

anyway, dinky had made some die-cast vehicles from this show back in 1970. they had made the interceptor, shado tank, and sams car. these were some of my favorite toys as a kid.

what 1st attracted me to action fleet was that they were in the same scale as the dinky die-casts from back then.

you can find them up for auction on ebay, but they usually go for quite a bit of scratch.

britcit3
07-20-2002, 05:16 PM
Hey

One of my fave pieces is a Gerry Anderson creation......

A die cast MM sized EAGLE from SPACE 1999.

You see the larger (7"") EAGLES on Ebay all of the time, but I have never seen my 2"" version, so I think that it is quite rare.

If you want to see it, it's on my site (somewhere??).

Cheers

Bc3

sith_killer_99
07-20-2002, 06:26 PM
WOW, why have I never heard of this show?

I understand that I wasn't even born in 1970, but come on. What about syndication, didn't ANYONE here in the states want to rerun a 26 episode series that was #1 for 17 WEEKS!?!?

This sounds like a great series. Maybe if enough people show interest the Sci-Fi channel will consider running with it.

Anyway, I will DEFINATLE be checking this out.:D

Thanks for the info!;)

SID
07-20-2002, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by good shot jansen
i remember when it was on saturday nights on abc back in 1970! (when did i git so old?)

anyway, dinky had made some die-cast vehicles from this show back in 1970. they had made the interceptor, shado tank, and sams car. these were some of my favorite toys as a kid.

what 1st attracted me to action fleet was that they were in the same scale as the dinky die-casts from back then.

you can find them up for auction on ebay, but they usually go for quite a bit of scratch.

GSJ,

It was commander Straker's car and not Sam's car from the supermarionation T.V. show "Joe 90".;)
The diecast Dinky toys will always be one of favorites aswell as the Corgi toyline,hey I know how you feel I was 7 years old in 1970 DAWG!:p

SID
07-20-2002, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by britcit3
Hey

One of my fave pieces is a Gerry Anderson creation......

A die cast MM sized EAGLE from SPACE 1999.

You see the larger (7"") EAGLES on Ebay all of the time, but I have never seen my 2"" version, so I think that it is quite rare.

If you want to see it, it's on my site (somewhere??).

Cheers

Bc3

BRITCIT,

2 great people from England I admire very much Gerry Anderson and special effects man Derek Meddings who worked with Gerry for many years and sadly died a few years ago.:(

Working together both these guys did some very enjoyable T.V. shows that I grewup watching UFO,Space:1999, Captain Scarlet,Stingray etc. etc.;)

The 2 inch Eagle you mentioned,is it the white metal and brass kit from the hobby shop- Comet Miniatures London?

SID
07-20-2002, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
WOW, why have I never heard of this show?

I understand that I wasn't even born in 1970, but come on. What about syndication, didn't ANYONE here in the states want to rerun a 26 episode series that was #1 for 17 WEEKS!?!?

This sounds like a great series. Maybe if enough people show interest the Sci-Fi channel will consider running with it.

Anyway, I will DEFINATLE be checking this out.:D

Thanks for the info!;)

SK99,

The show did run in syndication in 1970's and 1980's in some states on the east coast and midwest U.S. but for some reason it did not get much air time on west coast.

When the SCI-FI channel was just starting out in the early 1990's UFO did get some air time but again at weird hours of the day like at 4 or 5 in the morning?:rolleyes:

britcit3
07-21-2002, 03:06 AM
Eh up SID

No it is not the comet version - it's a solid prebuilt die cast.

it is about 2.5 inches long and instead of landing feet, it has wheels (slight bummer).

As I say, I have only ever seen this once (and I bagged it on Ebay for 30), so I think that this is rare.

It way unopened when I got it - I wish I had kept the packing.

Anyway, here is the pic.....

Cheers

BC3

jeddah
07-21-2002, 04:34 AM
..I'm glad you posted that pic, because I thought you were referring to the corgi/matchbox 3" Eagle. It was the same but the white jib was made of plastic and the head was bright bottle green. It was always getting lost in the grass :)

I seem to remember 2 versions of the larger Eagle....didn't one have a blue head and the other had a green one?

I used to play with my friend's spaceships when I was a kid. BTW, there were 3 kids in my family and we'd moved down from Newcastle to the South when I was very young so my parents were pretty hard up. In fact my play rotation { ;) GSJ }consisted of James Bond's White S1 Lotus Esprit, Moonraker Shuttle, Starsky and Hutch car, Saint car and my prized possession, my Dinky Thunderbird 2 :):). The only figures I had were R2-D2 & C-3P0, and from The Black Hole; Captain S.T.A.R , red Centurian, VINCENT and Maximillian.

I never had any SW vehick-ulls and Mark Doyle (an only child) down the road used to bring over his massive collection of DC SW ships and we had loads of great battles. The only ships I had were the cheap Cylon Spaceship and Stellar something (figures = Cylon and Ovion warrior) and so they were rarely played with - I was anal about canon even at age 5 - 11, I guess :D

My next door neighbour, Simon was a spoilt only child and he used to come round just to show off. I hated him. Still do ;). He had everything from BSG and SW and all the Space Lego.

...well, seeing as we were OT :p

jeddah

good shot jansen
07-21-2002, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by jeddah
play rotation[/i] { ;) GSJ }consisted of James Bond's White S1 Lotus Esprit, Moonraker Shuttle, Starsky and Hutch car, Saint car and my prized possession, my Dinky Thunderbird 2

i loved the corgi movie/tv cars, my fav was always the toyota 2000 gt form you only live twice! the 2nd version db5 (the slightly larger grey one) was also neeto-keeno, with the added features of the changing license plates and tire shredders in the spokes of the back wheels. (i recall i had forsaken my 1st released version, the smaller gold one, once i had me mitts on the new one).

the green hornets black beauty was fabuloue as well.

the avengers set with steeds bently and ms. peels lotus was fun too.

i remember once when i was 8 or 9, we were living in london, cause my dad was going for his certification for his royal institute of brittish architecture, he had taken me into hanley's (man that joint was huge, is it still there?), anyway, i could buy wahtever dinky or corgi set i wanted, and i chose the daktari african safari set, complete with clarence the cross eyed lion wearing his glasses!. i loved that set.

sigh........well we all know how this story ends. i sure hope whatever landfill my old collection is sitting in is happy with it:mad:

yorkie
07-24-2002, 07:05 AM
Have a look at the following websites for more info and screencaps of UFO.

http://www.framecaplib.com/ufolib.htm

http://ufoseries.com/

http://www.ufotv.it/

Have fun.
Yorkie

SID
07-24-2002, 11:43 PM
Hey YORKIE,thankyou very much for those UFO fan links,great stuff!:D

SID
08-11-2002, 03:27 PM
Gerry Anderson's UFO box sets 1 & 2 and Captain Scarlet boxset.:D

SID