PDA

View Full Version : SSG BATTLE OF THE MACHINES Semi-Finals - Fight 1

Tycho
07-20-2002, 04:11 AM
We're down to only 8 ships or vehicles before one, and exactly one will claim the Championship Title as the Ultimate, Best Hasbro Star Wars Toy of All-Time!

A trend has been developing that seems to favor Imperial hardware in these matches. Tonight is no exception as the first round of the SEMI-FINALS pits the AT-AT against the AT-ST.

The AT-AT narrowly defeated the Millennium Falcon 109-99 with 52% of 208 votes. With armor too strong for blasters, the towering Imperial Walker could probably carry over a half-dozen snowtrooper action figures into combat in its troop carrier section, while under the command of the exclusive packed-in AT-AT Driver and AT-AT Commander (as close as we've come to General Veers' proper figure) seated in the cockpit. From there they can command the fully poseable behemoth machine's 4 giant legs, jointed in three points of articulation on each. Covering them, are the remote operated chin guns that fire with the air-piercing sound effects and red "laser" flashes one would come to expect from the firepower of this war machine. But that's not all: side-mounted anti-aircraft cannons feature missle tubes with launching projectiles capable of descimating any Rebel defenses! A remote lever in the transport section controls the aiming and directional tracking of the metal beasts head, and a electronic, backlit communications and tactical station replays dialog from the movie, and features the bone-crunching thunder a walker's legs make in action, as well as the terror-striking sound of many needle-like barrages of the walker's smaller artillery cannons.

The AT-ST as originally released featured a "remote control button" that let you make the scoutwalker's legs pump up and down like it was marching into battle or stomping on your Rebel action figures and those Ewoks! Twin side-cannons click and offer anti-aircraft defense for the walker - though one of them was supposed to be a grenade launcher and this oversight was never corrected when the AT-ST was re-released for the modern line. A twin-barrel nose cannon offers anti-personnel assualt capabilities while the control cockpit holds one action figure (not included). A "tank top" hatch opens and allows the pilot to scout out the situation, or use the hand-blaster cannon mounted on the top deck (though this was never seen in the movies). The ATST defeated both the Trade Federation's AAT Tank and Jabba The Hutt's criminal organization's Tatooine Skiff managing to take away 69% of the votes from both of the other vehicles - even while facing them at the same time! The AT-ST won with 51% of the 135 votes.

Now only 1 of these two great war machines will go on to make it to the Final Round to decide the all-time best.

Which one will it be?

Your choice!

JediTricks
07-20-2002, 04:29 AM
Rerelease vs rerelease: I feel that the AT-AT is the superior rerelease but not in an exciting way, simply in a "less bad" way. ;)

Rogue II
07-20-2002, 07:48 AM
Gotta go with the AT-AT. I dig it. I never got it when I was a kid, but I picked up the modern version. There are a bunch of cool features. My dog freaks out when I activate its sounds.

Funny thing: I paid $30 for the AT-ST/speederbike combo this year. I only paid $25 for the AT-AT during the great POTF2 clearance sale.

The True Maul
07-20-2002, 08:28 AM
The AT AT is the best, Great Vehicle!!!! :cool: :)

Eternal Padawan
07-20-2002, 10:13 AM
C'mon what kind of matchup is that? AT-AT creams AT-ST in every which way. That's like sending Darth Vader up against an ugnaught.

I wanna hear from the three crackers that voted AT-ST. Defend your choice!

stillakid
07-20-2002, 10:19 AM
One of my personal favorite toys has always been the AT AT. I wanted one as a kid and had to wait nearly 20 years to get one.

It's a great toy. Seats two comfortably (old and new versions) with plenty of storage in the back for those long road trips. I wish they had left the vintage style motorized pulsing guns but it's still pretty cool. Now, if only it could walk on it's own...

The AT ST is okay, but has never been one of my favorites. The new ones especially have trouble standing on their ownl, what with the cheap plastic they use anymore. Seats only one. The walking feature is kinda cool, but also clunky at the same time. It doesn't so much walk as run in place.

My vote is with the AT AT.

LusiferSam
07-20-2002, 10:28 AM
AT-AT all the way. Its features look, work and act much better then the AT-ST's. The lager size is great. Even if it's not to scale it still towers of the figures. The new electrons do add to its appeal. My problem with the AT-
ST is the running in pace thing. 20 years ago it might have been cool, but not today.

Rogue II
07-20-2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
C'mon what kind of matchup is that? AT-AT creams AT-ST in every which way. That's like sending Darth Vader up against an ugnaught.

I wanna hear from the three crackers that voted AT-ST. Defend your choice!

WOO HOO! Go Ugnaught!!!! Kick that Sith Lord behind.:crazed:

Where are those 3 that voted for the AT-ST?

Will this poll get cut short due to a skunk rule if the AT-AT continues to dominate?

Needles
07-20-2002, 12:10 PM
I voted for the AT-AT,it looks cooler,and more roomier than the At-At.I have nothing more to say.

Tycho
07-20-2002, 04:30 PM
There could be some ridiculous match-ups in the final fights, just because of who's still in the final rounds, and who was eliminated.

Like my feature post said, the AT-AT already fought and won out over the Millennium Falcon.

Each movie seems to have its super-size scale vehicle, a category the AT-AT clearly qualifies to represent The Empire Strikes Back for.

Unfortunately, ROTJ's (The Shuttle Tyderium) and AOTC's (The Republic Gunship) are not out yet, and therefore disqualified since no one's played with these things to date yet. While I have a vintage shuttle, essentially the same thing, many do not because of the rarity and cost involved (not that FAO's price or quantity ordered helps the matter :rolleyes: ).

So, only The Phantom Menace's Naboo Royal Starship can really fit this category, and the Millennium Falcon had already defeated it by the time the Falcon qualified to challenge the AT-AT.

The walker's first match was the snowspeeder, seemingly appropriate because it was a movie match.

Now, I'm trying to keep the land vehicles together.

1) We have a huge and active Classic Starfighter group that has managed to challenge and contain itself in its own Dog Fight battles with 4 Rebel ships and 4 Imperial ones. We're down to only 2 of them now.

2) Lightweight vehicles like the speederbike had 8 crafts in their category and we're down to just 2 again there.

3) Finally, there was a good number of mid-size fighters and freighters from the Prequels and Expanded Universe that could've claimed around 8 crafts to fit in that category, and we're down to only 2 ships there.

We will declare 4 winners after the Semi-Finals, but we can keep going through the Finals and the Championship, though the AT-AT will no doubt crush almost any competition.

I think it would make sense to pit the Top Dog out of all the Classic Starfighters against the winner of the Mid-size Prequel Fighters, but that would leave the AT-AT, surely the champion heavyweight, to face the best of the best from amongst the Lightweights.

If we split up the fightercraft, the only way they will face each other in a final match would be if whichever one faces the AT-AT, defeats it. This might be possible for one or two of our starfighter winners, however, it would still leave the speederbike against a vastly larger and more superior vehicle.

Your suggestions are welcome.

Darth Tornado
07-20-2002, 10:30 PM
AT-AT all the way. Not only is the AT-AT one of my favorite all time vehicles(watching the scene where you first see the AT-ATs marching towards echo base still gives me chills) but the toy is really cool (from what Ive seen of it I dont own the toy:cry: )
The AT-AT comes with moving gun turrets cool sounds and 2 figures(and the AT-AT commander is still only available with the AT-AT). So I think the AT-AT has a good chance of making it to the top and it definatly beats the in my opinion the cheapy AT-ST

bigbarada
07-21-2002, 02:02 AM
Kind of a lopsided contest, isn't it?

I voted AT-AT cuz I don't think I would have been able to live with myself otherwise.

Eternal Padawan
07-21-2002, 03:45 AM
So what you're saying Tycho, is that the AT-AT is going to be the inevitable winnah? That's kind of a let down. It's like telling us a prize fight is fixed. :( Well, not exactly, but basing your theory on extrapolation of the performances of the other semi-finalists against the performance of the AT-AT in it's last two outings (as you said, it beat the Falcon!) leads you to the inevitable conclusion that no matter what the outcomes of the other three semi finals and the Superbowl, the AT-AT will win. Hmmph.

And why isn't this the sticky poll instead of the last quarter final match?

JediTricks
07-21-2002, 04:34 AM
Honestly, I would rather not assume the AT-AT is going to win over the others, I wanna see proof because I don't think it's THAT great a toy.

BTW, I "stuck" this thread.

Tycho
07-21-2002, 04:59 AM
I think JediTricks caught the sticky-poll issue and switched it for me, because it's correct now.

To JediTricks I say "Thanks!"

To everyone, um..."Whoops!" :sur:

As to the AT-AT, the fights are not "fixed," however the Royal Starship and the Falcon did provide the most direct challenge to the walker as these were equally large, almost playset-type vehicles. If either of these other 2 starcrafts would have won, they too would be very tough to beat in the final challenges. Since they each had their shot, I'd say the AT-AT is getting no special treatment regardless of whether the fight against the AT-ST is a pretty easy shot at the Finals for this behemoth war machine.

But superiority in sculpt, firing features, or virtue of being the hero's vehicle could be factors in defeating the AT-AT. All I'm saying is it's going to be very tough competition.

stillakid
07-21-2002, 10:27 AM
What's a "sticky"?

Eternal Padawan
07-21-2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
What's a "sticky"?

Threads that stay at the top of the list, regardless of when it was last posted in. Kind of like SirSteves 'Respect other people' threads or 'How did you find SirStevesGuide?" in the misc section. It ''sticks" to the top of the list, therefore it is ''sticky".

"Fixed" was a bad analogy. Let's just say the AT-AT is shaping up to be the Lance Armstrong of the BattleTime polls.

NiktosRule
07-21-2002, 01:45 PM
Since I don't have the AT-AT I have to vote for what I do have, the AT-ST. AT-AT was too expensive and I never saw it during the sales so I can't vote for it. I hope to get it one day soon maybe for Christmas but I don't have it yet so I can't vote for it.

Rogue II
07-21-2002, 02:31 PM
Hey Tycho,

When this tournament is over, are you going to send the results to Toyfare Magazine to show them that Star Wars fans don't think the Queen's Starship is the best Star Wars toy ever?

Tycho
07-21-2002, 06:51 PM
LOL. Maybe I should send it to Toy Fair.

However, we don't know how well-liked the Queen's ship really is. All we know is our readers prefer the Millennium Falcon, and we might be sound in making it an educated guess, that since many of you all like the AT-AT more than the Falcon, this majority would continue to vote the AT-AT over the Royal Starship.

But the Snowspeeder lost to the AT-AT, and we have no idea whether it is liked more or less than the Royal Starship. That was never polled.

So when this is all over, regardless of what vehicle wins, I'll give you guys the option of having ranking matches. What I'm trying to figure out is how the heck do I set that up, with 32 vehicles in the mix???

By the way, ranking matches could be done in groups of 8 going at it for each round, narrowing it down in 7 ranking matches within categories.

An alternative would be doing the Star Wars Beast Wars.

I'll do a poll on that after we have our Championship.

jedi master sal
07-22-2002, 01:07 PM
I had to go with the AT-AT.

Very big toy. Okay so the legs need work staying in their hip joint slots, but hey we get not one but two figures and electronics to boot.

I got three of them whe they went on sale for $10 at TRU and only bought one AT-ST. The AT-ST is cool don't get me wrong but the size and pack-ins of the AT-AT make this battle a decidely lop-sided one.

dr_evazan22
07-22-2002, 02:17 PM
I went w/ the AT-AT also. I would vote for the original or the POTF2 version. Electronics, pack-ins - GREAT!
The only problem I have w/ it is the scale is too small!

jdmarlow
07-22-2002, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
So when this is all over, regardless of what vehicle wins, I'll give you guys the option of having ranking matches. What I'm trying to figure out is how the heck do I set that up, with 32 vehicles in the mix???

By the way, ranking matches could be done in groups of 8 going at it for each round, narrowing it down in 7 ranking matches within categories.

An alternative would be doing the Star Wars Beast Wars.

I'll do a poll on that after we have our Championship.

That's a great idea. We need a ranking system so that the tournament gives some sort of clear dipiction of an actual favorite. How would you decide the rankings, though? Perhaps a preliminary ranking poll, prerequisite to the actual tournament.

JediTricks
07-22-2002, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by jdmarlow
That's a great idea. We need a ranking system so that the tournament gives some sort of clear dipiction of an actual favorite. How would you decide the rankings, though? Perhaps a preliminary ranking poll, prerequisite to the actual tournament. Excellent point, something Tycho and I have been hashing out for MONTHS with few answers. Part of the problem is that it could end up looking exactly like the BOTM poll results the way the movie favorites threads did so getting interest back would be difficult. Another part of the prob is that there are a lot of ships so it can't be one or two polls.

-JediMaster-Yoda-
07-25-2002, 08:30 AM
at-at all the way

Regai
07-29-2002, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Excellent point, something Tycho and I have been hashing out for MONTHS with few answers. Part of the problem is that it could end up looking exactly like the BOTM poll results the way the movie favorites threads did so getting interest back would be difficult. Another part of the prob is that there are a lot of ships so it can't be one or two polls.

Hmm... can you do a form, or something similar? Basically, ask what the top 10 fav ships are then do weighted scoring. 10 pts for each #1, 9 for each #2, etc. With enough respondants you would have a pretty clear idea what the overall opinion is. May have to do this off of the main page and not in the forums (but that would lead to more votes as well... not a bad thing if your going to send it to ToyFare or some such)

Anyway, just an idea, use or not, it matters little.

Tycho
07-30-2002, 02:40 AM
Our poll system is set up to allow for multiple choice questions where you can select only one answer (which we offer) or we can do a poll that lets you pick multiple answers.

i.e.

only 1 of:

a)
b)
c)
d)

or

1, or all of:

a)
b)
c)
d)

I don't know how to do the programming to change it to offer any other kind of setup, and it's not currently able to offer anything else anyway. Plus, it's a standardized access form and I'm only authorized to fill in the blanks (creatively, I hope).

So, there's no way to order your choices, or allow write-ins.

The only 2 choices you have are what is listed above with 2 to as many answers as you want possible for the offering.

Tycho
08-16-2002, 02:03 PM
OK, are you guys ready? The Final Rounds are about to start!