PDA

View Full Version : The A-Team -The Movie!

Tycho
07-20-2002, 06:20 AM
Looks like this is happening. 2003 - It will be an all-new cast though.

First because George Peppard (Colonel Hannibal Smith) is passed on, most unfortunately.

Second, because I'm not sure Dirk Benedict (Lt. Templeton "Face-man" Peck) is still young enough to be a ladies' man and not a "grandmas' man." But I'm really not sure in that case.

However, Mr. T (Sgt. B.A. Baracus) looks just like his old self in his phone company commercials and Dwight Schultz (Capt. "Howling Mad" Murdock) is also active and well (recently Cmdr. Barclay in Star Trek - testimony to his ability to perform).

Besides, stunt guys always did the 8 car crashes in 60 seconds for the old shows anyway.

But I just don't think it will be the same without the original crew.

Your thoughts?

Who would you cast?

Jim Carrey as Murdock could work. Maybe.

Only Mr. T could pull off B.A.'s character, though! I don't know of another good black actor who's built like that. Michael Dorn (Worf -Star Trek)?

Could Sam Neil (Jurassic Park) play Hannibal. He'd look right with the cigar. I just don't know if he could play the character. What about Tommy Lee Jones?

Dirk Benedict (Starbuck then Face-Man) would be hard to replace, too. Micheal Bien? (Terminator and Aliens?) What about Ewan McGreggor (Obi-Wan Kenobi)?

QLD
07-20-2002, 08:38 AM
I like Bill Paxton for Face's part for some reason.

Sean Connery as Hannibal

Jim Carrey as Murdock would work i think.

I can't think of anyone to replace Mr. T, maybe Michael Clark Duncan, or Benny Hill in his Mr. T costume.

And Tommy Lee Jones as Colonel Decker.

However, they are probably better going with mostly unknowns.

Eternal Padawan
07-20-2002, 09:31 AM
A-Team Introduction
In 1972 a crack comando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles Underground.
Today , still wanted by the government they survive as solders of fortune. So, if you have a problem, if no one else can help and if you can find them, maybe you can hire..... THE A -TEAM

"I love it when a plan comes together."--Colonel Hannibal Smith:D

Mel Gibson would make a great Hannibal Smith.

Ving Rhames would do a mean B.A. Baracus.

Greg Kinnear would make a suitable prettyboy Face. or maybe Nicky Katt or Paul Rudd. It's tough to gauge the age factor in a movie like this.

Howlin Mad Murdock? hmmm...so many ways to play it. Matt McCounaghy? Vince Vaughn? Viggo Mortensen? I'm always for casting against type. Jim Carrey is too much of a scene hog to be in an ensemble pic like this one.

Stephen J Cannell said he would like Mr T. to cameo in the film, but he didn't say anything about Benedict or Schultz. hmmm.

And don't forget to cast Col. Decker and Col Lynch.! You can't have the A-team without William Lucking and Lance Legault.

For some reason I picture James Rebhorn in that role...

derek
07-20-2002, 11:53 AM
for some reason, i think this film will be a huge stinker like the hogan hero's movie. while the TV show now seems slightly cheesy, it was good for it's time and served it's purpose.

as a kid i loved the TV show, but i have no desire to see a big screen version of this. maybe a 2 hour TV movie reuniting the original cast, but not a feature film.

billfremore
07-20-2002, 12:24 PM
I had heard rumours about the casting a while back this is what I heard:

Mel Gibson as Hannibal
Owen Wilson as Howling Mad Murdoch
and
Brendan Frasier as Faceman

Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the actor they wanted for B.A. but I can't remember his name. He wasn't a big name though.

Exhaust Port
07-20-2002, 01:07 PM
It wouldn't be the same with different actors. Just broadcast the original series more frequently and I'll be happy.

Eternal Padawan
07-20-2002, 03:14 PM
EEugh. Owen Wilson keeps playing himself in every movie he's in. I could see Brendan Fraser as Face.

billfremore
07-20-2002, 03:36 PM
The more I think about it, nobody except for Mr. T could ever be B.A. Baracus.

I aint gettin' on no plane Hannibal.

That's okay B.A., here drink my milk...

jet chan
07-20-2002, 03:54 PM
the only thing i can say to this is is that the show was ok and that its way past its time and it would take a lot to make it a decent movie.

Tycho
07-20-2002, 04:57 PM
Bill Paxton was the President in ID4, right?

He would make a great "Face Man!"

If Jim Carrey could be 'controlled,' he's so right for Murdock. It would help sell the show to his fans, and also keep it tongue-in-cheek because no one is supposed to take the A-Team too seriously.

Now, remember Tommy Lee Jones in J.F.K. as Clay Shaw? He also played a pretty convincing Viet Nam Vet in Heaven and Earth. As Two-Face in Batman Forever he played a more over-the-top character like Hannibal.

You know who also could be good, if you kept him more serious, is Bill Murray. He has to play a dramatic character, because otherwise he'll still come out funny. But I could see him in all those crazy disguises of Hannibal's!

Because George Peppard is dead, they cannot reunite the whole cast again. Like I said, the other 3 returning would be the first way I'd go.

Hope B.A.'s van and Face's Vette are still the same. I loved those cars!

Could Jack Nicholson play Hannibal?

jet chan
07-20-2002, 05:22 PM
actually it was bill pullman but ya he'd make an interesting face man.
but i love the idea of having bill murrey play hannibal he'd be perfect as long as he doesn't go over the top.

sith_killer_99
07-20-2002, 08:58 PM
I like some of the ideas being kicked around here.

I was also thinking Ving Rhames for the part of B.A. Baracus! I thing he would be perfect! Here's my 2 cents:

R. Lee Ermey(sp?)--Hannibal
Bill Pullman (ID4 President)--Face
Matthew MaCounaghy(SP?)--Howlin' Mad Murdock
Ving Rhames--B.A. Baracus

R. Lee Ermey, I believe is the name of the Drill Sgt. from Full Metal Jacket. I can just see him as being able to pull off the "I love it when a plan comes together." line. Besides he has the military background and he has played in several smaller roles. I think he would be a MUCH better choice than Mel.

derek
07-20-2002, 09:14 PM
i think sith killer 99 has a pretty good cast.:) no way mel gibson and jim carrey will be in the same film. that would be $50 million in just their salaries.:)

tycho,

you're thinking of bill pullman who was the president in ID4. bill paxton was in "aliens", "true lies" and "a simple plan".

Tycho
07-21-2002, 02:36 AM
Right. I'm a fan of both these actors for the movies you cited, but I do want Bill Pullman (ID4) to play Face. He looks like Dirk Benedict, and acts like Face, too.

Would somebody get this man a white Corvette? :D

Deckard Smith
07-21-2002, 02:55 AM
I was a big fan of George Peppard before he did ATeam. Does anyone remember Banacek? I really enjoyed that show. I can't really see anyone replacing George Peppard in that role. I guess it depends if you're casting Hannibal or casting Peppard. I can see Gibson doing Peppard in that role, but maybe not so much making the role his own. You'd be better off with a different actor.

Beast
07-21-2002, 03:30 AM
Why not go with unknowns for most of the roles? I see Tycho playing Face. If you have seen his picture in the post your picture thing, he's got that Pretty Boy/ T.V. Weatherman look to him. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
07-21-2002, 04:45 AM
While I'm flattered you have confidence in my acting ability, JarJar

1) I wish I was as successful with the ladies as the real "Face Man"

and

2) I'm not sure all the A-Team fans would appreciate my take on remaking the series:

sith_killer_99
07-21-2002, 09:41 AM
LOL

The mouse droid strikes again.:eek:

scruffziller
07-21-2002, 11:36 AM
Now all we have to have is machine guns plop out of the front of the mouse droid.

Eternal Padawan
07-21-2002, 12:41 PM
WHAT?! Mel Gibson would totally ROCK as Hannibal. I keep thinking of his performance in Maverick. Slap a cigar in his mouth, have him do that cocky half-grin and he IS a younger George Peppard.

JediTricks
07-22-2002, 03:03 AM
I don't see how this could be possible. Besides all the standard "you can't recast the A-Team" arguments, I can't imagine how they'd sell a studio a film about a show where they shot a bunch of bullets but nobody ever got hurt.

icatch9
07-22-2002, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
I like Bill Paxton for Face's part for some reason.

Sean Connery as Hannibal

Jim Carrey as Murdock would work i think.

I can't think of anyone to replace Mr. T, maybe Michael Clark Duncan, or Benny Hill in his Mr. T costume.

And Tommy Lee Jones as Colonel Decker.

However, they are probably better going with mostly unknowns.

This is the A Team not the $ Team. I don't think this movie could afford to cast all these high priced actors in one movie. I imagin we'll get one actor we know and then a group of un knowns. Kind of like the X Men. We got Patrick Steawart (SP?) and then pretty much a cast of lower priced movie actors.

Besides it's always the guys you don't know that make the best characters. I mean would Mel Gibson made a good Wolverine? Sure he's famous and a great actor, but the whole time he'd of just been Mel Gibson in a Wolverine outfit.

Tycho
07-22-2002, 09:20 AM
There's already pre-production talks on the A-Team movie and I think it could be further along than that.

Do a web search for the A-Team and you'd be surprised with how many sites you come up with. All of them are gearing up for the new movie, too. Many have recent updates.

Jon
07-28-2002, 09:07 PM
I think the best cast possible would be way too much money but I'll take a shot at casting the group here in a sort of economic reality here:

Hannibal: Jack Nicholson, Mel Gibson, or Sean Connery
Face: Paul Walker (Fast & the Furious)
Murdock: Guy Pearce
B.A.: Mr.T
Col. Decker: Ed Harris

El Chuxter
07-29-2002, 03:34 PM
Tycho is Face!! :p

I think only Mr T could pull off BA. That's in part due to the fact that I can see him calling up the studios and saying, "Foo, cut the jibba-jabba about Ving Rhames! I break yo' face, turkey!"

Stupid question of the day: Who is Ving Rhames? I was trying to figure that out while watching Lilo & Stitch (he played Cobra Bubbles), but I'm not putting a face with the name.

billfremore
07-29-2002, 03:42 PM
Ving Rhames played Vincent Wallace in Pulp Fiction.

Hey how about Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal? :D

Jonna
07-29-2002, 04:05 PM
HA! Which Hannibal?

billfremore
07-29-2002, 04:12 PM
I love it when a plan comes together, who's up for some liver and fava beans?

DarthBrandon
07-29-2002, 04:21 PM
Here are a couple of suggestions for the A-Team cast. These are my first and second pics, and I know that others have mentioned most.

Richard Anderson / Brendan Fraser as Face.
Wesley Snipes / Ving Rhames as B.A.
Matthew MaCounaghy/ Jim Carrey as Murdock
Anthony Hopkins / Harvey Keitel as Hannibal
Tommy Lee Jones / Al Pacino as Colonel Decker

El Chuxter
07-29-2002, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by billfremore
Ving Rhames played Vincent Wallace in Pulp Fiction.

THX sans 1138! :D I had a feeling that was him, but wasn't sure and didn't want to assume and look like an idiot later on. :rolleyes::Pirate:

Eternal Padawan
07-31-2002, 01:15 PM
Uhhhhh...it was Marcellus Wallace. Vincent VEGA was John Travolta's character.

Ving was also in both Mission:Impossible films as Luther Stickle.
He was in Rosewood, Baby Boy, Bringing out the Dead, Dave, and he played Don King in Only in America.

I like Jon's idea of Pearce as Murdock and Walker as Face.

There is room for only one STAR in this film. And that is whoever is playing Hannibal. The rest of the crew is supporting so don't expect A-listers like Jim Carrey to be up for the role of Murdock. Ain't gonna happen. If they did, they might as well call the movie Howlin' Mad Murdock and his A-team.

You can get guys like Matt McCoughnay, or Ving Rhames, or whoever to step into those supporting roles because even though they can carry a film, they can also blend into an ensemble cast. But I think it's more likely Hannibal will A-list and the other three will be up and comers.

And on top of that, if ______ Studio is looking at this for a franchise, will they want a Hannibal they;ll just have to replace for the next one? the more I think about it, the more likely it is, this film will cast relative unknowns for a multi pic deal, and spend the money they save on more explosions and blanks.

ROLLO!

billfremore
07-31-2002, 01:47 PM
Vincent Wallace? What the H-E-double hockey sticks was I thinking

Sorry apparently I was drinking heavily when i wrote that post. ;)

Rogue II
07-31-2002, 03:04 PM
I say dress up Eddie Murphy as B.A. He does a great Mr. T impression and he is used to wearing all that make up as The Nutty Professor.

Tycho, that was a nice A-Team Mouse Droid Van. Imagine the exhaust fumes coming out of the tail pipe on that thing! Hasbro said it's not toxic!

scruffziller
08-06-2002, 05:15 AM
Tiny Zeus Lister as BA that would be great.

Tycho
08-30-2006, 11:18 PM
So I've bought the first 3 years of The A-Team on DVD and have been watching them. That was a great show!

What the heck happened to the movie? It's 3 years late as far as our old projections went. Did the idea just die?

I can't say that this would be a bad thing if it did.

Someone said watching The A-Team in re-runs is the way to go since only the original 4 really made the A-Team. B.A. is definitely the hardest to re-cast. But you're right, getting together an ensemble of big stars would be seriously pricey. It's been done before though: A Bridge Too Far had Sean Connery, Gene Hackman, Anthony Hopkins, Elliot Gould, and more all in the same movie. And there's been plenty of films with 4 big stars in it before. Heat had Pacino, Kilmer, DeNiro, all in one. Ghost Busters had Rick Moranis, Dan Ackroyd, Bill Murray, Sigourney Weaver, all in one. I know that they weren't all big names when these films were made, but hey: Batman had Michael Keaton, Danny DeVito, Michelle Phiffer - it happens.

Still I think that if they made "The A-Team," it ought to be a prequel to the TV series, when they were younger, and take place in Vietnam - so we can see them knock over the Bank of Hanoi at the end of the war, get betrayed, and escape. I suppose it might be less comical than a typical TV episode was - but it would make a cool movie. The guy playing B.A. wouldn't have to wear all that jewelry either, as it would be against military dress code.

Maybe 1 movie and they could stop there.

figrin bran
08-31-2006, 01:12 AM
michael bay, where are you? :p

2-1B
02-01-2009, 04:02 PM
michael bay, where are you? :p

Shhhhhhh, he might hear you and get involved:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0429493/

JediTricks
02-01-2009, 04:05 PM
The first director on this one quit, so they're getting the director of Narc and Smokin' Aces to do it. As I've seen neither, I cannot really say what that means.

2-1B
02-01-2009, 04:51 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about that - Joe Carnahan.

I loved Narc and I thought Smokin' Aces, while goofy and silly, was a fun flick.

Tycho
02-01-2009, 09:05 PM
No! Getting Michael Bay would be awesome! He could help blow up stuff!

Darth Jax
02-01-2009, 11:18 PM
without Mr. T it just wouldn't be the A-team.

Bay could make a golden girls movie and of the 90 minute length, 75 minutes would feature explosions.

Tycho
02-02-2009, 05:24 AM
That would be awesome! Is Estelle Ghetty still alive? I bet she could fart!

Then Michael could add the special effects.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-23-2009, 10:10 AM
Chances at a GG movie are slimmer, now that half the Girls are gone. :( As far as cameos go, at least. I'd love to see the soldiers of fortune on the big screen. :thumbsup: Will this plan come together?

I think that NBC/Universal (or other companies) should do a few years of 80s action-type TV movies, to try and capture the magic like the superhero run a couple back (A-Team, Misfits of Science, Riptide, ALF, Airwolf, Chips, Emergency!, Magnum PI, etc.). I'd possibly have some interest in maybe considering seeing a trailer and perhaps buying a ticket for the film...

Phantom-like Menace
05-23-2009, 11:06 AM
In addition to the A-Team movie, I'd be onboard for Airwolf (obviously), Magnum P.I. and maybe Riptide, though I only very vaguely remember that show. Magnum P.I. has been thrown about as a movie possibility for a while, and I think they wanted to go the comedy angle with it and cast George Clooney as Magnum.

I've been really curious why Hollywood hasn't started any serious talk about an Airwolf movie, though I bet they'd probably use an Apache or something or even more likely a Comanche with the logic that it "looks cool," rather than with the realization that it "completely goes against the idea that Airwolf is a wolf in sheep's clothing." And that would probably just be the first way they'd screw it up.

JediTricks
05-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Airwolf isn't much of a story for cinema though, and Blue Thunder was pretty entertaining before it anyway. That's one of those things where Airwolf would be ridiculously taken away from the material and it'd be hard to helm it since there's no actual vision of it.

The A-Team movie has been in the news lately, they're looking at actors, Common as BA.

sith_killer_99
05-24-2009, 11:53 AM
Looks like this is happening. 2003 - It will be an all-new cast though.

Originally posted in 2002?!?!

Seriously? That's how far back this goes!

This is like Lucas deciding to make the new SW trilogy after ROTJ...16 years later we get to see it in theaters.:laugh:

I suppose it's not quite that bad, so far it's only been 7 years.lol

Tycho
05-24-2009, 02:12 PM
There is this lack of new ideas in Hollywood though.

For TV, in Prison Break, they get out only to be locked up in another prison - on purpose even.

I think the appropriate Hollywood response is to have Gilligan and the same crew get lost on another island. :rolleyes:

sith_killer_99
05-24-2009, 02:24 PM
I think the appropriate Hollywood response is to have Gilligan and the same crew get lost on another island. :rolleyes:

LOL Jump the shark!

Bel-Cam Jos
05-25-2009, 12:02 PM
LOL Jump the shark!JTS would be an awesome name for a show!

sith_killer_99
05-25-2009, 01:30 PM
JTS would be an awesome name for a show!

Only if it were a Game Show where people actually jumped sharks. It would have to be hosted by Mike Myers. The only problem would be getting frikin' sharks with frikin' laser beams.:whip:

Bel-Cam Jos
05-26-2009, 12:14 AM
Mr. T was in the booth to see the Pirates beat the Cubbies tonight. I pity the fool who loses for 17 straight seasons!

Rocketboy
05-26-2009, 12:25 AM
I think the appropriate Hollywood response is to have Gilligan and the same crew get lost on another island. :rolleyes:Isn't ABC doing that right now with Lost?

Tycho
05-26-2009, 02:46 AM
I guess so. I don't watch that series myself.

Back to The A-Team, I think they should do an origins movie. That seems to be the thing now.

But I'd like to see what happened to them during that bank robbery in Hanoi, Vietnam and the fateful day when whatever happened to him, caused BA Baracus to become afraid to fly (hardly seems originally likely if they were Special Forces Airborne).

Then I'd like to see the first day Murdoch adopted his invisible dog. How exactly did he potty-train it?

And FaceMan: the first 1,000 women. :D

Tycho
01-16-2010, 08:40 AM
Here's the trailer! (http://www.myspace.com/trailerpark)

I love it when a good trailer comes together!

Liam Neeson is playing Hannibal Smith. The trailer makes it seem like he'll actually be alright in this role.

I hope it's the start of a movie franchise.

I don't think they are going to be Vietnam vets though. Perhaps Iraq vets?

I hope not. They shouldn't change things too much. But then again, Vietnam vets would be 60 years old now. That's fine for Hannibal maybe - but Face, Murdoch, and B.A.?

Then again the movie could be set in the 1980's instead of modern day. That would be much better and fine with me.

The black van stayed the same! There's a plus! But I wonder if it will have GPS and On-Star?

What I hope is:

Hannibal will still be a master of disguise.

Faceman will still be a great con artist. They got the ladies-man part right, you can tell by the preview.

What's with B.A. driving the sports car? That's Face's style.

The parachuting in a tank part of the preview looks like a lot of fun!

I will look to watching my old episodes. I have all the seasons 1-4 on DVD and I mean to order season 5.

jonthejedi
01-16-2010, 08:53 AM
Confirmed as Iraq war vets...not Nam.

Tycho
01-16-2010, 09:25 AM
Re-writing everything? *sigh*

A modern "A-Team?" -

In 2012 a crack commando unit was sentenced to foreclosure by Fannie Mae for a mortgage they didn't comprehend.

These men promptly defaulted and escaped to the bankruptcy underground.

Today, still owing money to the government, they survive as soldiers of misfortune.

If you have a sub-prime.

If no bank wants to help.

And if you can finance them.

Maybe you can hire American Express.

And this after Transformers came out and Soundwave wasn't a walkman.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-16-2010, 05:23 PM
They could be accused of some war crime they didn't commit. Hannibal should wear a Jedi disguise at some point.

Edit - Just watched the trailer. I thought tank paratroopers were just a joke from an episode of Ren & Stimpy.

morpheus282
01-16-2010, 09:33 PM
I watched the trailer the other day. The only way I would sit through this movie is if I'm paid at least 1% of the film's revenue. Even then I can't promise I wouldn't fall asleep or try to gnaw my own leg off before it was over.

DarkArtist
01-20-2010, 08:47 AM
saw the trailer for this and all i can say is that it looks horrible. have absolutely no desire to see this flick

Phantom-like Menace
01-26-2010, 01:18 AM
Seriously? Aside from the tank parachute drop after I assume the plane breaks up, I was liking what I saw, save maybe B.A. The guy from District 9, Sharlto something, seems a pretty good match for Murdock, and I was really happy to see the Vandura. I'm even looking forward to Neeson bringing his particular set of skills to the movie.

I have no problem whatsoever on their moving the backstory to the Middle East. It's hardly reinventing the proverbial wheel. Now if they are hanging out in Fallujah or Kandahar and decide to respectfully resign from the military and pursue the proper legal channels to become mercenaries for hire to Halliburton, yeah, I'll be a little upset.

Otherwise, to me, the A-Team has always been outlaws who were accused of a crime they didn't commit well before they were specifically Vietnam war vets. Again, at least to me, Vietnam wasn't really used for any reason other than that it was the most recent conflict for the characters to have served in, so there's no story reason it has to be Vietnam.

Count me in for this movie in a big way.

Anyway, I just want a really good A-Team van for 3 3/4" figures and for Hasbro to do them so they fit in with my G.I. Joe figures. And as long as I'm wishing, I want them to do versions of the classic TV characters as well.

JimJamBonds
01-31-2010, 12:05 PM
I finally watched the trailer, all in all it looks pretty "good." I'll take a free burn from 2-1B. ;)

Tycho
06-04-2010, 05:52 PM
I saw the full length trailer for this movie last night and it looks awesome actually!

I'm looking forward to this one, Sucka.

JediTricks
06-09-2010, 04:00 PM
I saw the full length trailer for this movie last night and it looks awesome actually!

I'm looking forward to this one, Sucka.
Geez, it's like you just open up your mouth and let them shove mountains of garbage into it, and when they're done you ask for more. :p The trailers and ad spots I've seen look unholy bad just on their own, not even as an A-Team movie (which is an easy distinction because there's essentially nothing A-Team within those ads). And then, you'll go see it, it'll not make you actively vomit, and because you've invested yourself into the idea of the film without questioning any of its merits, you'll convince yourself that it somehow was good no matter how bad it was.

El Chuxter
06-09-2010, 04:02 PM
I haven't confirmed this for myself, but my understanding is that Mr. T denounced this movie.

If Mr. T is not down with something, how can anyone be? The meaning of life is to try to live as much like Mr. T as possible.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-09-2010, 10:47 PM
I don't know if I'll go see it, but the trailer I saw a while back looked okay. I'm sure I'd enjoy the movie.

2-1B
06-09-2010, 10:55 PM
Geez, it's like you just open up your mouth and let them shove mountains of garbage into it, and when they're done you ask for more. :p The trailers and ad spots I've seen look unholy bad just on their own, not even as an A-Team movie (which is an easy distinction because there's essentially nothing A-Team within those ads). And then, you'll go see it, it'll not make you actively vomit, and because you've invested yourself into the idea of the film without questioning any of its merits, you'll convince yourself that it somehow was good no matter how bad it was.

Tycho's gonna love it of course and you're going to hate it for sure.

Yin and Yang. :ninja:

Darth Jax
06-09-2010, 11:30 PM
I haven't confirmed this for myself, but my understanding is that Mr. T denounced this movie.

If Mr. T is not down with something, how can anyone be? The meaning of life is to try to live as much like Mr. T as possible.

yep T isn't down with the violence and sex. not good, clean family-fun like the 80s cartoon violence where no one actually got hurt.

what's funnier is dirk benedict being upset with the movie because his cameo wasn't long enough.

Tycho
06-10-2010, 12:13 AM
I've done a little bit of analysis of this film and found some problems with it.

1) They don't explain that since the ROMULANS messed with time travel, the A-Team is accused of a crime in the VIETNAM WAR but is captured after the flux-capacitor on the A-Team Van malfunctions and they are erroneously sentenced for a crime they didn't commit during the IRAQ WAR.

Furthermore, this explains why the Team is still young and Hannibal's cigars are still fresh, plus Faceman's preference for much younger women.

Meanwhile, jewelry cannot go through time-travel, so when SkyNet sends you through, no Bling is allowed.

Also Murdock could be cured with today's anti-psychotic drugs, but they didn't have those in the '70's and he stayed drug-free all this time, so why change now?

2) The A-Team Van lacks flames being painted on the sides. Michael Bay understands the importance of this ret-con aesthetic device, but the A-Team director hasn't consulted him for Mr. Bay's superior insight to all things action-film.

3) Where is Phil Collins? We need him working on the soundtrack!

JediTricks
06-10-2010, 04:55 PM

If Mr. T is not down with something, how can anyone be? The meaning of life is to try to live as much like Mr. T as possible.Mr. T says it's no bueno.

Tycho's gonna love it of course and you're going to hate it for sure.

Yin and Yang. :ninja:I can't hate it when I won't see it. I'll hate the idea of it though.

Tycho doesn't really love that stuff, he's just suckered himself into unbelievably lowered standards so he won't have to face the reality of the situations he puts himself in. "It's my fault I'm in this car wreck, so I better enjoy it!"

Tycho
06-11-2010, 06:00 PM
STAY UNTIL AFTER ALL THE CREDITS - and I do mean all of them!

There's cameo appearances by Dirk Benedict and Dwight Schultz (the original Face and the original Murdock).

George Peppard (the original Hannibal) has sadly passed away but he might have been in the cemetary they filmed at (?)

And yeah, I guess Mr. T looked down upon the movie and didn't want to appear.

The original actors' cameos are on-screen with the new actors in the roles.

The original A-Team music is used a few times during the movie! YAaaaaayY!

But this was an awesome movie!

Phantom-like Menace
06-14-2010, 01:21 AM
I don't often watch movies on opening weekend, so I'm waiting for next weekend to watch this movie, but I haven't seen a single person on any site I visit say they didn't like it. I saw one person who thought it was average, but still thought it worth watching. Everyone else really liked it. Copley's Murdock was called out as being especially awesome, which I fully expect. In the trailers, he seems to have nailed the character.

The few professional reviews I've read of it, I think I remember them not liking it, but almost every one of them mentioned they didn't like the television series either.

Rocketboy
06-14-2010, 03:07 PM
Apparently moviegoers only liked it half as much as The Karate Kid.

Damn shame. The A-Team looks like 2 hours of fun, over-the-top, ridiculousness.

Tycho
06-14-2010, 03:58 PM
It's not too ridiculous. In fact, it's a lot like GI Joe was, without the extra-high-tech gear with a little secret agent / spy movie-thriller type stuff thrown in and just enough humor but done really tastefully and not at all overdone.

This was not a comedic movie, but an action-thriller with more-than-average comedy thrown in - but never enough to slow the picture down or distract from the non-stop adventure of it all.

In fact, this movie was about as perfect as it could be.

Murdock's helicopter flying tricks should be physically possible, but I'm no expert on that. In any event, it either took ingenious CGI work or one of the best stunt pilots ever to produce those aerial acrobatics feats.

Can a helicopter actually fly upside-down???

Mad Slanted Powers
06-20-2010, 01:25 AM
I saw it today and enjoyed it. It felt like an A-Team episode, except with some language they couldn't use on TV, and perhaps a bit darker mood, but still had some of the humor of the original show. More Murdoch could have helped that.

The review in our paper had the headline "A-Team high action, cheesy and a lot of fun." The reviewer (Colin Covert, Minneapolis Star Tribune) gave it 3 stars. The quote they used in the movie listing grid was "All in all, it's satisfying B-movie nonsense."

Mad Slanted Powers
06-20-2010, 02:16 AM
yep T isn't down with the violence and sex. not good, clean family-fun like the 80s cartoon violence where no one actually got hurt.I'd think he'd probably be upset with the language. I didn't really notice any sex. A little bit of Face fooling around, but he was always hitting on the ladies in the TV series. The series had plenty of violence, though I don't know if anyone was ever killed. The movie had plenty of profanity, though.

Slicker
06-20-2010, 04:44 AM
It's not too ridiculous. What?

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

So trying to fly a damn tank with the gun isn't ridiculous? Or blowing up an ENTIRE cargo ship with a bazooka isn't ridiculous?

Even though it was ridiculous as all get out it was a good movie. As the late (R.I.P) stilladik would say "it was a good popcorn movie".

morpheus282
06-20-2010, 10:00 AM
Can a helicopter actually fly upside-down???

Depends on your definition of flying upside down. Based on what I saw in the previews, I'd say it was CG BS.

Slicker
06-20-2010, 09:28 PM
I'm not sure if it can fly upside down for long periods of time but I know that they can do barrel rolls.

Rocketboy
06-22-2010, 01:10 AM
Saw The A-Team tonight and it was exactly what I expected: over the top, ridiculous and fun.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-22-2010, 01:45 AM
Saw The A-Team tonight and it was exactly what I expected: over the top, ridiculous and fun.

Indeed. I wouldn't mind seeing more A-Team movies with this cast, or even a TV series.

The down side is that the matinee prices are now at $8. And they wonder why people don't go to the movies anymore. People can pay half that and watch them from the comfort of their own home. With Netflix, iTunes and On Demand, you don't even have to go to the video store.

Rocketboy
06-22-2010, 02:03 AM
I'll probably always go to the movies.
Theaters have the "See It Now!" advantage, despite the fairly short 4 month average big screen-to-DVD wait.
It cost me $7 for an evening show and I love that big screen.

Phantom-like Menace
06-22-2010, 02:42 AM
I'd love watching movies in theaters if it weren't for jerks who seemed to have paid good money to loudly have the same conversation they could have had for free in the parking lot.

Though, admittedly I've actually had fairly good luck with that lately. The last movie I really had someone interrupting was Iron Man 2 when I watched it the second time, and that was just some little kid who kept yammering on about something. Before that, I want to say it was something like the second Chronicles of Narnia movie when a bunch of teenagers nearly got themselves kicked out of the movie for talking constantly.

Tycho
06-22-2010, 12:08 PM
I'll probably always go to the movies.
Theaters have the "See It Now!" advantage, despite the fairly short 4 month average big screen-to-DVD wait.
It cost me $7 for an evening show and I love that big screen.

Wow. It's $10.50 - $11.50 for a movie here.

I think I saw The A-Team for $6 for the 10am show, however.

Rocketboy
06-22-2010, 12:48 PM
Wow. It's $10.50 - $11.50 for a movie here.

I think I saw The A-Team for $6 for the 10am show, however.Well, I was able to get the $7 student discount since they don't ask for a student ID.
:thumbsup:

Droid
06-22-2010, 02:20 PM
I enjoyed the movie.

I particularly enjoyed the stealing the plane/tank sequence. I thought it was a really fun part of the film.

Phantom-like Menace
06-28-2010, 12:28 AM
I finally saw this and I thought Murdock was hysterical. Sharlto Copley nailed that character and was easily the best part of the movie. I was a little annoyed that the van damned nearly made merely a cameo. Favorite Murdock moment was when he was screwing around splashing blue paint on himself. I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it, but his impression of that character was perfect, and I liked that they made good use of Copley's being from South Africa.

My brother was fairly dead set against seeing the movie, but I dragged him to it, and after he enjoyed the movie, he said he was happy I made him go watch my stupid movie.

The audience attending had two reactions I thought were funny. The first was when Face said, "Alfa Mike Foxtrot." There was a collective "Huh?" reaction from the room. I just kind of looked around in surprise that more people didn't get it immediately. The second was when it was revealed that Face was imprisoned here in Pensacola. You could hear almost half of the people watching whisper to the other half.

How many in-jokes and the like did anyone notice? There are of course the two scenes after the credits, but I also noticed the credits for the movie at the mental facility included the name Reginald Barclay, Dwight Schultz's character from Star Trek TNG, and of course its music was that of the TV series. The head judge at the court martial was named Carnahan for the director. I could have sworn Binky Rabinowicz was a reference, but I can't find anything anywhere.

I think my biggest complaint about the movie was that it focused too much on Face, but it's a minor quibble. This movie is going in the collection when it comes out on DVD.

Tycho
06-28-2010, 02:36 PM
Yeah, I loved the movie.

I thought the Faceman character focus was awesome though.

It put some passion with forbidden romance into the story, giving one guy a little James Bond likeness.

In a lot of ways, he was the A-Team character I identified with the most, growing up watching the show.

However, Murdock's character was always a lot of fun and very inspirational!

GIANT CHICKEN! GIANT CHICKEN! - Did you see that giant chicken running right across this here post?

Awww. Nevermind. Where's my Mouse Droid? Anyway, I was saying I really liked the A-Team.

figrin bran
06-28-2010, 11:49 PM
I saw this on Saturday and enjoyed it more than I thought it would. I caught the Reginald Barclay reference too but had to process it for a minute.

I think JT needs to rethink his boycott of this film.

Phantom-like Menace
06-29-2010, 12:29 AM
I caught the Reginald Barclay reference too but had to process it for a minute.

Yeah, the mind kind of did a double-take at a reference that was two degrees of separation from what you were watching. Cool though.