PDA

View Full Version : did you like playing with firecrackers and blowing up old models when you were a kid?

Jango Jett
07-20-2002, 10:38 AM
I use to like using firecrackers to destroy my old fleet of model ships or other models I didnt want anymore, I would set them all out in a muddy puddle of water and toss firecrackers at them to
simulate being fired upon by another enemy ship ! or I would
set up all my toy army men and tanks and toss firecrakers at them
like they were being attacked by morter fire ! :D remember that
distictive black smoke from the slow burning plastic ? firecrackers
were also a lot of fun to use when playing with GI Joes 12" action
figures, they could be buried in the ground to simulate a land mine
or simply tossed to simulate a hand grenade, M80's were powerful, I like to use those to simulate artillery fire, I would always put the figure in a foxhole or behind cover, firecrackers
added a lot of realism to playing war games with toys. :Pirate:

Pendo
07-20-2002, 10:50 AM
Never done that myself but it sounds like alot of fun :D. I might go out and buy some toys to blow up :).

PENDO!

Jargo
07-20-2002, 11:46 AM
Of course this being a family site we must now insert the obligatory 'do not try this at home unless supervised by a responsible adult' warning. Firecrackers are not toys and can burn or injure. Use extreme caution when using combustible materials and explosives of any nature.....

That said, I used to love filing ships with lighter gas and then seting them alight as a kind of explosion. Brief, bright but real fun to an eleven year old. :) Liquid lighter fuel can be squirted into shapes and patterns that burn in a most interesting way and you can make it follow a path round the vehicle or figure. It burns fast and evaporates fast so you have to be quick to catch it if you want to take photos. I lost my vintage AT-ST to lighter fuel fires.... :( wish I'd been less of a pyromaniac now.

Exhaust Port
07-20-2002, 11:59 AM
I never combined my toys and fireworks but often was tempted. I did allow myself to melt several of my action figures during my many fire experiments. No real regrets, I can't live in the past is what I keep telling myself.

SWAFMAN
07-20-2002, 03:44 PM
I used to do it when I was a really little kid to the old, green plastic army men & tanks, etc. with firecrackers, or those black pellets that would grow into snakey long pipes when you lit them. I quit after a glop of molten green plastic landed on my thumbnail one time. Man, that hurt like he-(double-toothpicks)!!!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-20-2002, 04:16 PM
he-(double-toothpicks), eh? That's a new one . . .

jet chan
07-20-2002, 04:36 PM
i never did, but some of my friends loved to, i never understood why it seemed a good waste of a toy to me, but now that i'm older i at least can see why they did it

Thumb Wars
07-20-2002, 04:39 PM
a few friends and i did that to my sister's barbies! we duct taped bottle rockets to them and see how high we could get them to fly. man that was fun times!

jet chan
07-20-2002, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Thumb Wars
a few friends and i did that to my sister's barbies! we duct taped bottle rockets to them and see how high we could get them to fly. man that was fun times!
i would have loved to do that to my sister hee hee the look on her face would have been priceless,but being she was twice my size she'd have got the last laugh, and i might not be replying right now.

DarthBrandon
07-20-2002, 04:58 PM
I blew up one of my Star Destroyer models once, just too see what it would be like to do it. Lets just say I wish I didn't do that, it takes a long time to build one with fibre optic lighting and the time spent watching it happen wasn't worth it although it was pretty cool.

Dar' Argol
07-20-2002, 05:41 PM
What do you mean as a kid?!?!?!? I still do that NOW!!!!
KIDS, DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME UNLESS YOU HAVE PARENTAL SUPERVISION!!

I recently took a 1957 Chevy snap together model and a 1998 Dodge Ram snap together model, but them together using GLUE. Its make the explosion a lot better when its harder to blow it apart. I painted them up and when over to my buddies. We took a low grade M-80 and put it each of the cars via a hole in the bottom I made. We also took 2 firecrackers and placed them in the rear of the cars. We then set up his camcorder on the ground about 50ft from where the collision was going to happen. We tied all the fuses together with a 5 second fuse and set up. We set the cars about 6 ft from each other, lit the fused, counted to 2 and pushed them towards each other.

When they hit the rear ends lifted off the ground b/c of the 2 firecracker explosion in the rear ends. That was cool! Then the low grade M-80's went of and completely demolished what was left of the cars!! There was burning plastic, an pieces flying everywhere!! After we dowsed the fires, we when inside and put the tape in the VCR. We watched the explosion in slowmo over and over again. It almost looked movie quality!!!! It was so cool. The rear ends lifted up just as the hit and a split second later came the giant explosion that sent doors and roofs, and tires flying. That was a lot of fun!

We are planing a plane crash next. I have a few old millitary planes laying around. We are going to have several of them wired and have another come into frame and crash into the line of them sitting on the "tarmac" and hopefully get a big ol fireball!:crazed: :D

Jango Jett
07-20-2002, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by jet chan
i never did, but some of my friends loved to, i never understood why it seemed a good waste of a toy to me, but now that i'm older i at least can see why they did it

I probably did it because I was a big fan of those old GODZILLA
movies at the time and I thought it was fun :) the special effects
in those GODZILLA movies shows a lot of toy models getting
destroyed thats where I got the idea, like the movie Godzilla vs.
King Kong, Destroy all monsters, Godzilla vs. Ghidora ,etc. I only
used old models that I was going to throw away anyways. :crazed:

LTBasker
07-20-2002, 05:51 PM
I've never done something that like. :o :(

I've seen some cheap Star Trek and Star Wars models on-line though, I've been wanting to get a bunch of cheap ones and put them together then put some fireworks into'em and make my own movies. Sounds like fun. :evil:

187-Maul
07-20-2002, 06:58 PM
well a couple of years ago my friends and I blew up a model car with some firecrackers that were left from sylvester
but it wasn't my car and I would probably never blow up any of my toys (or other stuff)

JediTricks
07-21-2002, 03:52 AM
firecrackers aren't my thing, but as a kid, I occasionally liked melting and intricate smashing (battle damage)... until 1980 when everything changed. From then on, everything was about
FREEZING!
Every figure got the carbonite treatment, my family would ALWAYS be finding clear plastic cups with a poor trapped figure inside. Star Wars, GI Joe, He-Man, MASK, virtually nobody was spared. My grandmother's old frost-freeless freezer was the icy caves of Hoth which made for good storage of the frozen minions, I still feel the occasional urge to freeze figures, but now I know what it does to their joints and paint, so I don't do it often.

Exhaust Port
07-21-2002, 07:45 AM
That's funny JediTricks. I just might have to try that with one of my lesser figures. :)

Jango Jett
07-21-2002, 09:38 AM
I use to do that too ! kinda like putting them in suspended
animation ? sometimes I would spray water on a toy then put it in
the freezer to give it a nice "frosted" coating of ice like a popsickle.:crazed:

QLD
07-21-2002, 10:04 AM
Well, I have done the following to my toys, but I never used fireworks because you can't buy them in Georgia.

Catch their heads on fire, and have them run around while it melts.

Put nails through their chest.

Use gas and lighterfluid to burn vehicles.

Throw vehicles from extreme heights while on fire.

Shoot them with my b.b. gun.

smash their body with a hammer.

Use a saudering iron to torture them.

Put them in the oven, or microwave.

Freeze them in water.

Put them on bicycles spokes and spin the wheels.

Bury them in dirt.

It's amazing I turned out as well adjusted as I am :D

dingodad
07-22-2002, 12:15 AM
my brother built a wwI biwing brittish plane from a balsa wood and tissue paper kit. when he got tired of it, he removed the usefull pieces and we stuck firecrackers in it. we then put my straight arm snake eyes in the **** pit and put a fire cracker in the nose of the plane. when the cracker went off, the plane caught fire and consumed the plane in a few seconds. i threw another cracker in the burning wreck that blew out the flames and there was snakeeyes, forever melted in a fetal position.
on another occasion, my cousin was shooting a model car with thumb tacks through a blowgun. he told me to get his ammo out of the model and when i crawled up to the model he decided that i was the new target and he shot me in the rump.definetly dont do that at home chidrens.

LTBasker
07-22-2002, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
firecrackers aren't my thing, but as a kid, I occasionally liked melting and intricate smashing (battle damage)... until 1980 when everything changed. From then on, everything was about
FREEZING!
Every figure got the carbonite treatment, my family would ALWAYS be finding clear plastic cups with a poor trapped figure inside. Star Wars, GI Joe, He-Man, MASK, virtually nobody was spared. My grandmother's old frost-freeless freezer was the icy caves of Hoth which made for good storage of the frozen minions, I still feel the occasional urge to freeze figures, but now I know what it does to their joints and paint, so I don't do it often.

I used to do that to alot of my figures that I didn't give that much of a hoot about. Like my X-Men (Never catch me doing it to my Star Wars and Star Trek stuff for no good reason!) and Spider-Man and other stuff. I would get a big bowl then fill it with water, and put my figures in odd poses (required to put alot of figures in so the other figures could keep the poses I put them in instead of floating to the top) and then I would freeze it. Always thought it was so much fun. Actually my favorite figure to freeze was my X-Men Ice-Man figure. :D He actually still looks good today, and his joints aren't loose.

The funnest thing to do though would be getting the figures out of the ice, in which I would run water over the ice till it came out of the bowl then I would just set it in the sink and get the hose (the thing that helps with hand dish washing...) attached to the sink to spray holes and stuff in the ice. It was always fun...

I've only frozen a few Star Wars figures, some were for good reasons like when I softened up a Naboo Security Guard and put it's limbs in some diffirent posistions and froze it so it would set quicker.

One SW thing that's fun to freeze is the carbo block that came with the 3-D Jabba's Palace diorama set, you put water in the parts where Han "was" and then freeze it and wait for it to warm up a little then take it out and it's frozen in the shape of a person. :D

JediTricks
07-22-2002, 01:55 AM
Basker, that idea about the melty block sounds awesome, I'm gonna give that a try next chance I get. Maybe I'll get out the extra version and try this with dyed water. :D Hmm, I think I'll also try to freeze Han in the block, then melt him out and give him carbon sickness. :D