PDA

View Full Version : what kind of collecter are you? do you open your toys and play with them?

Jango Jett
07-20-2002, 11:55 AM
or do you like to leave them sealed and mint in the box or sealed
on card ? I have about 50% opened and displayed and 50%
that I never removed from the package, some stuff looks so good
displayed in the box that I dont want to open the box ! the way
some figures are displayed in a box with the window and the figure is in an action pose looks better if left in the box. Plus
figures left mint in box retain more re-sale value or trade value.
:Pirate:

figrin bran
07-20-2002, 12:05 PM
85-90% of my collection is loose, and not just Star Wars but Simpsons, Transformers, and other assorted figures :)

Exhaust Port
07-20-2002, 01:04 PM
Everything I collect is loose with some exceptions. I have 3 12" SW figures still in the box, my Toyfare Simpsons World of Sprinfield exlusives are in the box and my entire Saga collection is still trapped in their cardboard tombs.

I don't know why I decided to become a MOC collector of the Saga line. I usually can't stand leaving figures on the card or in the box but I had a change of heart while purchasing this line. I love the packaging of the figures and think they look great left on the card. I have discovered how much room leaving them on the card takes up. I only have 30+ and I feel like I'm swimming in them. What do those with 100+ do with these guys?

SWAFMAN
07-20-2002, 04:36 PM
I started my action fleet collection with about 15-20 opened ships. I then started leaving all the new ones in their box, and eventually completed my boxed AF collection. My brain was then somehow zapped (maybe it was those dadgumbed nanoprobes again?!?) into deciding to go back and get openers of everything so I'd have at least one boxed and one opened of all the AF product line. I'm within about 15 - 18 items of having a complete loose collection, not counting the as-yet unreleased EP2 stuff.

I also have a complete boxed collection of all the Battle Squads vehicles and packs, and all but 2 or 3 of the 6" figures. I have openers of all but 2 or 3 of the vehicles. I only have one loose 6" figure.

jet chan
07-20-2002, 04:44 PM
1/2 loose 1/2 on card not that i have doubles of everything some i could only find loose and some i just can't take out of the box. but as general rule i like collecting loose mint items,mainly action fleet.

187-Maul
07-20-2002, 08:07 PM
all loose except one fig - jar-jar swamp
I'm keeping him on card for two reasons #1 I can' display him swimming outside of the card and #2 I didn't really want the fig but found it for a really good price and could use it to trade or sell it to get some figs I want more (and I can't use it that good for trading if loose)

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
07-20-2002, 10:28 PM
Everything is loose except for the Saga figures. I find it stressfull keeping track of all my figures and their accessories, so I stopped opening them. I have 1 Saga figure open- Yoda, only because I have 3 of him.

scruffziller
07-27-2002, 12:31 PM
I open them and put them on display around my apartment.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-27-2002, 11:32 PM
I keep 85% of my Saga, POTJ, EP1 stuff carded.

I'd say 40% of my Action Fleet, Micro Machines are carded.

Usually I'll get openers for stuff I already have, if I find them for a really good price.

I have the biggest itch to rip open the packaging on all my carded stuff but the dark side of the force keeps me from doing so.

Maybe one day I will have a complete breakdown and give in to my impulses and open my stuff.

rynobot
07-28-2002, 01:19 AM
scruffziller, to keep your loose figures and not lose accessories use a 1/8th ounce baggie (snack size). These work perfect for all figures except for the Luminaria Undulia, who is just a tad to big.

bigbarada
07-28-2002, 01:30 AM
I open everything. Occasionally though I would buy an extra of a figure I really liked to keep carded, but that was when I had money to burn. Recently one of each is pretty much it.

I also like to play with the cool ones, if I can't have fun with it then there was really no point for me to buy it.

Obi-Don
07-28-2002, 06:08 AM
Everything I have is opened. I just can't stand to leave them in the package. I want to touch them and even play with at times. I collect for me so I see no reason to keep them locked up.

Right now they are all packed up to get the playroom change in to the baby's room that is on the way. My wife will let me have one part of the room for the computer and my collection after we get everything set up. Yes this one to will be introduced to Star Wars at an early age.

Jason B
07-28-2002, 03:03 PM
i open them, and display them, the best I can.

jobi
07-28-2002, 05:33 PM
I have sentenced all of mine to life imprisonment sealed in their cardboard cells. The ones I like I buy 2 so I can open them. I have the Saga, SOTE, EU, and my exclusives all on my sons wall. I'm trying to decide which other line to hang in there. I have pretty much every character made since 95' so most sit in a box in the closet. :cry:

SWAFMAN
07-28-2002, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by jobi ...I have the Saga, SOTE, EU, and my exclusives all on my sons wall.

It must be a cool display, but also kind of a "so near but yet so far" thing for your son to see all those tempting figures through their carded bubbles, never getting to touch/play with them.
Not saying you're being cruel to him, or anything. I'm sure he has plenty of figs opened to play with. I just see how my kids look at the boxed collection we have, and it's in the computer room, not their own room. Fortunately, we have plenty of loose stuff, too.

Beast
07-28-2002, 10:11 PM
I open them all, except for my trade bait stuff and my carded Jar Jar Binks collection. My computer desk right now looks like a TRU exploded, there are Saga figures scattered all over it. I'll usually play with them while I'm on here, until I see somthing worth posting about. Would be nice if Hasbro just packaged figures in a plastic baggie, stapled to a blank card. Then everyone would become openers. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Nexu
07-28-2002, 10:19 PM
According to that, you must hardly ever play with them. :p

Beast
07-28-2002, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Nexu
According to that, you must hardly ever play with them. :p
Hahahahaha, you so funny. :crazed: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
07-29-2002, 01:18 AM
I open everything, however, I can honestly say I have never played with any of them. I just do not have the imagination that was once so plentiful!

Rogue II
07-29-2002, 09:22 AM
I open 95% of my collection. I have one open version of almost all of my carded collection. I've recently started opening some of my carded figures for army builders from POTF2. It was fun. I might open some more.

I don't collect error/variations but I have an Admiral Piett. Which version of him is "rare"?

Originally posted by Obi-Don
Everything I have is opened. I just can't stand to leave them in the package. I want to touch them and even play with at times. I collect for me so I see no reason to keep them locked up.

Right now they are all packed up to get the playroom change in to the baby's room that is on the way. My wife will let me have one part of the room for the computer and my collection after we get everything set up. Yes this one to will be introduced to Star Wars at an early age.

I lost my computer/collection room when my daughter was born last year. She turns 1 next month. We bought her the X-Wing Playschool set. She likes playing with Darth Vader and Luke. One of the dogs chewed R2 last week:mad: .

My daughter has taken a bit of an interest in the figures. I put the box on the floor and she will crawl over to them. She then sits next to the box and takes each figure out, looks at it, then puts it down. POTF2 C-3PO is one of her favorite (its shiney). She finds Flashback R2 and R5-D4 quite funny because of their launching abilities.

billfremore
07-29-2002, 11:03 AM
Open em' all, I say.

Although my room right now looks like Jar Jar's, I've got so much Saga carded stuff in there right now it looks like I have lots of money to spend. :)

I'm waiting until my collection gets moved to it's new room and then it'll be like christmas! Wheee! :D

Jonna
07-29-2002, 11:23 AM
Not to be a cranky 'nitwit', but isn't there already like a bizillion threads that ask this question?

billfremore
07-29-2002, 12:07 PM
yup, but I forget what I post so I need to be asked the same question several times...

...what were we talking about?

Exhaust Port
07-29-2002, 01:29 PM
Perhaps asking "who's actually plays with the figures versus just arranging them on a shelf?"

With my opened figures I just give them one good arrangement on the shelf and that's the way they'll sit until I either get really inspired or have to move them out of necessity. My imagination for true play left me years ago sadly.

Lobito
07-29-2002, 02:04 PM
I open all of them (the ones that are closed will have to stay that way until i find an empty spot to display them). As for the other question, nope, i dont play with them, but i do play video games.:D