PDA

View Full Version : 80's TV/Movie cable network

Exhaust Port
07-20-2002, 12:14 PM
With all the interest in the popular culture of the 80's, I was thinking how great it would be to have an 80's cable channel completely devoted to the decade. I realize that we already have TVLand but that's not specific enough. I want to see 24 hours of our favorite TV shows and movies. Saturday mornings would be filled with the cartoons we remember from our childhood. There are so many shows, movies and commericals from that decade that would be awesome to see regularly that I'd pay to have it pumped into my house.

billfremore
07-20-2002, 12:19 PM
That does sound like an awesome idea.

I could catch up on all those Family Ties epsiodes I missed. :D

Now if we could just get a Hogan's Heroes network...:p

Beast
07-20-2002, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by billfremore
That does sound like an awesome idea.

I could catch up on all those Family Ties epsiodes I missed. :D

Well, no real need for a sepearte 80's network. Family Ties is shown nightly on Nick at Night. I think it's also shown on TV Land, though I may be wrong. Hogan's Heroes is also a regular staple of TV Land. Nick at Night and TV Land show alot of 80's programs, so does FX. And with luck, since so many TV shows are coming to DVD, we may see some of these in the future. A-Team and such is already available in R2. Now we just need a R1 release. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

billfremore
07-20-2002, 02:29 PM
Well Nick at Nite and TV Land are great Jar Jar...

...if you live in the states!

Unfortunately we Canadians are denied these fine stations.
As well as most of the Star Wars exclusives.
Hmm... I seem to be ranting, sorry about that.:D

Beast
07-20-2002, 02:34 PM
Sorry man, didn't know that you were from the great white north. Well, you guys get alot of exclusive DVD's so there. Hellraiser III, Smallville, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, and Brotherhood of the Wolf (3-disc S.E.) to name a few. :p :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

billfremore
07-20-2002, 02:38 PM
Wow, I didn't know we got all that.

Oh yeah I forgot about you guys and your copies of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

So do you have to order them special from Canada?

Beast
07-20-2002, 02:41 PM
Yeah, if we want them we have to order them from a Canadian Retailer that will ship to the U.S. There are quite a few things that you guys get that we don't, also things we get that you guys don't. Which is pretty silly since we are all region 1. :crazed: :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

rynobot
07-20-2002, 04:07 PM
I'm wish they would release Transformers on DVD, that and GI Joes.

Beast
07-20-2002, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by rynobot
I'm wish they would release Transformers on DVD, that and GI Joes.
Transformers is out on DVD. The entire first season was released a month or two ago, and season 2 is due sometime this year. No word on when G.I. Joe will be released. :)
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

rynobot
07-20-2002, 08:34 PM
I-m checking Amazon nowza!

THE Slayer
07-20-2002, 08:45 PM
Do canadian dvd's play on usa players,, all this talk about regions. Some one make it clear for the moron in us all.

Beast
07-20-2002, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by THE Slayer
Do canadian dvd's play on usa players,, all this talk about regions. Some one make it clear for the moron in us all.
Yes, they work in U.S. players. Canada is Region 1, the same as the U.S. There are currently 8 regions (9 with non-region discs, also known as Region 0). To play discs from other regions, you need a multi-region player. Here is the regions breakdown. :)

Region 0 - (Really just not region encoded)
Region 1 - USA, Canada
Region 2 - Europe, Middle East, Japan, South Africa
Region 3 - S.Korea, Taiwan, HK, ASEAN
Region 4 - Australia, NZ, Latin America
Region 5 - Ex-Soviets, Indian sub-continent, Africa
Region 6 - China
Region 7 - Reserved
Region 8 - International territory (airplanes, cruise ships, etc.)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

rynobot
07-20-2002, 10:54 PM
I hate the different regions. I bought 2 Manic Street Preachers (they are from Wales) concerts on DVD and I can't play them on my PS2. I have to play them on my computer which isn't as entertaining.

Deckard Smith
07-21-2002, 01:32 AM
Somebody once did a study on the effects of cable television on the culture regarding the fact that most people over the age of 50 have experienced the whole of television over the span of their lives whereas young people between the ages of 5-15 have experienced the exact same amount of television in just a few years. It was an very interesting and enjoyable study but I can't remember who did it. I've been meaning to purchase a DVD player. I don't know how often I would use it though. What exactly is Region7 for?

pinoysith
07-21-2002, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Exhaust Port
With all the interest in the popular culture of the 80's, I was thinking how great it would be to have an 80's cable channel completely devoted to the decade. I realize that we already have TVLand but that's not specific enough. I want to see 24 hours of our favorite TV shows and movies. Saturday mornings would be filled with the cartoons we remember from our childhood. There are so many shows, movies and commericals from that decade that would be awesome to see regularly that I'd pay to have it pumped into my house.

EP-
I could not agree with you more! 80's TV 24/7, including all the commercials! Some of my fave 80's commercials were Life cereal(Mikey) and Slinky.

MY cartoon lineup would be:
-Transformers
-Silverhawks
-Voltron
-Heathcliff
-The Littles
-Pac-Man

SitCom lineup:
-Silver Spoons
-Diff'rent Strokes
-Charles in Charge
-Mr. Belvedere

Action/Drama:
-Street Hawk
-Knight Rider
-V The Series

Jonna
07-22-2002, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by billfremore

It's all about F Troop, Baby!!!

I am beginning to feel really old as I am talking about the 80's, but bringing up shows from the 70's or earlier.:cry:

billfremore
07-22-2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Jonna
It's all about F Troop, Baby!!!

F Troop?
F-TROOP?

No way man it's gotta be the Rat Patrol. :D

sith_killer_99
09-18-2010, 02:29 PM
Well, I am all for this. I love the 80's and I would love to see a network dedicated to that decade.

I bought my kids all the seasons of "Fraggle Rock" on DVD.

There are just so many great shows from the 80's, some were fun, some were really creative, some were cheesy, and some were just so bad they were good.

We need an all 80's cable access channel complete with 80's commercials and all.

DarkArtist
09-23-2010, 01:27 PM
would love a station on TV devoted to the 80's that would be awesome... i miss those classic shows from back in the day... :D:D:D sign me up if this ever happens... I'll become a permenant couch potato and be glued to the set 24/7

Lord Malakite
09-24-2010, 12:18 AM
would love a station on TV devoted to the 80's that would be awesome...
You'd probably like RTV (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retro_Television_Network) then. Its one of those digital broadcast sub-channels that have popped up in recent years. Its offered nationwide (like This TV (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_TV), WSTV (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Springs_Television), etc.), though it isn't available in every broadcast area. Programming wise its very similar to TV Land in premise, though most of its programming appears to come from the late 1980's/early 1990's (with a few from the 1950's). They even plan on launching a Saturday children's block by the end of September that deals with nothing but retro kid's shows/cartoons (http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/2010/08/05/44253/rtv-bringing-back-retro-saturday-morning-tv).

DarthQuack
10-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Also The Hub (http://www.hubworld.com) is launching 10.10.10, replacing Discovery Kids....some classics they'll be airing are, Fraggle Rock :), the old G.I. Joe and Transformers G1 cartoons from the 80s, as well as even Family Ties! :) So keep an eye out for these as well as other shows on the so called Hasbro Network.