PDA

View Full Version : Try to explain this!!!

BoShek
07-20-2002, 09:19 PM
I watched ANH SE again today and I noticed one of Han's lines to Jabba didn't add up:

"Jabba, you're a wonderful human being."

Okay, I know George didn't plan on Jabba being Jabba and all of the real life answers.

But what about the Star Wars universe? Jabba isn't a human! He's a Hutt! Was Han being sarcastic? What's your take on this?

SQueek
07-20-2002, 09:26 PM
1 its a movie

2 its a movie

3 if dogs and cats and bears and stuff walked around talking i think we could also consider them human beings if they did everything we did.

4 its a movie

Darth Vellner
07-20-2002, 10:42 PM
I think its an insult ,calling him human .....from his point of view??:confused:

Exhaust Port
07-20-2002, 11:01 PM
I agree with Darth Vellner, I take it to be insulting to Jabba to call him human rather than a Hutt.

Rogue II
07-20-2002, 11:55 PM
When the film was shot, they had a human stand in as Jabba. At the time, he didn't plan on Jabba being a large sluglike creature. That is why Han looks awkward when steps on Jabba's tail. Harrison Ford walked behind the actor. They used computer graphics to make him step on Jabba's tail.
If I remember the interview with Lucas in the begining of the tape, he left that line in because he thought it was funny. So yes, it is sarcasm.

MikeAndTheBots
07-21-2002, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Rogue II
When the film was shot, they had a human stand in as Jabba. At the time, he didn't plan on Jabba being a large sluglike creature. That is why Han looks awkward when steps on Jabba's tail. Harrison Ford walked behind the actor. They used computer graphics to make him step on Jabba's tail.
If I remember the interview with Lucas in the begining of the tape, he left that line in because he thought it was funny. So yes, it is sarcasm.
I figured it was for a bit of humor. I never watched the interview though, but I agree that it was kind of funny.

MFH
07-21-2002, 12:58 AM
I think it was just supposed to be funny. It sounds a little strange to me, though.

stillakid
07-21-2002, 01:26 AM
I third that, or whatever. It's meant as an insult to Jabba.

rynobot
07-21-2002, 01:53 AM
EU explains how Hutts see themselves aboce all other life forms, and I also feel that Lucus felt it was an insult to Jabba too.

DarthBatman
07-21-2002, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by stillakid
I third that, or whatever. It's meant as an insult to Jabba.

I fourth that... or something.

Deckard Smith
07-21-2002, 03:03 AM
Did Mr. Lucas originally intend it to be an insult? or is it just retroactively insulting to the CGI Jabba that was placed in the film twenty years after the comment was recorded? What was his original intent with that dialogue? I enjoy it's ironic connotations in the film as it is now, but I don't think Mr. Lucas planned on a giant computerized slug when he filmed the scene 27 years ago.

JediTricks
07-21-2002, 06:01 AM
If I remember the interview with Lucas in the begining of the tape, he left that line in because he thought it was funny. So yes, it is sarcasm. Lucas has said for at least 10 years that I can remember - before the Special Edition project even - that Jabba in ANH was never meant to be the fat Scottish guy, that he was just a stand-in for an animated or superimposed puppet Jabba. According to SW.com (http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/jabbathehutt/bts.html): The script establishes Jabba to be a large, repulsive creature, an effect that George Lucas could not realize at the time. He is described as a "fat, slug-like creature with eyes on extended feelers and a huge ugly mouth." The scene was filmed with a stand-in actor, Declan Mulholland.

And they're right, in the script it reads:

Jabba is the grossest of the slavering hulks and his scarred face is a grim testimonial to his prowess as a vicious killer. He is a fat, slug-like creature with eyes on extended feelers and a huge ugly mouth.
Not exactly a perfect description of the Jabba we know today, but certainly not a human by any stretch of the imagination. However, what's strange is that the "you're a wonderful human being" line isn't in the script, so perhaps it was just improvised or was a last-minute addition.

Pendo
07-21-2002, 07:32 AM
I think Han is just being sarcastic. I don't know why but it seems it to me. Maybe we'll find out in Episode III that Jabba tried to turn himself into a Human or something, and Han is teasing him.

PENDO!

master jedi
07-21-2002, 05:24 PM
I've always took it as an insult.

Darth Vellner
07-21-2002, 08:37 PM
I thought I heard somewhere that at first jabba was to be furry
thats why the stand-in actor was wearing a furry vest, the rool of jabba was never ment to be human so the line("your a wonderful human being") was to have a different meaning

P.S. we should not be humans being
we should be humans doing :) Ha!!:D

Darth Vellner
07-21-2002, 08:39 PM
correction***the role of jabba***was never...bla bla...........sorry!

BoShek
07-21-2002, 11:26 PM
Okay, the insult line seems to fit, just like I though.

scruffziller
08-03-2002, 09:07 AM
Yep definately an insult.

hayden's_hunnie
08-03-2002, 04:46 PM
spot on they just couldnt change it, because harrison said he would not play or do han solo again, and they couldnt record over it without him

jjreason
08-03-2002, 06:03 PM
I would agree with sarcasm. Solo's known for his smart mouth, so it wouldn't be out of character for him to quip off like that to Jabba. Of course he's not a human being, that's part of the joke. I think it's even delivered like that..."You're a wonderful....human being.", like Han didn't even know what to call him. Im sure Jabba would take what he did say as an insult, however. Han was playing it up for his audience (Jabba's henchmen).

Rogue II
08-21-2002, 10:13 AM
Rather than starting another thread on about "Explain This" I am just adding it onto this one even though it is a different subject.

How did the Ewoks have all of the logs cut and in place to take out the AT-STs during the battle of Endor? There was the logs the AT-ST tripped over and the 2 logs that smashed the AT-ST's "head."

Pendo
08-21-2002, 10:20 AM
Maybe they were left over from another battle. Of they were there incase of emergencys. Or maybe they're quicker and stronger than they look and set it all up within 5 minutes.

I think they started to set them up when they saw Han and co. get captured. They could see AT-STs so knew what they were up against. The logs were probably already cut and would be used for their tree houses or something. They were started setting it up but was still setting it up as the battle had started. They don't use the logs until later on in the fight.

PENDO!

icatch9
08-21-2002, 11:28 AM
I agree with Pendo. They more than likly had them already cut for everyday use. Still we don't know how much time was inbetween the idea of an Ewok attack and the actual battle. It could of been days or hours. Still a large group of Ewoks could cut down a buch of trees real quick if they needed to.

El Chuxter
08-21-2002, 11:31 AM
I think there's an EU tale where Wickett sees an AT-ST trip and tells the Ewoks they can be beaten, so maybe they were already working on traps before the Rebels showed up?

Darth Vellner
08-21-2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by icatch9
I agree with Pendo. They more than likly had them already cut for everyday use. Still we don't know how much time was inbetween the idea of an Ewok attack and the actual battle. It could of been days or hours. Still a large group of Ewoks could cut down a buch of trees real quick if they needed to.

I think thats it!! The thing about Star Wars (and Movies in general) is the time frame. Did it happen 5 min. or 5 days later???
We also Don't know the moons rotation, Is there day 24 hours or is it longer maybe one Endor day = two Earth days... I would think it was a day or two before the attack took place

Rogue II
08-21-2002, 08:36 PM
I guess that makes sense. They could have built the traps and then lead the Imperials to them.

Darth Vellner is right about the time frame in the movies, I wish it were explained better.