PDA

View Full Version : 4th Star Tours Droid (DL-X2) Revealed!!

Beast
07-21-2002, 03:44 AM
American Dream Comics has pictures of the 4th droid in the Star Tours Line. A odd looking Power Droid/Welding type of droid. So that brings the count to 4. Will they actually produce the 6 that were originally rumored? Only time will tell. :)

Beast
07-21-2002, 03:45 AM
A closer look at the droid in the bubble:

Beast
07-21-2002, 03:47 AM
And finally, the back of the card:

JediTricks
07-21-2002, 05:58 AM
It's a security droid, it warns and then shuts down the G2 droids who aren't being productive enough since the Star Tours boarding line was diverted through their section. It's fairly hard to spot in the Disneyland version (the only one I've ever been to), it's in the lower south corner of the 2nd room in the queue (not counting that new mini-line room they added outside, what a lame idea that was!) and you have to lean over the railing to get a good look at it.

Hasbro's version is ok, but a little sloppy IMO - not sharp enough. It kinda looks like a Dalek's wimpy little brother. :D

The True Maul
07-21-2002, 06:41 AM
Looks cool can't wait to get it!! :)

Jargo
07-21-2002, 08:06 AM
I dunno, looks cobbled together to me like all the star tours droids. They look like something from a cheapo productions star wars rip off movie from the early eighties. The figures just make them look even more like that. And the plastic used to make them is the cheapest looking plastic yet. the way you get the sort of unmixed look with veins of a darker color running through. That's the cheap recycled plastic look found in black market toys that make their way to impoverished stores when they can't afford the major brands.

No, not impressed at all. These make the regular star wars line look like dynamite. bet you never thought you'd hear me say that actually saying the star wars figures are good. Well in comparison they are. These star tours figures don't look to be worth a dollar let alone whatever exorbitant sum Disney and the fan club will charge. I certainly won't be breaking my neck to try and get hold of them leaving plenty for those who will buy any old tat. :)

Jek Porky 2002
07-21-2002, 08:20 AM
These are pointless, and they look so cheap!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-21-2002, 01:27 PM
I'd rather have those bird droids, the second R3 Droid, the R5 droid, or G2-9T, instead of some damn thing you can't even see! Even a frickin' Mon Calamari, or the seatbelt lady with all the hair on one side of her head, and not a trash can maintenence man!
Oh well, at least they're making Star Tours figures . . .

hango fett
07-21-2002, 02:36 PM
this new one is a pice of junk. a little box with a thing sticking out of one side.....oy....and why are they still on POTJ cards?

Beast
07-21-2002, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by hango fett
this new one is a pice of junk. a little box with a thing sticking out of one side.....oy....and why are they still on POTJ cards?
They are still on POTJ style cards, because they were originally supposed to come out last year. I don't consider them part of the POTJ line though. Not only because that line is over, but because you notice that the "Power of the Jedi" logo is absent from the cards. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

SirSteve
07-21-2002, 03:37 PM
I agree JJB and made them into their own line in our Collector's Database.

Lt Kettch
07-21-2002, 05:11 PM
I think this thing looks really lame myself, but honestly I'm not too thrilled with any of the star tours figures.

Question: Did Lucasfilm, George or any of his cohorts come up with these characters from Star Tours? Or are they creations of Disney? I would lean on the second idea, its my guess George just approved them. Just looking at them, to me, they don't seem like they came from the same mind as everything else Star Wars.

Mace Windex
07-21-2002, 06:05 PM
I was at Disney this weekend and they told me that more (than the current 3) figures will be coming out by Christmas. They also mentioned a new ship designed like the ride.
R3 is a very cool droid. He is not a re-hash of the sneak preview R3 unit. He has wheels on his legs, and a totally redesigned dome. ALso, the wiring inside the dome is different than that of the sneak Preview R3. He is the only one I bought to keep.

LTBasker
07-21-2002, 07:16 PM
Mace Windex, the body is from R2-D2 Naboo Escape.

Actually I like DL-X2, it would look nice in a diorama next to FX-7. Even if it is cheaply made, remember these are just exclusives for the parks, not meant to make it to the whole public, so instead of putting alot of work for little profit into the figures, they don't have to worry about losing alot of money from them if they don't sell well.

mark2d2
07-21-2002, 09:37 PM
Yeah, I think it's an interesting figure. I'll pick one up. He's the love child of FX-Y and a power droid. It's a great background character for displays and the like.

If the Sandcrawler I keep dreaming about ever sees the light of day, he'll look just swell hanging out with the rest of the droids.

brentfett
07-21-2002, 11:14 PM
I'm sure these will all be collector's items and everyone will scramble to get them, but face it, they're just lame figures. The first two I could stomach, but as more come out it just seems like corporate giants, Disney, Hasbro, Lucasfilm all cashing in and laughing all the way to the bank. I personally will save my money for REAL Star Wars figures.

Chiesa
07-22-2002, 02:39 AM
Personally I feel that that is a piece of work where not much effort and time was spent on in making... SHODDY WORKMANSHIP! ;(

DARTH DUBIOUS
07-22-2002, 06:53 AM
I suppose with a little work and a lot of paint These could - could be made to look half decent. I think Mark2D2's idea is the best one. Just throw them into a sandcraler and they sink into a mess of droid in the background... in the dark... virtually unseen. :) Mace Windex, do you have a scanner or camera that you could get us a good close up of the R3 droid dome? I'm interested to see if the dome is realy different enough to warrant going after. Different dome is good but if it's just a repainted R3-T7 then... It would just be cool to see a close up of the dome. The pic we have so far is a little dark and unclear.

Herby
07-22-2002, 06:59 AM
I've gotta admit, I wanted them until the most recent...the amazing triangle droid with small gray arm. I think whether or not I order these will depend on the price point when the bundle of them is available at the fan club. The R3 is pretty nice, though.

Pschtyckque
07-22-2002, 10:48 AM
If you think the sculpt of the DL-X2 droid is bad, you should see the original droid. I used to work on the CA Tours, and I have seen this droid up close. The sculpt is dead on to what the droid actually looks like.

And for the record, it was known as the security droid. All it did was extend and retract its arm.

Jargo
07-22-2002, 12:38 PM
Pschtyckque - unusual name.....

I've been sitting here today looking at these things. Or rather the pictures I've downloaded. I was thinking maybe G2-4T and RX-24 might be reasonably cool to own but the other two hmmm, DL-X2 just looks like a packing trunk with a broken handle and the R3 droid - well if you want a decent R3 just go buy R3-T7. At least R3-T7 has articulated ankles and a retractable middle leg. But I guess if the dome is different then like Darh Dubious said it might be worth geting to customise it onto a better R2 body. These have sort of grown on me all of today. I'd have to open them if I got hold of any of course.

I hear there might be another two figures and the starspeeder vehicle itself by xmas. Could be rumour but it'd be cool if they release the vehicle. I could possibly go nuts for the vehicle. Did anyone notice the Naboo spaceport shuttle in AOTC looked just a smidgeon like the starspeeder? maybe I'm fuzzy on the memory but it certainly struck a chord of recognition with me. :)

Pschtyckque
07-22-2002, 01:11 PM
Heh. Thanks. ;)

TEE KAY-421
07-22-2002, 05:18 PM
I WOULDN'T WANT THESE SILLY ROBOTS EVEN IF DISNEYLAND SENT THEM TO ME IN THE MAIL FOR FREE!!!!

ARE THESE CHARACTERS WHICH APPEAR IN STAR TOURS OR STAR WARS???
ARE THEY IN THE EXPANDED UNIVERSE???

(In truth, the R3 droid does look pretty cool & I'd be psyched if the force braught one my way. But I'm not going to plan an Evil Disney Empire vacation just to pick up these "droids")

It's hard enough just to pick up all of the figures which are currently on the racks of my local Target.

Pschtyckque
07-22-2002, 05:24 PM
Most of the ones are just from Star Tours, but there are 4 droids in the attraction form the SW Universe. R2, 3P0, R5-D4, and R4-M7.

evenflow
07-23-2002, 11:58 AM
I hope that I can pick them all up, although this one does seem a little cheap.

Beast
07-23-2002, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by DARTH DUBIOUS
Mace Windex, do you have a scanner or camera that you could get us a good close up of the R3 droid dome? I'm interested to see if the dome is realy different enough to warrant going after. Different dome is good but if it's just a repainted R3-T7 then... It would just be cool to see a close up of the dome. The pic we have so far is a little dark and unclear.
Darth Dubious, here are some loose shots of the droid from Rebelscum. The astromech's dome is definatly quite a bit different. Not only the insides but the clear dome itself. Here you go, enjoy. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
07-23-2002, 06:20 PM
Here is the other loose shot of the droid from Rebelscum. Again notice the differences. The top and rear eye are a different style, and the one ontop is in a different spot. The holoprojector eye is also a different style. And he doesnt have that lil round circle near his center eye, among other things. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks