PDA

View Full Version : Tranfering DVD Onto VHS

Jek Porky 2002
07-21-2002, 07:44 AM
I've recently learned how to transfer a DVD onto a VHS tape by putting the DVD players scart lead into the VHS's line 2 scart socket. But when I press record on the video the picture starts to go all funny, as if someone has turned up the colour on the TV, is this because I'm not using the right kind of scart lead or is the DVD designed to do this to combat bootlegging?

BTW, I'm not bootleging as such because I'm not selling them, I'm only doing it ecause I'm the only person in my family to own a DVD player, so I put them onto tap for my sister and the rest of my family!

derek
07-21-2002, 12:18 PM
it is an anti-copy feature that movie companies are using.

Pendo
07-21-2002, 12:20 PM
Are there and DVDs that don't have the anti-copy feature or do they all have them?

PENDO!

DeadEye
07-21-2002, 01:25 PM
I'd imagine they all have them, or at least newer DVDs have them, just like newer CDs have anti-copy features. There might be some way to bypass it, I'm not sure...

Beast
07-21-2002, 01:30 PM
Alot of DVD's have Macrovision, or one of the other typical copyguard protections. Usually it's only on big name movies where bootlegs are are a problem to be cost effective. It's harder to get around then the version that is on Video Cassette's, because the copyguard chip is built into the machines. The great thing about Laserdiscs, is that it was impossible for them to put copyguard on the discs. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
07-21-2002, 02:05 PM
Thanx for the info guys!

PENDO!

Jek Porky 2002
07-21-2002, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the info, would the same happen if I wanted to copy a VHS onto another VHS?

BTW, it doesnt work on all of them, I tried copying the DVD of a comedy series we have over here called the League Of Gentlemen, you've probably heard of it Pendo, anyway the quality was fine, I'll have to go through all 21 of my DVD's and check them!

2-1B
07-21-2002, 08:58 PM
I have one DVD that isn't encoded, it's called The Stars of Star Wars. Most of my other discs are "mainstream", so I presume those are all protected.

Jek, just playing the DVD thru your VCR will give a slight color twinge every few minutes, most people don't notice it but it's there. :)

Darth Shifty
07-22-2002, 11:14 AM
I think one of the problems is the VCR that you use. I have an old VCR that isn't affected by Macrovision like the newer VCR's. If your VCR came out before Macrovision, you should be able to play/record your dvd's through the VCR.

pthfnder89
07-22-2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Jek Porky 2002
Thanks for the info, would the same happen if I wanted to copy a VHS onto another VHS?

Jek Porky - Most VHS tapes do not have Macrovision although I have run into a few that were protected. It may be a recent trend, but I haven't had any reason to buy a VHS in the last 5 years aside from TPM, so I haven't needed to copy any.:) It's all about that DVD baby!

Anyway, like you said, not all DVDs have Macrovision Copy protection. It's completely up to the manufacturer. But virtually every mainstream Hollywood DVD has it because the major studios viciously guard their properties.

JEDIpartner
10-09-2003, 10:31 AM
My Region-free, Code-free DVD player also has no Macrovision on it. I need to find a VCR that doesn't have Macrovision on it so I can dub a couple things for my mum.

sith_killer_99
10-09-2003, 11:10 AM
If you have a DVD player on your computer there are several programs and various ways of using your DVD player to transfer to VHS.

A "Dazzle" might work.

I happen to have an ATI All-in-Wonder video card in my system, I have never tried to copy a DVD to VHS, but I may give it a shot just to see how it goes.

BTW, don't let the man get you down. Copying a DVD to VHS so that you can watch it with your family should be covered under the fair use laws, as long as you can get around their stupid "copy guard".

I also have a couple of programs that allow you to copy DVD's onto your hard drive and change formats (compress the files) to Divx, VCD or SVCD etc. Unfortunatly I have yet to find the perfect program that will copy ANY DVD to my hard drive. :(

plo koon 200
10-09-2003, 11:20 AM
Actually from what I can recall it is the DVD player that has Macrovision and if the manufacturer wants to they can put additoanl anti-pirating features. Not even all old VHS players can copy DVD's. Usually the DVD identifies that it is going through more than one source. That is why if you have PS-2 and you buy a convertor thingy that allows you to put the three cords into it and turn it into a monocord you get no picture. I know I can transfer VHS to DVD and I have done it several times. Getting DVD to VHS is another story.