PDA

View Full Version : What was the WORST Sci-Fi movie you ever saw and why?

JON9000
07-21-2002, 05:24 PM
Since Eight Legged Freaks is making a run for the title- I thought it would be interesting to hear people's experiences with awful Science Fiction movies- what was the worst you ever saw and what made it so lame?

I have to say the worst I ever saw was:

Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone. Peter Weller in a post apocalyptic struggle against Michael Ironside to rescue a couple of babes in gold hot pants with Molly Ringwald along for the ride. MST3K all way.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
07-21-2002, 06:39 PM
Starship Troopers

Stupid plotline. Stupid ending. Just plain stupid.

DeadEye
07-21-2002, 06:48 PM
No! How dare you! Starship Troopers is one of the best damn movies ever made! There's not a single flaw with it! :mad:

Jacen Solo
07-21-2002, 07:04 PM
I'm with DeadEye Starshilp Troopers was a good movie, I'd have to say the worst Sci-fi movie I ever saw was probably The Last Starfighter, it was really stupid, just so QLD knows it was a tough decision between that and E.T.

DarthBrandon
07-21-2002, 07:21 PM
Battlefield Earth was the worst Sci-Fi movie I've ever seen, didn't do L. Ron Hubbard's novel justice at all. The book was a hundred times better.

DeadEye
07-21-2002, 07:35 PM
Brandon, you're right about Battlefield Earth. The book was 1,000 pages long, and the movie ends on about page 200. I'm serious. :D

r2dee2
07-21-2002, 07:53 PM
IMHO, Nightfall was the worst SF movie I've ever seen. It was based on Asimov's wonderful short story but Asimov had his name removed from the credits it was so bad. The acting was TERRIBLE!

I'm afraid I enjoyed Starship Troopers and it seemed to follow the Heinlein juvenile line he produced.

I enjoyed the book Battlefield Earth a lot more than the movie...but the movie is still not as bad as Nightfall.......IMVHO!!

DarthBrandon
07-21-2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by DeadEye
Brandon, you're right about Battlefield Earth. The book was 1,000 pages long, and the movie ends on about page 200. I'm serious. :D

I don't recall how many pages exactly were in the novel, but I do know it was dam long, and took me a month to read during dead time at work. I agree the movie ends around page 200 though. LOL

master jedi
07-21-2002, 08:26 PM
Not including MST3k movies but I think THX-1138 was probably the worst Sci-Fi movie I've ever seen. What was Lucas smoking when he made this movie 'cause I want 2 of 'em.

jjreason
07-21-2002, 08:29 PM
Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Only because my 8 year old expectations were for action, action, action - and I got NONE. WHATSOEVER. I hated it so much, I've never watched it again. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad now, but I was ****$ed back then.

DeadEye
07-21-2002, 09:46 PM
If you're disappointed by movies with no action, then don't watch The Sum of All Fears...one of the biggest disappointments ever...(although it's not sci-fi.) :D

SWAFMAN
07-21-2002, 10:09 PM
I don't recall the name of it, but there was a sci-fi with a very, very young Don Johnson roaming this post-apocalyptic wasteland. I think he had a dog with him. I think that was the worst sci-fi I ever saw.
Logan's Run would be a close second.
IMO, Last Starfighter wasn't that bad. I especially liked watching it with my kids. There are precious few movies I can enjoy with the kids. I wish film makers would make more sci-fi and action films that parent could watch with the kids. I think I feel another thread coming on.....

r2dee2
07-21-2002, 10:59 PM
SWAFFY....the Don Johnson movie was called a Boy and his Dog......though STILL not as bad as Nightfall IMVeryHO:D

LTBasker
07-21-2002, 11:11 PM
I enjoyed Starship Troopers AND the Last Starfighter (Pablo Jill from E2 really looks like a Zandozan).

The worst sci-fi movie I ever saw was this GodZilla rip-off movie made in Denmark, have no idea what the name of it was. It was really terrible. You only ever saw the head or the tail of the monster, and when it would "spit slime" it would look like it was just slime running down the screen. When it would eat people, there would be these edges around the people that looked like paper, really really really BAAAAAAAAAAADDDD movie. Battlefield Earth looks great compared to that, that's how bad it was!

DeadEye
07-21-2002, 11:21 PM
Well, the special effects were not the problem with the movie Battlefield Earth. :D

JediTricks
07-22-2002, 03:20 AM
I gotta agree with Hasbro'sBountyHunter, Starship Troopers was one of the worst pieces of garbage I ever saw. The biting edge that Paul Verhoeven brought to Robocop was sadly dulled to almost nothing at all and what was left was washed out by a poor story. The cast blew and the story was badly paced, I left the theater feeling robbed of my time and that's fairly rare for me.

Dollman was another, though it was clearly meant to be nothing more than dreck. Still, Tim Thomerson really needs to try turning a role down once in a while.

Speaking of "______man" movies, I hated Darkman, I'd rather watch the entire season of M.A.N.T.I.S. than sit through Darkman again.

Finally, we come to what has got to be the worst big-budget sci-fi film I've ever seen, even worse than Starship Troopers. When you think back to those days when the Episode I trailer's release was exciting news, you may remember a little piece of crap they called WING COMMANDER! Freddie Prinze Jr. and Matthew Lillard take to the stars, you say? Space 'em both, I say! This flick was bad from the costumes to the effects to the so-called plot, the only way it could be any worse would be to make a sequel!!! If you have to ask why this film was bad, you haven't seen it.

LTBasker
07-22-2002, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Finally, we come to what has got to be the worst big-budget sci-fi film I've ever seen, even worse than Starship Troopers. When you think back to those days when the Episode I trailer's release was exciting news, you may remember a little piece of crap they called WING COMMANDER! Freddie Prinze Jr. and Matthew Lillard take to the stars, you say? Space 'em both, I say! This flick was bad from the costumes to the effects to the so-called plot, the only way it could be any worse would be to make a sequel!!! If you have to ask why this film was bad, you haven't seen it.

I think the thing I like most about Starship Troopers is that it was the military feel plus all the battling and they really reacted well to the CGI bugs. I have to admit though, some of the acting is down in alot of scenes. The FOX series was pretty good too, didn't really follow the movie all that much.

Wing Commander I have to agree on, that movie was beyond terrible. The only good part of it was the french guy (don't know his name) cause he's a pretty good actor. One thing that really got me, was why they didn't just push that girl's fighter INTO the hangar bay. It was far enough on the pad for the bulldozer to get behind it. It seems like not only would they not be short another pilot, but they could've fixed the fighter so that they would have at least the fighter for another pilot even if the girl didn't survive. :rolleyes:

Beast
07-22-2002, 08:13 AM
I have seen way to many to list, but let's see. I am a fan of bad sci-fi movies, for the cheese factor. But some movies just cross the bad cheesy stage and become craptaculer. I can only think of three right now that I can recall the names of, I'll post more later.

Wing Commander - Definate garbage. I actually payed money to see this piece of filth. The aliens in the movie were beyond laughable. Avoid unless you love torturing yourself. Mark Hammil was wise to avoid this stinker. :)

Godzilla (Matthew Broderick version) - Leave it to the U.S.A to take a decent japanese franchise and suceed into turning into the worst pile of crap I have ever seen. The second half of the movie suddenly turns into Jurassic Park 2. :crazed:

Starship Troopers - I think Verhoven is an great director. Robocop and Basic Instinct were good, but this movie just sucks. It's basically a teen movie with a bunch of giant bugs running around. Thanks, I'll skip this and watch ALIENS instead. :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

icatch9
07-22-2002, 08:51 AM
I've got one on you all. The worst movie I've ever seen, sci fi or not is 8 Man. It's a Japanees movie about some sort of robot cop (not even close to Robo Cop). Looks a little like Ultra Man, but not as cool. Anyway, I had to watch a Japanees movie for a Far East Culture class I took in college. Anyway, I picked that one and wish I hadn't. It was horrible. It's not like there was some culture differences either. It just didn't make since and had no where to go.

I can't understand how you guys are picking on all these newer sci fi movies. Sci Fi has been around a long time and a heck of a lot of movies are worse than JP2 or Gozilla or Starship Troopers. I mean some of those moives from the 70's are just so hard to watch. At least Godzilla and SST are a little entertaining with the blood and guts of SST and all the destruction in Godzilla. I don't know that's just what I think.

DarthBrandon
07-22-2002, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by SWAFMAN
I don't recall the name of it, but there was a sci-fi with a very, very young Don Johnson roaming this post-apocalyptic wasteland. I think he had a dog with him. I think that was the worst sci-fi I ever saw.
Logan's Run would be a close second.
IMO, Last Starfighter wasn't that bad. I especially liked watching it with my kids. There are precious few movies I can enjoy with the kids. I wish film makers would make more sci-fi and action films that parent could watch with the kids. I think I feel another thread coming on.....

I think the movie you're referring to is called Steel Dawn and it stared Patrick Swayze. It was filmed right after Dirty Dancing. A Boy And His Dog is another with Don Johnson, they both sucked big time. The one you're talking about, did they sword fight in the movie ? If so then it's Patrick, if not then Don Johnson.

billfremore
07-22-2002, 12:11 PM
It may not be the worst Sci-fi film ever but it was certainly high on the crapfest list:

Supernova

Can you believe I passed on Pitch Black to see this instead?

As for the Starship Troopers debate, I find either you loved it or hated it. Personally I thought it was fun and I enjoyed it for what it was.
I probably liked it so much because I didn't find it too predictable.

Darth Shifty
07-22-2002, 01:01 PM
I probably wouldn't have hated Starship Troopers as much if I hadn't read the novel first. Robert Heinlen must have been doing cartwheels in his grave over that one. The movie really didn't follow the book at all and I swear I started crying at the end when Dougie Howser puts his hand on the brain bug and spouts that "It's afraid" line. :cry: Oh, the horror!

Jonna
07-22-2002, 01:20 PM
The best and worst Sci-fi film ever was 'Hell Comes To Frogsville' or something like that. Come on, the hero was Rowdy Rowdy Piper!

billfremore
07-22-2002, 01:23 PM
Hey man, Roddy was awesome in "They Live".

I find if your going to like movies you have to have a balanced diet of good ones, bad ones and a healthy dose of pure cheesy ones.:D

Jonna
07-22-2002, 01:27 PM
Alright, "They Live" wasn't that bad, but "Hell comes to Frogsville/town"........ No wait!!!

Forget about all that I just thought of a worse one. Alien From LA with Kathy Ireland. This was brilliantly horrible, especially the MST3K version.

jeddah
07-22-2002, 01:34 PM
I take it none of you have seen Arachnid, then????

It's an AAACs film*. I hired it on the strength of a magazine review which - when I returned the video I realised - was a word for word reprint of the back cover blurb....obviously some lazy weevil had not watched the film and decided to make a false review up. The funny thing was that scenes referred to in the blurb had been cut from the final edit so it was all rather obvious what she'd done. Beeeeyotch!:frus:

Remember this AAAC warning

jeddah
* Avoid at all costs

billfremore
07-22-2002, 01:38 PM
Ahh I love movies that are sooo bad they're funny.

This is why I love the movie, Operation: Golden Phoenix

Jedi Knightrider
07-22-2002, 01:47 PM
anyone see The Philadelphia Experiment?

DarthBrandon
07-22-2002, 01:51 PM
Yep, it stared Michael Pare. Awesome movie in my opinion.

Jedi Knightrider
07-22-2002, 01:57 PM
I don't know, man. The idea is really cool. Especially if you buy into the fact that it actually happened - but the writing and acting was pretty bad.

billfremore
07-22-2002, 01:58 PM
If you want bad writing and acting, find a copy of Operation: Golden Phoenix

You'll never look at bad movie the same way again.:D

DarthBrandon
07-22-2002, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Knightrider
I don't know, man. The idea is really cool. Especially if you buy into the fact that it actually happened - but the writing and acting was pretty bad.

You have to take into consideration that this movie is 10 + years old and the acting would appear to be bad, but it wasn't when I saw it back then.

Beast
07-22-2002, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Knightrider
anyone see The Philadelphia Experiment?
Awesome movie. Plus the fact that it's loosely based on real events, well the disapearing Aircraft Carrier anyway. I love the shots when it reappears and some of the crew are fused into the ship's deck. Really good flick for it's time. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
07-22-2002, 02:11 PM
Does Beach Babes from Beyond count?

THAT is a truly horrible movie....but at least it had T & A.

Jedi Knightrider
07-22-2002, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
Does Beach Babes from Beyond count?

THAT is a truly horrible movie....but at least it had T & A.

Yes it does.

Yes it is... and yes it did.

DeadEye
07-22-2002, 03:16 PM
I liked Starship Troopers...ILM really outdid themselves on that one...the CG bugs looked great in that movie, which is 5 years old, and they really couldn't look any better if it were released today.

Some other stupid sci-fi movies:
-Event Horizon: contradictory, dull, and predictable.
-Sphere: One of the worst films I've ever seen.
-Space Truckers: The trailers made this movie look really good! It was some half-baked plot about killer alien robots...then there were space pirates thrown in for some reason...and then at the end, the hero drops an explosive suitcase onto the president's limo.....:rolleyes: :crazed:

Beast
07-22-2002, 03:20 PM
Some other stupid sci-fi movies:
-Event Horizon: contradictory, dull, and predictable.
Event Horizen would be alot better, but suffers from being cut by the studio. Most of the good stuff waas cut from the film, and that causes the film to suffer. There is a special edition DVD being planned for next year. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DeadEye
07-22-2002, 03:21 PM
Is it just me, or did the Event Horizon ship look a lot like a Nebulon-B frigate? ;):D

Mandalorian Candidat
07-22-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by r2dee2
IMHO, Nightfall was the worst SF movie I've ever seen. It was based on Asimov's wonderful short story but Asimov had his name removed from the credits it was so bad. The acting was TERRIBLE!

Yes! This movie was soooo bad. I remember wanting to see it so badly that I even bribed a friend to go with me so I would have some company. I can't believe how horrible it was. I couldn't figure out what the big deal was about the suns setting at the same time. Bunch of wusses! Plus the sex scenes were so comical I just laughed. Then that dopey chick from Superman 2 gets her eyes voluntarily eaten out by that falcon. How dumb was that! I have to say that gets my vote.

An honorable mention goes to Cyborg with JCVD. That was almost as bad, but at least it had a couple of decent fight scenes.

Jedi Knightrider
07-22-2002, 03:34 PM
Is it just me, or did the Event Horizon ship look a lot like a Nebulon-B frigate? ;):D

i thought it looked like a klingon battle cruiser, myself... there's a lot of spaceships with a long stalk between the propulsion and command decks.

billfremore
07-22-2002, 04:04 PM
I guess I'm the only guy who liked Event Horizon then.

Well fine.

More copies for me when it comes out on DVD so there. :p

Jonna
07-22-2002, 04:05 PM
I didn't mind it. The plot behind it was interesting, but something was just lacking in the movie.

billfremore
07-22-2002, 04:13 PM
It just felt like Hellraiser in space to me.

(I know that Hellraiser: Bloodlines already was in space so I recognize the silliness of my statement but that's how I felt about it, so no need to point it out to me)

Jonna
07-22-2002, 04:15 PM
Poke Poke Poke!!!

DeadEye
07-22-2002, 06:21 PM
Hellraiser? Um...what's that?

Darth Shifty
07-22-2002, 06:25 PM

Kids these days...:rolleyes:

DeadEye
07-22-2002, 06:35 PM
Seriously! What is it? Another great movie series I missed? Just how many movie series am I missing out on?

Beast
07-22-2002, 06:55 PM
Respect meter drops another fathom. ;) Just kidding DeadEye, seriously man you really need to rent some of these movies. Rent just Hellraiser and Hellbound: Hellraiser II for now. 3 is only for hardcore fans, 4 was butchered by the studio but is ok, and 5 sucks on toast. Pick up Re-Animator and Bride of Re-Animator while you are at it. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
07-22-2002, 06:57 PM
Seriously! What is it? Another great movie series I missed? Just how many movie series am I missing out on?

It's a horror series, I've only seen parts of the first movie. (:() but the main character is Pinhead. (Very freaky feller)

Just a little tidbit I thought I'd add. One of the antenna arrays on the Event Horizon that you can see when they're first going over the ship with their search light is supposedly an X-wing. (IMDb lists that, but I haven't gotten a chance to confirm it.)

QLD
07-22-2002, 07:21 PM
I still go with Beach Babes from Beyond. And also, perhaps, Redneck Butcher Zombies. :D

Jacen Solo
07-22-2002, 08:31 PM

He probably doesn't know what Lawnmower man is either. Hey DeadEye you have heard of Spaceballs right?:stupid:

Jonna
07-22-2002, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Pick up Re-Animator and Bride of Re-Animator while you are at it. :)Jar Jar Binks

Whuooooo Neile!!! Don't tell him Bride of Re-Animator before From Beyond. You'll confuse the boy!:p

Beast
07-22-2002, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Jonna
Whuooooo Neile!!! Don't tell him Bride of Re-Animator before From Beyond. You'll confuse the boy!:p
From Beyond is an excellent film. Sadly no R1 DVD release. I listed stuff that was available on DVD. Actually V: The Final Battle isn't out until August 6th, but it had to be mentioned. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DeadEye
07-23-2002, 12:23 AM
Too late...you've already confused me.

Jacen Solo--no, I actually have no idea what the hell Lawnmower Man is. And I've heard of Spaceballs, but never seen it.

Thumb Wars
07-23-2002, 12:57 AM
never seen Spaceballs!!!! i think i might faint . . . Spaceballs is one of the greatest spoofs of Star Wars there is. just about every true fan has seen this movie at least once. i have it on DVD, next to Thumb Wars. oh boy.

Lawnmower Man was another good sci-fi film, although i really did not like the second too much. it was good, but no original. seemed a little cheesy to me.

JediTricks
07-23-2002, 01:01 AM
JJB just reminded me of another piece of dreck: Masters of the Universe. This film is sloppy and mangles the pre-existing canon of the cartoon it's based off of, but mostly it's just a cast that doesn't have any chemistry, bad makeup (Frank Langella should be ASHAMED of his role as Skeletor), and on and on like that. Supposedly, the movie "Cyborg" is based off the script for the MOTU sequel!

I also hated Alien3 and Alien Ressurection, both were abominations. Alien3 was just a mess IMO, nothing redeeming about the way that whole film played out, and the sequel asked too much of the audience and felt more like a linear video game than a piece of cinema.

DeadEye
07-23-2002, 01:05 AM
JT, I disagree. Aside from the horrid alien puppet, I think Alien3 was pretty good...although it would have been better if it hadn't been cut to hell. I would have liked it if it used the original script, in which Hicks was the hero and the Company found an airborne virus that infected people and turned them into Aliens. :D

Alien Resurrection, on the other hand, was like a damn comic book...ironic, because it's the only film in the series where the Aliens look good.

And no, I've never seen Spaceballs, or Thumb Wars, or Hardware Wars, or George Lucas in Love.

Beast
07-23-2002, 01:12 AM
I also hated Alien3 and Alien Ressurection, both were abominations. Alien3 was just a mess IMO, nothing redeeming about the way that whole film played out, and the sequel asked too much of the audience and felt more like a linear video game than a piece of cinema.
Alien 3 only sucks because it was edited so heavily. About 30-40 minutes or more of decent scenes were scrapped. FOX wants to do a Director's Cut and restore all the cut scenes back in, but David Fincher won't have anything to do it. They just need to pony up the case, take the film away from him and give it to someone that can repiar that dreck. Alien 4 was pretty stinky also. By the way, here is what was cut from Alien 3:

Alien 3 was heavily edited before its theatrical release. The following list includes most of the allegedly deleted scenes, a lot of which would have fleshed out the characters and themes much more satisfactorily if they had been left in:
just before the autopsy, there is a scene with Clemens, Ripley, and Prisoner Kevin walking down the spiral stairs into the morgue where Clemens questions Ripley about her need to acertain Newt's death and also asks her if Newt was her daughter;
just before Ripley enters the mess Hall with her newly shaved head after the funeral, there is an interesting little scene that builds character development. It concerns Prisoners Boggs and Rains and their complaints to Dillon about Prisoner Golic being crazy, how Golic smells bad, and how they don't want to go into the tunnels to work with him. Dillon adamantly tells them they must do their job and have no choice;
in the scene where Ripley asks Clemens if he is attracted to her and he tells her she is very direct, Ripley's reply of "I've been out here a long time" was not originally included;
in the scene where prisoner Murphy becomes the alien's first victim in the vent shaft, he is singing a different tune than that heard in the theatrical version;
right after the scene where Ripley finds the flight recorder on the EEV, there is a scene where Dillon sees Boggs, Rains, and Golic, off on their excursion into the tunnels (where we first see them together theatrically) in which Dillon asks them to light a candle for the dead prisoner Murphy (the first victim in the vent shaft);
the scene where Warden Andrews and Clemens meet to discuss Ripley is longer, with Clemens telling Andrews that Ripley was part of a combat team that came to grief, Andrews insinuating that something is going on between Clemens and Ripley, and Andrews telling Clemens to get the hell out;
during Ripley's conversation with the reconnected Bishop, there are intercut scenes of a crazed and bloody Golic being found in the mess hall by Eric, the cook, who panics and drops the dishes, and how Golic is grabbed by the others (Clemens, 85, Andrews, and Dillon) and dragged to the infirmary;
in the scene in the infirmary where Clemens and Ripley are talking, a tied up Golic interrupts with a few lines about how in an insane world, an insane man must appear to be sane, Clemens sarcastically thanks him;
after the Alien kills Clemens and Ripley runs out of the infirmary, there is a close-up of Golic's face admiring the alien and he repeats "Magnificent";
after Warden Andrews death, when the prisoners are deciding what to do, when Morse says they should take Ripley's head and "bash it through the F***ing wall," Ripley replies "That sounds good to me...";
when the explosions in the tunnels occur, there is an approximate 10 minute chunk of the film that was deleted. It begins with added shots of the prisoners being consumed by the fire as Ripley and Dillon hurry to get them to safety. One of the prisoners is hurt badly and Ripley is trying to help him. His friend Junior (the guy with the tear tatoo who initially attacks Ripley in the attempted rape scene) looks at Ripley (there is almost a look of reconciliation) and when Dillon arrives, he asks Junior to turn the sprinklers on. Junior runs for the sprinklers but another prisoner yells to Junior to look out behind him. When Junior turns, the alien crawls down from the ceiling as the others (including Ripley and Dillon try to lure it away. Issuing a cry of challenge, Junior runs into the Toxic Waste room, causing the alien to run in after him and sacrificing his life, as Ripley and Dillon lock the doors and the sounds of the alien killing him are heard outside. Dillon turns on the sprinklers and next there is a scene where Dillon is leading a prayer for those who sacrificed themselves and died. As Ripley and 85 look in from above they discuss religion, as well as 85 saying that the company will arrive to kill the trapped alien with smart guns. Ripley asks him what if they won't kill it, and he doesn't believe this. Then there is a scene in the infirmary with Golic pleading with Morse to untie him while Morse is shaving his own head. Morse reluctantly unties him and after Golic asks him, tells him where the alien is trapped. Golic knocks him out and hurries out of the room. Next, there is a scene where 85 and Ripley are sending a transmission to the company about the trapped xenomorph and Ripley, testing the company's intentions, requests permission to terminate the alien. The company quickly replies they are not to do anything against the alien, confirming Ripley's suspicions. Then Golic arrives at the Toxic waste dump and tells the prisoner guarding the door he must talk to the creature. The prisoner shrugs him off and suddenly Golic slits his throat and opens the door, telling the alien he'll do anything he wants. Golic's screams as the alien attacks. Ripley then tells Dillon about the company's plans to keep the alien alive and Dillon says he doesn't care. Ripley insists that innocent people will die and Dillon tells him that the world outside does not exist for them. Morse rushes in and tells them he has bad news. The three of them, along with 85 go to the dump where 85 blames Morse for the insane Golic's actions.
when Ripley complains of feeling ill after they find the dead prisoners by the toxic waste dump, there is an added line when she leaves that Dillon says "Where did she go?";
when Ripley fights with Dillon after he refuses to kill her, there is an added line where Dillon says "Go kill yourself";
during the scene where the remaining prisoners are meeting to discuss Dillon and Ripley's plan to terminate the alien, there are expanded dialogue scenes concerning Dillon telling them they have a choice to get even with the creature for its destroying the others, Ripley questioning 85's statements that the rescue team is on its way (Ripley says "Rescue team for whom?"), Dillong emphasizing this task of being part of the "steps to heaven", etc.;
during the tunnel chase sequence, there are numerous additions including a scene where Ripley asks what the prisoners are doing (when two of them guarding the piston run off) and Dillon says "Improvising," shots of Dillon walking through corridors and finding bodies (Troy) as well as Ripley finding bodies (Eric) and verbally identifying them, Jude slipping and falling and cutting himself with the scissors he was holding, 85 silently meditating with his head bowed down as he awaits the company people;
when the company reps arrive, it is extended as the asian rep asks 85 if he's seen the beast, and 85 says yes and that Ripley has one inside her. Bishop II replies, "We know that." And when 85 sees the cage he tells them "Your gonna need a bigger cage";
when Ripley is trying to lure the alien back into the piston, she keeps telling it to kill her;
right before Ripley pulls the chains to shower the burning hot alien with water, she says, "For the Last time." Also, there is no voice-over of Morse telling her to douse the creature with water (probably added in looping to better explain what was happening to the audience);
there is more dialogue when Bishop II confronts Ripley as he refers to the malignancy inside her and the great courage she has shown. There is also an added scene where the asian medic explains the procedure to remove the alien from Ripley, saying it will be quick (two-hours) and she'll be fine. When Bishop II asks Ripley to trust him and she must choose, the scene is more drawn out, and you can see Ripley agonizing more over the decision she must make (definitely more dramatic);
when Ripley tells Morse to help her and he asks "what do you want me to do?" She replies, "You'll know...";
one added scene that eliminates controversy, is when 85 hits Bishop II and is killed, there is an additional moment which Bishop II can be seen in pain and he shouts "I'm not a droid!!";
when Ripley falls into the molten lead, there is no shot of the chestburster emerging from her body;
after Ripley falls, Morse crawls over to look out into the molten pit;
the last scenes are arranged a little differently with the video screen facility closed shot coming before the shot of the empty cryotubes and Ripley's transmission being heard.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
07-23-2002, 02:55 AM
Hardware Wars you can live without, but the other 3 are great cinema!

JediTricks
07-23-2002, 03:14 AM
Sorry JJB, none of that sounds any more appealling. IMO, this movie is not good from the concept up, you can't fix the building by patching the walls if the foundation is already collapsed.

DeadEye
07-23-2002, 09:12 AM
Yes, JT--it would have been better if they used the first script, like I said!

Jar Jar, the current DVD of Alien 3 is paltry in the way of special features and has none of those deleted scenes. But you can download and watch most of those scenes from the alienlegacy.net, I think.

QLD
07-23-2002, 09:16 AM
The only Alien movie I can watch over and over, is the second one. For some reason, the others just lose me, well, 3 lost me at the beginning, and 4 had me running towards the bathroom with my hand covering my mouth!

And I just thought about the Abyss.....ohhh the Abyss....what a GREAT movie. Especially with the extra footage. :D

DeadEye
07-23-2002, 09:23 AM
The Abyss? I saw it on TV, and they said it was the director's cut version...I didn't like it much.

billfremore
07-23-2002, 10:03 AM
Why are you still on your computer?

You should be watching an Evil Dead movie.

Jonna
07-23-2002, 10:19 AM
Dead By Dawn (#2) was the best one in my opinion!

Enough cheese to make fondue with!

Darth Nitwit
07-23-2002, 01:49 PM
I think that Night of the Lupus was pretty bad.

robman71
07-23-2002, 03:15 PM
Aren't we forgetting one of the cheesiest sci-fi flicks of all time.
"Attack of the Killer Tomatoes"

QLD
07-23-2002, 05:00 PM
I think you meant Night of the Lepus. Although Night of the Lupus sounds interesting.....

Mandalorian Candidat
07-25-2002, 03:32 PM

I agree with you that these two movies weren't nearly as good as the first two, but it being years since I've seen them I don't feel as negative as I used to. I was so ****ed that instead of having Ripley find the original Alien planet they made her impregnated with one. I was expecting somewhere along the line that they would send wrap up the series with Ripley finding their home planet and either wiping it out or making it so the aliens could never get removed by the Company.

Maybe something was deleted from the movie that made the plot make sense, but the time between the end of Aliens to the beginning of Alien 3 was wacky. How does she get an alien inside her? That isn't explained decently at all. It's as if the scriptwriters pulled a "Poochie" and said "OK, she was infected" and left it at that.

Alien Res. was a slightly better than Alien 3, IMO. I liked how Ripley was now much more empowered and could fight more equally with the aliens. I also liked the Winona "Five-finger Discount" Ryder character how it was kind of a combination of Bishop and Newt. What was really lame was the whole alien queen/human hybrid thing. That was sooo dumb.

At this point can they do anything to save this franchise? Is it dead or just in a coma? I kind of wish they would pull a cheap Bobby Ewing trick and pretend that the last two movies were her dreaming in the hypersleep chamber on the Sulaco. Then they could set it up where she would go out and thwart a Company plan to find the alien home world and harvest them

Needles
07-25-2002, 03:55 PM
The worst sci-fi movie ever would have to be the original planet of the apes.it was boring

Pendo
07-25-2002, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Needles
The worst sci-fi movie ever would have to be the original planet of the apes.it was boring

I quite enjoyed that, it's much better than any of the others including the remake!

I'll have to agree with JT and say that the worst Sci-Fi film is Alien 3. I couldn't watch it all I had to turn it off it was awful!! I never turn off a film before it finishes, but compared the first 2 Alien films it was a pile of smeg!

PENDO!

billfremore
07-25-2002, 04:34 PM
The worst sci-fi movie ever would have to be the original planet of the apes. it was boring

It was much better than that remake that Tim Burton spewed out. I mean what the heck was up with that ending anyways? :confused:

So I'll have to disagree

Circle gets the square!:greedy:

Beast
07-25-2002, 04:42 PM
Agreed, the original Planet of the Apes is a Classic. Tim Burton's craptaculer remake had good special effects and they tried to have a good story, but they totally screwed it up with that horrid ending. I can't wait for next year. Fox is going to be doing a 5-Star release of the original Planet of the Apes. As usual it will be a 2-disc set with alot of new extras.

No word on what those might be, but a Charlton Heston Audio Commentary is one of the early rumors. Hopefully the do S.E.'s of the 4 sequels also. Especially "Conquest of the Planet of the Apes". That movie was butchered by the studio, because they thought it might start a race riot. :rolleyes: :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jonna
07-25-2002, 04:44 PM
Ya, what the hell was with that ending? It was horrid!

Beast
07-25-2002, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Jonna
Ya, what the hell was with that ending? It was horrid!
Yeah, it was pretty bad. But I've been involved in discussions where we have come up with plausable answers to why Earth was all Apes. Of course they read like a Star Trek Technical Journal, so it's best to just watch the movie and not to think to hard about it. Tim Burton said that if a sequel were made, they could explain what happened. It's about the only time I have hoped for a sequel to a movie that I didn't like much. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Shifty
07-25-2002, 04:56 PM
That ending was absolutely terrible. Back when it came out, Kevin Smith almost sued because the ending of Planet of the Apes is very similar to a frame in Jay & Silent Bob issue #3. Either way, the ending blows.

Mandalorian Candidat
07-25-2002, 06:40 PM
Yeah, the Tim Burton version was stinky, especially the dialogue. "Everyone shut up. That goes for both species."

If you have the DVD there's a card that came with the set that gives a timeline of Marky Mark and Pericles' time/space jumps into that cosmic storm. Very lamely they try to explain how the apes took control of the earth on that card, but it's so vague it is useless. I have yet to watch the Burton commentary track so I don't know if or how he explains his thinking there. IMO if the movie doesn't make it so you can figure it out, at least using a modicum of effort and brainpower, then the scriptwriter did a lame-o job.

The original was fantastic, but the subsequent ones are marginal. At least they have a message, i.e., let's all get along, say no to nukes, so it's not just brainless junk like last year's version.

SWAFMAN
07-25-2002, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
At this point can they do anything to save this franchise? Is it dead or just in a coma? I kind of wish they would pull a cheap Bobby Ewing trick and pretend that the last two movies were her dreaming in the hypersleep chamber on the Sulaco. Then they could set it up where she would go out and thwart a Company plan to find the alien home world and harvest them

ManCan, I'm with you! If the series can be salvaged, they should open the next movie with Ripley/Weaver falling as the alien bursts out of her gut, then have her jolt out of bed with a scream, explaining away the last two movies as a bad dream brought on by her having eaten rotten oysters, or something. Who cares that it was already done in the 2nd movie.
But THEN they have to deliver a worthwhile episode that makes up for the last two pieces of dreck.
I like the suggestion that she goes on a mission to destroy the alien home world. And I wanna see a whole FLEET of interstellar spacecraft, drop ships, APCs, and tactical fighters from both the humans and the Aliens!!!!

(I'm a sci-fi hardware freak!!!)

Beast
07-25-2002, 07:06 PM
ManCan, I'm with you! If the series can be salvaged, they should open the next movie with Ripley/Weaver falling as the alien bursts out of her gut, then have her jolt out of bed with a scream, explaining away the last two movies as a bad dream brought on by her having eaten rotten oysters, or something. Who cares that it was already done in the 2nd movie.
But THEN they have to deliver a worthwhile episode that makes up for the last two pieces of dreck.
I like the suggestion that she goes on a mission to destroy the alien home world. And I wanna see a whole FLEET of interstellar spacecraft, drop ships, APCs, and tactical fighters from both the humans and the Aliens!!!!

I don't think they need to bring Ripley back at all. I would like to see them make a non-Weaver Alien movie. There is no where for the charecter to go. Still, a decent film would be nice. :)

I don't like the idea of the Colonial Marines going to the Hive Homeworld to destroy it though. It just sounds to much like "Starship Troopers" :p

The Alien vs. Predator movie is being made, so hopefully that will reignite both franchises. What I have heard of so far of the plot line, it looks like it might be really great. Who doesn't wanna see those 2 beasties go at it. :cool:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

SWAFMAN
07-25-2002, 07:15 PM
alien v. predator

is this supposed to be some sort of final fantasy-like animation, or more of a kind of live action/heavy-on the CGI feature like MIIB?

Beast
07-25-2002, 07:39 PM
alien v. predator is this supposed to be some sort of final fantasy-like animation, or more of a kind of live action/heavy-on the CGI feature like MIIB?
It's supposed to be live action, with alot of CGI of course. I think they will most likely go with the ALIEN as full CGI, and the Predator they can still do convincing as a guy in a suit. Here is the last bit of information that I was able to dig up. :)

7/16/02 - Well, it looks like, in addition to the fifth "Alien" movie in continuity, Fox is indeed moving ahead with plans for "Aliens Vs Predator", with "Variety" reporting yesterday that Paul Anderson (Resident Evil, Mortal Kombat) has signed on to write and direct the project. A preview page for that will be added later this summer.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

wedgeA
07-26-2002, 12:33 AM
Tie between Cyborg (Van Damne) and Lawnmower Man 2.

Mandalorian Candidat
07-26-2002, 04:09 PM

Hot damn! Yeah, and bring back the pulse rifles. Those things had the coolest sounding report of any futuristic movie gun other than SW.

I don't know if I'd like a non-SigWeav Alien movie JJB. She is pretty much the franchise IMO. Maybe the last movie is so far removed that the gen. public could care less if she's in A5 or not, but it's her raw steely nerve and attitude that make the movies fun to see. Without her it would take a lot to have a hero/heroine that the audience would care that much about to have go mano-a-mano with the aliens.

At this point having SW come back makes the most sense. We've seen how good she works in the movie even with the putrid scripts from A3&4. Plus at this point who else would know the aliens well enough to go up against them and have the audience care?

bigbarada
07-27-2002, 03:22 PM
Starship Troopers was enjoyable, even if the military tactics shown were ludicrous. A modern day, National Guard armored unit could take out that entire Infantry Brigade no sweat. They just dropped in there with no air support, no heavy artillery, no armored support. On top of that they all just rush at the enemy shooting all their rounds at the exact same time, not setting up any reserves. That's fine if you want your entire brigade to run out of ammo at the exact same time.:stupid:

Alien 3, was a total disappointment to me. The alien used wasn't a puppet, it was one of the first CG creatures ever used on film. I remember keeping up with the 'making of' articles in Starlog and Fangoria and the producers were all spouting off how this new-fangled CG technology was going to revolutionize the industry. They were right, but Alien 3 wasn't the movie to do it.

Worse was Alien Resurrection. I think the plot was written by a high school student, it was so juvenille. Characters were 2D archetypes with no personality or motivation, they just acted bad-*** because they were supposed to be bad-***. Pointless.

Battle Beyond the Stars - Roger Corman's attempt to "make a better Star Wars." It stars none other than John Boy from The Waltons as it's protagonist.

Since fantasy very often gets lumped in with Sci-Fi, my next choice would be the Lord of the Rings cartoon, by Ralph Bakshi. All great fiction has it's great fumbles: Star Wars has the Holiday Special; Star Trek has Deep Space Nine; and Lord of the Rings has this cartoon. Even the Rankin-Bass cartoons of The Hobbit and ROTK are preferrable to this dreck.

Predator 2 and Robocop 2 - pointlessly bloody and violent, tried way too hard to be shocking and just plain poorly made films.

Battlefield Earth - I'll admit I never read the novel; but after seeing this film, I've decided to avoid that author like the plague. Can you believe that John Travolta convinced the studio to pony up the money for a sequel?

Lawnmower Man films were pretty bad also. Their only purpose was to showcase the "state of the art" CG, which looks like a joke now.

hango fett
07-27-2002, 03:27 PM
A.I. worst movie (not just si-fi) i have ever seen.
hango.

bigbarada
07-27-2002, 03:47 PM
Hmm, wierd, AI is one of my favorite movies.

Beast
07-27-2002, 04:01 PM
I liked A.I. as well BigB. One of the most original Sci Fi films in years. From what I have read on some of the DVD discussion forums, there are some intresting reasons why some people don't like the film. Alot of them don't like it, because they don't understand the ending. Or they don't like it, because it was such a different Sci Fi film, and didn't have the usual Sci Fi film elements. Age also plays a factor, from what I have seen. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Deoxyribonucleic
07-27-2002, 04:05 PM
Star Wars EP 1 The Phantom Menace - What a horrible, horrible movie!!!

hango fett
07-27-2002, 04:09 PM
well, A.I. just was sooo bad.....i mean, the begging is ok but then you sit there and think "is this all the better it gets? when does it get better?"
hango

bigbarada
07-27-2002, 04:36 PM
Well, AI wasn't the typical 'action-packed adventure' kind of sci-fi. It was much more cerebral and had enough intriguing concepts layered on top of each other to keep my interest throughout the film. I also love the 'sad sentimentality' of the ending. It's nice to see a film that dismisses the 'triumphant finale' that has become so cliched since GL practically invented it with ANH.

Beast
07-27-2002, 04:41 PM
Agreed wholeheartidly BigB. It was nice to see somthing really different come out of the genre. Yeah, the ending was pretty sad, but in a way he did achieve what he wanted. He did finally become human, because he died at the end. I feel really bad for Teddy though, he's all alone with the Advanced Mechas in the end. :(

MTFWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

hango fett
07-27-2002, 08:39 PM
refresh my memory...how did he die (i can't even remeber his name! but i remeber teddy.....
hango

Beast
07-27-2002, 08:51 PM
After he had that last day with his mother, and she goes to sleep and dies. He also goes to sleep, and then the head of the mechas finishes by saying that "For the first time David slept, and he went to that place, where dreams come from." The quote is similar to that, I haven't watched it recently. It's supposed to imply, that he finally accepted he had acheived what he really had all along, that he was a real boy, then he did what all humans one day do, he died. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
07-27-2002, 11:24 PM
Really? I've seen the movie several times and for some reason I just never made the mental connection that David actually died at the end.:cry: But I never really thought about that last line either, and now that you put it that way, it makes perfect sense.:cry::cry:

Ahem...

Star Trek 5: The Final Frontier was also a really crappy sci-fi movie. They should never allow William Shatner near anything Star Trek related again. That guy's ego can no longer be contained on one starship.:D

Beast
07-27-2002, 11:35 PM
Oh sorry BigB. Yeah, me and a bunch of people discussed the movie for a long time on another forum. And that's the conclusion that everyone came to. I didn't realise it myself the first time I saw it, then it struck me when I was thinking over the movie again. I found adiscussion thread about the movie, and read thru it and discussed it. It's really sad, but in a way happy. I feel kinda bad for Teddy in the end though. :(

Yep, Star Trek V. Worst Trek film ever. Hopefully once they get around doing a special edition of it, they can try to salvage that train wreck. You know how big Shatner's ego is? I was reading a review of the new S.E. Star Trek II DVD. There was a picture of Shatner from an interview on the disc. He's actually sitting infront of a prominantly displayed Star Trek V poster. Lemme attach the pic. :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
07-28-2002, 05:00 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Predator 2 and Robocop 2 - pointlessly bloody and violent, tried way too hard to be shocking and just plain poorly made films.Bah, Robocop 2 was a gem compared to Robocop 3! That film was utter trash, they couldn't get anybody back in their original roles, settled with a terrible story, had way too much "cute kiddie factor", a dippy "gotta have a ninja" addition that all films of that era seemed to fall under, and the stupidest Robogimmicks of all time -- even if it is the Frank Miller who wrote Robocop 2 and 3, he shoulda steered clear 'cause what got put on the screen wasn't worth our time or his reputation. I'm not saying Robocop 2 wasn't bad, but IMO it's just nowhere near as bad as #3... plus 2 was directed by the same guy who directed a little film called The Empire Strikes Back.

No way is ST5 worse than Generations. I'll allow for some folks to say "Insurrection was better than 5" though I don't agree, but Generations is as much a mess as 5 and twice as shallow.

Beast
07-28-2002, 05:14 AM
I'll agree with you on RoboCop 3. Why the hell even have Officer Lewis in 3, if she wasn't played by the same actress. They always could have just pulled the ole, "she got transfered, killed, retired" thing. I hate when they switch actors for no good reason. See the charecter of Lt. Saavik from Star Trek for that.

Bah, Generations is fine art comapred to the piece of crap that Star Trek V was. Bad script, bad directing, bad special effects. The fact that Shatner seems to have forgotten that his charecter hates Klingon's for his son's death. Shatner can only write good scenes for his charecter, that's obvious. Everyone else is totally misused in that movie.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
07-28-2002, 04:05 PM
I never even knew they made a Robocop 3. :o

Generations was pretty bad and I have never seen Insurrection, however, I think it would have to be pretty bad to beat out ST5. At least Generations had some cool FX to redeem it a little and the emotional impact of a ship that we had followed for 7 years blowing up. ST5 had nothing going for it, except scenes that crossed the line from utter stupidity (Scotty knocking himself out by walking into a bulkhead) to utter creepiness (Uhura's exotic dancing). Where's the **shudders uncontrollably** smiley?:)

plasticfetish
07-29-2002, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by master jedi
... but I think THX-1138 was probably the worst Sci-Fi movie I've ever seen.
<choke>

... I think that was the worst sci-fi I ever saw. Logan's Run would be a close second.
<gasp>

<!?!?>

<sob>

Originally posted by hango fett
A.I. worst movie (not just si-fi) i have ever seen.
<faint>

JediTricks
07-29-2002, 02:43 AM
Bah, Generations is fine art comapred to the piece of crap that Star Trek V was. Bad script, bad directing, bad special effects. The fact that Shatner seems to have forgotten that his charecter hates Klingon's for his son's death. Hmm, I think if you took the "ine " out of "fine art", you'd have it right. ;) Some of your description of ST5 "bad script, bad directing" seems to apply even more so to Generations than ST5. And Shatner didn't "forget" his character hated Klingons because of David, but just like in ST6, he did his duty as a captain and played "diplomat" at the end, the rest he had nothing to say about the Klingons at all.

I never even knew they made a Robocop 3. :oI wish I never knew they made a Robocop 3, I was forced to go see it in the theater. :eek:

Beast
07-29-2002, 02:49 AM
But he had no reason in Star Trek V to do his duty and play diplomat to the Klingon's. It was just a case of Willam Shatner forgetting that plot point from one movie to the next. Besides, anyone that has the ego and gall to actually bring his charecter back from the dead, just to make somemore money of it in the novels he wrote, has no artistic integrity.

Kirk was dead, he died a heroic death. Frankly, since Shattie brought Kirk back, they should restore the original Kirk death back to Generations, just to slap him upside the head for the novels. Why give him a heroes death in the movies, if Shatner is gonna cheat what happened. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
07-29-2002, 03:33 AM
Yes he did, he needed the Klingons and Romulans to get along on his ship while he hauled them back to their territories, and to keep the BoP from shooting at the Enterprise during that journey.

Generations' Kirk death sucked, the whole thing sucked - Picard can go anywhere in time and yet he chooses a minute before Soran shoots off his missile?!? Why not go back 80 years and keep Soran from ever leaving the Nexus, thus saving Kirk, all those people on the Amargosa lab, and the "light casualties" from the crashed Enterprise-D (I realize he didn't know the Ent-D hadn't crashed, but he still would have saved them)? Why not go back a few days and arrest Soran while he was in ten-forward? Why not go back a few weeks and stop Soran and the Duras girls from ever planting that stupid launcher site in the first place? Why not let Kirk go back 80 years without Picard and stop Soran, thus preserving Picard's place in the timeline? Since Picard could clearly take whatever he wanted with him out of the Nexus, why not take a phaser rifle instead of a retired Starfleet captain? Why would Picard be able to see the Nexus ribbon in the atmosphere of the planet if Data's original projection was accurate and it should have passed on the OTHER side of the planet out of Picard's view? Why would Soran even care if flying a ship into the Nexus would destroy the ship after he was there if he wouldn't care about killing hundreds of millions? Why would Kirk and/or Picard let the "big surprise" of having 2 captains there to stop Soran slip through their fingers like that? What happened to the ORIGINAL Picard that was there, why couldn't he have helped stop Soran as well? Why have Kirk die a cheap death where his "heroic deed" was "pushing a button on a PADD on a collapsing bridge" rather than something more noble or even just exciting?

Beast
07-29-2002, 03:46 AM
The problem is, that Picard is still bound by the laws of Federation's Temperal Prime Directive. Going to far back in time, and changing history causes to much of a disturbance in timeline. There was some cut dialogue of this in the nexus between Picard and Guinen, I believe.

Kirk's death as it played out, is alot better then what was originally filmed. I'm sure you know that he was shot in the back by Soran in the original version of the films ending. A much less heroic, noble, or exciting death then what appeared on film. Hopefully it's atleast included in the suppliments for the Generations S.E. DVD. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

scruffziller
07-29-2002, 04:12 AM
I would probably have to say the Nemesis movies, extremely boring

Wing Commander - Definate garbage. I actually payed money to see this piece of filth. The aliens in the movie were beyond laughable. Avoid unless you love torturing yourself. Mark Hammil was wise to avoid this stinker. :)

Jar Jar Binks

You want to hear a funny story about this one. I went to this movie and had been told that the EPS 1 trailer was on it. When the trailer session was over and I didn't see it I was so mad I couldn't stand to watch the movie.

No! How dare you! Starship Troopers is one of the best damn movies ever made! There's not a single flaw with it! :mad:
I have to agree.

Originally posted by jjreason
Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Only because my 8 year old expectations were for action, action, action - and I got NONE. WHATSOEVER. I hated it so much, I've never watched it again. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad now, but I was ****$ed back then.
No WAY THIS WAS THE BEST STAR TREK MOVIE EVER!!
:mad: Who cares about war and battle in Star Trek. That is what it is suppose to be about "TREK"ING not "WAR"ING. Exploration going where noone has gone before.
If you want it to be what it is not called, then Lucas is out of a title for his flics. Sorry for going off there :) Nothing at you personally JJ, It just frustrates me when there is all this magic going on in Star Trek that nobody seems to care about. If you can't tell Spock and Data were my most favorite charachters.

No I believe that was THE POSTMAN with Kevin Costner and it wasn't a dog it was lion:D , ;) just kidding that was another bad flic.

plasticfetish
07-29-2002, 04:24 AM
OK
Howard the Duck
Do I have to say why?

RooJay
07-29-2002, 04:04 PM
Battlefield Earth
Star Trek 5: The Search for...WHO CARES?!!
Masters of the Universe (Not any Masters of the Universe I had ever seen. Ahh, what could've been...)
Robocop 3 (what the f...?!!!)
Battle Beyond the Stars (The tagline should've been: "Just like Star Wars...but different.")

I'd also like to say that, even though I thought the movie was pretty decent, I thought the whole "newborn alien" thing in Alien: Resurrection was one of the stupidest things I've ever seen! I understand that the Queen posessed both human and alien DNA, but then why did the newborn have so many traits that were not natural to either species; including, and especially, the fact that it was born full grown from the queen's belly?!!
:confused: :rolleyes: Even alien drones go through a infant-like stage after bursting from the host's chest.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-29-2002, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by RooJay
Battlefield Earth

I change mine from Phantom Menace (I really don't dislike it THAT much) :) as Roojay points out Battlefield Earth....how could I have forgotten that one...oh yeah because it was so aweful, I wanted to erase it from my memory banks!:eek:

billfremore
07-29-2002, 04:40 PM
Oh yeah, Outland starring Sean Connery.

What was anybody thinking when they made this "masterpiece"?

robman71
07-29-2002, 04:53 PM
Try Zardoz starring Sean Connery. This may have been among the worst movies I have ever seen him do. Outland was Oscar material compared to this piece of #$D$.

Mandalorian Candidat
07-29-2002, 05:09 PM
Battle Beyond the Stars - Roger Corman's attempt to "make a better Star Wars." It stars none other than John Boy from The Waltons as it's protagonist.

Roger Corman made BBtS?! Where were all the DDD-chested women?

Was it really that bad? It did have George Peppard as a drunken space cowboy. :D

Outland was also pretty crummy. Those lights inside the helmet were laughable as well as the rest of the stuff going on. It was weird that they just had Connery sit around until those hitmen got off the shuttle instead of him just going after Peter Boyle. BTW, does anyone recognize the old lady doctor/nurse who helps out SC? She's Dr. Carter's granny from ER.

-I'll also throw in MIIB, what a piece of garbage.
-Lost in Space was freaking dumber than hell. I didn't care what was going on after the spider-chase scene on the Proteus. The script was ridiculous and the casting was just wacky. Does anyone else think Matt LeBlanc will never amount to anything after Friends is done?
-Short Circuit 2 was a total waste except for maybe the Indian character. I just looked at the imdb.com page for it and almost fell over in my chair from the dopey tagline. SC2 link (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0096101)

RooJay
07-29-2002, 05:29 PM
I forgot to mention the craptacular Blue Steel featuring Mega-celebrity Patrick Swayze! What were they thinking?!

I'm gonna have to whole-heartedly disagree with Mandalorian Candidat regarding Lost in Space. I thought the movie was great and have been wishing for a sequel ever since! To me, the casting was one of the best parts (and yes, I do think Matt LeBlanc will amount to something after Friends. I think he's quite talented, and has an excellent sense of comedic timing.) what with the always awesome Gary Oldman as Doctor Smith (dare I say, better than the original?), and Hollywood's most underrated, under-utilized talent William Hurt as Professor Robinson; I even thought the kid was great, and a nice break from the obnoxious little twerps that these kinds of roles usually go to! The only member of the cast that I wasn't particularly happy with was (Sir Richard Harris' son) Jared Harris as the older Will; if only because he doesn't look a thing like the kid who played the young Will. True, it wasn't the best sci-fi flick ever, but I still thought it was great!

scruffziller
08-07-2002, 09:04 AM
Actually let me give an update, FLASH GORDON!!!!!!! The most absoulte cheesiest sci-fi ever.

billfremore
08-07-2002, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by scruffziller
Actually let me give an update, FLASH GORDON!!!!!!! The most absoulte cheesiest sci-fi ever.

Yeah but that soundtrack by Queen made it slightly worthwhile.

"Flash! Aah aah! Defender of the universe!"

Jonna
08-07-2002, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by billfremore

"Flash! Aah aah! He'll save every one of us!"

Hey, I liked that movie as a kid!:D

billfremore
08-07-2002, 11:29 AM
I just liked the song.

I prefer Flesh Gordon myself :D

Deoxyribonucleic
08-07-2002, 01:30 PM

That movie was a CRACK UP, along with the full length movie of the true life story of Karen Carpenter done completely with barbie dolls!

:)

Exhaust Port
08-07-2002, 02:36 PM
Robot Jox: It's the only movie that I've seen that is true to the fact that there is no sound in space. It just goes to show that a soundless space battle is aweful. This is the worst sci-fi movie I can think of. Years ago I bought it so I can share it's pain with my friends who've never seen it.

Event Horizon: The space ship returned from Hell? Take it back.

Battlefield Earth: Sucked on so many levels

scruffziller
08-07-2002, 03:42 PM

Yeah but that soundtrack by Queen made it slightly worthwhile.

Yea I'll give you that, but it just doesn't.................oh yea well it is appropriate...

I just liked the song.

Actually the movie I seen with Timothy Dalton, I do believe was Flesh Gordon:D. It might as well have been. Those women were dang hot!!!!!!!:crazed:

RooJay
08-07-2002, 06:22 PM
I'm going to riske being the odd man out and say that I actually have always loved Flash Gordon! Normally, I despise camp, but I think it was very well done in this film. I can't help it. I'm not ashamed at all of the fact either. Might have a little to do with my overwhelming fondness for the character; I'm really hoping that new Flash Gordon franchise that's been proposed gets off the ground.

I must also admit to having enjoyed Event Horizon. While space wouldn't have been my first choice of setting for that type of story, I still think it was reasonably well done. It's certainly not one of my favorites, but I'm not knockin' it.

Exhaust Port
08-07-2002, 09:39 PM
I too have always enjoyed Flash Gordon. For me it captures a comic book telling of the story and not a major motion picture version. It's still very enjoyable to this day.

I've got to add these to my previous list:

Aliens 4: gasp, that movie was just plain aweful. Why destroy the Gieger alien with that alien/human thing? How could Sigorney agree to that plot? I'll continue to watch the first 2 and pretend the last 2 never happened.

Warlock: I know it's more fantasy than sci-fi but it's the first horribly bad movie I remember paying to see as a teenager. The images of the warlock flying around were aweful. A man leaning somewhat forward with his hands out in front of him like superman standing in front of an obvious blue screen? Oh, come on, I've seen high school students produce better effects.

Rogue II
08-08-2002, 09:12 AM
I caught part of Flash Gordon on the Sci Fi channel a few months ago. It is cheesy, but I like it.

If you want a bad Sci-Fi movie, see Warriors of the Wasteland. Its from the late 70s-early 80s.

I try to skip "bad" sci fi films: I haven't seen all of the Aliens movies, Battlefield Earth, etc. I will turn off a movie if I don't like it. I wasn't too fond of the Mummy movies. I didn't see the whole thing, but the bits I saw were bad. I thought Armageddon was lame, I would have turned it off, but my in-laws were watching it.

billfremore
08-08-2002, 09:23 AM
Could Leonard part 6 be considered Sci-Fi?

Because if so, man did that movie suck!

JON9000
08-10-2002, 07:23 PM
A very nasty one was on the Sci-Fi channel today before Superman came on- YOR- THE HUNTER FROM THE FUTURE

I liked it when I was 8, found it unwatchable at 12, and find it so today. It is truly terrible.

Patient Zero
08-22-2002, 01:14 AM
Could Leonard part 6 be considered Sci-Fi?

Because if so, man did that movie suck!

That one is right up there with Meteor Man.