PDA

View Full Version : Ghostbusters and the Sta-Puft Marshmellow Man

stillakid
07-21-2002, 09:14 PM
Near the end of the movie, after the Ghostbusters cross the streams that result in the gigantic explosion that burns the Sta-Puft Marshmellow Man up, the Ghostbusters emerge from the smoky ruins completely covered in marshmellow goo...except for Venkman (Bill Murray).

Why is that?

Was it perhaps because he got "slimed" earlier and he wasn't interested in getting the full treatment again? In other words, maybe it was the other guy's turns?

Anyone have any insight into this? Thanks.

LTBasker
07-21-2002, 09:53 PM
I think he ducked behind something. It would be just like him to do something like that. :D

stillakid
07-22-2002, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by LTBasker
I think he ducked behind something. It would be just like him to do something like that. :D

But they made the guys up like that for the post-explosion shots. Why did Bill Murray get a pass on getting all gooed up?

AdmiralPiett
07-22-2002, 01:12 AM
It wouldn't look very good if Peter had to rescue and make out with Dana covered in marshmallow goop!
Piett

Beast
07-22-2002, 02:40 AM
I think I recall reading that Bill Murry wouldn't allow them to cover him with Marshmallow goop. It may be mentioned on the DVD audio commentary, I'm not sure. That would be your best bet, if you were curious. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
07-22-2002, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by stillakid

But they made the guys up like that for the post-explosion shots. Why did Bill Murray get a pass on getting all gooed up?

Just before the marshmallow man blows up, you can see Peter getting ready to duck, which makes me think he thought to get behind something before that happened. So I think Bill Murray just wanted to do the different thing. So it'd be like a "heh heh, you guys all got gooed while I hid!" type of thing.

Jacen Solo
07-22-2002, 07:38 PM
Who ya gonna call? Ghostbusters! I'm with LT, he ducked. I know they were planing to make Ghostbusters 3 when they came out with the Extreme Ghostbusters cartoon, and after Chris Farley died they said they were still going to make it, I know that it probably won't get made because Murray hasn't liked any of the scripts but has anybody heard anything?

stillakid
07-22-2002, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Jacen Solo
Who ya gonna call? Ghostbusters! I'm with LT, he ducked. I know they were planing to make Ghostbusters 3 when they came out with the Extreme Ghostbusters cartoon, and after Chris Farley died they said they were still going to make it, I know that it probably won't get made because Murray hasn't liked any of the scripts but has anybody heard anything?

Um, he didn't duck. There isn't a shot of the guys actually getting pelted with the goo. There is a shot of the guys with their guns, and we see the Marshmellow Man "screaming" in the background. Then it cuts to a few big wide explosion shots. The only guy that we actually see in the process of getting covered in goo is the EPA guy who is down on the street. When we cut back up to the top of the building, the guys emerge from offscreen in various coverages of marshmellow. So there was a decision of some sort made that allowed Bill Murray to not be madeup with goo to the extent as the other guys. I'm just curious as to that conversation.

Jonna
07-22-2002, 08:20 PM
He didn't get covered because he was the coolest one. Hello!!!

stillakid
07-22-2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Jonna
He didn't get covered because he was the coolest one. Hello!!!

:confused:

LTBasker
07-22-2002, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by stillakid

Um, he didn't duck. There isn't a shot of the guys actually getting pelted with the goo. There is a shot of the guys with their guns, and we see the Marshmellow Man "screaming" in the background. Then it cuts to a few big wide explosion shots. The only guy that we actually see in the process of getting covered in goo is the EPA guy who is down on the street. When we cut back up to the top of the building, the guys emerge from offscreen in various coverages of marshmellow. So there was a decision of some sort made that allowed Bill Murray to not be madeup with goo to the extent as the other guys. I'm just curious as to that conversation.

Just before the marshmallow man explodes, Peter starts to get out of the way, which leads to the fact he could've ducked. Pop in your tape and play the scene.

stillakid
07-23-2002, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by LTBasker

Just before the marshmallow man explodes, Peter starts to get out of the way, which leads to the fact he could've ducked. Pop in your tape and play the scene.

Yeah, I, uh, get it. Story-wise, he got out of the way. But behind the scenes, why did he get to pass on the goo? I really didn't think it was difficult of a question to understand.

LTBasker
07-23-2002, 12:45 AM
Like I said, Bill probably just wanted to be different from the rest of the group so it'd be more like his character to be the one who manages to get away to gloat about not getting gooed.

Patient Zero
08-22-2002, 12:17 AM
This thread scares me!

scruffziller
08-22-2002, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by The Ghost of Jonna
This thread scares me!

I bet it does!!!!!!!!:evil:

Hey did you get that room cleaned up like I told you!!!:mad:

*cachsheeeeeeeeng................powers Proton Pak Gun and aims it at Ghost of Jonna*

darthvyn
08-22-2002, 09:39 AM
i think it's part of the joke... they all get covered in the 'shmallow crap, and when they're all asking if everyone's alright, the ask venkman, and he looks at himself as if to say "don't you see that i'm not covered in marchmallow crap?" and says "fine!"

it's a joke, a purposfully ludicrous situation, meant to illicit a humorous response, namely in the form of laughter on the part of the viewer.

so laugh.

now.

Patient Zero
08-22-2002, 09:46 AM
I had a cameo in that movie, but they cut it. I was a ghost extra in the library.