PDA

View Full Version : Are you going to collect the Disney Star Tours Figures?

Tycho
07-22-2002, 12:35 AM
What are your plans when the Disney Exclusive Star Tours figures come out?

There are currently plans for these 3 being offered at the theme parks starting in August.

They may be available through the Fan Club at some point later.

Lord Tenebrous
07-22-2002, 01:49 AM
I would feel better about these if they weren't so obviously geared towards collectors. These are toys from a children's theme park, and compared to the 'deluxe line for kids', these aren't good value at all. Should have been thrown loose in a bin, and sold for $3 each. Then the kids themselves could afford them, and not have their parents grumbling as they hand $40 (so far) over to the cashier.

Maybe one day, following a life-threatening, dollar-inflicted papercut, Lucas will let up on the whole 'fleece the fans' thing. (wishful thinking)

stillakid
07-22-2002, 02:01 AM
I was going to say, "Well, yeah, they look cool enough," but Lord Tenebrous is making me feel guilty for wanting them. :(

JediTricks
07-22-2002, 02:22 AM
They look a little light in the articulation, but I'm still stoked about this. I've been waiting 15 years (yes, it's been 15 years since Star Tours first opened, I was there, it was great) for toys from this ride to come out and I'm thrilled to see 4 figures. I was so jazzed when they came out with a little pull-back Action Fleet-sized Starspeeder 3000 a year ago that I not only bought myself one, I bought as many people as I could one and mailed them off in Disneyland maps. You can never have enough Star Wars droids IMO.

BTW, little bit of trivia, the G2 droids are recycled attraction props, they were originally audio-animatronic robots dressed as birds from the less-than-spectacular "America Sings" attraction, the one that revolved yet still bored that they recently turned into the nearly as unpopular Innoventions.

fourtwo
07-22-2002, 02:40 AM
it will be cool to have something to look at and think "man that was some trip i went on"

obi-dad
07-22-2002, 05:10 AM
I brought my family to Disney World in January and one of the first things we did was go to Star Tours (it wasn't built the last time I was there as a kid). I thought it was great, but I was much more impressed by the AT-AT and other decor more than I was with the actual ride, (though we did ride it about 4 times). I'm not sure I'll get all the figs.... Rex annoyed me on the ride, don't think I need a figure of him to remember that. But, the R3-D3 looks pretty cool and GL-4T reminds me (sort of) of Johny Lightning???? Johnny-Five??? from the movie Short Circuit with Ally Sheedy. I'm not overly impressed with DL-X2, but it may make an interesting repair droid. So, I'll probably get a few of them, but price will also be a factor.

LTBasker
07-22-2002, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by obi-dad
But, the R3-D3 looks pretty cool and GL-4T reminds me (sort of) of Johny Lightning???? Johnny-Five??? from the movie Short Circuit with Ally Sheedy.

Have to agree there, it does give off a Johnny #5 feel. :D Which isn't bad, cause I enjoyed the movie. :cool:

Hopefully I'll be able to get these, I went to Disney World when I was 2-3 (my Mom won a trip from McDonalds, that's the only way we could afford it), but don't remember alot from it. We didn't go on Star Tours either cause it was being worked on or something then. I think I would've remembered that. (I remember hugging Mickey, I definitely would've remembered something related to Star Wars!...even if I didn't know about Star Wars then. :D)

The Droids are great looking, and would add alot to dioramas, especially Mos Eisley and Rebel or Imperial base dioramas.

sith_killer_99
07-22-2002, 07:31 AM
These MAY end up in my collection. Their kinda like the Jorg Sacul or Toyfare Vader IMO. If I didn't go, it's kinda like...What's the point.

I know MANY will disagree with me here but these things are more like cool little momentos of your trip. If I didn't go to Toyfare 2002, or Celebration 2, or Star Tours then I really don't NEED them. Certainly not enough to pay the kinda money these are commanding in the secondary market.

Just my 2 cents.

The True Maul
07-22-2002, 07:51 AM
I don't want to go all the way to the theme park so I'll getem through the Fan Club!! :)

Rogue II
07-22-2002, 08:16 AM
I'm going to pass on them. The only one I would want is the R3, and with R3-T7 still hanging out at KB and TRU, I'll just pick up a couple more of those and re-paint it.

Mandalorian30
07-22-2002, 08:47 AM
I would like to get all of them for my collection. Only prob is that I am no where close to a Disney (Illinois) and I don't think I'll be making it down to either Disney any time soon. Hopefully I will be able to either order these from the Disney Phone Catalog or the Fan Club!!!!

Tycho
07-22-2002, 08:58 AM
I must have missed something. There are 4 of them now?

I think it's DL-X2 that I haven't seen a picture of. It probably was in our news, but I must have missed it. Anyone want to attach a picture?

I might use these droids to add to a Geonosis droid factory scene and have them working on battledroids, though I think Rex looks like he could assist the Kamino Cloners in something like ACPin's massive cloning facility diorama. To me, I want them really bad because they're totally EU droids and we can use them for whatever we want, right down to an expresso maker from Dexter's Diner!

I think two of them were going to appear as the Analysis Droids in the Jedi Temple when Obi-Wan goes to inquire about the saberdart. That may show up on the DVD cut scenes.

Also, R3-D3 was shown on the Death Star while Obi-Wan skulked around, making his way to tractor control. There was both a blue and green R3 unit on board. A red one can be scene when Vader picks his wingmen to accompany him in The Battle of Yavin.

Finally, my friend Mike already has these 3 through someone that snagged them when Disney accidently stocked them too early (or fulfilled a mail-order that they shouldn't have charged for - they aren't supposed to offer this through the mail at all!) He's opened them to photograph them for his website, and they are all highly articulated and fully finished figures, which is great to know!

They are quality pieces worth picking up! And I'll likely seem them loose, in person, soon. (actually, I'll be able to buy them in about 13 days on a planned trip to Disneyland I've got going with some friends of mine).

But note, sooner than that, I'm sure they'll be selling them at Comic Con and on E-bay. DO NOT PAY THOSE PRICES. Sure the cost of the figure "might" seem like a $40+ admission price to Disneyland or Disneyworld, making each figure "worth" $50 or so, right off the bat, but it is the intention of Disney to sell thousands of these, continuously, for at least the next year or so, I've been led to believe. This isn't something that will just be available this August.

As long as there's a Star Tours, this will be stocked there. Finally, the Fan Club, with shipping and handling on these would probably run you under $40 for 3 of them. So again, do NOT pay more than $15 for any single one of them!!!

Hopefully, the Disney stores will offer unlimited purchasing, so friends can pick these up for friends, but at $10 each, I don't think there will be army-building issues. I might want 1 R3, and 2 of the other ones a piece, but nothing crazy like the Clone Troopers needed for an army.

These should be really enjoyable to purchase - and Disneyland is fun for the entire family. So go and enjoy, or be thankful that your Fan Club is going to make themselves useful again - and hopefully soon! :D

Vortex
07-22-2002, 09:51 AM
Yup I'm in. I don't get down to Florida or Cali too much anymore, so I'll just waite it out and keep my eyes open at the fan club.

cameronmeiklejohn86
07-22-2002, 10:41 AM
I think they are junk. I couldn't bring myself to spend money on them. Of course, I don't collect every figure anyway. I would have to go out of my way to obtain these, and I am of course to lazy (and cheap) to do that! http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/images/smilies/sleep.gif

Pschtyckque
07-22-2002, 11:35 AM
Used to work on Star Tours at Dland. I would love to have these figures. I don't seem to recall that R2 droid, but all the other ones are great. Here are the droids I remember...

R2-D2 - Repairing Starspeeder in main queue
C-3P0 - Standing at conlsole in main queue
DL-X2 - I don't recall this droid having a name (it was just known as the security droid). It is in the lower droid room, standing in a corner. All it did was extend its arm.
R4-M9 - (Already released) This droid stood motionless in the center of the lower droid room, directly under...
G2-9T - As was said before, this one was once in the America Sings show as one of the singing geese (hence the G2 name.) This is in the middle on the lower droid room, working on...
R5-D4 - (Or similar droid) Another motionless droid.
Mouse Droid - Not the common one from the films, but a small droid running around the middle of the lower droid room on a track.
G2-4T - Goose droid from upper droid room.
RX-24 - (Voiced by Paul Reubens) Captain Rex. Pilot for all starspeeders.

LusiferSam
07-22-2002, 12:46 PM
I'm not sure on these figures. If I do get them it will be because the Fan Club had them at a reasonable price. I'm not going to go out of my way or pay much any EU figures. The whole new jedi order thing has left a very, very bad taste in my mouth for any EU.

jedi master sal
07-22-2002, 12:59 PM
I think the R3 is the only one I'd buy.

At least this one can be resonably assimilated into a diorama.

The other ones look so reject from an old sci-fi movie OOPS did I say that out loud! J/K:D

Seriously, if you don't go to the Park then you shouldn't be able to get these.

It's kind of like being able to by the Hard Rock Cafe Shirts. Go to any of them and you can buy one that says Eygpt or something or another even if your in Pittsburgh, for instance. Just being able to buy them anywhere doesn't show you made the effort to get there to get them. That's why I'll probably NEVER own a Jorg Sacul (besides the outrageous price for him). This should have been for C2 goers only, period. One per person, for PAYING customers only and not vendors or paid booth workers (Unless they pay admission). This way there wouldn't be the "Black Market for figs like these.

The Disney figs do look cheesy IMHO with exception to the R3 as mentioned.

eliwankenobi
07-22-2002, 01:22 PM
Since I actually worked on the Star Tours attraction at Disneyland in CA for three years, these will be a MUST-HAVE. And since I still have several friends that still work there, I'll be able to have them pick me up a set without having to bother going to the park myself. YAY!! :D

jdmarlow
07-22-2002, 01:43 PM
I have felt very passive about these star tours figures. I'm not close to the Disney land thing and I've never been to star tours. But I would buy them through the fan club if they became available.

Beast
07-22-2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
I think it's DL-X2 that I haven't seen a picture of. It probably was in our news, but I must have missed it. Anyone want to attach a picture?
Tycho, this thread has pictures of DL-X2 in it. That is if you haven't already seen them. That leaves 2 more to be revealed, if the original rumor of 6 holds true. :)

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12429

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jonna
07-22-2002, 02:22 PM
In a word, No!

Beast
07-22-2002, 02:34 PM
Apperantly the reason the 4th Droid isn't turning up yet is because it's planned for a second assortment. According to Rebelscum, there may actually be as many as 3 assortments, or 9 total droids. :eek:

According to one source there will be nine droids altogether, not six. Three waves of three, with the second coming out in three months or so.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mandalorian Candidat
07-22-2002, 03:02 PM
I was planning on picking them up earlier this month when I was down in SoCal for vacation. Now I'm a little more hesitant unless I can get them from the Fan Club cheaper than the $10 they'll be asking at the parks. I don't ever remember that boxy looking droid so I'll probably not get it, but the R3 is a definite yes. Can't have enough astromechs in my opinion..

BTW Tycho, I hope you're right about the wide availability of these things. I talked with the manager of the Rebel Base at D-Land when I was there and he said they would probably be in short supply so you would have to come into the store to buy them. I find that to be very silly because if there's money to be made, Disney will have tons produced. When was the last time they ever limited production on something that was popular? Isn't that why they produce all those inane straight-to-video animated movies?

MisterPL
07-22-2002, 05:06 PM
It would be great if these were to show up at The Disney Stores.

jdmarlow
07-22-2002, 05:28 PM
9 DROIDS?! Wow....I was considering a nice lot of 3 to add to my collection but 9 seems like a lot. I'll play this one by ear...

metaljedi
07-22-2002, 10:28 PM
Bring on the droids!

Darth Tornado
07-23-2002, 11:03 AM
Ive got tons of other figures to worry about right now instead of some theme park attractions so I voted no.

jdmarlow
07-23-2002, 12:45 PM
That is why I voted only through fan club. I am a completist, but I also have other things to get to before these Star Tours figs. I only have up to Jango Final Battle!! I need figs #32-#44!!

aikman
07-23-2002, 02:22 PM
Ive never been on star tours so these figs mean nothing to me other than a curiosity.

Im sure they will still sell great because star wars fans will buy almost anything...

c_richards
07-23-2002, 07:30 PM
I am soooo there.
It's ironic they bring them out this year as my friend and I are making a trip there in August.

Needless to say...I will have to pick up 3 sets of them

BTW - anyone know if the Indy figures are still available? I didn't get one the last time I was there since they were sold out!!!!!

MTFBWY

Pschtyckque
07-23-2002, 07:35 PM
They had a ton of Indy's in stock when I was there in December. Don't know if this helps. ;)

c_richards
07-23-2002, 07:53 PM
Coolness...
THX for the info! :)

reebo1
07-23-2002, 08:02 PM
Remember That all exscusives usualy wind up on discount shelves later on. look at the target's and TRU's.
The fan club is under new ownership and we can only hope they will carry these figures so the true fans can get these.:D

lapork
07-23-2002, 08:12 PM
For those of us who are unfortunate enough to be bestowed with the unique characteristic of being a completist, I would have to say a resounding YES!...if I can find them through the Fan Club...at a reasonable price.

thespar
07-24-2002, 01:50 PM
the two reasons i do not if i will buy them are 1) i have never been on the ride 2) with my collection being carded them might look out place with the disney symbol on them.

JediTricks
07-24-2002, 11:48 PM
Go on the ride!!! It's the most fun I've ever had on a theme park attraction, even the line is great. It puts you into the Star Wars universe flawlessly!

jdmarlow
07-25-2002, 08:58 PM
I envy you Jeditricks. I would love to be there now.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-26-2002, 01:15 AM
It's good to have connections and collector friends!

My SW collector friend is getting married and is going on a honeymoon to Disneyland in August. We exchange E-mails frequently, yet I've only met him three times since we started talking in Sept/August. Yet when we met last week he agreed to get the figures for me. Of course there were only two known at the time. Now there are four with a rumor of two more being made.

Plus, he said he is getting them for a couple of different people. Hope he doesn't go bankrupt buying all of them. And I hope he leaves enough room in his luggage.

chrisc
07-29-2002, 10:15 AM
I would never buy these figures. They are cheap, stupid, and looks like toddler toys you get at McDonalds. They would never discrace my collection no matter what they are worth.

katnipp
07-29-2002, 06:21 PM
Picked up five sets this last weekend-one for my own collection and four sets for trades to fill in some of the gaps. I wanted them just to say that my POTJ collection is complete (at least, for now.) There's only three out right now-Collection 1 is RX-24 "Rex", G2-4T and R3-D3. The other one is part of collection 2. From what I've heard, there are actually supposed to be nine total. 3 in collection 1, 3 in collection 2, and 3 in collection 3. Trust me, these look much better in person than the pictures that you're looking at on websites.

Guys, look...plan the trip. You do not have to pay admission to any of the theme parks. "Once Upon A Toy" is located in "Downtown Disney" which is just a bunch of stores located outside the actual gates of any of the theme parks. Disney is just way too expensive anyway...go to Medievil Times or something instead.

scruffziller
07-30-2002, 08:09 AM
I have gone cold turkey on collecting SW so I will not ge them. But if I still was. I would.

NiktosRule
07-30-2002, 11:06 AM
I will not buy these since they did not appear in the movie therefore I find them to be worthless pieces of crap. Plus I've never been on the ride or if I went on the ride I don't remember it meaning that it must not have been very good. I'm pretty sure I've never been on it though.

Needles
07-31-2002, 12:01 AM
I will not buy these since they did not appear in the movie therefore I find them to be worthless pieces of crap. Plus I've never been on the ride or if I went on the ride I don't remember it meaning that it must not have been very good. I'm pretty sure I've never been on it though

I agree with him,there pieces of worthless crap,And Im not going to disney land to buy them.:D

rynobot
07-31-2002, 04:24 AM
hey I accidently voted for the wrong one. I'm going to get them but not by going to the park, Im not a big fan of the looks of em but I'm a completetrisset. I want to take away my vote and vote for option number 2 instead of option number 4.

TK21874
08-01-2002, 08:40 AM
HAHA!!!!!!!

Since I already work for the mouse. I'm gonna buy as many as I can with my sweet 35% discount and put them on Ebay and suppliment my income the same way I did with those cheesy Indiana Jones figures. HAHA!!!!! Collectors will be helpless.

Just Kidding. This is what alot of Disney "Cast Members" do. Maybe "The Mouse" should pay those people a little more so they don't have to do that.

reebo1
08-01-2002, 12:15 PM
Disney sucks. All the people there are from other contries and are very nasty. The park is overpriced and extremly hot. you guys can keep your figs. i'll survive.

bobafett07728
08-01-2002, 12:51 PM
My brother, and his family are going to Disney in the beginning of September. I asked him if he could try to pick me up at least the four figs (and maybe a ship?). He is going to try. . .but who knows. If I don't get them, I may be slightly upset, but I definitely won't be paying scalper prices on eBay either.

plasticfetish
08-03-2002, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
I might use these droids to add to a Geonosis droid factory scene and have them working on battledroids, though I think Rex looks like he could assist the Kamino Cloners in something like ACPin's massive cloning facility diorama. To me, I want them really bad because they're totally EU droids and we can use them for whatever we want, right down to an expresso maker from Dexter's Diner!

I voted maybe ... and then I read Tychos post and got all excited and wished that I had enough room to build stuff like that. So, I'll probably drive the 15 miles to Downtown Disney and pick one or two up. Sure they're cheesy and so is Disney in general, but they're also novel and it is honestly a cool ride.

... and what's with this incredible cynicism?

Originally posted by reebo1
Disney sucks. All the people there are from other contries and are very nasty. The park is overpriced and extremly hot. you guys can keep your figs. i'll survive.

You don't want the star tours figures because there are foreign people at Disneyland and it gets hot out? That's a little absurd. What ... there aren't any foreigners in NY anymore and it's not hot there this summer? You may as well stop leaving your house all together.

Darth Marra 54
08-05-2002, 03:10 PM
I'll get them if I don't have to go to Disney World to get them. But they look awsome.

Jargo
08-06-2002, 09:43 PM
Well, if one or two show up in online stores like the accessory pack 'exclusives' have then i might be tempted just for custom fodder but these aren't exactly works of art as far as action figures go so I'm not breaking a sweat over them. Captain Rex and G2-4T are the two that strike me as most original but they're hardly star wars in style. More like short circuit "number five is alive!! Stephanie - stephanie - number five is alive!!!"

The R3 droid looks over painted in bright kiddy colors but then, that's why he was made - to appeal to kids visiting the ride. The dalek one looks too dumb to spend more than this talking about.

Rebelscum had a report tonight about an R5 and an R4 droid possibly being the next two to be produced. The R5 isn't the same as R5-D4 though it has diferent sensor eyes. R5-D4 has three across his face and the star tours R5 droid has two close together dead center of his face. Like a tinny pair of binoculars. But either way it's still be cool to get an R5 droid somewhere along the line whichever one it is. I'd buy that one in multiples if i could find it.

Over all though i would have to say no, i won't be collecting the series. Too expensive for one and a pain in the arse for European collectors to get hold of for another.

Tycho
08-06-2002, 11:54 PM
I just got back from Disneyland, California yesterday.

All they had were the first 2, no R3-D3 droid.

They were quite plentiful, too. A scalper was there, having paid admission to Disneyland (figures are not sold in the store outside the park) and he bought $256 worth of figures (all the clean cards basically). I was in line after him and bought 3 sets.

I did ask this guy if he was going to put those in a locker or his car and enjoy some of the rides, and he said he'd only come to the park to do that shopping and then go home and get on E-bay. Yup! I had that predicted.

Meanwhile, after several rides on Star Tours and Space Mountain, I'd noticed the ranks were completely restocked with tons more figures (of the same type). These are not going to be rare, and the park should not be sold out of them if you go there to get 'em.

Meanwhile, I noted every single droid or character they could make from the scenery:

a Mon Calamari officer is a potential (and an easy-rehash).

a Disneyland employee as your Flight Attendant is also possible.

a weird, tiny alien from the Flight Safety video that's shown while the instructions to buckle your seat belt are playing.

A human, male, Rebel Pilot that guides you through the war zone.

Then of course, there's the droids.

The R5 is orange with the two eyes instead of 3 like R5-D4 and Emperor Jargo said. It might be yellow, but hard to tell in the light. Potential droids it could represent in the movies are the R5 in Mos Eisley, the R5 on the Naboo Royal Starship, or a droid glimpsed in Echo Base.

The R4 is Green. I doubt it was R4-M9 (though I immediately looked for a Mouse Droid to sniff! 'Doh!) But would make a pretty cool figure though with R4 droids, I'm really interested in Imperial (black ones) from the Death Star II, and the white one with the black head from Echo Base on Hoth.

There are 2 droids that are made from the animatronic duck body.

There is another droid that looks like it's almost organic, and would sort of remind you of 4-LOM.

The last one I noticed was the other that we've already been shown as in production.

R2-D2 and Classic C-3PO also have potential, while Prequel versions of them are currently being released in most non-exclusive venues.

The ride was still great though and I had a lot of fun. It could be better though, and Universal's Back to the Future rides still knock the pants off of it!

Jargo
08-10-2002, 11:10 AM
R4 droid (http://www.rebelscum.com/toys2/stdroid1.jpg)

R5 droid (http://www.rebelscum.com/toys2/stdroid2.jpg)

both pics are from rebelscum and were sent in by brandon Vise (just to get the credits in there)
The R4 droid isn't really significantly different to R4-M9 that we only just got but the R5 droid is something else. I love his little eyes. But what to do what to do, this one with two eyes or an actual three eyed R5-D4? I want both types of R5 droid. not much of a difference but enough to get me excited.

Oh and Tycho, the Imperial R4 droid is dark grey/blue not black. The R5 astro droids are black though.

Also the white droid with the black head in Echo base is an R5 not an R4. :)

scruffziller
08-18-2002, 11:34 AM
Is R3-D3 suppose to be more of a knock off of our beloved R2 than an actual droid?

rynobot
08-22-2002, 10:08 PM
these figures aren't even selling on E-Bay. Anyone who tries to scalp these figures is wasting there time.