PDA

View Full Version : do ya wanna get MAMEd?!?

mabudonicus
07-22-2002, 11:47 AM
Hey DA- just wanted to freak you out with the title. Sorry, I'm a JERK sometimes:)!!
The "avatar" thread seems to have headed in a MAME (Multi arcade machine emulator, for anyone who don't know)direction, so I figgered rather than drift RIGHT off topic, I'd start this thread.
With the 80's threads and so on, I figured MAME and all the classic video games might make for some interesting interactions, and just for Dar'Argol, I figured that it would be the most uncontroversial thread I could start.
So to all MAME users, what do you DIG, man??
I'll list my faves soon, I wanna test the water first, but I will uncover one golden nugget- have you tried the game "I'm Sorry"?
If not, go dig it up RIGHT NOW!! I may even have it, PM me if you're into the MAME deal. WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

SWAFMAN
07-22-2002, 11:52 AM
MAME (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=141105#post141105)

JediJeff77
07-22-2002, 11:54 AM
I LOVE MAME as it lets me play all my old favorite games like the Mortal Kombat series and Street Fighter.
I recently downloaded an emulator called vivanonno that is supposed to run the Ridge Racer games, but I can't find the ROMS anywhere, which sucks.
-J

Jedi Knightrider
07-22-2002, 12:12 PM
Where is this... MAME? Which muliple arcade machines does it emulate? I want to know more.

The only things I know about are NESticle and BLEEM. Is this MAME some sort of pay-for software, shareware, freeware? What?

mabudonicus
07-22-2002, 12:20 PM
As far as I know, it's free- I didn't follow Swaffies link, I have mame 32 already, but you can download it from a lot of places, and many different versions.
The roms are kinda grey market, you can GET them, you just can't sell them.
It (MAME) emulates basically EVERYTHING evr releasde as an arcade game, if you look you can find everything, from pong to newer stuff like Street fighter. Many really new games require a different emulator, as do Neo Geo games. It's REALLY cool, by pressing TAB you can set up how hard the game is (or maybe it's F3, can't recall), how many "men" you get (remember when you'd play golden axe, and sometimes you only got 2 men? THAT's how it happened)
MAME rules, for sure.
What about GO GO mr Yamaguchi?? You actually have to run through an obstacle course type thing, picking up chocolate bars and PACKS OF CIGARETTES?!? What the hack does that even MEAN?

billfremore
07-22-2002, 01:07 PM
It's amazing the amounts of old games that you can have and how pitifully small they are.

Punch-out in total was something like 80K.

I'm still trying to find a decent version of Shinobi.

Forhekset
07-22-2002, 01:18 PM
MAME rules. I've been using it for several years, and it keeps getting better and better. I probably have almost 3 CDs worth of ROMs for MAME. http://www.mame.dk is a great MAME site, though they don't offer ROMs for downloading anymore due to legal pressure. But I love it...all the great old arcade classics, right there on your PC. Oh yeah, and check out this custom built arcade cabinet (http://cmdrtaco.net/jubei/) that runs MAME. Cool stuff.

pthfnder89
07-22-2002, 02:18 PM
Forhekset - that's an awesome cabinet! I'd love to have one of those sitting in my living room to challenge my friends to a game of Discs of Tron;)

MAME is fun but I haven't gotten to play it as much as I'd like. Plus I have problems finding good controllers to use; like the Star Wars Arcade. Can I get a joystick to work with it? Because flying an X-wing with the keyboard just isn't right.:D

JediJeff77
07-22-2002, 02:58 PM
I use a Microsoft Sidewinder and it works perfectly. Getting the buttons mapped properly is kinda tricky, especially with the Mortal Kombat games.
If you are more into Street Fighter, you may want to try the Final Burn emulator, it does a better job of emulating these newer (CPS2) games and the interface is easier to understand and use.
-J
Try out this site, it's my favorite for emulation news and links:
www.arcadeathome.com

DeadEye
07-22-2002, 03:31 PM
Play METAL SLUG, all the way.

In one game this guy is like, "See you in hell, boy!" and then he gets eaten by a whale. :p And in another part you're drilling your way through huge worm things. :D

pthfnder89
07-22-2002, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by JediJeff77
I use a Microsoft Sidewinder and it works perfectly. Getting the buttons mapped properly is kinda tricky, especially with the Mortal Kombat games.
If you are more into Street Fighter, you may want to try the Final Burn emulator, it does a better job of emulating these newer (CPS2) games and the interface is easier to understand and use.
-J
Try out this site, it's my favorite for emulation news and links:
www.arcadeathome.com

Thanks for the advice JediJeff. I'll see if I can get it to work next time I boot up MAME (although with my schedule I won't get to try it for about 2 weeks:rolleyes:)

Exhaust Port
07-22-2002, 07:48 PM
I love MAME!!! My personal favorites:

Galaga (the one and only)
Time Pilot
Star Wars
Shinobi
Elevator Action
Demolition Derby

Dar' Argol
07-22-2002, 08:09 PM
Mabudon, That's for giving me a bit of a laugh:D. I thought something completely different when I saw the title:rolleyes:. LOL! Thanx alot:D

Forhekset
07-23-2002, 07:51 AM
By the way, for anyone new to MAME and not sure how to get started, here's a few tips (assuming you're running Windows). First download a base, from here (http://www.mame.net/download.html). You'll want the latest WinMAME base. Then get a frontend for MAME. I use EmuLoader which you can get here (http://www.mameworld.net/emuloader/). Then grab some ROMs and drop them into the ROMS folder under the MAME directory, and you're pretty much all set. Also, for you guys who like using a joystick with MAME, check out this one (http://www.x-arcade.com/).

BanthaPoodoo
07-23-2002, 01:02 PM
The best place for ROMS is the newsgroups.

alt.binaries.emulators.amiga
alt.binaries.emulators.arcade
alt.binaries.emulators.gameboy
alt.binaries.emulators.gameboy.advance
alt.binaries.emulators.gameboy.color
alt.binaries.emulators.mame
alt.binaries.emulators.misc
alt.binaries.emulators.neogeo
alt.binaries.emulators.nintendo
alt.binaries.emulators.nintendo-64
alt.binaries.emulators.sega
alt.binaries.emulators.tg16
alt.binaries.emulators.tosec

The best emulators (in my opinion) are:

Atari 2600 - StellaX
Gameboy - VisualBoy
NES - RockNES
Nintendo 64 - 1964 with the Jabo plugin
Playstation - ePSXe
Sega Genesis - Gens
Super Nintendo - Snes9XW

MAME & MESS are good for arcades & other computer type emulators.

The best MacIntosh emulator is BasiliskII

mabudonicus
07-24-2002, 07:37 AM
Right on!! I knew that SOMEONE here would like it- I usually get blank stares when I ask about it to people I meet.
Exhaust Port- your top list is almost the same as mine. I like Dig Dug 2 a lot as well.
Son of Phoenix is fun. Bump and Jump (burning rubber) is fun too, but it's harder than I recall, even set up "lite".
One you must try if you haven't- GROBDA- it's a tank game, and I'd never seen it before, and it's awesome. Find it and play it.

Forhekset
07-24-2002, 08:19 AM
Let's see, my long list of favorite games:

1943 - The Battle of Midway
Alien vs. Predator
Blasteroids
Bionic Commando
Bubble Bobble
Contra
Centipede
Darius Gaiden
Dig Dug
Donkey Kong
Elevator Action
Final Fight
Frogger
Gauntlet I and II
Gyruss
Metal Slug
Ninja Gaiden
Pac-Man
Powered Gear
R-Type
Rockman: The Power Battle
Rolling Thunder
Shinobi
Sinistar
Street Fighter
Strider
Spyhunter
Tapper
The Last Blade I and II
The Punisher
UN Squadron
X-Men vs. Street Fighter

Herby
07-24-2002, 08:43 AM
I'm sorry, but your answers are all wrong. The correct answer is that Mame is best used for playing the following:

Ms Pac Man
Popeye
Tempest
Yie Ar Kung Fu
Captian Commando

mabudonicus
07-24-2002, 12:40 PM
Yie ar is really good. Forhekset- I have never found a sinistar rom that worked on my MAME- know where any are/were(oh, or blasteroids- awesome game, never found the complete romset)??
Oh, and Tempest Tubes, AWESOME!!
Tapper- budweiser or root beer version??

Forhekset
07-24-2002, 01:25 PM
mabudon - the version of Tapper that I play all the time is the Bud version, though I think I have the root beer version lying around somewhere too. Also, can you receive somewhat large attachments at your email address? (under a meg)

billfremore
07-24-2002, 01:38 PM
I find Popeye, Jungle Hunt and Zaxxon are always fun to re-visit every now and then.

Jonna
07-24-2002, 01:44 PM
I miss Burger Time!:cry: :cry: :cry:

Forhekset
07-24-2002, 03:05 PM
Here's some avatars I threw together earlier today during lunch (zipped up since it's a pain to upload them all separately, sorry). There's some Dig Dug (see my new avatar), some Ninja Gaiden, some Contra, and some Tapper in there...if anyone wants an old arcade game avatar for yourself, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

mabudonicus
07-24-2002, 03:28 PM
Cool. Forhekset- yeah, under a meg is okay I'm pretty sure. My goofy German buddy sent me 3 photos of himself that added up to roughly 4 meg, and it crashed my machine 3 times, but under a meg is fine. Should I pm you my address?? I can always send you stuff you might not have too, zip files are nice and small:)!!
Oh, and Jonna- great minds think alike- my friends and I are making a phoney commercial for "Burgertime the Movie" starring Kevin Costner(or someone like that) to enter into a little contest in TO. I'll PM you the details, or maybe start a thread somewhere about it. I am sure you will think our treatment of it is funny. All's I'll say here is that it's a drama/action film for "reasonable" adults, none of this fantasy or sci fi garbage:).....

jjreason
07-24-2002, 03:52 PM
I like emu's but Ive had a little trouble with MAME. I don't know why, maybe it's my CRAPPY computer. I do have NESticle, and Atari 2600 model that rocks loud and a genesis one that's made by the NESticle people. All fun, but the Atari is the best. I tried for a long while to score a commodore 64 emu, but nothing worked the way I wanted for games. Oh well, any helpin would be hot....

Forhekset
07-24-2002, 06:21 PM
Yeah that's cool mabudon, PM me your addy and I think I can help you out with a couple of things. :)

jjreason, my PC at home kinda chugs now and then with more recent games like The Last Blade, mostly when there's a lot going on at once on the screen. So it might not be MAME, but just some of the more CPU-intensive games that are giving you a problem...or do you have problems running stuff like, Frogger as well? By the way check out http://www.lemon64.com/ for all your C64 emulation needs. :) I still have my old C64 in my closet actually....

And NESticle rules.

jjreason
07-24-2002, 06:54 PM
What really rules is the desktop icon for NESticle. Classic. Metal Gear , Final Fantasy (I, II and III which I downloaded translation patches for!) and Super Spike VBall are classics that I can't get enough of. Stupid me sucks at Zelda though. Someday Ill figure it out...

Forhekset
07-24-2002, 09:10 PM
Yeah, Final Fantasy was a great game....much better than the new FF games if you ask me. My favorite is probably Final Fantasy 4/2 for SNES. By the way, check out Final Fantasy 5 for your favorite SNES emulator sometime, jjreason (there's a translated ROM floating around various sites out there). It's pretty good as well.

JediJeff77
07-24-2002, 11:35 PM
I have quite fond memories of Land Stalker for the Sega Genesis.
:)
-J

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-27-2002, 12:39 AM
For those of you who are looking for an addicting game from the 80's (and I see many great ones mentioned in the previous posts) I strongly, highly, recommend you download a fan's homemade version of Press Your Luck (see avatar). This is an addicting game, and one that I think all of you will like. Just click on the link below and on the page listed under Software click "Press Your Luck." It is one mega cool game and who knows, it may bring back those bottled up memories from the 1980's.

Again, I highly recommend. Take it from me, give the game a whirl. It works on pretty much every Windows configuration including Windows ME, 2000, 98, 95. It is simple to download, a baby could do it. The game doesn't take up too much memory. Please give it a try.

Oh, and did I say I highly recommend it? :D http://www.crossbearer.com

Exhaust Port
07-27-2002, 12:02 PM
Big Bucks, No Whammies!!!

DarthQuack
05-14-2010, 05:45 PM
I miss Burger Time!:cry: :cry: :cry:

Me too....I hope to play it at Funspot in a few weeks.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-16-2010, 12:44 PM
Holy thread bump Batman!

Burger Time, Donkey Kong, Pitfall! Those were the staples of the Atari that I used to play at my Grandmother's house in the late 80's/early 90's.

Dar' Argol
05-16-2010, 01:10 PM
Holy thread bump Batman!

That's a 8 year thread bump:eek: First post did kinda freak me out now . . . was trying to figure out what Mabs was talking about . . .

I loved Joust and Stampede on the Atari and I still have them for my Atari! Altered beast and Golden Axe are classic Sega games IMO.