PDA

View Full Version : Cool Sci-Fi everyone should see...

Jedi Knightrider
07-22-2002, 02:14 PM
Going with the opposite idea of the "worst sci-fi ever" thread, here is a thread where everyone should recommend GOOD sci-fi that not everyone might know about. Obscure Sci-Fi if you will... with that in mind I present to the masses my pick for really good Sci-Fi flick that didn't get much recognition:

Enemy Mine

Enemies because they were taught to be. Allies because they had to be. Brothers because they dared to be.

Starring Dennis Quaid and Louis Gosset Jr. as two star fighter pilots from different warring planets who crash land on a barren planet together.

GREAT MOVIE!!!

now you go.

icatch9
07-22-2002, 02:27 PM
Yea, I saw that when I was a kid. It's a real good movie. I thought it was pretty grose when that guy picked up that ear in the conver belt thing.

Another great movie is The Last Starfigher. A know nothing kid (about 17 or 18 years old) from a small town just happens to be the best at a the star figher video game. Low and behold this just happens to be an alien training madual in wich he is found to be the kind of "chosen one" and The Last Starfighter. It's cool the f/x aren't to bad for the 80's either. It's fun and sums nicely.

Beast
07-22-2002, 03:02 PM
Definatly love both Enermy Mine and The Last Starfighter. Great movies that I grew up with. I'm going to go a little more mainstream, but only because most people haven't seen the extended version.

The Abyss - Great flic, but make sure you get the Director's Cut. The theatrical version was cut so much, that you don't understand what's going on. Atleast with the D.C. you get alot more info, and you know what's happening. :)

Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Great flic from Spielburgs early years. Give the new DVD a whirl. The added in alot of stuff, and cut the horrible "Inside the Mothership" ending that was added for the Speciel Edition release. :)

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - One of my favorite BBC miniseries. Gotta love the cheesy special effects like Zaphod Beeblebrox's 2nd head that was state of the art at the time. They just released a cool 2-disc DVD a month ago. :)

Krull - Great little Sci-Fi/Fantasy film from the early 1980's. Love the combination of the Fantasy settings with the usual evil aliens storyline. There are some real Star Wars moments in the film. Plus don't forget Liam Neeson in one of his early roles as "Kegan". I know this is a sci-fi thread, but Legend (especially the Director's Cut) is great also.

Dune (Sci-Fi Miniseries) - I can't stand the horrible movie from 1984. It took a decent book and totally basterdized it. Turned the weirding way into some kind of gun. Ugh, don't even get me started on how bad that was. The Sci-Fi Channel Miniseries is very faithful to the book. Can't wait for "Children of Dune" later this year. :)

Farscape - Love the series, one of the freshest things ever to come out of the sci-fi genre. I wonder if Scorpious is going to start becoming good, like Crais did. This new season started off really well, and I can't wait til Friday. Going by the commercials on Sci-Fi channel for this weeks episode, Pa'u Zotoh Zhaan is back. Yipee!! :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DeadEye
07-22-2002, 03:17 PM
Jar Jar, I disagree with you about Dune. I actually thought the movie did most things better.

Jonna
07-22-2002, 03:26 PM
I liked both Dune movies, but for completely different reasons. I have both at home and usually watch them together over a few day period. They're the kind of films that you can watch over and over again.

Beast
07-22-2002, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by DeadEye
Jar Jar, I disagree with you about Dune. I actually thought the movie did most things better.
The movie totally basterdized the original book, enough that I imagine that Frank Herbert probably spun in his grave after that one.

The Weirding Way being a gun, the Navigators being giant monsters, rain on Aracus at the end of the movie. They cut pretty much the entire environmental/political storyline from the movie. The Mini-series atleast remains faithful to the novel. :)

Let's not forget the most horrific thing about the David Lynch version of Dune. Sting in tiny little tight black leather underpants. The horror, the horror. :eek: :dead:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

wedgeA
07-22-2002, 03:56 PM
DARK CITY- similar concept to The Matrix, but IMHO far superior, and predates that film by a year. Great DVD, especially considering that it was released in the format's infancy.

AI- Yeah, I know that a lot of people despise this film, but I feel that it is one of SS most moving and intelligent films. His trademark sentimentality, which I normally dislike, is quite effective here, and Osmet and Law deliver incredible performances. Also, the much maligned ending is great, reminds me of Zager and Evans' tune of "In the Year 2525".

V and V the Final Battle: Great stuff, its reputation has been tarnished by the short lived, pedestrian weekly series that followed it, but with Final Battle heading to DVD next month, the two mini's deserve another look. Watched the tape last year, and it has aged pretty well, more or less.

Jonna
07-22-2002, 04:06 PM
I was really disappointed in Dark City in much the same was I was with The Cell. I was just hoping that it was going to be much better then it was.

billfremore
07-22-2002, 04:56 PM
I take it we're avoiding the obvious good Sci-fi flicks, (Star Wars, Aliens, Evil Dead, yadda, yadda), and focusing more on not so well known movies.

Ok then, TRON.
(for obvious reasons):D

Jonna
07-22-2002, 05:03 PM
The remake of The Thing. You know...back when Kurt Russel was kewl!

darthvyn
07-22-2002, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by billfremore
I take it we're avoiding the obvious good Sci-fi flicks, (Star Wars, Aliens, Evil Dead, yadda, yadda), and focusing more on not so well known movies.

Ok then, TRON.
(for obvious reasons):D

well, for some reason the evil dead movies might not be as well known as they should... so everyone should go out right now and watch them. now. go.

i thought dark city was awesome! my psych professor at school wanted to start a course on the recent films that featured a protagonist who woke up into a world that was different from their preconceived notions, being mainly about dark city, the matrix, and the truman show. i thought that would've been an awesome course. oh, well. graduated before it ever got off the ground.

jet chan
07-22-2002, 05:41 PM
fantastic planet is what i would suggest mainly do to the fact that its a cartoon and has really big blue people who keep humans as pets.

DeadEye
07-22-2002, 06:20 PM
The new version of the Thing is vastly superior to the original, in which the Thing was a carrot-like creature...:rolleyes:

An interesting sci-fi movie is Cube. Who's seen it?

darthvyn
07-22-2002, 06:48 PM
yeah, cube was pretty cool... kinda drawn out, but cool.

jet chan
07-22-2002, 07:04 PM
cube was good just not one that comes to the top of my head

pthfnder89
07-22-2002, 08:22 PM
The new version of the Thing is vastly superior to the original, in which the Thing was a carrot-like creature...:rolleyes:

It's a really cool, thinking movie. I also love Nicole de Boer

They've also already completed filming on the sequel, so it should be released sometime in the next year.:)

DeadEye
07-23-2002, 12:20 AM
Cube was cool. I liked how, just like real life and/or women, it made no sense. :D

JediTricks
07-23-2002, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by wedgeA
DARK CITY- similar concept to The Matrix, but IMHO far superior, and predates that film by a year. Great DVD, especially considering that it was released in the format's infancy.I dunno about "far superior" to The Matrix, they feel so different that I don't really like to compare, but each succeeds in great ways. I sadly caught this film on TV for my first viewing which is kinda a bummer because the beginning of the film is supposedly a studio addition, it totally messes up the way the film plays out.

I hate that I have to put "TRON" and "Blade Runner" into a category that includes the phrase "that not everyone might know about". I can't imagine why these films aren't already considered "must-see" by everybody.

There are lots of good choices in this thread already, but some that haven't been mentioned yet are:
- "Forbidden Planet" (probably the most lush, beautiful, well-produced pulp-sci-fi film ever, brought the '50s era of the genre to the big-screen in a way never done before without insulting the audience by kiddiefying anything. An incredible film which changed the cinematic genre forever)
- "The Day the Earth Stood Still" (great message told in a pretty straightforward sci fi manner)
- "2010" (better than the movie it's a sequel of in many ways, doesn't try to hide behind movie tricks or confound the audience, very straightforward sci-fi that has a good message and is a clear story rather than mired in style like 2001)
- "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" (the Disney version, it's not totally accurate to the novel, but it's a great film)
- "Soldier" (Kurt Russell gives a solid, understated performance here, the story is mostly straightforward and told well, it builds and succeeds on what it is. It's not fantastic or perfect, but it's solid)
- "The 5th Element" (great style, fairly solid story, entertaining cast and a real story to boot)
- "Stargate" (a great adventure that really captures a lot of my imagination. The show that comes after it is even better, but the movie is special because it delivers in some pretty good ways)
- "Galaxy Quest" (a great spoof of Star Trek that turns out to actually be a loving HOMAGE to it and a good story on its own. This film is very well made and has a great production)

There are definitely others I can't think of right now, and there are TONS of shows that fit this bill, but I'm blanking film titles and the shows are too numerous to mention (though Babylon 5 is definitely up at the top of that list).

update - more additions to my list:
- "Freejack" (not perfect, not even expensively-produced, but a pretty solid movie if you can get past the preconceived notions)
- "Flight of the Navigator" (a bit of a kiddie flick, this film deals with some aspects of sci fi that we rarely explore in the cinema. It has heart and is good work)
- "Explorers" (a great cast turns what could have been an entire kiddie flick into a good movie with some great sci fi concepts, a little weak once we get to the basic climax, but the finale salvages the film)
- "Dark Star" (beyond description, this '70s sci fi satire is one of John Carpenter's early works. takes a good sideways look at a lot of sci fi concepts. not a lot of money went into it, but that works for it rather than against)
- "Death Race 2000" (campy comedy sci-fi that works well in a low-budget sort of way. the concept of getting points for running pedestrians down is just a lot of sick fun)
- "Demolition Man" (Sly Stallone, who is in the previous film I mentioned, makes a fairly good action sci-fi film out of this flick)
- "Timecop" (Jean Claude Van Damme actually pulls a halfway decent sci-fi action film out of his toned posterior. I usually love time-travel themes and this one actually didn't let me down)
- "Sleeper" (Woody Allen directed, wrote, and stars in a film where a nerdy guy from the '70s is thrust into a strange future. a bit Charlie Chaplin-esque in its antics, this film has some pretty crappy production values but is entertaining and funny in a strange way)

Dar' Argol
07-23-2002, 02:17 AM
I gotta say I loved Stargate nad Galaxy Quest as well JT. Another one I liked was Freejack, with Mick Jagger and Emilio Estevez!. I thought it was a really good movie. I think I almost missed work one day finishing it. I have more but its much too late:zzz:

SWAFMAN
07-23-2002, 02:24 AM
I really disliked the Dune movie, having seen it almost immediately after reading the book. I remember saying to the person next to me, "they just skipped, like, half the book from the last scene to this one!!!!!"

I agree with those who thought the remake of The Thing was pretty cool, and Enemy Mine, too.

some location shots of the 'V' mini-series were filmed in North Hollywood / Studio City. One day, I was riding my bicycle up the street, and there at the end of the block was a freakin' flying saucer sitting right in the street. Even in L.A., this was not so common a sight that my first thought would be, "gee, they must be filming a movie." No, siree! My pulse went to about 200 bpm, and I approached with fear and wonder. As I got farther up the block, then I saw the production equipment & crew & cast all around. But for that 30 seconds from first seeing the flying saucer until I saw what was really happening, I was having a very cool afternoon!

It may not be any epic of acting or film making, but I always thought Escape From New York was cool, too.

Anyone else like the 60's sci-fi 'Marooned' ?

What about Starman?

JediTricks
07-23-2002, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by Dar' Argol
I gotta say I loved Stargate nad Galaxy Quest as well JT. Another one I liked was Freejack, with Mick Jagger and Emilio Estevez!. I thought it was a really good movie. I think I almost missed work one day finishing it. I have more but its much too late:zzz: Wow, I added a bunch of titles to my post and the first addition was "Freejack", which I just got on DVD and saw in theaters when it first opened. Great minds thinking alike, or just coincidence? ;)

BTW, I read EVERY sci-fi movie title in the IMDB to get my list above and I'm concerned that cinematic sci-fi might suck more than I give it credit for since there's 3000+ titles and we've got well under 100 "cool" films here. :D

wedgeA
07-23-2002, 05:10 AM
JT,

Great call on 2010. I don't necessarily agree with your statements regarding 2001, as I think they filmakers wanted to create a philospohical statement to be digested, examined and discussed, but not thoroughly understood. Anyway, I think that 2010 is a worthy sequel and is for the most part unfairly disregarded by fans of the original.

As for Dark City, I do hold it in high regard, but I was also extremely disappointed by The Matrix. I thought that the film began brilliantly, but degenerated in to a slick yet ultimately mind-numbing schlock fest. I thought the means through which Neo realizes his destiny is laughable and the film pretty much loses any credibility for me at that point. I think the filmakers said "nuff talk and thinkin' stuff, let's fight!!"

Exhaust Port
07-23-2002, 11:39 AM
JediTricks, you just about nailed my list of fav. Sci-Fi movies. I would like to add:

Alien
Aliens
Bladerunner
War of the Worlds

billfremore
07-23-2002, 11:56 AM

Cube was a very interesting movie.

Kinda makes ya feel claustrapobic if you watch it with the lights out.

r2dee2
07-23-2002, 12:16 PM
I'm rather a bad judge of movies because I watch just about anything SF, including things like the Quatermass series and am content.

I enjoy many of those already mentioned, including

Alien series
Bladerunner
Dune (both movie and TV)
The Day the Earth Stood Still
War of the Worlds
Forbidden Planet
Matrix
Fifth Element
Enemy Mine

Some not mentioned yet:

Thirteenth Floor....Matrix undertones.
Frequrency.... has a basic SF premise but is mostly a mystery thriller.
Star Trek IV
Terminator
The 6th Day
Somewhere in Time
The Time Machine...the old one

JON9000
07-23-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
- "2010" (better than the movie it's a sequel of in many ways, doesn't try to hide behind movie tricks or confound the audience, very straightforward sci-fi that has a good message and is a clear story rather than mired in style like 2001)

I must disagree with my esteemed colleague, JediTricks. 2001 is one of the greatest films, SF or otherwise, ever made.

- 2001 has several of the most memorable moments in movie history.
* Primordial men leaping around the mysterious "Monolith" (the word itself found its way into usage only on the heels of the film).
* The Starchild observing Earth to the triumphant strains of Richard Strauss (has music ever been used better in a film?)
* Dave slowing lobotomizing the murderous computer, the HAL9000, while he begs for his life and eventually sings "Daisy" as his swan song.
* The incredible transition from prehistoric times to the year 2001.

-Certainly the movie makes demands on the viewer. Kubrick was never one to bash you over the head with symbolism. (Try looking for all the reproductive imagery). The movie goes over 40 minutes before any dialogue is spoken. Sorry, no big explosions or thrusters firing in this one- realism was Kubrick's goal, and in space, no one can hear you scream. Looong shots. In today's MTV style films, the camera changes about every 10 seconds (think Charlie's Angels). Kubrick will hold a shot for minutes on end.

This film is a treasure trove, but you need to go in ready to look- not expecting it to be shovelled down your throat. It is a grown up movie for grown ups. I think Steven Spielberg and Lucas would have my back on this one.

wedgeA
07-23-2002, 07:07 PM
JON9000,

I had the pleasure of seeing 2001 on the big screen when our local Cinerama theatre had completed renovation (it is now a Checker auto parts store-THE HORROR!), and it ranks as most my most memorable and satisfying movie going experience. Kubrick's attention to detail is much more noticeable, with the various instructions and the Aeroflot bags, etc. So much is lost on a TV screen, I have not been able to watch it since the theatre.

JON9000
07-23-2002, 07:44 PM
Arrrgh! You are lucky! No fair, No fair!

In fairness to JediTricks, though, Rock Hudson walked out of the premier muttering, "Will someone please tell me what the Hell this is about?"

SWAFMAN
07-23-2002, 08:07 PM
Deeper meanings of Clarke's storyline aside, 2001 may be more meaningful to those of us who saw it when it first came out, because the effects at the time were awesome. I recently watched it on DVD, and some of the effects STILL are competitve wirh anything coming out today. Kubrick was one of the best film makers ever. I wish he'd not made 'EWS' because it was a bad way to go out. But I can't think of any other film maker whose films can be dissected down to nearly any frame, and find breathtakingly impressive composition - practically like a portrait in every frame. Not only artistic composition, but some powerful films and some of the best performances from actors ever captured on film. I think a director has to get some of the credit for bringing out those performances. Not all, for sure, but some.
I think Spielberg & FF Coppola are two others in a very small group of directors who can bring out over-achieving performances in their actors.

darthvyn
07-23-2002, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
The Abyss - Great flic, but make sure you get the Director's Cut. The theatrical version was cut so much, that you don't understand what's going on. At least with the D.C. you get alot more info, and you know what's happening. :)

the extended version makes the movie a much deeper film (no pun intended.) just watch it.

JediTricks
07-23-2002, 09:56 PM
Great call on 2010. I don't necessarily agree with your statements regarding 2001, as I think they filmakers wanted to create a philospohical statement to be digested, examined and discussed, but not thoroughly understood. Anyway, I think that 2010 is a worthy sequel and is for the most part unfairly disregarded by fans of the original. You say "tomato", I say "tomahto". ;) I suppose you are right, but a lot - especially the last portion - feels like a really big cinematic april fools joke basically because the film seems to have not much to say about the monolith so it needs to pad. The trip into the monolith is very reminiscent in a backwards way of Star Trek: The Motion Picture's decent into V'ger. :D But that's me, and I actually do like 2001, it's just got aspects that feel like cheating and slop to me.

I think the filmakers said "nuff talk and thinkin' stuff, let's fight!!" Yeah, that's what it seems like. ;) That's how I accepted it from the beginning, light on the sci-fi front, heavy on the "fight for the sake of fighting" front - it's an "action sci-fi film" rather than a "sci-fi action film". Dark City covers the sci-fi and philosophical fronts very well, but it's not meant to be an action film (thankfully!).

EP, Blade Runner was on the top of my list along with TRON, I was saying that it's a shame that they're not more well-known or watched. Never seen War of the Worlds yet, I'll have to check that one out.

r2, I almost mentioned "The Time Machine", but then I remembered all those weekends as a kid watching Tom Hayden play that film on KTLA ch 5 and it reminded me that I don't really think it's "cool". It probably is, but it feels like someone's grandmother's old ribbon candy. I think "The Terminator" and most of the Trek films are considered mainstream enough, so I didn't mention them (that and I'm a Trekkie so I think the world revolves around them films ;)).

JON9000, this might not be the thread for this discussion, but I think while you're right about those scenes being cinematic classics, I don't think "Man Discovering Tools (thanks to the monolith)" and "the Starchild" are really honest pieces of the puzzle, I think like many other elements of the film, it's style over substance in order to confound and dazzle and confuse the masses - those 2, like other shots, are more like the mirror at the end of the bar that makes it seem like it really is a "mile-long bar".

I've seen the film on the big screen 3 times, mostly as an older kid, and none of them were satisfying to my young mind that wanted more sci-fi and less style, more story and less misdirection, more statement and less vague philosophy. If it weren't for 2010, I wouldn't even like 2001 at all. I feel like 2001 lacks balance thanks to a lack of cohesive story (I blame Clarke for co-writing the story with Kubrick) that is only balanced out by the sequel - yet I'd forgive the first film so much more if not for the fact that it's too long (unless you're stoned, then I suppose the space-baby is a gasser ;)).

JON9000
07-23-2002, 11:10 PM
Well, even I will admit that I need to be in a certain mood to watch 2001. Everyone should watch it a decide for themselves- I think that would not displease Stanley Kubrick.

Other awesome SF movies are:

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan- Kirk deals with aging, an estranged son who hates him, and a gentic Superman bent of revenge.

Bladerunner - Harrison Ford hunts androids in futuristic LA and ponders the question- what is it that makes us human?

Aliens - before Titanic, James Cameron was a top notch action flick director.

The Matrix- humanity is enslaved by machines!

The Black Hole- an ominous spaceship prepares to enter a black hole while harboring a murderous secret.

smurfvader
07-24-2002, 04:12 PM
Here's one that I liked, but hasn't been mentioned, it's called Dreamscape. It stars Dennis Quaid as a person with some psychic abilitys who's recruited by a Goverment (I believe it was the Government) agency who wants him to use his abilitys to take part in an experiment that allows him to enter peoples dreams. It's much better than I described.
I can't believe r2dee2 mentioned Somewhere in Time. Although I like the film it's one of those guilty pleasures. It's more of a chick flick with some very small element of time travel.

JIm

Jonna
07-24-2002, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by smurfvader
Here's one that I liked, but hasn't been mentioned, it's called Dreamscape. It stars Dennis Quaid as a person with some psychic abilitys who's recruited by a Goverment (I believe it was the Government) agency who wants him to use his abilitys to take part in an experiment that allows him to enter peoples dreams. It's much better than I described. JIm

That snake monster use to give me nightmares.:(

billfremore
07-24-2002, 04:31 PM
Ahh Dreamscape, that one was very,very cool concept for a movie.
Kinda like The Cell only less pretty. :)

For some reason Night of the Comet always appealed to me as well.

Alien Nation, another fun one.

Jonna
07-24-2002, 04:33 PM
How could we all have forgotten about Timebandits? I love midgets!!! Weeeeeeeeee!

billfremore
07-24-2002, 04:52 PM
Ahh Timebandits, was that ending bizarre or is it just me?

Logan's Run, another classic.

Jonna
07-24-2002, 04:53 PM
Brazil! Brilliant!!!!!!

JON9000
07-24-2002, 05:03 PM
Looks like we are on the Terri Gilliam wagon! Don't forget 12 Monkeys!

r2dee2
07-24-2002, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by smurfvader
Here's one that I liked, but hasn't been mentioned, it's called Dreamscape. It stars Dennis Quaid as a person with some psychic abilitys who's recruited by a Goverment (I believe it was the Government) agency who wants him to use his abilitys to take part in an experiment that allows him to enter peoples dreams. It's much better than I described.
I can't believe r2dee2 mentioned Somewhere in Time. Although I like the film it's one of those guilty pleasures. It's more of a chick flick with some very small element of time travel.

JIm

Weellll.....I AM a chick:) :kiss: :D :eek:

Jonna
07-24-2002, 05:07 PM
Ha Ha! Want some help getting that foot in your mouth! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!;) ;) ;)

odb
07-24-2002, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by JON9000

-Certainly the movie makes demands on the viewer. Kubrick was never one to bash you over the head with symbolism. (Try looking for all the reproductive imagery). The movie goes over 40 minutes before any dialogue is spoken. Sorry, no big explosions or thrusters firing in this one- realism was Kubrick's goal, and in space, no one can hear you scream. Looong shots. In today's MTV style films, the camera changes about every 10 seconds (think Charlie's Angels). Kubrick will hold a shot for minutes on end.

This film is a treasure trove, but you need to go in ready to look- not expecting it to be shovelled down your throat. It is a grown up movie for grown ups. I think Steven Spielberg and Lucas would have my back on this one.

I'm not sure thats entirely true. 2001 biggest fault is that much of the movie is overworked. True the effects, camera angles and shots were outstanding for their time and in some cases still are, but several of the shots are over worked and almost too vague (the ending shot/montage showing the Dave's aging and subsequent rebirth as a starchild is a prime example).

Thenarration of the film and its abiltiy to keep you abreast of what is happening is lacking in areas (hence the ultimate trip tag it gained) leaving audiences clueless and confused. You need to have read the book in order fully understand the film. The attention to detail is nice but often it is taken too far, to the point of the pace of the film suffering.

The film is good but does not live up to the praise that is often heaped upon it. Good but flawed.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Escape from New York Cult classic from when Kurt Russell was good), Twelve Monkeys (look Brad Pitt can act) or even Pitch Black (a good one for guessnig who gonna survive) yet.

darthvyn
07-24-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by JON9000
Looks like we are on the Terri Gilliam wagon! Don't forget 12 Monkeys!

don't know if it counts as sci-fi or is more fantasy but if we're talking gilliam, then

the advenrures of baron munchausen

rocks!!! i love this movie. now if only the criterion collection could get the rights back and print their laser disc as dvd...

SWAFMAN
07-24-2002, 10:49 PM
I think this one belongs somewhere between this thread & the "worst sci-fi" thread, but still deserves some mention:
anyone remember "Videodrome" ?

Jonna
07-24-2002, 10:58 PM
I just bought it last month for $3 in a video store.

JediTricks
07-25-2002, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by darthvyn
don't know if it counts as sci-fi or is more fantasy but if we're talking gilliam, then

the advenrures of baron munchausen

rocks!!! i love this movie. now if only the criterion collection could get the rights back and print their laser disc as dvd... I would say it's more or less "fantasy" (heh heh, OBVIOUSLY ;) - it's a munchausen joke folks), but it's a good film none the less.

Beast
07-25-2002, 04:05 PM
Pendo mentioned Smeg in the Worst Thread, so I just had to metion that I'm really looking forward to the Red Dwarf movie that is supposed to come out next year. I love the series, though I haven't seen all the episodes. Sucks that they had to push back the DVD release of Season 1 to Febuary for us here in the States. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
07-25-2002, 04:17 PM
Pendo mentioned Smeg in the Worst Thread, so I just had to metion that I'm really looking forward to the Red Dwarf movie that is supposed to come out next year. I love the series, though I haven't seen all the episodes. Sucks that they had to push back the DVD release of Season 1 to Febuary for us here in the States. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Same here JJB, I can't wait for the movie! I e-mailed Robert Llewellyn who plays Kryten and I was begging him to tell me something about the movie, and he gave me some very useful information about it - he's in it! :D Not quite the information I expected but still better than nothing. Too bad I already knew it.
Too bad on the DVDs thing, I'm just glad that they're out in November here. Have you seen the covers for them on the official site, they look alot nicer than the covers for the videos, and when you have all the series together they make the Red Dwarf logo down the side. I heard rumors that a series of Rd will be coming out every three months, so you should get two series at the same time every six months.

PENDO!

darthvyn
07-25-2002, 04:45 PM
has anyone heard anything at all about SOLARIS? with james cameron and steven soderberg, it seems like gold... any news?

Beast
07-25-2002, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by darthvyn
has anyone heard anything at all about SOLARIS? with james cameron and steven soderberg, it seems like gold... any news?
Yes, I have been reading up on this one. It's a re-make of the Russian film that was based on the book of the same name. It sounds like it's going to be very good. Here is the plot synopsis from Upcomingmovies.com:

Upon arrival at the space station orbiting an ocean world called Solaris, a psychologist (Clooney?) discovers that the commander of an expedition to the planet has died mysteriously. Other strange events soon start happening as well, such as the appearance of old acquaintances of the crew, including some, like the psychiatrist's wife, who are dead.... Talking to Film Threat, Steven Soderbergh described this film as "a combination of 2001 and Last Tango in Paris."

By the way, if you are intrested at all in the original Russian film, Criterion is going to be releasing a DVD Special Edition of Tarkovsky's Solaris due out about the same time as the big budget remake. Can't wait for this. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

SWAFMAN
07-25-2002, 06:42 PM
"2001" meets "Tango"? I'll bet Verhoeven is bummed he didn't get to make this one!

smurfvader
07-28-2002, 08:07 PM
I meant no disresepct to you r2dee2, I was just supprised that someone mentioned the movie and that I liked it in spite of it being a chick flick :D
Another fim I enjoyed was The Final Countdown. An aircraft carrier from the 1980's that was stationed in the Pacific gets sucked into a time portal that brings them to Pearl Harbor on December 6, 1941. They faced the dillema of either taking on the Japanese, preventing the attack from happening and thus rewriting history or simply do nothing and let history take its course.

JIm

DarthBrandon
07-28-2002, 08:17 PM
A.I. is a movie I disliked quite a bit, but I would recommend that everyone should see it just for the great special effects and all around scenery. An excellent example of how the future may look like.

r2dee2
07-28-2002, 10:23 PM
smurfvader...no problem....I was just messing with you, as I figured you didn't know I was a chick....well, more a mother hen:)

I also enjoyed the Final Countdown or any Time Travel paradox movie.

plasticfetish
07-29-2002, 04:19 AM
Ahhh ... errr ... ummm ... in no particular order.

Planet of the Apes (I love all of the old "apes" movies and the TV show too.)
Soylent Green (Another shirtless Heston classic.)
Logan's Run
A Clockwork Orange (Read the book too! Anthony Burgess never cared for the movie, but I love them both.)
Blade Runner
Alien (I recently watched the DVD and listened to Ridley Scott's commentary ... I have much respect for the guy.)
Brazil (Yeah, Terry Gilliam could probably make a movie about my house burning down and I'd love it though.)
Nineteen Eighty-Four (Could be better ... Could be worse. Hurt + Burton = good!)
Fahrenheit 451 (I would "choose to be" this book also.)
Rollerball (If only to see James Caan getting beat up!)
Mars Attacks (As much as I like this movie ... it just makes his "apes" movie so much more ... not great.)
Dune (There's much NOT to like about this film ... but I still watch it whenever it's on. It's been the catalyst for many a fine Sunday afternoon nap.)
Lifeforce (Hah hah hah ... no seriously ... this film has it ALL! Space vampires, zombies, Patrick Stewart, soul sucking and plenty of mayhem. Oh yeah, and the somewhat attractive space vampire woman walks around naked throughout the whole movie, but that's not why I own it. It was on sale ... honestly.)
Any and every movie that involves a guy in a rubber suit crashing into miniature buildings and airplanes! (You must watch every ... Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra and Gamera movie in one sitting and you will like it and you will not complain! Only when you come to truly understand the ways of SUITMATION will you be allowed to see your beloved "CG" again.)

<cough> Hah ... err ... Sorry.

The War of the Worlds
Westworld
Silent Running
THX 1138 (Don't like it? Watch it and then watch the scene in AOTC on Kamino with the clones at their computer consoles ... similarities?)
Escape from New York
Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan (Khaaaaaaaaaan!)
Fantastic Voyage
The Omega Man (Yet another brilliant shirtless Heston classic!)
Mad Max
Sleeper
The Rocky Horror Picture Show (Yes, it's science fiction.)

Oh Yeah ...

Artificial Intelligence: AI (I recently and finally saw a panned and scanned "payperview" version of this movie on my sick and distorted 20 inch television. With all of that hindering it, I still have to say that I loved this movie. I honestly can't understand what's not to like. It looks good from start to finish, the story is a classic fairy tale but with a Sci-fi twist and the acting is great. The end was a total and pleasant surprise to me ... I think this may be one of my favorite movies.)

:]

Anyone notice that the amusing fellow that started this particular thread has been banned? What happened?

Beast
07-29-2002, 04:28 AM
Thanks for reminders of 2 of my favorite guilty pleasures, plasticfetish. :)

Lifeforce is an excellent movie, especially if you have the extended european cut of the movie. It restores alot of the stuff that really was needed in the american cut. If you own it on DVD, that is the only way it has ever been available. And yes, Patrick Stewart is great in this. :)

How could I forget to include, Rocky Horror Picture Show. A excellent spoof of old sci-fi movies, with a unique twisted vision. Also one of my favorite movies. The DVD release was excellent, especially the extended U.K. cut, as well as tons of extras and audio commentary. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

scruffziller
07-29-2002, 04:47 AM
VIRUS is an excellent one AND ST:TMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go SPOCK SPOCK SPOCK!!!!!!!!

plasticfetish
07-30-2002, 01:53 AM
Lifeforce is an excellent movie, especially if you have the extended european cut of the movie. It restores alot of the stuff that really was needed in the american cut. If you own it on DVD, that is the only way it has ever been available. And yes, Patrick Stewart is great in this. :)

No, I own it on VHS ... a copy that Tower was getting rid of. But, I've been debating whether it was worth it to buy the DVD and you've convinced me. I probably would have eventually anyway ... and I may have understated my weird fascination with this movie. For years in my home the word "lifeforce" has been used as a verb and sometimes an adjective. For instance ... "Did you see how sickly so-and-so looked ... she was totaly lifeforced." Then there's ... "I think the only reason old whats-her-name keeps so-and-so around, is because she's lifeforceing her at lunch time to stay alive." I had been talking about this movie to my wife for so long that I finally had to buy it to explain these references. She agreed that it was very good.

I'm relieved to see that someone OUTSIDE of my cruel little home enjoyed it also. That is ... unless you're living in my crawl space ... that would be different.

Beast
07-30-2002, 02:10 AM
Cool, glad I could talk you into the DVD. It really does flesh out the story. The extended cut runs about 15 minutes longer, and really really makes the film better. :)

And no, I'm not living in your crawlspace. Whatever gave you that idea. *whistles innocently* What, I swear. Those noises you keep hearing under the house arn't me. Honest. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

odb
07-30-2002, 03:33 PM
One film I missed off that anyone should at some point see is Metropolis. It may seem a rubbish now but considering it was made back in the 30s, so you can see how many films it has inspired since then. Truly a Grandaddy of Sci-Fi films.

Beast
07-30-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by odb
One film I missed off that anyone should at some point see is Metropolis. It may seem a rubbish now but considering it was made back in the 30s, so you can see how many films it has inspired since then. Truly a Grandaddy of Sci-Fi films.
Metropolis is definatly an often forgotten movie classic. And was pretty much one of the first real serious sci-fi movies. It's hard to believe it was made back in 1927. :eek: It's so sad that so much of the film is lost to time, thanks to the Nazi regime. But they keep turning up more footage all the time, and there is a 2-disc DVD S.E. of it coming out next year. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

odb
07-30-2002, 03:48 PM

there is a 2-disc DVD S.E. of it coming out next year. :)

Finally someone might do it justice. This film has to be some of the most cut, re-edited and messed about films, with numerous versions ranging from a dubbed version to a special short version to keep audiences happy. Although a directors commentary may be missing:rolleyes:

JediTricks
08-03-2002, 06:07 AM
I'm pretty sure I forgot to mention this one, but "The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension" deserves to go on my list (and hopefully yours too). This one is just so out there, but "cool sci-fi" is definitely a very accurate description of this flick.

wedgeA
08-03-2002, 06:44 AM
Anyone see Signs yet? It definately deserves inclusion on this list. An incredible film.

JON9000
08-05-2002, 06:20 PM
Oh my- I cannot forget to mention:

A CLOCKWORK ORANGE

For you young ones, I would not recommend it for many reasons. First, the content is too graphic and the movie really slows down in the second act, when the philosophical issues are delved into. But talk about hard SF that leaves you pondering the imponderables! Crime- how should we deal with it? Should we punish or reform? Is reform more cruel than punishment, contrary to popular belief? This is what SF is supposed to do. A real gem.