PDA

View Full Version : Plans for a new sand crawler!!

mylow thehutt
07-22-2002, 03:08 PM
:) Over at reblescum's fourms,they stated that the jawa sand crawler is on the drawing board,and will come with an exclusive R5-D4!!
thoughts

DarthBrandon
07-22-2002, 03:17 PM
If it is in the works then thats great, but why another R5-D4, we already have one and the Jawa's have many more droids than R5-D4. Show us something new if thats the case.

Beast
07-22-2002, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by brandon
If it is in the works then thats great, but why another R5-D4, we already have one and the Jawa's have many more droids than R5-D4. Show us something new if thats the case.
I read about this over there along time ago, from a reputable forum member there. I didn't wanna get hopes up though, so I didn't mention it. I think R5-D4 would be a great choice as a pack-in. Though people that don't buy vehicles will likely be upset if he is chosen. As to why another R5-D4? Well the first one was horrible, over scaled, had a missle inside, and laser guns on it's legs. A re-sculpt is sorely needed. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

FlakMan
07-22-2002, 03:55 PM
I have that R5-D4 with the missile and the lasers on his legs. I lost the missile. :( Yes it is in bad need of a re-sculpt. An idea for Hasbro would to get cracking on making some of the other droids found inside and out of the Jawa sandcrawler. Or build some right in to the droid holding pen. I think that missile was in best hopes to re-enact little "red" blowing his servo-motor, but like his size it was over-exaggerated. The could make a panel in the top of his head open up and a piece stick out like it did in the movie, perhaps using a button. And make is "legs" as articulated as the Saga R2-D2 (the best R2 to date).

Rogue II
07-22-2002, 04:03 PM
I'm not going to hold my breath for it, but, a Sandcrawler and a new R5-D4 would be great. Hopefully, they will release a few more droids from the Sandcrawler scenes before the end of the line.

For the record, the POTJ2 R5-D4 looks much better after you cut off those guns and the plastic piece between his feet.

Saga R2-D2 isn't my favorite R2. I like the Commtech R2 and the Preview R3 the best.

mylow thehutt
07-22-2002, 04:03 PM
I have an R5,and I lost bolth his panels!

Jargo
07-22-2002, 05:00 PM
They could use the same technology that they used in R2-D2 with periscope so that the panel 'pops up' on the top of his head. But ultimately I hope the figures come seperately as not all of us will have a chance to get hold of what will undoubtedly be an American only exclusive vehicle. If I can't have the sandcrawler I'd like to be able to get hold of the R5 droid carded. Or the R1 droid or whatever droid it might be. I'm very unlikely to get hold of the shuttle if that makes it's way out this xmas and I'll be sore about that but even more sore if they pack the only Imperial dignitary in with it. I'll be the same if R5 comes with the sandcrawler.

But like many, this news of the sandcrawler has been floating round so long now it's hard to take it seriously anymore. hasbro won't say either way whether it's in the works or not so why get flustered over it and waste energy?

JON9000
07-22-2002, 05:02 PM
Great, as long it is AT-AT sized! I'm not getting a Shuttle, but I would plunk down so cash for the Sandcrawler!

Lord Tenebrous
07-22-2002, 05:14 PM
I would sacrifice some detail for scale, but Hasbro might choose to do the opposite. At any rate, I hape Hasbro will take its time and get the vehicle right, it can always release an AOTC Jawa Camp and ANH Scavenged Droids accessory set later on.

Hopefully, it will come into development with the value of new vehicles like the Republic Gunship, so I'd hope for a $50-60 price tag, depending on certain additions.

hango fett
07-22-2002, 05:16 PM
it sounds cool, but i aggree with brandon that it should have a diffrent droid that r5. we just need another one of him in the regular line, not with a big sandcrawler that will probably cost 20-30.

FlakMan
07-22-2002, 05:48 PM
Has Hasbro or Kenner ever made a Sandcrawler outside of Micro Machines and Action Fleet stuff?

Beast
07-22-2002, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by FlakMan
Has Hasbro or Kenner ever made a Sandcrawler outside of Micro Machines and Action Fleet stuff?
Yes, it was remote controlled and exclusive to J.C.Penny's back in 1979. It was very small, not correctly scaled. But it was cool for it's time. I would like to see Hasbro make the new one slightly bigger and more accurate. :)

http://systems.figures.com/database/index.html?page=detail&sdomid=5&sitemid=937

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Hellboy
07-22-2002, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

Yes, it was remote controlled and exclusive to J.C.Penny's back in 1979. It was very small, not correctly scaled. But it was cool for it's time. I would like to see Hasbro make the new one slightly bigger and more accurate. :)

Yeah I had this vehicle for a day. My Dad got it for me at Christmas but it didn't work so we took it back and there weren't any more left. I settled for the Imperial Troop Transporter as a replacement.

Actually this is one of the more accurate toys in the origanal trilogy line. It matches the details and proportions of the movie prop model. Obviously it would have to be HUGE in order for it to be scale.

Lobito
07-22-2002, 06:43 PM
So its true then?? Are we finally getting a Sandcrawler after 20+ years of waiting??? Well...it better be good!!!:D

gsr-jedi
07-22-2002, 07:28 PM
I think it would be great if they produced R5 on his own card, and the Sandcrawler came with another droid the Jawas scavenged AND a Jawa (it'll probably be big, and a small droid and Jawa could be possible that way). Then release either a single Jawa or a Jawa 2-pack. And like Lord Tenebrous said they could make a couple of accessory packs; one could be AOTC Jawa camp with Jawa chieftain; and the other could be ANH Scavenged Droids and it could come with some restraing bolts and remotes, and 2 or 3 droids

hango fett
07-22-2002, 07:31 PM
i think this and the tie interceptor/bomber are the most anticapated of all. at least that is what it said on the back of the tie bomber/interceptor (i can't remeber which..:rolleyes: )

Lobito
07-22-2002, 07:35 PM
3 unrealised droids please.:D

DarthBrandon
07-22-2002, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

I read about this over there along time ago, from a reputable forum member there. I didn't wanna get hopes up though, so I didn't mention it. I think R5-D4 would be a great choice as a pack-in. Though people that don't buy vehicles will likely be upset if he is chosen. As to why another R5-D4? Well the first one was horrible, over scaled, had a missle inside, and laser guns on it's legs. A re-sculpt is sorely needed. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I guess what I meant to say was I'd rather have another droid instead of R5-D4 included with the Sandcrawler. If they do another R5-D4 they should put him on card. I just like the fact of having something different than the same old thing time and time again that's all.

Jargo
07-22-2002, 07:41 PM
this is the page from that figure archive book by Sansweet minus the text because you couldn't read it at this scale anyway. Just shows what the toy looked like compared to the film prop model. In actual fact the shape was right but the size was just out by about tenfold. I really can't see Hasbro putting a bigger vehicle out than this vintage mold. The trend so far has been to retool the original not do a completely new mold. With the exeption of Slave-1 which was so bad they had to redo it for todays consumer. But as the sandcrawler is basically just a big box on tracks I think hasbro will go with the vintage mold if they go at all. And of course they'll fill it with fish too but not that that seems to matter to anyone seeing as no-one seems to pay the blindest bit of atention to me unless I'm having a blazing row with someone. It's like I never responded to this thread and all of a sudden I'm invisible or I've become a lampshade in the corner. But if hasbro did fill it with fish everyone would be wanting the variation fish that go mouldy or the better variant that doesn't and is vaccuum packed. And Hasbro would probably pack it with fish of one type for the states and one type for the rest of the world but no-one would care at all because apparently I never posted this. I wasn't hear. I do not exist.

rynobot
07-22-2002, 07:44 PM
I don't think Hasbro has any of the old molds from any of the vintage toys anymore.

Beast
07-22-2002, 07:47 PM
Jargo, you are forgetting that they also made a better version of the X-Wing that was more proper to scale. As well as the upcoming Landspeeder. And don't forget the TIE Bomber that was a new sculpt as well. So there is always a chance that Hasbro would increase the scale on it. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
07-22-2002, 08:25 PM
Well seeing as I don't exist i can say with some confidence THHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And then feel much better for it.

Top and bottom of it is that I really want a brand new sculpted sandcrawler as much as anyone. I'd like to see it three times as large with a proper staircase between the treads and a decent attempt at the droid suction tube. I'd laike to see the whole side come off and show a salvage factory inside with the escape pod hanging up waiting to be melted down. I'd like to see the front hings down to recreate the scene from AOTC. I'd like to see a proper control room with space for a few Jawas above the droid hold. I'd like the tracks to work like proper tank tracks with rubber treads over cogged wheels. I'd like it to come with a new Jawa, the freaky tall one and R1-G4, CZ-1, RA-7, R5-D4, H-HYD, 2X-3KPR, LIN-V8K and a host of accessories relating to a travelling scrapyard inhabited by dwarf alien vagrants.

But that isn't going to happen in a month of sundays. I'm just resigning myself to be disappointed so that if this happens and it's a new sculpt and it turns out to actually be good - I'll be pleasantly surprised.

mark2d2
07-22-2002, 09:05 PM
I've been following this rumour for quite some time, and am just now slowly allowing myself to start to believe in it. In so many ways, it makes sense. The exclusive vehicles have really been selling very well. And this is such an iconic ship and one that hasn't been done in . . . well . . . an eternity.

The whole R5-D4 pack-in threw me. (Everybody is clamoring for him, and the only do him as an exclusive pack-in?) Then again, we might get an extra R5 out of it and they'll probably recycle the mold and give us another R5 --- perhaps an imperial model?

Anyway, as far as how big it will be --- I tend to follow Jargo's line of reasoning. I can't see them making it bigger than the original. Besides, it really was a pretty great mold! So much so, a part of me just hopes they don't screw it up!

Still, as JarJar was quick to point out --- look at the new Landspeeder. (Way to go, Hasbro! It's so cool -- I don't even mind that suddenly I have yet another ship to buy.) And then there's the TIE BOMBER --- truly the high water mark in Star Wars vehicle execution . . . So, maybe Hasbro will go all out.

Either way, I'll be very happy. The Sandcrawler will probably be the focal point of my collection as it has always been one of my favorite designs. Bring it on, Hasbro. Bring it on.

FlakMan
07-22-2002, 09:49 PM
Does anyone besides me have the old Landspeeder? I'm sure mine is broken (I used to share it with my brother), but at least it would be cool to find it and contrast and compare.

mark2d2
07-22-2002, 10:22 PM
Welcome, Flakman. I see by your number of posts that you're very new to the threads. So, you probably weren't around a while back when the pics of the new landspeeder were first posted. There was an excellent thread where someone photoshopped comparison photos so it was really easy to do what you're talking about. I don't remember the exact thread --- but if you poke around a bit going back a month or so you might be able to find it. It's definitely worth a look. maybe somebody handy will post a link -- I don't know how to do that.

Beast
07-22-2002, 10:32 PM
Here is the link to the Landspeeder threads:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10700

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11468

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DarthBrandon
07-22-2002, 10:38 PM
Dam you JarJarBinks, you beat me to it, like you do all the time. Oh well I think I better get a faster computer, faster hands, and faster everything. Your just to darn fast.

Battle Droid
07-22-2002, 11:15 PM
If it's an exclusive, it should be a Wal-Mart exclusive, they haven't gotten any Saga Line vehicles yet.

mark2d2
07-23-2002, 01:30 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Walmart were the retailer to pick it up. They've had such a great success with the Tie Bomber and Snowspeeder. Also, a tatooine sandcrawler would kinda' sorta' tie in with those Cantina sets. And you're right --- they are definitely due for another round of ships.

Jargo
07-23-2002, 08:12 AM
I'd rather TRU got the exclusive. Or beter still don't make it exclusive at all.

evenflow
07-23-2002, 10:10 AM
At this point i will take whatever I can get. A Sandcrawler would be awesome. I would have love to see it packed with droids though. At least 2 or 3.

DARTH DUBIOUS
07-23-2002, 02:54 PM
A Sandcrawler of any description would be of benefit to the Saga line right now. For a start it would go some way toward providing a carry case for the multitude of figures released so far. Not to mention a home for my Jawa collection. "Home boys - home on the range..."

Selling it without figures would make it cheaper though. And the quality could be just that little bit higher. Save the droids for the blister packs. They come out better that way.

Tycho
07-24-2002, 02:16 AM
In terms of large vehicles, the Sandcrawler ranks highly amongst my wants, but it's not the top dog. I think my list goes something like this:

#1 Jabba's Sailbarge

#2 Republic AT-TE Walker

#3 Trade Federation MTT

#4 Republic Cruiser (Radiant VII)

#5 Sandcrawler

Starships like the Tantive IV, a Star Destroyer, Mon Calamari cruiser, or the Republic Dreadnaught (AOTC) are too large and impractical to likely ever see as toys, though I built a Blockade Runner to show them it could be done (to the scale of the GI Joe aircraft carrier).

But if we're talking Sandcrawlers, let's keep the discussion limited to vehicles about the same size.