PDA

View Full Version : What's the top five horror movies you've seen ?

DarthBrandon
07-23-2002, 01:04 AM
Well I've watched alot of horror movies and I'm wondering what's your top five picks.

Mine are in reverse order:

5.) The Shining
4.) Exorcist
3.) An American Werewolf In London
2.) Psycho
1.) Evil Dead ( Best low budget and best horror film ever.)

DeadEye
07-23-2002, 01:06 AM
Brandon...I've not seen one of those.

Nexu
07-23-2002, 01:08 AM
Dude, get off your some-what kick-*** computer, and watch some movies. :p

2-1B
07-23-2002, 01:10 AM
:eek:

You've not seen The Exorcist ? ? ? ? ?

:eek:

Anyway, tops for me is The Exorcist, Halloween at second, A Nightmare on Elm Street could force a tie at second, as for my next 2?

Let me get back to you, decisions, decisions . . .

DarthBrandon
07-23-2002, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by DeadEye
Brandon...I've not seen one of those.

Get out there and rent them so you can see what we are talking about. Those are older movies, but really good horror flicks.

P.S. Don't expect state of the art special effects.

Beast
07-23-2002, 01:30 AM
I can't pick just 5, that's totally impossible. So I will put the movies with sequels that are just as good together. I was considering adding Resident Evil, but it's to new to be a favorite. :)

1. Hellraiser/ Hellbound: Hellraiser II
2. Re-Animator/ Bride of Re-Animator
3. Evil Dead/ Evil Dead II: Dead By Dawn/ Army of Darkness (D.C.)
4. An American Werewolf in London
5. Return of the Living Dead - "Send...more...paramedics!" :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DarthBrandon
07-23-2002, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
1. Hellraiser/ Hellraiser II
2. Re-Animator/ Bride of Re-Animator
3. Evil Dead/ Evil Dead II: Dead By Dawn/ Army of Darkness (D.C.)
4. An American Werewolf in London
5. Return of the Living Dead - "Send More Paramedics" :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I really liked Hellraiser and Re-Animator. Hellraiser was originally going to be my number five pick, but I chose a classic instead. Good picks JarJarBInks.

SWAFMAN
07-23-2002, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by brandon
Well I've watched alot of horror movies and I'm wondering what's your top five picks.

Mine are in reverse order:

5.) The Shining
4.) Exorcist
3.) An American Werewolf In London
2.) Psycho
1.) Evil Dead ( Best low budget and best horror film ever.)

Wow Brandon! That list is almost exactly what mine would be, except with one title change and an order change:

1.) The Shining (to me this is the scariest movie ever made)
2.) Exorcist
3.) Psycho
4.) An American Werewolf In London
5.) Rosemary's Baby (my mom took me to see this 1st-run at the movies when I was VERY young & I spent most of the movie hiding under my movie seat!)

I would also argue that ALIEN was as much of a horror flick as a sci-fi, and if accepted as horror genre, it would probably be #2 or #3 on my list.

2-1B
07-23-2002, 02:15 AM
How could I leave the original Night of the Living Dead off my list? :confused:

The 1990 Savini remake wasn't too bad either, but I was ticked that Ben became a zombie. Though it's less tragic than getting killed by a bullet the next morning. :cry:
If I knew in advance that Savini was going to be at Wizard World, I would have brought my DVD to get signed.

DarthBrandon
07-23-2002, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by SWAFMAN

Wow Brandon! That list is almost exactly what mine would be, except with one title change and an order change:

1.) The Shining (to me this is the scariest movie ever made)
2.) Exorcist
3.) Psycho
4.) An American Werewolf In London
5.) Rosemary's Baby (my mom took me to see this 1st-run at the movies when I was VERY young & I spent most of the movie hiding under my movie seat!)

I would also argue that ALIEN was as much of a horror flick as a sci-fi, and if accepted as horror genre, it would probably be #2 or #3 on my list.

Yes I would agree that if they were in order of scariest, then mine would be almost identical to yours.

I just thought of another good one. Carrie was pretty scary as well back then.

QLD
07-23-2002, 03:03 AM
Hmm.....I have two seperate lists. The one being for true horror movies....the other being for silly ones that I love.

Horror

5: Nightmare on Elm Street
4: Psycho
3: Shining
2: Poltergeist
1: Exorcist

Silly

5: Phantasm II
4: Return of the Living Dead series
3: Toxic Avenger
2: Basket Case series
1: Evil Dead series

wedgeA
07-23-2002, 05:29 AM
Here we go in order:

1) Halloween- proves less is more in terms of body count and gore.
2) The Shining- again, less is more, but it really gets under your skin and has stays there.
3)Night of the Living Dead (1968) and 4) Dawn of the Dead- I think the orginal is better, as Dawn is a little too heavy-handed with the symbolism. However, Dawn is scarier so I'll put them together.
5) Ring- Great Japanese horror film, despite a lame sounding premise (cursed videotape). Very creepy, I actually couldn't sleep after seeing it. Soon to be an American remake at your local multiplex, wow.

Has anyon seen the Italian film The Beyond? I've heard it is very scary but I wanted second opinions.

DeadEye
07-23-2002, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Nexu
Dude, get off your some-what kick-*** computer

"Somewhat"? :D

billfremore
07-23-2002, 10:20 AM
I rate a good horror/suspense movie by how much it made me scared.

Apparently I'm one of the few people on the planet who found the Blair Witch project particularly scary.

So my movies that scared me:

1. The Blair Witch Project
2. Demons (slept with the light on after that one)
3. The Shining
4. Carrie
5. Hellraiser

Deadeye, get off your computer!
Don't make me come over there! :)

Jonna
07-23-2002, 10:27 AM
In no order:

Evil Dead 2
Demons (Thanks for reminding me about this one bill. Demon(s) was the second one in the series, right?)
American Werewolf In London
The Thing (remake)
Day of the Dead

wedgeA:
Ring- Great Japanese horror film, despite a lame sounding premise (cursed videotape). Very creepy, I actually couldn't sleep after seeing it. Soon to be an American remake at your local multiplex, wow.

Did you know that for some strange reason it is absolutely hugh in Japan. They are going to make a sequel if they didn't already.

billfremore
07-23-2002, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Jonna
Demons (Thanks for reminding me about this one bill. Demon(s) was the second one in the series, right?)

No actually it was the first one in the series.
Demons 2 was the sequel, and a poor one at that.
For those who don't know Demons was an Italian made flick that was dubbed over in english and was the goriest movie I had ever seen at that time.

If anybody loves gory movies, see the movie Dead Alive.

This Australian made movie is without a doubt the goriest film you will ever see, if you can find an uncensored version.

JON9000
07-23-2002, 10:45 AM
The Shining- nothing comes close!
The Exorcist
Psycho
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Scream

lunchymeatball
07-23-2002, 11:08 AM
I'm going to base my top five on films that gave me nightmares as a kid. So they may not technically be the "best" horror films but they were scary enough for a young me.

5. The Brood
4. Evil Dead
3. Amityville
2. Poltergeist
1. Pin

Jonna
07-23-2002, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by billfremore

This Australian made movie is without a doubt the goriest film you will ever see, if you can find an uncensored version.

Alright Bill, now your getting creepy! Maybe we were seperated at birth!

The only problem that I have with the first Demons movie is that it has really bad lighting. All that work and you can't even really see half the scenes

billfremore
07-23-2002, 11:16 AM
Well my mom did tell me the sonogram showed me as twins...

Jonna
07-23-2002, 11:18 AM
Well my mom did tell me the sonogram showed me as twins...

Were you drunk at the time and were seeing double? You were!?! We really are twins!!

Pendo
07-23-2002, 11:19 AM
I don't really watch horror movies. Not because they scare me, but because they DON'T scare me! I can't stand watching a film that doesn't do what it's supposed to. I can't watch a comedy that isn't funny!
But I'll try and make a list anyway:
1. The Exorcist
2. Nightmare on Elm Street
3. The Thing
4. Psycho
5. Carrie (hey the first 5 minutes in the shower room is the scariest thing I have ever seen :dead:!)

PENDO!

billfremore
07-23-2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Jonna

Were you drunk at the time and were seeing double? You were!?! We really are twins!!

Heck, I'm drunk now!

Say, you owe me for like 32 birthday presents!

robman71
07-23-2002, 11:41 AM
1. The Shining
2. The Exorcist
3. Evil Dead
4. Nightmare on Elm Street
5. Halloween

jet chan
07-23-2002, 11:48 AM
not really into horror too much there are some i like but i don't know if they really rank as horror

1 blade1 / blade 2
2 evil dead 2/ army of darkness
3 the truth about demons
4 hellraiser 1,2,3,5( the fourth one was terrible)
5 um i don't know i don't watch too many of this genra

QLD
07-23-2002, 05:03 PM
I will steal this line from my friend....

The scariest horror movie of all time was Beaches. No, really. It scared the hell out of me.

187-Maul
07-23-2002, 06:35 PM
I don't know but I thought the exorcist was a pretty dumb movie and the shining was good but not scary
usualy I find the not that popular or new movies scarier then the old flicks like "what lies beneath", I recently saw it at night alone on tv and it was pretty scary IMO, not THAT scary that I closed my eyes or something like that but still pretty good
no top five from me since I can't really remember the movies right now that were the scariest

wedgeA
07-23-2002, 07:12 PM
187-Maul,

I guess I am not the only one who feels that The Exorcist was an overrated film. It was good, but I don't think that it is even close to being the scariest film I've seen.

As for What Lies Beneath, I dunno, the scariest thing about that was watching Harrison Ford's professional dignity slide further into oblivion :).

2-1B
07-24-2002, 12:56 AM
The Exorcist is the scariest movie not for what is seen, but what is not seen. Not for the demonic possession, but for the weaknesses of the characters, like Father Karras for example . . . his guilt over the loss of his mother, his struggle with his faith . . . things that many people can relate to. Mixing that in under the guise of a "monster movie" is what makes it work, IMO. :)

Hey Dead Alive fans, here's a line for ya - "Creamy! Just the way I like it!"

Beast
07-24-2002, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
The Exorcist is the scariest movie not for what is seen, but what is not seen. Not for the demonic possession, but for the weaknesses of the characters, like Father Karras for example . . . his guilt over the loss of his mother, his struggle with his faith . . . things that many people can relate to. Mixing that in under the guise of a "monster movie" is what makes it work, IMO. :)
Good point on The Exorcist, Caesar. Have you heard they are preparing another Exorcist sequel. It's currently going to be called Exorcist 4:1, and will be a prequel. Here is the current cast list, director info, and some plot info. The cast may change, as the movie seems to keep hitting a stumbling block.

Cast: Liam Neeson (Father Merrin), Gabriel Mann (Father William Francis), Billy Crawford, Alessandra Martines; it's unknown if Max Von Sydow will have a cameo appearance as the aged Father Merrin.

Director Notes: (8/5/01) Before John Frankenheimer (Ronin, The Manchurian Candidate) signed on, Tom McLoughlin (Sometimes They Come Back, Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives) was to direct, followed by screenwriter Caleb Carr. (6/3/02) According to "The Hollywood Reporter", John Frankenheimer has had to drop out due to a recent back surgery that will keep him from work as strenuous as directing a horror film in remote locations for quite some time. (7/9/02) Well, John Frankenheimer died Saturday (7/6/02) of a stroke due to complications following the aforementioned back surgery.

Premise: This film will tell the tale of Father Merrin's (Neeson) journey as a young missionary priest to post-WWII Africa, which led to his first encounter with demonic forces. (Mann plays a young priest who doesn't understand how Merrin could lose his faith in God...)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DarthBrandon
07-24-2002, 01:32 AM
Well if and when they make it, I'll be sure to see it just for Liam Neeson being in the movie and cause it's an Exorcist film. I like Neeson's acting and I think he'll do a fine job.

Thanks for the heads up JarJarBinks

jjreason
07-24-2002, 02:58 AM
Top 5 scary movies (I don't really do horror like slasher stuff, but scary's cool).

Silence of the Lambs. (Most suspenseful ending).

Alien. ("Boo" scary at it's scariest).

Blair Witch Project (Discomfort is scary. Watching these people lose it was very uncomfortable. I tried to blow it off as stupid, but thought about it for a long while after watching. Jesus.).

The Shining (Just....mental).

Backdraft (I know, "Backdraft, WTF is he thinking??" Let me explain. When this movie came out I was 19 or something. My dad is a fireman. I had never once ever considered my dad might not come home from work. At the very beginning when young Kurt Russel sees his Dad blown up, I started shaking. I didn't stop until like an hour after the movie ended. Stupid movie, but that one scene scared the hell out of me).

Whoa, whoa. Hold the phone. I just remembered one that I saw in the theatre that was SUPER SCARY. It had Lou Diamond Philips as a cop of something, and some guy that could possess anyone, he possessed a bag lady, a Catholic Priest (terrfiying scene where the Priest turns into the scary guy while someone's in confession, Yikes!). I can't remember what the heck that was called. Truly scary.

I watched a bunch of those Jason and Nightmare on ElmStreet jobs when I was a kid, I guess they were scary but definitely not nearly as memorable to me as those I listed.
I definitely need to watch Exorcist again now that Im older, and see those other levels I wouldn't have caught as a kid. Rosemary's Baby, too.

QLD
07-24-2002, 11:38 AM
I have never seen Rosemary's Baby, but I plan to

Jacen Solo
07-24-2002, 08:56 PM
The 5 scariest movies I've seen are
1.)The Exorcist (I'm catholic I can't help it)
2.)Poltergist
3.)Rosemary's Baby
4.)IT (clowns are evil)
5.)American Werewolf in London (freaked me out as a kid)

Beast
07-24-2002, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Jacen Solo
The 5 scariest movies I've seen are
5.)American Werewolf in Paris (freaked me out as a kid)
I pray that you mean an American Werewolf in London. AWiP was a subpar sequel that was so different from the original that it makes me ill. AWiL had such a great original werewolf design, it was the most "realistic" Werewolf film I have ever seen. :)
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

darthvyn
07-24-2002, 09:31 PM

No actually it was the first one in the series.
Demons 2 was the sequel, and a poor one at that.
For those who don't know Demons was an Italian made flick that was dubbed over in english and was the goriest movie I had ever seen at that time.

as i was reading through this i was saying to myself "self? why hasn't anyone mentioned dead alive?" and myself said "stop bugging me!"

but then i saw your post.

as for top horror i don't have five, as i'm not a huge fan of horror, but i have to agree that silence of the lambs is up there. the evil dead series is awesome, and dead alive is insane! but awesome. so, counting the three evil dead movies, i guess that is five! go me!

Jacen Solo
07-24-2002, 09:52 PM

I pray that you mean an American Werewolf in London. AWiP was a subpar sequel that was so different from the original that it makes me ill. AWiL had such a great original werewolf design, it was the most "realistic" Werewolf film I have ever seen. :)
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I did mean American Werewolf in London, thanks for spotting that Jar Jar, its fixed know.

Thumb Wars
07-24-2002, 10:59 PM
here's my list in no particular order:

1. Final Destination - this movie was very refreshing! i haven't see explicide gore like this in a while. i like all the "we didn't show you but you know what happened" scenes, but to see heads sheard off and people getting run over was a refreshing change. is that morbid???

2. Wes Craven's New Nightmare - a great take on an old series! bringing Freddy into the real world was great. a little far fetched yes, but great non the less. and re-vamping Freddy and his "glove" was good too.

3. Parinas - i saw this as a child and it scared the beegeezus out of me. it was the ONLY movie to ever give me a nightmare. something i have been striving to recreate ever since. never had one after it, so it ranks high on my list.

4. Wishmaster - another good example of explicide gore. nothing more to say on that except a good story too.

5. Glitter - this was THE scariest movie EVER!!!!!! Maria Carry is extremely scary!!! this would have to be the all time, scarriest movie ever produced!! i couldn't sleep for days. it . . . . . . . huh?? OH! horror movies, not scary movies . . . . . . . . got it!!

darthvyn
07-24-2002, 11:23 PM
scary movie 2 - it was just scary that this thing got made. half an hour of funny bj jokes, then another hour of unfunny bj jokes. hhhwaaarrrrf!!!! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

DarthBrandon
07-25-2002, 12:29 AM
I have another one, how about Clive Barker's LORD OF ILLUSIONS. Now that was a scary one.

2-1B
07-25-2002, 05:09 AM
Exorcist sequels - a risky business.

Okay, you all know I love The Exorcist, but Exorcist II: The Heretic is LAME. Exorcist III is a quality sequel to the first film, not as good, but a noble effort. It's based on William Peter Blatty's book, Legion, and he directed the film - pretty sharp effort, if you ask me. :)
But there are problems . . . . George C. Scott does a wonderful job taking over for Lee J. Cobb as Det. Kinderman, but there's something about the character . . . his "friendship" with Father Karras. We only see him questioning Karras a few times in the first film, and he's there after Karras's death to hit it off with Father Dyer. And when we get to Exorcist III, his friendship continues with Dyer . . . but he refers to Karras as his "best friend." Huh? I read the novel, thinking maybe it just wasn't in the movie, but it's nowhere to be found. So based on what we see (and logically the little time they had together), how could they be best friends? My only rationalization is that as a homicide detective, Kinderman has a sad life . . . and few friends, so the aftermath of Karras' death haunts him. But still, in Exorcist III there is a picture of Karras with Kinderman, it seems too awkward. If I ever meet Blatty, I intend to ask him how he saw the characters. :)

And now we're presented with the possibility of a prequel . . . not sure if I like the idea. If anyone can play a young Von Sydow, I'll gladly take Liam Neeson. But what evil force is he facing? The original opens with him being introduced to Pazuzu (named used in the book, never onscreen) and it ends with him dying in the presence of Pazuzu . . . of course, as we all know, it's not just that one demon ("we are legion" - made a little too clear in Exorcist III :rolleyes: ) but my point is this - will the opponent in the prequel have enough "personality" ? Since it's supposed to be one of Merrin's first encounters, maybe it will deal more with his handling of the situations? That could work . . .

I just keep thinking about how he always confronts evil as one singular entity in the original film ("the devil will try to trick us") . . . but that's when he's a seasoned
vet . . . so I'm curious as to how they will present the evil forces in 4.
Know what I mean? :D

Hey WB, thanks alot for Exorcist II :mad: :frus:

Lobito
07-25-2002, 03:42 PM
Here we go, i'll list ten instead of 5:

1.- The Shining...simply the best horror movie IMO.
2.- Amityville:The Possesion
3.- Halloween...yep the first part.
4.- The Witch...(i think this movie was released in the 80's have u seen it Jar Jar?? i dont even know if the name is accurate but i think it was called like that)
5.- Amitivylle: Satanic
6.- The Exorcist...1st part
7.- The Omen
8.- Friday the 13th...1st part
9.- The Zero Boys
10.- Evil Dead

PS: I havent watch Hellraiser yet, but maybe this list will change after i see the movie.

Needles
07-25-2002, 04:08 PM
1)FRom Dusk Till Dawn
2)REsident Evil
3)NightMare On Elm Street 5:Dream Child
4)Resevoir Dogs
5)The Silence Of the Lambs

These are my favorites.

2-1B
07-26-2002, 03:56 AM
:Dream Child is pretty good, I agree. (sorry, couldn't resist - it's cute that you typed the colon and the D made the :D face . . . .) :D

Seriously though, I think Elm Street 5 is a decent movie, in some ways an improvement on 4 . . . and in other ways, not. I thought the comic book story line was kinda cool, with Freddy battling the comic fan. :) I was upset that they killed off Dan. :mad:

billfremore
07-26-2002, 09:41 AM
I'm hoping the Freddy vs Jason movie is entertaining and doesn't suck like Jason X.

Friday the 13th movies stopped being really entertaining after Jason went to Manhattan withe muppets or whatever that ridiculous piece of crap was called.

QLD
07-26-2002, 12:13 PM
Jason sold out when he went to the big city. He forgot where he came from.

billfremore
07-26-2002, 12:14 PM
Yeah, he should have stayed back at good old camp Crystal Lake where he was the big corpse fish in the pond. :D

Jonna
07-26-2002, 12:42 PM
I can proudly say that I live 20 minutes away from crystal lake in the film. It is actually called something else, but it got the nickname Ghost Lake.

billfremore
07-26-2002, 01:27 PM
Cool.
Ever engaged in pre-marital sex there only to be chased around by some crazed machete-wielding hockey player?

Or is this an everyday occurance in Jersey? ;) :D

Jonna
07-26-2002, 01:35 PM
They use chainsaws here! More bang for your buck!

billfremore
07-26-2002, 02:08 PM
I will always have fond memories of the Friday the 13th series of movies.

Jason will always be my fave.

I read somewhere that they will be putting out an ultra edtion of the Jason goes to hell DVD when Jason X is released on DVD as well.

Hmmm, now if they could just do a box set...:D

Needles
07-26-2002, 02:23 PM
jaSON vs fREDDY ISNT GONNA HAPPEN,THE PRODUCTION WAS CANCELED AND THEY MADE jASON x

Beast
07-26-2002, 02:35 PM
Needles, production is still underway on the film. I just read the reports the other evening, while looking for info on the other vs. film, Aliens vs. Predator. Freddy vs. Jason is scheduled for a release sometime late next year. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

billfremore
07-26-2002, 02:42 PM
Man that is going to be so freakin' cool.

Beast
07-26-2002, 03:30 PM
Here's the latest info that I have so far on Freddy vs. Jason:

From the July 26th 2002 issue of "Entertainment Weekly":

"After seven years in a rewrite cemetery, NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET's Freddy Krueger and FRIDAY THE 13TH's Jason Voorhees are primed to hack into theaters in summer 2003. Director Ronny Hu (BRIDE OF CHUCKY) is prepping FREDDY VS. JASON for a Sept. 9 start. New Line is in talks with Robert Englund to return for the eighth time as Krueger. Hu will also meet with Kane Hodder, who's played hockey-masked Voorhees in four FRIDAYS since 1988. The film will open with Freddy trapped in Hell, sending Jason to Elm Street to resume his chopping spree. "But Jason's not easy to deal with," says Hu. The action shifts to Camp Crystal Lake for what Hu calls a "WWF smackdown." Just don't expect a clear-cut victor." - William Keck

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

billfremore
07-26-2002, 03:54 PM
I got this off the Cinescape site:

Finally! FREDDY VS. JASON is going later this year
Sean Cunningham confirms it here

In an exclusive interview with CINESCAPE magazine’s own Anthony C. Ferrante, FRIDAY THE 13TH creator/writer/director Sean Cunningham confirmed what we horror fans have been waiting years to hear, and he’s got some choice words for JASON X director James Isaacs.

But the big news? The almost legendary FREDDY VS. JASON has a director, script… and shooting schedule.

While in the past it’s gotten the first two of those three, it was a firm production date and, well, real greenlight which has always eluded this decade-in-the-making film.

So what did Cunningham tell us?

“Right now they've hired Ronny Yu and he's a very strong visualist and he has a particular vision” Cunningham said. “I think he's going to bring a lot to the party. We're in pre-production now, and we're still working on the budget, but it looks like we'll shoot it in Vancouver later in the year.”

Really, after all these years, it’s really, really, really going to happen?

“Oh, it was always going to happen, but it was just a matter of when New Line Cinemas was going to sign off on it and I was going to sign off on it together. It's going to happen. The difficulty is that you have two pop icons who are basically bad guys and try to imagine a movie that's GOLDFINGER VS. DR. NO.”

Despite that confidence in the ultimate production, and the impression it was always going to happen, which might surprise fans who have been waiting so long, Cunningham did admit to the script difficulties which might have accounted for some of the delay.

“You've got a two legged stool. You've got to have a third leg of some kind,” Cunningham said. “That's always been the problem. People are like, 1But the fight would be really cool.’ Yeah, but the best fight in the world was maybe ROCKY, but after six or seven minutes of that you could watch it any more. What do you do with the other eighty-five minutes? You've got to have a story to tell, and that's very hard when you've got two bad guys and no good guy.”

So how will this finally fit into the entire NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET, FRIDAY THE 13TH cannon? There’s where we hit a gray area. Will it pick up after THE FINAL FRIDAY? Will it acknowledge JASON X?

“Who knows? It just takes place whenever,” Cunningham said. “It will be more basic.”

So the question finally came, would there be any more FRIDAY THE 13TH movies? In an interview with CINESCAPE a few months back, JASON X director James Isaacs said contractual issues with Paramount Pictures have shelved New Line from using the FRIDAY THE 13TH name for any future JASON movies.

“No. Jim doesn't know what the f*** he's talking about, and I want you to quote me on that,” Cunningham said. “No, it has nothing to do with that. There are lots of contractual issues, but FRIDAY THE 13th is the series. But it was a marketing issue, when you get into part 10 and everything nobody wants to see it, so you have to think of some fresh or clever way of doing it.”

2-1B
07-26-2002, 11:17 PM
What's wrong with Jason Takes Manhatten? :confused:
MUCH better than parts 1, 3, 5, and 7! :D

bigbarada
07-27-2002, 03:43 PM
I usually don't watch many horror movies, but ones I considered truly scary:

Excorcist
American Werewolf in London
Nightbreed
Hellraiser

Beast
07-27-2002, 03:53 PM
Ooo, good choice on Nightbreed, BigB. I love that film, even though the studio butchered it. Luckily there is a Special Edition coming soon that will restore all the scenes that were cut from the film. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DarthBrandon
07-27-2002, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
I usually don't watch many horror movies, but ones I considered truly scary:

Excorcist
American Werewolf in London
Nightbreed
Hellraiser

Nightbreed, I forgot about that one, that's another good horror film.

2-1B
07-28-2002, 01:54 AM
I can't recall seeing AWIL . . . I have a few trading cards form the film but I don't remember the movie. If bigB can put it up there with Exorcist (nobody wants to talk Exorcist III with me? :cry: :D ) , Hellraiser, and Nightbreed, it's worth a look. :)

Beast
07-28-2002, 01:58 AM
Excorcist III was ok. I saw it at the theater when it was out, and didn't really care all that much for it. But definatly agreed, the second one was a real stinker, Caesar. Exorcist III does have one really excellent scare. And that's the nurse and the shears scene. One scene I can't stand though, is where they are discussing fish in the bathtub, or somthing. :p

Definatly rent AWiL. Great film with an excellent cast. I just watched the DVD tonight again. Love the special effects in it. Hard to believe that it wasn't a very expensive movie at the time. The transformation scene from human to werewolf was amazing. And the "realistic" werewolf designs were great. One of Stan Winston's early movies. The combo of horror/humor work well here. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jet chan
07-28-2002, 12:33 PM
AWiL is the reason i don't really watch now, it scared the daylights out of me as a kid, and i still can't get myself to watch it today:eek:

scruffziller
07-29-2002, 04:57 AM
Night Of The Living Dead(remake of original)
Friday The 13th Pt 6: Jason Lives
Pet Semetery
Jeepers Creepers
Grim

Beast
07-29-2002, 05:06 AM
Return of the Living Dead isn't a remake of the original. They remade the original in 1990, and it's named "Night of the Living Dead". Return is sort of a quasi-sequel to the original, and was made in 1985. It suggests that the army stored all the dead is metal storage tanks. Supposedly they misplaced some of the cannisters, and they wound up in the basement of a medical supply company. One of the tanks get cracked open, and the dead start to rise. It comes out on DVD the end of August. :)

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84319

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

RooJay
07-29-2002, 03:32 PM
I know this is supposed to be a list of my top 5 scariest films, but I'm not sure I could ever pick just five; especially when I think there are so many that warrant mention. So, here goes:

Session 9 - if more horror movies were like this highly overlooked gem of a horror, the film industry would be a much cooler place. Not many people paid attention to it when it was released. I'd like to recommend it to anyone: fans of horror, as well as just fans of film in general. What this director does with mood and atmosphere should be the rule, and not the exception (almost all of the story takes place during daylight hours, and it still manages to be creepy as all get out!

The Others - ok, maybe we could all see the twist coming from a mile away, but that still didn't make this film any less chilling and thrilling! Again, mood and atmosphere really sell it, and the movie never stoops to cheap gore and monsters to frighten.

Alien - more Sci-fi than horror, but certainly terrifying on all accounts!

Pet Sematary - I really don't know what to say about this one. Maybe it was the thought of a toddler doing the killing, maybe it was Fred Gwynne's freaky cool New England accent, maybe it was the thought of something coming back from the dead like that, come to think of it, it was probably all due to Brad Greenquist's frightening portrayal of lost soul/ harbinger of doom Victor Pascow! Man, I hope that guy never comes to warn me of anything! I think the mood and atmosphere had a lot to do with it also.

American Werewolf in London - not terribly scary in my opinion, but I've never come across a movie that was creepier. I think Griffin Dunne should've been given an Oscar for his talking while decomposing Jack! Plus, it had a killer soundtrack! Ya can't knock a classic!

The Howling - I just have a thing about werewolves; they're way cool in my book! This one has been the best werewolf movie I've come across so far.

The Prophecy - no, not the Christopher Walken film (which I've never seen, by the way), but rather 1979's Armand Assante schlock flick. Yes, that one. I know, I know...watching it now, it seems really stupid, but when I was five years old it scared the living crap out of me! Especially when I went camping, which my family tends to do fairly often.

Thirteen Ghosts - cheesy, yes. Poorly acted and terribly written, yes. Still, I couldn't help but feel an overwhelming sense of fright, dread, and claustrophobia when I first saw it. For me, it was the awesome production design that did it. Cheap thrills at their best! Plus, it had freakin' cool looking ghosts! Black Zodiac...aww yeah!

Batman & Robin - to this day, one of the most horrific experiences of my life!

The Empire Strikes Back - what could be scarier to a little kid than to see his heroes beaten and ground into the dust (well, snow, anyway), the coolest movie hero this side of Indiana Jones and James Bond frozen in carbonite and possibly dead, his idol utterly defeated, the hand he used to hold the most awesome weapon ever used to fight the bad guys sheared from his arm, and just to top it all off...the ULTIMATE bad guy is the hero's FATHER!!!:eek: For three excruciatingly long years I kept telling myself that it was all just a bad dream; that there was just no way this could all be possible! The horror...the horror...

Lobito
07-29-2002, 06:17 PM
Other two movies that come to mind are The Graduate and Happy Birthday to me.:eek:

RooJay
07-29-2002, 06:51 PM
I forgot to mention Jaws!
I have very few real fears; I have always tended to break myself of any fears I've had. Like when I was younger and used to be afraid of the dark. I just closed myself up in the darkest place in the house (which, in my house happened to be a scary place even in the light!) until I was no longer afraid. So far, the only fears I have left, to my knowledge, are a fear of zombies and a fear of sharks and crocodillians. Since zombies don't exist, I doubt I'll ever have to face that fear (if I ever do...I'm more than ready! I should like to point out that I have often had VERY vivid recurring nightmares about zombies since I was a kid, and refused to watch Night of the Living Dead until I was eighteen! Come to think of it, I haven't had very many zombie dreams since then; so, in a way I've even faced down that fear!:D ), and since there aren't many sharks crawling around on land, and I don't recall ever having encountered them or any crocs or gators in my life, I have yet to have the opportunity to face those particular fears. Naturally, Jaws has always been pretty scary to me.;)

Tonysmo
08-15-2002, 01:26 PM
wow.. yet another stunning post of absoutly cool movies..
I'm a bit undecided though, as I want to think Scary, yet all of this seems aimed towards horror.

I can't begin to tell you how thankful I am that the OMEN FINALLY showed up on the 3rd page of these posts.. as that had to have been ( ok, for me anyway ) one of the scariest movies ever...

Its also nice to see RooJay name The Prophecy. It too was one very scary movie..

I have noticed one other that has yet to make these posts, unless I missed it.. Children of the corn. Just freakin scary. I can still hear voices in my head yelling MALIKI!!

ok.. a list..

#1. Omen..
#2. Excorcist #1 though.. only because I live here in St. Louis. You all may think it may or may not be a true story.. I live near the areas in which the "true story" took place.. to many in fact..
spooks me out.. still...
#3. Children of the corn.. You cant not be spooked by kids killing everyone in town...
#4. Carrie..
#5. Nightmare on Elm street.. the 1st one.
#6. Halloween.. the 1st one.. even the ending credits...
#7. Salems Lot. The kid scratching the window.. eerie..
#8. Shining.. of course..
#9. Wolfen.. I think thats the one where the wolves were all running around, and they had this night vision thing going on.. ( I worked in a building ( mid-nights ) that backed to an empty field, then woods.. walked out one night to get something from my truck and heard a howl.. I justa bout S*** my pants as I turned and hurried back inside.. ) thought I'd share that funny/spooky story with ya'll..
#10 AmityVille Horror.. the 1st one..

There are of course plenty of others I have left out, but those are truly the spooky/scariest movies in my head.. not all the gore, but the afterthoughts... the stuff that keeps you up at night..

TylerD
08-16-2002, 04:46 PM
Roo Jay, SESSION 9 WAS AWESOME! I thought I was the only one who saw that movie. I thought it was VERY well done, and enjoyed it immensly. I also enjoyed it, because of the huge old lunatic asylum. Urban exploration is one of my hobbies. BTW, the production company that put out this film has some other great horror flicks out. Rent the one where the kids go into the abandoned high school and awaken the spirit of a slave from the 1800s!!!!!

As for my list: (in no order)

Wes Craven's "The Hills Have Eyes" (not particularly scary, but still very good)
"It" - yikes
"Session 9" - see above
"The Shining" -Just the idea of the film makes me love it!
"The People Under the Stairs" -kind of scary, and amusing at the same time
"Motel Hell" -highly recommended to people who like to rent those low-budget horror flicks
"Route 666" cool movie with Lou Diamond Phillips
"Blair Witch Project" -the sequel sucked

and I can't believe no one has mentioned "Texas Chainsaw Massacre!" A totally awesome movie that scared the bejesus out of me when I first saw it.

TheFrankEinstein
08-16-2002, 10:47 PM
edit - I seemed to have skipped a page and missed Tonysmo's post about the Exorcist. Sorry 'bout that.

EXORCIST SPOILERS - - -

The Exorcist, it's said to have been based on a true story (with certain things altered, such as gender of the child, location, and the welts on the stomach were a street address in "reality", as opposed to a message. The boy also died from his frequent possessions.) And while I linger in between believing and not believing (raised Baptist), it's the scariest movie I've ever seen.

END SPOILERS - - -

My scary list would go something like this -

1. The Exorcist
2. Jacob's Ladder
3. The Haunting (original, and I don't know if it'd be scary now, but it sure was when I saw it.)
4. Jaws

aaand I can't think of another one.

NOT scary -

1. Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn
2. Dead Alive/Braindead
3. Return of the Living Dead 2 (haven't seen the first one yet, sure want to, though)
4. ...hmm I'm stumped again. Critters. Let that take spots 4 and 5.

OTHER edit - I completely forgot AWiL! Give it 4. and Aliens 5. (they should have just given Bishop a gun, he'd have cleaned them out ;) )

TylerD
08-17-2002, 01:22 AM
The FrankEinstein, do you mean the original Black and White Haunting? The one with Vincent Price? I think that movie was VERY scary...especially when they showed the caretakers wife (when they thought she was a witch).

TheFrankEinstein
08-17-2002, 01:05 PM
Yes sir, I do mean the original black and white, but I don't think it had Vincent Price (whereas House on Haunted Hill did), so I think you may be getting the two mixed up (an honest mistake if there ever was one). But the shocker scene when the wife pops out is from The Haunting, and I agree, it nearly killed me!

Speaking of Vincent Price, The Last Man on Earth. Not very scary, but very bleak, apocalyptic. It's based on the book I Am Legend (I can't recall the author at the moment), and was later remade as a campy, not very bleak Omega Man with Charlton Heston.

Patient Zero
08-22-2002, 01:09 AM
I just got to see H.P. Lovecraft's Dagon over the weekend and I have to say that I was surprised. I was expecting a real strait to video bomb, but it was pretty good. Not among the best, but worth renting if you have any interest in H.P. Lovecraft stories.

TylerD
08-22-2002, 01:46 AM
Thanks for the clarification Einstein! I WAS thinking about the House on Haunted Hill...have you seen the new versions of both movies (both released in the same year I believe)? They can't even compare to the classics!!!

Beast
08-22-2002, 02:00 AM
I was reading about Dagon on Horrordvds.com a while back. From what I understand it's the most faithful film representation of a H.P. Lovecraft story. Hopefully it's good. I know Re-Animator and From Beyond arn't the most faithful, but they are pretty good flics. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Patient Zero
08-22-2002, 02:22 AM
I was reading about Dagon on Horrordvds.com a while back. From what I understand it's the most faithful film representation of a H.P. Lovecraft story. Hopefully it's good. I know Re-Animator and From Beyond arn't the most faithful, but they are pretty good flics. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Ya, I have read quite a few of his short stories years ago and it seems pretty true to the soul of his writings.

Incidentally, I believe that it was Brain Yanzza (or something) that did Re-Animator and From Beyond, he also did Faust, which was based on a comic by Tim Vigil and David Quinn. A brilliantly twisted comic, but the movie failed miserably. It was the kind of comic that they produced once every nine months. A pain till the end.:happy:

plasticfetish
08-22-2002, 05:01 AM
When I was a little kid our baby-sitter rented "It's Alive!" My sister and I made it through close to 15 minutes before we broke down and begged her to pull the tape out of the top-loader. Anyway ... all sentimental favorites ...

1) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (The saw truly IS family.)
2) Dawn of the Dead (I like zombies.)
3) John Carpenter's The Thing (Claustrophobic.)
4) The Shining (Such a good looking movie.)
5) Return of the Living Dead (again ... I like zombies. Thanks for the info on this DVD JarJarBinks ... hmmm, another one to buy.)

There have been so many ... I love them all.
Except one ... to all of our German friends I will ask this ... what is the deal with "Nekromantik"? Seriously ... what? Why? HOW?
(Holds Leatherface doll for comfort, rocking back and forth.)

RooJay
08-23-2002, 09:29 PM
"Nekromantik"?!:confused:
How 'bout a clue for us american friends who have none?

...and how could I have forgotten The Thing? That one has always scared the bejeebus out of me! Great movie!

I recently remembered what has always been, for me, the absolute scariest movie I have ever seen: The Day After! Those of you who might remember this made for TV movie from the eighties will know what I'm talking about! I begged my mom to let us watch "Kennedy" on another channel instead when it came on (I knew what it was going to be about, and really didn't want the nightmares I knew it would bring), but she insisted that we watch Day After anyway. For at least a couple of years after that one, my heart would skip a few beats any time I heard a plane fly overhead! I'd start praying that that sound wasn't a nuclear missle flying, and that, if it was, that I'd be vaporized in the blast! Man, would surviving a nuclear war suck!

Patient Zero
08-23-2002, 09:48 PM
C.H.U.D.

Sorry, I just had to yell that. Someone should start a worst horror movie ever thread. I'm to lazy to do it and Farscape is coming on in a few minutes.I just have one last thing to say:

Cellar Dweller!:dead:

RooJay
08-23-2002, 09:56 PM
I never saw C.H.U.D., but I did catch one scene while someone else was watching it (there were a couple of people trying to make their way through the sewer, and there were body parts laying all about. One of the characters picked up a video camera being grasped by a dismembered arm, and another had to pull the headset off of a severed head! YUCK!). I an't say how scary, or good it was, but it seemed pretty horrifying just based on that one scene! Did the cannibals really have to be such messy eaters?!

plasticfetish
08-24-2002, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by RooJay
"Nekromantik"?!:confused:
How 'bout a clue for us american friends who have none?

<hah>

Ick ... I don't even want to think about it. You can do a search on IMDB (http://www.imdb.com) if you DARE. (Nasty '80s german necrophiliac mess ... ick.)

On a strangely lighter note ... I bought the "Lifeforce" DVD tonight (Thanks JarJarBinks!) Ahh ... Tobe Hooper is the best.

AdmiralPiett
08-24-2002, 06:01 AM
The scariest movie I've ever seen is Rosemary's Baby. Those old people seemed so harmless...
The second scariest movie I've seen is called Wait Until Dark. Audrey Hepburn plays a blind woman who doesn't know she is in possession of a doll filled with narcotics that a gang of criminals is after. Eventually she is trapped in her house, the phone lines have been cut, and she has to use her blindness to her advantage to escape. It's really well done. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys suspense.\
Number 3 is from 1945 called The Picture of Dorian Gray. It's about a man who sells his soul to the devil for the chance to stay young. He stays young forever, but a portrait of himself that he has in the attic changes reflecting his soul degenerating into evil. The movie is all in black and white except for the portrait in the attic. Truly a ghastly experience.
Piett

RooJay
08-26-2002, 01:26 PM
Here's two more that I had completely fogotten about (and oddly enough...both made for television!):

Trilogy of Terror (1975) - The first two thirds are hardly even entertaining, much less scary. The final story in th trilogy, however, is really freakin' frightening; at least for anyone my age who remembers staying up late to watch as the Zuni Fetish Doll terrorizes the living crap out of the story's heroine! I had nightmares for years after! That little monster was the one that I jumped from the door to the bed when coming back from a middle of the night restroom break to avoid!

&

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (1973) - A couple moves into this scary old house where the wife eventually starts hearing the whisering voices of tiny demons living in the walls after having opened a locked room that she was warned to keep locked! I was always able to close my eyes to keep from seeing monsters at night as a kid...closing my ears to keep from possibly hearing these little guys whispering was another story!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-23-2002, 11:25 PM
I'm not into slasher, bloody gory horror flicks--just the ones that are terrorize you without the blood and guts. So that means I am not a big fan of any of the Friday the 13th movies or Nightmare on Elm Street. Anyway, here are my top five.

5) Scream (there are probably a bazillion movies scarier than this, that I did not get to see)
4) The Exorcist (didn't see it until this year)
3) Mommy Dearest (really scary!)
2) Children of the Corn (saw this when I was really young and it freaked me out)
1) The Omen: (one word, Daaaaaaaaaaaaaamien!)

Jayspawn
09-24-2002, 12:13 AM
I'm a huge fan of Halloween, The Blair Witch Project, The Shining, Hellraiser, and... oh I can't think of a 5th. But these movies were pretty scarey. Especially the Halloween movies.

Master Goeweins
09-24-2002, 01:49 AM
5. Serpent and the Rainbow (the zombie bride..EEK!)
4. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original freaked me out)
3. Halloween (again, the original still creeps me out)
2. The Thing (Good scary)
1. American Werewolf in London (as a kid, I didn't catch on to the humor aspect. The fact that his dead friend kept on coming back just scared me. I was so terrified after the living room transformation that it gave me nightmares. I rarely get em', but this did it for me!)

After seeing C.H.U.D. I couldn't walk past manhole coverings without geting a little worried.....

SithDroid
10-01-2002, 04:58 PM
1. The Shining
2. Signs (aliens scare me ok)
3. Nightmare on Elm Street Series
4. Dawn of the Dead
5. Evil Dead 2

The Overlord Returns
10-01-2002, 05:28 PM
scariest movie I've ever seen....easy....

Titanic.......ugghhhhh......

AT-AT Man
10-03-2002, 05:03 PM
Ok this is my favorite catagory of movies. From my list you'll see that i'v picked more of the upbeat horror movies, the reason being, not cause i haven't seen the old ones, it's strickly that i hate with a passion, the old movies, they are not scary, but maybe because i don't find horror movies scary. And now that i get into talking about movies i hate, i hate all the devil movies, ie. The Exorcist, the omen, and all those craptastic movies out there, i really didn't see what people found scary about the Shinnig.
"Here's Johnny" man hat movie blows. Again i bring up the point that maybe i don't like all of those movies, cause i'm more of a blood and guts man, which is why my list is like it is.

5. The Candyman 3: Day of the Dead
4. The Texas Chainsaw Masacre
3. A nightmare on Elm Street
2. Scream

And my fav horror movie of all time is:

Halloween, yeah you guesed it, Michael Myers is the all time bad *** bad guy. I love him and his white mask, and will keep paying money to ee them bring him back every ime. gotta love a man who never dies.

The Overlord Returns
10-03-2002, 05:07 PM
I didn't really see what people saw in "The shinnig" either...

The SHINING on the other hand was a great horror flic.

plasticfetish
10-03-2002, 05:17 PM
Return of the Living Dead ... is sort of a quasi-sequel to the original, and was made in 1985. It suggests that the army stored all the dead is metal storage tanks. Supposedly they misplaced some of the cannisters, and they wound up in the basement of a medical supply company. One of the tanks get cracked open, and the dead start to rise. It comes out on DVD the end of August. :)

... and again, thanks to Emperor Binks for my latest DVD purchase!
Ahhh ... zombies eating punkers ... what could be better?
How about getting it for $9.99 at Tower?
Phantasm is NEXT!

Beast
10-03-2002, 05:27 PM
Glad you liked it, it's an excellent flic. The price is pretty nice as well, especially with the extra features. I'm hoping it sells well enough that they can realease Dan O' Bannon's director's cut on DVD in a year or so. I know they said that this version has to sell well enough for them to consider dropping the bucks on restoring the footage and such. It was in the Top 20 at Amazon.com, so there is a really good chance. "Send...more...paramedics." :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

plasticfetish
10-03-2002, 05:41 PM
Yeah, it is a great zombie film. I've loved it for years ... I think I even got my VHS copy at Tower on clearance a few years back. It's such a huge treat having it on DVD ... I would love to see a director's cut. Does "restored" mean more cut scenes added back in?

... and (changing my thought) I just saw this ...

Originally posted by AT-AT Man
i really didn't see what people found scary about the Shinnig.

You didn't think the scene in the hallway with the little dead girls was scary? Just thinking about that gives me the creeps.

Beast
10-03-2002, 05:58 PM
Yeah, the end of Dan O' Bannon's original version is very different then what the studio forced on him. There are a few other changes as well, let me throw them up here. :)

A workprint version is about 20 minutes longer than the theatrical release. Additional material includes:

An extended scene that takes place after frank shows Freddy the split dogs, but before he shows him the cadaver in the freezer. Frank shows Freddy a tank of oxygen and tells him how explosive it is.

A deleted scene after Frank shows Freddy the cadaver. Freddy asks how late are they working. When Frank tells Freddy, Freddy says he has a date with Tina. Frank says it's a good thing it's a girl because he was nervous about the earring Freddy had. Frank also tells Freddy that he has to close the cadaver room tight because it pops open.

An extended scene where the punks are walking down the street. After Casey says they should all go pick Freddy up, Tina says that it's only him and her alone going out, meaning that Tina never really wanted to hang out with them that night. This scene also has some more profanity and it also introduces the character Suicide as Trash tells the punks that he has a car.

A deleted scene as Freddy is looking at the medical book, Frank looks outside an says "It smells like rain!"

An alternate, and longer take of Frank telling Freddy about the events in the 1960's with The Night Of The Living Dead. This scene version of the scene also has some extra dialogue where Freddy says that Night Of The Living Dead was on of the best movies ever. He also says it's impossible that it's true cause he would have heard about it.

An extended scene where the punks are deciding what to do. As Chuck suggests that they hang in the cemetery, Suicide says, "lets pay our f***ing respects!"

A deleted scene that shows Scuz, Spider, and Casey looking into a mausoleum and seeing all sorts of debris littered inside by other people who had previously partied there. Spider replies, "I don't ever want to be buried in a place like this!" then Scuz pinches Casey as she calls him a dork.

Extended scene from when the punks are all screaming about the zombie in the basement. As Tina suggests they call the cops, Scuz replies, "no because they'll kick out a**!" Casey and Chuck then tell the others where they saw Freddy. Tina gets mad for them not telling her.

The ending is also differnt, showing the military loading canisters filled with corpses and contaminated earth into freight cars. So they are just covering it up again, which leads into Return of the Living Dead II. :)

Here's a good link for more info about the stuff that was cut. I thought I had another link with more info, but I can't seem to find it. :)

http://members.tripod.com/uneedamed/versions.htm

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

SQueek
10-13-2002, 09:53 AM
speaking of zombie movies, my fav has to be dawn of the dead, where ithier in the shopping mall. filmed in monroeville mall which isnt to far from me. It also stars, also did the makeup, tom savini who lives about 2 blocks from me

2-1B
06-06-2004, 02:50 AM
Hey Binks, we never did get that O'Bannon director's cut, eh ? Too bad. :(

B'Omarr Monkey
06-06-2004, 11:47 PM
Caesar, a deluxe bells and whistles ROTLD dvd is supposed to be out sometime this year. It's the only reason I haven't picked up the $10 version available. I don't know what's on it. But I can't wait.

Now to post my 5...

I love horror movies, though have yet to see one that actually scared me. Most of my favorites were made before 1968, but since everyone here seems to be interested only in movies after that time, I'll pick five made more recently. These are not neccessarily my top 5, but 5 that I really like that I recommend.

1. Deep Rising -- sure Van Helsing sucked, but this movie was great for knowing it was a dumb monster movie and really running with that.

2. Dead Ringers -- Not necessrily a horror movie, but pretty disturbing. I saw it with a friend of mine in college, and we walked home afterwards without saying a word to each other.

3. The Devil's Backbone -- The coolest looking ghost ever.

4. Alice -- by Jan Svanmajer. It's an adaptation of Alice and Wonderland, and is perhaps the creepiest looking movies ever made, and one of my favorite movies ever made.

5. The Blob -- The 80s remake wriiten by Frank Darabont, is a really fun and pretty gross movie that moves along at a brisk clip.

Hellboy
06-10-2004, 07:12 PM
Nice thread and a good read. Not sure how I missed it the first time around but I can't leave without giving my top 5.

In no particular order...

-Halloween
-Suspiria
-Dead Trilogy: Night, Dawn and Day--sorry couldn't pick just 1
-28 days later
-Texas Chainsaw Massacre--1974 original

Sidiously Darth
06-13-2004, 02:33 PM
Well, I've done a little pondering on this subject and I think I'm ready to reveal my answers:

1. Evil Dead Trilogy - They may be comedy horror but Sam Raimi did a heck of a job with little to no money.

2. From Dusk Till Dawn - While not a great movie, it did have a nasty plot twist.

3. From Hell - A very graphic depiction of pure evil.

4. Sleepy Hollow - A very stylized horror pic. Depp racks up 2 on my list.

5. The Fog - A classic Adrienne Barboobs flick. Much better than Swamp Thing.

DarthBrandon
06-13-2004, 03:13 PM
Well, I've done a little pondering on this subject and I think I'm ready to reveal my answers:

1. Evil Dead Trilogy - They may be comedy horror but Sam Raimi did a heck of a job with little to no money.

2. From Dusk Till Dawn - While not a great movie, it did have a nasty plot twist.

3. From Hell - A very graphic depiction of pure evil.

4. Sleepy Hollow - A very stylized horror pic. Depp racks up 2 on my list.

5. The Fog - A classic Adrienne Barboobs flick. Much better than Swamp Thing.

Ah yes, the Fog, another classic horror movie. I like this very much, it scared the be-jesus out of me as a kid. :eek:

Nice thread and a good read. Not sure how I missed it the first time around but I can't leave without giving my top 5.

In no particular order...

-Halloween
-Suspiria
-Dead Trilogy: Night, Dawn and Day--sorry couldn't pick just 1
-28 days later
-Texas Chainsaw Massacre--1974 original

Texas is a true classic Hellboy, I don't think I've seen Suspiria though, I might have to check that out when I get a chance.

Hellboy
06-13-2004, 04:01 PM
If you do get the chance to watch Suspiria Brandon post your thoughts, I'd be interested in what you thought. The movie isn't for everyone but to me the whole thing just felt like a nightmare and I loved it. :cool:

DarthBrandon
06-13-2004, 04:43 PM
If you do get the chance to watch Suspiria Brandon post your thoughts, I'd be interested in what you thought. The movie isn't for everyone but to me the whole thing just felt like a nightmare and I loved it. :cool:

Will do Hellboy, it won't be for a while with all the work going on at the house, but when I find the time to watch it, you can count on it that I'll post a review of the film here.