PDA

View Full Version : Destined for Disaster or Proven for Progress?

Nebulaz
07-23-2002, 06:16 AM
The Saga line? What are your thoughts on the selection of characters, the detail, the articulation, set ups and so forth. How would rate the entire collection, and then up against the other collections how does it rank? Is it destined for doom or is it an entity of excellence...you decide.

Jeremy

OriginalBryGuy
07-23-2002, 10:23 AM
If April 23rd, 2002 was any indication, I'd say this line is going to enjoy a long life. The only thing that could really modify it is one last card color change when Episode III comes out. At that point they'd continue with that one, and then it might be over. But we're a long way from that.

Lord Tenebrous
07-23-2002, 11:16 AM
May 3, 1999 gave off the same positive vibe, but we know what happened overall.

Personally, I think Target has the best chance of maintaining the line. They managed to completely eliminate POTJ, and have a fairly conservative display.

Walmart and TRU are overburdened by both Saga and POTJ, and I know that Star Wars is not one of Kmart's priorities. But this is all subject to change, depending on sales statistics for this year. It could very well go stagnant again, we'll have to wait and see.

Lobito
07-23-2002, 09:24 PM
This line is not destined for Disaster...but its got to work real hard in quality control to prove the progress. The selection of characters is great...(they gave us Dex!!) So i would only keep an eye in the quality of the figures (plastic).

Lt Kettch
07-24-2002, 07:49 AM
i think it will be successful if they can get their act together on quality of the line (terrible accessories etc)

woot 75 posts!

Herby
07-24-2002, 07:55 AM
I think that the line is great (although POTJ was slightly better, just because it meant I got Shmi, who I'd wanted since EPI came out). I agree the biggest problem Hasbro could have would be if they mess up the physical quality of the figures (in other words, no floppy battle droids and weapons). Other than that, the character selection and sculpting has been excellent.

Master Goeweins
07-24-2002, 10:29 AM
The figures easily surpass the initial offerings from Episode 1. While I loved them when they came out, I can look at them now and say that the ATOC figures are GREAT! All the Saga figures are looking good. Djas Puhr is great too, so they are doing good for all the movies. I think the line will be a success because I am willing to buy every figure this time. They all look good.

brentfett
07-24-2002, 10:39 AM
I think the line will survive. They seem to be producing a healthy variety of characters form all 5 movies. Despite some quality issues, most of the figures really have been top notch. And some of the pack-ins have been classic as well!

aceguide
07-24-2002, 03:05 PM
I really like the Saga line. It is a VERY tough call between it and POTJ for best overall quality, character selection, detail and accuracy.

In the long haul it will be a success. I do have to say that there are several MAJOR problems as well. Flimsy weapons being number one. What's the deal???

Also, the poor battle droid just kills me. The EPI was such a good fig - and the EPII version is a hunk of junk. Gumby has more spine!!!

All-in-all the figures we are getting continue to get better and better. Looking forward to the next new wave!

pthfnder89
07-24-2002, 03:10 PM
The Saga figures have literally been improving with every single wave. They've done a good job with the character selection and let's face it: we have NEVER seen figure with better accessories. Plus they are $4.76!!! Almost half the price of a POTJ figure; how are we losing?:)

I think the Saga line will be going just fine for a long time.

thespar
07-24-2002, 03:20 PM
in the long run the saga line will problemly be the best unless they make a new line. which migth not hoep until the next movie.

CLAW
07-24-2002, 09:35 PM
I think this is a good and steady line. The quality and price point are great. I do think they thy should stay focused on AOTC characters solely, but I know I am in the minority on that. I think getting a new luke skywalker is less important than getting wat tambor, nute gunray, or other separatists.But thats just me.

Its a great line, love the price!

bigbarada
07-24-2002, 11:25 PM
For me, collecting this line has been something of a roller-coaster. With my general attitude ranging from extreme happiness (Chewie, Nexu, Palpatine) to absolute rage (Padme, Mace). I was really disgusted and dissatisfied when the initial 4/23 figures came out, but with the newest waves I find myself either pleasantly surprised or completely happy with the toys, and only rarely annoyed or angry.

Overall, I would say that, after a somewhat bumpy start, the Saga line is turning into one cool line of toys.

Thumb Wars
07-24-2002, 11:27 PM
too me it seems too early to tell yet. but with the inclusion of other characters from the other movies, i think this line will continue until episode 3. there is no force files, or freeze frames that would get lame and become unpopular with the collectors. all it is, is the figures and the card. that's it.

Nebulaz
07-25-2002, 04:12 AM
Well i'm glad we all agree. I think that the saga line will have a long journey ahead of its lifespan. And hopefully we'll be in for a few surprises. Kicr MullacCm character.

Geonosian
07-25-2002, 05:25 AM
The SAGA line in doing great down under. Most of the pegs are empty but Shhak Ti is a major peg warner here.
There are a few figure the SAGA line has to have like Poggle and Wat Tomber...apart from that the line looks great.

Mandalorian Candidat
07-25-2002, 04:13 PM
So far this line totally outshines POTJ (with a few exceptions) which in my book is a big plus since POTJ blew chunks for the most part. I like the gimmicks and the large number of accessories. The lower price doesn't hurt as well. If Hasbro keeps doing what they've been doing since April (minus the crummy ones like Qui-Gon and Taun We) then this line could last until EP3.

AmanaMatt
07-25-2002, 11:05 PM
My overall opinion is not completely dissimilar to BigBarada. That being said, it is always my opinion that the further we move away from a new movie, the more attention that is paid toward what the collectors like: more articulation and detail, less action features.

I understand that Hasbro has to make money, and that the first couple of Saga waves were directed toward the kiddies. Personally, I felt that most of the first two waves released on 04/23 were not good; especially bad in my opinion were: Padme, Anakin 1, C-3p0 (new one is an apology, though); On a more positive note, Anakin 2 is quite good, as is: the royal guard, djahs pur (sp?), and Dexter. These are all later releases. As we contuinue to move beyond Ep II into the latter part of the year, we will probably get some great stuff. Epahnt Mon will rock, and will be among the coolest figs ever made.

I feel that in the coming year(s), prior to Ep III's release, the Saga line will give the POTj a run for it money in overall qulality and variety.

Ps...
Some posters feel that the Tuskin/Massif thing is a sign of bad things coming for the Saga line, but POtj had a couple of stinkers, including: K-3p0 and General Leia (wow, she sucked). So, I feel this is an exception to the rule of cool stuff to expect in the line.

bigbarada
07-25-2002, 11:43 PM
Point taken about General Leia, Amanamatt. You'll never hear another bad comment about the Tusken w/ Massif from me again.:)

AmanaMatt
07-26-2002, 01:20 AM
Believe it or not, my biggest personal complaint has really to do with the bubbles. I love the bigger (and more elaborate) accessories that the Saga line has, thus the reason for the bigger bubble, but, without the offset bubble (like the previous lines), these things are killing my box space.

(I stock my figs in a bad and board that a comic uses, and then box them, standing up, in a comic box) Previously, I could put 15 -22 figures in a single box, but with these huge bubbles, I don't know what to do!

Oh, well. Hell, on a side note, Ephant Mon better be huge. I still have yet to see him in a good pic next to another figure. He better be tall (but, that's another story!):D

Darth Vellner
07-27-2002, 05:22 PM
HOLY CR@P!!!!People.....you complain when a store does not have a lot of figures, you complain when a store has too many figures , when you find the figures you want you complain about the paint job (we all see the paint job's on the figures ..so your not telling us something we don't know) or the bent package or the high price you HAD to pay(don't buy from scalpers) to get them
MAN O MAN what a fun hobby
When I look back (started collecting in late 96-97) I have got almost all the figures I wanted(not always when I wanted them)...over 300 carded and maybe 400 loose figures (not including Vintage collection)......and with all the sales and price breakes over all I did not pay too much for any!
If a store sucks dont go to it, If its the only store around,I'm sorry. ......but dont tell us about it, We all have stores that suck near us also. I have gone to 6 or 8 store a day for a week and found nothing!! .....Why tell you?? ("things are tough all over" at times)You will find it!! You found that other stuff right??..........I'm not mad at anyone this is just a reminder we all strike out sometimes but letting us know just makes it seem glum all over. Just tell us "The good news!!"...... AMEN.