PDA

View Full Version : Dissapointed with Republic Gunship

Scackmgack
07-23-2002, 11:10 AM
I am really hoping someone has new information on the Gunship because I am not pleased with the pictures and scans I am seeing so far.

Why?

Where are the Death Ray turrets???

The Death Ray gunner stations are THE coolest aspect of the Republic Gunship, and they are conspicuously missing from the toy.

Pardon me if this issue has already been discussed, but I could not find a thread which did.

Is Hasbro going to be releasing, say, a Deluxe Clone Trooper packaged with a Death Ray gunner station which we can attach to the Gunship, thus making it complete?

I certainly hope so, else I am going to have to spend the outrageous $90 for the Lego Gunship just so I can have at least one large-scale model of the Gunship which is accurate...

Vortex
07-23-2002, 11:16 AM
I'll let Jar Jar chime in on this, but I think your death ray gun pods will come with the clone pilots later this year. Check out the database for the clone pilots.

Its an add on.

But I'm sure some one around here can give you plenty of info...

Don't freak out just yet.

Also the new delux clone trooper will come with that speeder bike you see on the back.

Lord Tenebrous
07-23-2002, 01:39 PM
http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=ww02/ww02-gunship_12.jpg

Vortex
07-23-2002, 01:55 PM
wow, not what I thought they would look like...

OriginalBryGuy
07-23-2002, 02:42 PM
Don't believe everything you "first" see...I think the gunship is going to be awesome!

Darth Evil
07-23-2002, 02:57 PM
I hope you're right, I intend to get it, if I can find it.

Jonna
07-23-2002, 03:09 PM
I am normally not a big ship buyer, but I think that I might just have to get this one.

pthfnder89
07-23-2002, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by tjovonovich
wow, not what I thought they would look like...

I think they did a pretty good job. I know a lot of people are going to complain that the bubbles aren't accurate and the clonetrooper should be able to sit in them, but they have to understand:

The Gunship is not to scale; if it were it would be roughly 3 ft. long with a 7 ft. wingspan. As it is, the wings are over 2 ft long! That's pretty darn big.

If they made the bubbles on the side turrets to scale, so you could put the gunner inside, it would just look wierd because they would be too big compared to the rest of the ship.

I've made no secret of the fact that I'm looking forward to this ship more than anything else so far, so I can't WAIT! It looks like Hasbros done a great job so far. I hope the finished product turns out well.:)

LTBasker
07-23-2002, 03:50 PM
My only complaint on the bubbles isn't that they're out of scale, but that they're not clear and extended outwards on their rods. I don't care if they can't fit the Clone troopers in them, but I just was hoping they would hang out like they do in the movie. Oh well, they're just pack-ins for the Pilot Clone, so...

JEDIpartner
07-23-2002, 04:03 PM
I'm not overly concerned about the "bubbles"... chances are, Hasblah will change the final design on these anyhow. I think the ship has some really nice features. It's almost as if they are letting you customise the ship to a certain extent. I like that.

DARTH DUBIOUS
07-23-2002, 04:12 PM
I think the fact they put in working troop bay doors, working rear drophatch, drop away troop platform with pegs for a few troopers, rotating guns and firing missiles, grappling hooks, a carry handle, working cockpit canopy and space for both pilots, rotating bubbles in the wings, alledged retractable landing gear and a decent paint application, is enough to satisfy most people. It is after all a toy. If you want accuracy wait for the Ertl type models to come out. I think it's cool that the pod that'll come with the clone pilot will be usable as a seperate stand alone weapon as well as clipping onto the side of the gunship. Creativity.

You can put me down for two of these babies. :)

OriginalBryGuy
07-23-2002, 04:21 PM
My only complaint on the bubbles isn't that they're out of scale, but that they're not clear and extended outwards on their rods. I don't care if they can't fit the Clone troopers in them, but I just was hoping they would hang out like they do in the movie.

That's a great point. I was wondering how they'd do that. I'm sure people will come up with great customs that look more like the movie. I mean, how hard would it be to put a figure in a clear plastic bubble?

187-Maul
07-23-2002, 05:56 PM
I really like the gunship and would probabaly buy it - if I would live in the US
here in france it'll be (if it's even released) about twice the price you guy have to pay for it and that's too damn much

bigbarada
07-23-2002, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by OriginalBryGuy

That's a great point. I was wondering how they'd do that. I'm sure people will come up with great customs that look more like the movie. I mean, how hard would it be to put a figure in a clear plastic bubble?

Because 1.) if the clear plastic bubble was big enough to hold a figure it would be way too big for a pack-in; and 2.) if the clear plastic bubbles were actually to scale with the figures they would be grossly out of scale when placed on the Gunship itself.

Something had to give when they scaled down such a big vehicle and as it stands right now, this vehicle is going to have so many cool features that the gunner bubbles really won't matter in the long run.

I haven't bought any Ep2 vehicles yet, but I am already making plans for when I can pick up this Gunship. This is going to be one of the coolest vehicles in the line! I even went so far as to pick up a couple extra preview-Clonetroopers for my little squad.:)

Chiesa
07-24-2002, 01:13 AM
The gunship is defintely one that I'm looking out for!! :) Lets all just cross our fingers that it will be great!!

pthfnder89
07-24-2002, 03:24 PM
This isn't a complaint, just an observation but I've been thinking about the Clone Pilots and I though of a big downside:

If you really want to be accurate, you will need two troopers for piloting, and then you will also need two troopers for the side guns, because it's likely that the Red Troopers won't fit in the specially designed seats. So that's 4 Pilot Clones you need to buy for each Gunship :( I'm gonna be pooooor.... ;)

fourtwo
07-24-2002, 03:35 PM
being dissapointed with something thats not even out to judge yet. thats a new one, even for the people on this board.

JEDIpartner
07-24-2002, 03:35 PM
...If Gary Coleman can find the money to buy food and stay chubby, I'm sure you'll be able to find the money for the multiple Clonies... ;)

Beast
07-24-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
...If Gary Coleman can find the money to buy food and stay chubby, I'm sure you'll be able to find the money for the multiple Clonies... ;)
Wha'choo talkin 'bout JEDIpartnr? :crazed: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

thespar
07-24-2002, 03:55 PM
this will be on my list of things to wait to go on cleance but that is how i am with all vechicels.

Scackmgack
07-24-2002, 04:58 PM
First of all, thank you for providing the link, Lord Tenebrous.

I have to say that I am still dissapointed with the Gunship. Not that my dissapointment is going to prevent me from purchasing one, mind you, but I think those side-gunner stations are weak !

The observation that "sit-in," clear death ray stations would be out-of-scale is obviously true - but then again, the entire ship is out-of-scale! Why, then, do such a half-arsed job in constructing these death ray turrets?

In the latest issue of the Insider, there are some head-on pictures of the Gunships, and those death ray pods are pretty large. I think, were Hasbro to produce death ray pods with Clone Troopers specifically molded to fit into said pods (I would take the loss of articulation for correctness of design), they could produce better death ray stations design-wise that would still be acceptable scale-wise.

But that's just me. I think the gunners look foolish sitting behind the death ray stations - it's just totally wrong.

Also, I got my first really good look at the "clone trooper speeder bike" that fits in the back of the Gunship - hello? That's the EXACT same thing as a "regular" Imperial speeder bike.

Does anyone know anything different?

Beast
07-24-2002, 05:14 PM
Yes, but if you make the bubble turrets to scale and have a dedicated figure inside, it would make the out of scale ship seem even more out of scale. This is the best option that Hasbro could have went with. And if you made the turret bubbles to scale with the ship, it would look like you had Mini-Me CloneTroopers manning the guns. :)

The Speeder Bikes were cut from the movie, but they were the same vehicles as the ROTJ Speeder Bikes. Apperantly you can see them in the backgrounds of some of the battle scenes, but they are never featured in the movie. I don't see a big problem with them reusing the Imperial Speeder Bike. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
07-24-2002, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Yes, but if you make the bubble turrets to scale and have a dedicated figure inside, it would make the out of scale ship seem even more out of scale. This is the best option that Hasbro could have went with. And if you made the turret bubbles to scale with the ship, it would look like you had Mini-Me CloneTroopers manning the guns. :)

I, too, am not terribly excited about how they appear to be handling the bubbles. Aside from the open doors, the turrets are the best thing that ship has going for it...and they're going to f it up.

They could have dealt with it like the way they did with the Gungan in the Fambaa "seat." It's not a true action figure at all, just the torso and up. Same with the Cruisemissle Trooper. They could have compromised a wee bit on the size of the torso/head and attached a more true to life (true to CG :rolleyes: ) turret. The turret pictured above is just about as bad as the vintage "Star Destroyer" that they pushed on us. I mean, it doesn't take a genius to figure out how to do this stuff. Who do they have in R&D over there anyway?

Beast
07-24-2002, 05:37 PM
Stillakid, the bubbles were a late addition to the Republic Gunships in Attack of the Clones. Originally the ships didn't have the side turrets. Hasbro already had the ship under production when they were making the movie. Then Lucas added the bubble turrets, and then Hasbro had to figure out some way of doing them.

I prefer the option they chose, rather then the Mini-Me CloneTroopers that you would rather have. Sacrifices have to be made to make the ship compatable with the figures. It would have been to expensive to produce the ship in perfect 1:1 scale with the action figures. If you want perfect movie accuracy, hope for a minature or model or that they make one for the Micromachine/Action Fleet line. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
07-24-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Sacrifices have to be made to make the ship compatable with the figures. It would have been to expensive to produce the ship in perfect 1:1 scale with the action figures. If you want perfect movie accuracy, hope for a minature or model or that they make one for the Micromachine/Action Fleet line. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Geesh, it only took 'em 24 years to get an X-Wing that fit a real life R2 Unit. Why their sudden interest in be able to stuff an action figure into every crevice available? Besides, like I said, there's precedent for creating "built in" figures. Especially with the late addition, creating a movie accurate turret would have been easier than concocting that silly jockey-saddle out of nothing. And undoubtedly, it could have been a full sized head and torso with the lower half of the Trooper left to the imagination. Then, as it was a late addition, it could have been a nice pack-in with a fully functioning Clone Trooper, perhaps even one with Removable Helmet in case an army builder didn't need any more standard issue troopers. See, lot's of options here beside creating silly work-arounds.

I've seriously got to figure out how to create custom molds, pour plastic, etc. Who wouldn't buy a movie accurate (to scale with the toy) turret off Ebay for a reasonable price?

Jedi Drew
07-24-2002, 07:01 PM
I won't make a judgement on this sucker untill I get it in my hands. You CAN'T base your pros or cons about this ship on some pictures.......things change :eek: :eek: :eek:

DarthMaulSithLord
07-24-2002, 07:57 PM
I think the Gunship rules, but i won't buy it if i can't get decent bubble-turrets. I am 100% sure Hasbro can make them look exactly like in AOTC and without making them look bad. All they have to do is make a pivoting arm and a bubble. The figure in it could be a normal figure, but sitting inside with bend legs, knees and arms. The fig could be glued in but able to turn. Add a button on the underside to fire the cannons and you've got yourself a winner. They could make the pivoting arm removable so you can put the gun on a stand instead.

So there ya go, a movie accurate bubble-turret and everyone is happy. If they do this, i'll gladly shell out $100 to get two of the Gunships. It's about time Hasbro did something for me. I've bought over $1,000 worth of Star Wars this year alone.

:D

bigbarada
07-24-2002, 11:05 PM
I don't know, of course the Gunship could have been done better but I refuse to get mad about this. For the price they are offering it isn't that bad. No need to get all uptight and start spouting off nonsense about making your own toys. Geez, get a grip!:rolleyes:

Cosidering all the possibilities for the Gunship listed here, I still believe that the method Hasbro chose is the best one. The idea of a Clonetrooper head sticking out of a bubble that is too small for the rest of his body is ridiculous. So is expecting Hasbro to create a perfect-scale Gunship for $100. That would shut out most of their customers, including me. I'm going to have a hard enough time shelling out $40 for this thing, what with college tuition going up and Pell Grants not keeping pace with inflation.

Scackmgack
07-25-2002, 09:53 AM
If the Clones used the same speeder bikes as the Imperial Scout Troopers, then I have no problem with the Deluxe Clone Speeder Bike Trooper whatever-they-want-to-call-it. As long as it isn't simple recycling, I have no issues.

Question: do you think Hasbro's desire to have the death ray turrets fire a projectile determined their overall design? I would gladly give up a cheesy yellow missile for better design.

DarthMaulSithLord
07-25-2002, 11:15 AM
Same here! Away with the missile firing crappo guns and give us the bubble turrets! These can be pulled off with permanently afixed figures without looking underscaled. If you don't believe me, get out a CommTech Stormie and bend his knees and measure the room you need. You don't need a really big bubble to fit a figure in.

:)

aceguide
07-25-2002, 11:37 AM
There's a lot of griping here for something no one has had a chance to play with. I think it looks great. Vehicles have RARELY been to scale - dare I mention any of the Falcons produced to date...

IF they had made this thing to scale it would have made the $115 for the Imperial shuttle look cheap!

Maybe there's a market for making scale 3 3/4 vehicles - but few could afford to have them all.

stillakid
07-25-2002, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by aceguide
There's a lot of griping here for something no one has had a chance to play with. I think it looks great. Vehicles have RARELY been to scale - dare I mention any of the Falcons produced to date...

IF they had made this thing to scale it would have made the $115 for the Imperial shuttle look cheap!

Maybe there's a market for making scale 3 3/4 vehicles - but few could afford to have them all.

Uh, where'd all this talk about building it to scale come from? Most of the complaints are about those lame o' recycled-from-the-Gunner-Station turrets.

And nobody said anything about building whole toys either. :rolleyes: Geesh, you'd think people here took everything said literally. :rolleyes:

What was said was the the Gun Turrets on the movie ships are one of the best features and the work-around that is pictured in the above attachment is pretty weak. No, none of have seen it for real. No, it hasn't been released yet. If it makes everyone happy, we could shut this thread down until they do release it that way then reopen for another round of griping. :crazed:

Other than that, this is my second favorite ship from AOTC and I can't wait to get it! (If only we could get that doomed "stealth bomber" from the opening sequence...)

LTBasker
07-25-2002, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by stillakid

Uh, where'd all this talk about building it to scale come from? Most of the complaints are about those lame o' recycled-from-the-Gunner-Station turrets.

Um, yhey aren't recycled. Actually those have never been recycled, well unless you count the fact that the gunner stations Luke and Han had were the same. ;) If you're talking about the Falcon station, well that wasn't recycled either except from the first mold for each Falcon that came out after it.

The Gunship looks fine with the scale it's in, as long as it's well detailed, can fit more than 1 pilot (even though we just saw 1 on film) and more than 3 figures, I'm all for it! Especially when it's just $40.

It's even got firing rockets! My cats will love that. :evil:

aceguide
07-25-2002, 05:23 PM
The "scale talk" comes from the complaints about the gun pods. For them to be full pods (like in the movie) the ship would have to be bigger in order for it to look right.

Either way - I want it!

DarthMaulSithLord
07-26-2002, 09:27 PM
I don't care if it looks a bit weird, i want those gunpods that you see in the movie! The pods would look great on the ship if done right.

:(

bigbarada
07-27-2002, 02:42 PM
Well, in any case, it wouldn't be the first time that a vehicle had movie related features pulled because of scaling problems (Falcon, AT-AT). Either way, for the price, it is pretty cool.

rynobot
07-27-2002, 03:00 PM
Hasbro could have made bubbles that were scale to the ship already in production, it would be the bubble with the gun but no way to open the bubble. If they would have done this we would have had the cool bubbles that were to scale with the rest of the ship, and Hasbro wouldn't have to raise the price.

JediTricks
07-28-2002, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Well, in any case, it wouldn't be the first time that a vehicle had movie related features pulled because of scaling problems (Falcon, AT-AT). Either way, for the price, it is pretty cool. Yeah, but isn't this like releasing the Falcon without the quad lasers or the cockpit?

Beast
07-28-2002, 05:48 AM
No, because it's still gonna have the side guns, they just don't look exactly like the side guns in the movie. It's cool that they packed them in with the CloneTrooper Pilots, though. It's better then the other possible options. Either scaling the ship up again, and making it $100 bucks. Or, making the bubbles movie accurate and putting Mini-Mi CloneTroopers in the bubbles. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
07-28-2002, 02:42 PM
Why would they have to put Clone Troopers in them? I would've been sold for just bubbles like the wing guns, that just look like they're commanded by the gunner in the cockpit. Just clear bubbles, that could turn around and hung out on their poles just like in the movie. No type of Clone Trooper in there.

The least they could've done was make them clear even if it did show the mechanisms for the firing missile, it would be better than looking at the grey bubbles then seeing the wing clear bubbles.

'Course hopefully it was just proto pics on a proto box.

JediTricks
07-29-2002, 03:17 AM
Why would the figures have to go in? Because it was a character-oriented gimmick, it'd be like having no back seat on the Snowspeeder or a miniature cockpit on the Imperial Shuttle.

LTBasker
07-29-2002, 03:34 AM
So are you insisting that they put mini-Clone Troopers in the wing pods? ;)

Seriously, it's not that big of a deal because they were hardly ever focused on. The gunner stations on the Snow speeders and the cockpit of the Shuttles were essential parts of the vehicle. Not too mention you hardly even see the Clone Trooper inside due to it having white armor and blending with the clear with the lighting effects interrupting the full clear effect.

rynobot
07-29-2002, 04:02 AM
And why does Jar Jar keep saying it would cost $100 to have bubbles?

Beast
07-29-2002, 04:06 AM
If you wanted it to be movie accurate, and have movie accurate bubbles, they ship would have to be much larger in scale, and cost around $100. That's why. This is the best solution for the problem that could be devised. If you don't like it, just don't put the side turrets on, or make your own. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
07-29-2002, 12:49 PM
Yeesh! Talk about pointless debating! :rolleyes:

Don't buy this if you don't want it. It's really quite simple. I like it... so I'm going to buy it. You don't, so go spend your cash on something else! :D

Val Da Car
07-29-2002, 12:51 PM
Heck I'm gonna buy two...so don't spend your money on it so I can create my Jedi Arena Scene!!!:rolleyes:

JEDIpartner
07-29-2002, 12:57 PM
'Atta boy!

I just want one... I don't really recreate scenes. I'll ply with my toys from time to time... and I don't have anyone to play with... so one will do! :D

And who'd have thought I'm turning 35 in a couple weeks?

Val Da Car
07-29-2002, 01:13 PM
Just celebrated 32 last week and I just got back into collecting figures.....I am gonna have to post in the Diorama section soon......now that I have a web link to all of the ppl in the Arena scene.....whoot!!!

if link does not work here it is
http://www.swmovies.net/episode-ii/faq/cast/jedi/

Boo Yeah!!