PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek III: The Search For Spock Special Edition DVD News!!

Beast
07-23-2002, 05:46 PM
Looks like we won't have to wait until next year for the Special Edition release of Star Trek III. Likely because it's not going to be an extended cut, they were able to ready it for release this year. As I posted before, Nimoy has stated in the past that the theatrical version is his final version. Hopefully the rumored Shatner/Nimoy audio commentary will be included. Here's the info from DVDFile.com. I'll keep you all informed, when I hear more. :)

Just in time for the big screen debut of the latest Star Trek adventure Nemesis, Paramount Home Entertainment has announced a 10/8 street date for a new two-disc special edition of Star Trek III: The Search for Spock. Retail is $29.95, and stay tuned for specs.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

wedgeA
07-23-2002, 05:52 PM
I think this is only solid odd numbered film, and the scene with the theft of the Enterprise is one of my favorite scenes from all of the films. Still, I hope they pile on the extras for that price tag, especially considering that many are "double-dipping" for this disc. Maybe deleted scenes in the supplements.

Beast
07-23-2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by wedgeA
I think this is only solid odd numbered film, and the scene with the theft of the Enterprise is one of my favorite scenes from all of the films. Still, I hope they pile on the extras for that price tag, especially considering that many are "double-dipping" for this disc. Maybe deleted scenes in the supplements.
I agree, Star Trek III is about the only good odd numbered Star Trek film. Don't worry, they have already said that all the Star Trek re-issues will be 2-disc sets. No fear of them not loading the discs full of extras. Other then there not being an extended cut of the film, the rest of the features should be on par with the D.C. DVD's of TMP and TWoK. And with pre-ordering or buying the first week it's released, it should be around 20.00. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JON9000
07-23-2002, 06:31 PM
I have some major problems with STIII. While I like the theft sequence and the destruction of the Enterprise. The moments with McCoy acting like Spock were funny also.

That said, , I thought the effects were sub-par- the sets on Genesis were rather shoddy indoor jobs. The idea of the Enterprise being fully automated was a little far out. Also, continuity wise, I thought the movie in general spent too much time wriggling its way out of STII. Bring back Spock- kill David. And no Kirstie Alley as Saavik.

Also- did they do some major interior work on the bridge of the Bird of Prey between II and III?

III is passable, but it ain't Wrath of Khan, that's for sure!

JediTricks
07-23-2002, 09:22 PM
There was no BOP in II, but the bridge set between III and IV was almost completely different from the chairs to the doors to the displays.

The Genesis scenes were slow as mud, I would have rather watched Grissom get into a losing firefight with the BOP than Saavik & David on Genesis.

Personally, I like TMP more than III.

Beast
07-23-2002, 09:26 PM
Star Trek III is still fine art compared to the piece of utter garbage Star Trek V is though. Hopefully they get someone compitent to do a full makeover on that film. Or if Shatner demands to do it himself, he atleast gets someone compitent to help him. Either way, it looks like they are going to try to do 2 releases a year. So that means IV and V for next year. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
07-23-2002, 10:18 PM
I like ST:V better than III, but I like III better than Generations & Insurrection. I think Paramount would need to pony up a ton of $$$ to fix the film that THEY broke though.

wedgeA
07-23-2002, 10:26 PM
I come down in between JT and JJB on the ST:V issue. I loved the philosophical overtones, and there was some great dialogue, but Shatner did not direct this film properly as there were problems. The pacing and characterization were off, and whoever did the SFX stunk. CGI redux, for the love of humanity, CGI Redux!!

Beast
07-23-2002, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
I like ST:V better than III, but I like III better than Generations & Insurrection. I think Paramount would need to pony up a ton of $$$ to fix the film that THEY broke though.
Well, it was broke before Paramount had a hand in it. Shatner just isn't a writer/director. Just look at how he portrayed the charecters. The "Row Row Row Your Boat" scene is extremly horrific. The charecters of the entire crew just seem off, seems that the only charecter that Shatner can write is Kirk.

According to IMDB, Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry was on record prior to his death as saying he considered elements of this film to be apocryphal to the Star Trek universe, possibly referring to the character of Spock's half-brother. Since ILM was unavaliable to do the special effects for the movie back in 1989, hopefully Paramount will choose to pony up the cash, and get them to redo all the bad special effects. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JON9000
07-24-2002, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

ILM was unavaliable to do the special effects for the movie back in 1989,

Is that what it was? God those were awful. And the story just plain sucks. The only part I like is when Spock gets General Kord's face. Star Trek V is for the hardcore only.

I find III, with all of its flaws to be a much better film. I also have to say that the director's edition of TMP elevates it a great deal. 153 minutes on VHS was simply too long. I will also go on record as saying the best renditions of the Enterprise in any film were in TMP. THe ship looked very realistic in space lit only by the lights in the ship. In later films they got lazy with the lighting details.

LTBasker
07-24-2002, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
The Genesis scenes were slow as mud, I would have rather watched Grissom get into a losing firefight with the BOP than Saavik & David on Genesis.

Personally, I like TMP more than III.

Would've been a short fight, I don't think the Oberth class has weaponry systems, I think it's just meant as a pure science ship.

I liked ST3, mostly because I didn't want Spock to be gone. :D Christopher as a Klingon was also what made the film very different...

Beast
07-24-2002, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by JON9000
Is that what it was? God those were awful. And the story just plain sucks. The only part I like is when Spock gets General Kord's face. Star Trek V is for the hardcore only.
Aye, according to IMDB and confirmed on quite a few other websites, ILM was busy doing 2 other films at the time the Special Effects for Star Trek V were needed to be done. Here is the info from IMDB.com:

The film's special effects were not done by ILM because the members of ILM were already working on Ghostbusters 2 and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. This hindered the film's ending greatly because the ending was to be much longer than Kirk simply being chased by "God." However, the sequence had to be cut out as a result of awful-looking special effects. The scenes were replaced by more shots of George Murdock's face, except his eyes glowed.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
07-24-2002, 02:02 PM
Well, here are the specs for the 2-disc set and the DVD case art. Looks like we won't be getting the rumored audio commentary by Nimoy/Shatner, but Nimoy did do Audio Commentary for the film. :)

The 2-disc set will include the original theatrical cut of the film on Disc One, in anamorphic widescreen video with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. You will also find feature-length audio commentary with director Leonard Nimoy, writer/producer Harve Bennett, director of photography Charles Correll and actress Robin Curtis, along with another text commentary by Michael and Denise Okuda.

Disc Two will include the Captain's Log production retrospective featurette (featuring new interviews with Leonard Nimoy, William Shatner, Christopher Lloyd and Robin Curtis), the Terraforming and the Prime Directive featurette (which looks at the science fiction and real subject of "terraforming", featuring an interview with a NASA scientist), 3 additional production featurettes (Space Docks and Birds of Prey, Speaking Klingon and Klingon and Vulcan Costumes), the film's theatrical trailer, storyboards and a photo gallery. Note that the street date and features have been officially confirmed with the studio.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

pthfnder89
07-24-2002, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker

Christopher as a Klingon was also what made the film very different...

Hee hee. I kept expecting him to say "Great Scott! "

Basically I liked the begining and the end of ST3. It had several great scenes, very memorable in the ST universe. But the Genesis scenes were bad in almost every way.

Still, as was already mentioned, 3 is still the best of the odd numbered films, although I rate it below every even numbered one so far. (I'll wait to see how Nemesis turns out before I make a final judgement ;))

Beast
07-24-2002, 03:57 PM
Oh, another minor update. The street date for Star Trek III has been changed. Paramount officially announced today that it was going to be released on October 22nd not October 8th!

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
07-25-2002, 01:35 AM
JJB, I think Shatner got a great feeling of the original series out of ST5 and brought McCoy to a perfect point. He's an action director and an action writer, but I think he got the characterizations down pretty good for a nice comfortable feel, AND he gave everybody something to do for once. And as for writing, you should read "The Return", the sequel he wrote to "Star Trek Generations", I think he did a great job there getting good characterizations and great action sequences, as well as some good Trek talkin' scenes too.

Originally posted by LTBasker
Would've been a short fight, I don't think the Oberth class has weaponry systems, I think it's just meant as a pure science ship. 3 phaser banks, one photorp launcher.

Sybok was only Spock's brother because they needed a convenient reason for Spock to refuse shooting him.

I thought that except for the end sequences, the effects in ST5 were pretty good. The end sequences I blame on Paramount, as do Shatner and Nimoy. Roddenberry didn't like the idea of ST having anything to do with "God", especially since at that time Shatner was considering having Kirk find the real thing instead of a fake.

Originally posted by pthfnder89
Hee hee. I kept expecting him to say "Great Scott! " I expected him to be doing "Okey dokey boss!" Reverend Jim crapola. ;)

I thought Christopher Lloyd played Kruge pretty weak and basic, but at least stayed away from his previous characters.

wedgeA
07-25-2002, 06:01 AM
One of the things that bothered me about The Final Frontier was that except for the big three and Scotty, all the crew members bought Sybok's routine. I think that it should have been established more thoroughly that Sybok could engage in mind control, because I have a hard time accepting that the crew would choose, even in the slightest to mutiny. It was a slap to Chekov Uhura and Sulu.

JediTricks
07-26-2002, 05:00 AM
I accepted it as some sort of Vulcan mind-control power - from the very first scene, it's clear that he's getting into the minds of others INSTANTLY. Since Vulcan's cast off some of those more powerful psychic powers when they left behind their emotions, I figure Sybok tapping into his emotions would also be able to tap into those powers.

They shoulda explained it though.

wedgeA
07-26-2002, 05:46 AM
JT,

True, but then Kirk, Spock, and McCoy were somehow strong enough to resist his power. So either way, the rest of the crew looks weak minded, especially with the ambiguity in the story.

JediTricks
07-26-2002, 05:53 AM
They were just tighter with each other and Kirk than they were with their pain, they had a close bond and were together when it went down, so it made it easier to shake off. Plus, they're the stars of the film. :D Originally, Shatner wanted Spock and McCoy to go with Sybok and Nimoy said "you can't do that, these characters would never do that".

hango fett
07-27-2002, 03:30 PM
maybe i can get it for my birthday since my b-day is 10/7!
hango

Tycho
07-19-2007, 02:01 PM
I love this movie. A lot of action and a very cool depiction of the Klingons!

This movie introduced the Bird of Prey ship to Star Trek as well, with the one that would become the HMS Bounty from ST IV.

The "odd numbered curse" is not a theory I've subscribed to (referring to any odd-numbered sequel to Star Trek being bad). Star Trek III is the best example of that - though I also think the TNG film "Insurrection" wasn't bad either. Star Trek III is by far a fun and exciting movie though.

There's nothing wrong with it and it even focuses on Starfleet Science Division, the Klingons, and finally Vulcan mysticism even.

It's a very enjoyable Star Trek film.

Tycho
07-19-2007, 08:10 PM
New Post: because it's about a different topic: Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

There's a lot of discussion on it in here, so I'd rather not start a new thread.

I just want to say that I love this movie and the story is great. I don't stand with the others who say it's that bad. My VHS copy's picture quality is remarkably poor - either it always was or it's degraded more than the other TOS Trek films I purchased in the same box set.

It reinforces my notion to buy all the Trek movies on DVD at last. I was going to skip 1 & 5, but now with my wanting 5, I see no reason why not to get the updated director's cut of 1 as well.

Anyway, I enjoy the lines and comradery of ST5. So sue me if you don't, but I'll reinforce my support for this film.

JediTricks
07-22-2007, 11:46 PM
Until ST10, the odd-numbered issue I think held true, it wasn't a curse, just a lower level of quality. ST3 is the best of the odd-numbers, but it's still pretty low down the scale compared to the even-numbers. ST3 feels a little stilted, the Klingon side of the story is a bit flat, and the Genesis Planet stuff really doesn't own up to the cinematic aspect.