PDA

View Full Version : My apologies, part 2!

DeadEye
07-25-2002, 12:39 AM
Yeah. We've reached this point again...a new low. A new flame was stirred by speaking about movies.
Several recent movies, which I had heard of but not seen, were mentioned by me. This, for some reason, prompts forumites to believe that I had actually seen the movies. Well, I'm sorry if you think I was lying.
I'm sorry for posting in the Farscape thread...I just mentioned my thoughts on the show based on what I had seen of it. :D
Jar Jar, I still don't know whether you liked me or not...although you claim you've been trying to help me out, most of your rebukes come out as insults.
Once again, I'm sorry for unwittingly rubbing people the wrong way and hope we can all get along until the next controversy comes up.

Beast
07-25-2002, 12:43 AM
Oh Gods, The Apology Thread 2.0 has been spawned. Quick, everyone head for the hills!! Run Away, Run Away!! Run Silent, Run Deep!! :crazed: :D

DeadEye, seriously. If you gave some thought to what you were posting, before you hit reply, you wouldn't have so many people upset with you. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
07-25-2002, 12:47 AM
Ok, everyone...step away from the thread! We don't need to start another flame war and then get another thread closed, if you don't have anything that is significant to add in a good way, then just ignore the thread. Just a quick warning beforehand...

Thank you.

Btw, DeadEye, this could be taken care of via Private Messaging, you can PM multiple people at once.
I don't see a reason to apologize though, you expressed your opinions and mere facts that you had not seen many of those movies.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-25-2002, 12:47 AM
I've been reading all of those posts...as for anything weird that I noticed... the discussions were WAY off the topic to welcoming MaceWindu 87 other than that....with all the smiley faces on everyone's posts, it seemed pretty light-hearted to me!

It is a bit difficult to portray one's emotions and intentions in writing, hence the common use of smiley faces to show that there is good intent...not ill-will. That seems to be the case to me in said posts mentioned above!?!?

:) :( :o
:D ;) :p
:cool: :rolleyes: :mad:
:eek: :confused: :frus:
:evil: :sur: :zzz:
:stupid: :happy: :Pirate:
:greedy: :cry: :kiss:
:dead: :crazed:

they're here for us.....USE 'EM :) :) :)

Jonna
07-25-2002, 12:52 AM
Alright, just let me say that no one is out to get anyone here. We all just have different opinions and that is fine and dandy! SW, no big deal! Movies, who cares! We are not talking about any of that here, well at least I am not.

I want to say this here and now! I will probably get some flack from this , but I really don't care (this thread will be closed soon enough anyway). Movies are entertaining but they really do not amount to anything, especially life. Go out and climb a tree people. I think that the problem that has spawned this thread is the problem of clinging on to one or two things and not allowing ourselves to experience anything else with open eyes. You are not what you think you are!

Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up!

I was climbing a tree and I was like Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

QLD
07-25-2002, 01:11 AM
Oh my god, I saw this thread and I was going to post then i was like WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bigbarada
07-25-2002, 01:20 AM
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Y'know, I kinda agree with Jonna. Movies and TV are pretty trivial things to get all in a tizzy about. However, unless you are just obsessed with a post count, why not stay away from threads about movies or shows you haven't seen? I don't watch Farscape, cuz I really don't like it. (Not to slight anyone who does, different strokes for.... you know the rest) So, I stay away from Farscape threads. It's as simple as that. Only post if you actually have something meaningful to add.

BTW, off topic, you're "you are not what you think you are" comment makes me think of something, Jonna. Mind PMing me as to what that's all about? You've piqued my curiosity.:)

QLD
07-25-2002, 01:26 AM
It takes.....Diff'rent Strokes to move the world.......

derek
07-25-2002, 01:50 AM
hey, what da ya know it's another non apology thread. i'm sorry everyone else was mistaken...mistakes were made...i have no recollection senator....:crazed:

jjreason
07-25-2002, 03:19 AM
Deadeye, I know you're a military man however there is a time to turn the other cheek - regardless of what you may have learned in basic training. People are going to respond to the posts you make. Sometimes they'll agree with what you say, other times they won't. You know that. Why then, when someone disagrees with you, do you always say that they're talking out of their butts?

It's a difference of opinion, not an attack. Your defensiveness is indicative of your real lack of confidence in what you post. Why not do as someone else said, and think - take a deep breath and think - before you post a flaming reply? Your comments are generally funny, and do add a certain ^ahem^ flavor to the discussions in the forums.

Feeling like you have to apologize for things you have said here should be a sign to you that you need to be more tolerant, and less quick to flame those who disagree with you.

mabudonicus
07-25-2002, 03:20 AM
Just quick, Deadeye, and remember, we've "spoken"- I have never PMed ANYONE I had a problem with, don't forget that, it's still true.
Just notice you used the word "unwittingly". Maybe if you tried to post "wittingly" a bit more, you wouldn't "unwittingly" tick off so many folks here. Some of us really don't care, some REALLY seem to, but you can bet that if there's rebuffing to do, SOMEBODY's gonna take up the mantle, GUARANTEED. Then it's all gonna be... wait for it..... Dweeee-BOP doodly doodly BooooWEEEOW. I'm your friend, man, trust me. BooooweoooWWWNNN!!!
BTW- I was typing this simultaneous with the last post (sorry it's late, this is an edit- I think it was JJreason), and it said the same basic thing, but mine's funnier:)
I just wanted to see if I can do this (ya just KNOW it's gonna happen)
Ahem *DA or JT-like-tone* THREAD CLOSING...rats, I guess I can't do it like you guys. I'll look for the tell tale icon tomorrow.....

DeadEye
07-25-2002, 09:49 AM
The only real things I have to say to this are:

1. I never had any intention to offend anyone in any of my threads or posts.
2. My posts in the threads pertaining to movies I hadn't seen were mainly to see who had seen those movies, and whether they were any good, not simply to rack up posts. :rolleyes:
3. I've said probably twice now that people are talking out of their butts, and it's not simply because they disagree with me (hell, Jar Jar doesn't like me and never agrees with me but I never insult him) but because they decide to throw in a few vicious insults on each occasion.
4. Basically every thread I start has the best intentions...and almost every single time, someone comes in, a flame war erupts, and all of a sudden it becomes an off-topic 15-page volley of vicious insults.
5. I've been trying hard to convince you that I'm a good guy...and really, just because I haven't seen certain movies doesn't make me any less of a person.

billfremore
07-25-2002, 10:06 AM
Deadeye, my intention was not to insult you for not seeing certain movies, I was just trying to give you a hard time and a slight ribbing I never meant to offend. :)

Hey there's tons of movies I've never seen, I don't think anybody has seen every single movie out there...

...well maybe Jar Jar. :D ;)

Jonna
07-25-2002, 10:42 AM
Deadeye, seriously. You have a wide range of individuals here who are suggesting worth while movies to watch. If you like movies and want to watch some good ones, then just take the advice. I don't believe that it is anyone's intention to badger you.

Well, maybe Bill!:)

billfremore
07-25-2002, 10:44 AM
Hey!
I resemble that remark! ;)

Jargo
07-25-2002, 11:02 AM
This is pointless and counterproductive cyclic behaviour. Instead of actually changing your ways you follow a moebius curve and always return to the same point and carry on returning because there is no other way. You need to break the chain and start over.

If you see a thread about something you know nothing of find out what it is that's being discussed and do some research if you want to participate. Watch the movie, read the book, view the show. There is absolutely no point in interrupting a thread in full flow with a comment stating that you have no interest in the subject and think the subject is dull or boring or whatever.

The greatest art to conversation is the ability to ask a question. If you know nothing then ask a question and learn from those who have knowledge. But make it an intelligent open question. A closed question will net only a closed response. By which I mean if you ask "is it good?" all you will recieve back is yes or no answers. Your question was closed. If on the other hand you ask "I haven't had a chance to see this yet and was wondering if anyone could recomend why it's worth watching. Is there much excitement and action?" then that will net a fuller more in depth reply which will engage you and draw you into the conversation. It won't rankle people the way a closed question will.
You just have to think a little harder before posting.

And yes, I am a pompous arse but don't let that bother you. I'm entitled to be - I'm British. :)

billfremore
07-25-2002, 11:22 AM
Yes Jargo, but it's your pompous arseness that makes you so endearing. :D

scruffziller
07-25-2002, 11:28 AM
I sense a "it's better to ask for forgiveness than get permission" theme going on here.:rolleyes:................... :D

2-1B
07-25-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
This is pointless and counterproductive cyclic behaviour. Instead of actually changing your ways you follow a moebius curve and always return to the same point and carry on returning because there is no other way. You need to break the chain and start over.

If you see a thread about something you know nothing of find out what it is that's being discussed and do some research if you want to participate. Watch the movie, read the book, view the show. There is absolutely no point in interrupting a thread in full flow with a comment stating that you have no interest in the subject and think the subject is dull or boring or whatever.

The greatest art to conversation is the ability to ask a question. If you know nothing then ask a question and learn from those who have knowledge. But make it an intelligent open question. A closed question will net only a closed response. By which I mean if you ask "is it good?" all you will recieve back is yes or no answers. Your question was closed. If on the other hand you ask "I haven't had a chance to see this yet and was wondering if anyone could recomend why it's worth watching. Is there much excitement and action?" then that will net a fuller more in depth reply which will engage you and draw you into the conversation. It won't rankle people the way a closed question will.
You just have to think a little harder before posting.

:)

DeadEye
07-25-2002, 03:08 PM
I think plenty...probably more than you, anyway. My posts are not the problem. I mean, people here take everything offensive. You know, next thing I know, there'll be a thread about AOTC, and heaven forbid I don't "think" before I post something like "Yeah, I thought AOTC was a good movie." Because I know someone will be like, "Oh, you lying b*stard! Why don't you prove it! You're just a sad little man that's always online, and you don't know anyone, and you suck, and yadda yadda yadda..." Because no matter what I say and what the thread is, someone ends up saying something like that. Then Jar Jar comes in and speaks of my eating porridge and oatmeal (and I don't) :D and then Jonna and QLD come in and say, "Weeeeee!" :rolleyes:

Jonna
07-25-2002, 03:15 PM
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

DeadEye
07-25-2002, 03:17 PM
You see? That's exactly what I'm talking about!

Beast
07-25-2002, 03:23 PM
*Joins the Club*

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! :D

DeadEye
07-25-2002, 03:40 PM
You know, I really liked these forums. Honestly. A good balance of personalities, the cool ability to host pictures and even avatars all you want (on sites like 3drealms.com, whose forums I'm a member of, you need your own website to have an avatar!), and generally cool people, I thought I had a good thing here. I knew, I just knew it wouldn't last long. No matter what I do, I always lose.
And I don't know if you're trying to rack up your posts or what by constantly saying "Weee!" but since they haven't been deleted, I guess I'll follow suit.
From now on I shall be the one that gives you a hard time.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

billfremore
07-25-2002, 03:43 PM
Well, nice to see you've gotten all nice and bitter about everything. ;)

Jonna
07-25-2002, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by DeadEye
From now on I shall be the one that gives you a hard time.

Thems sound like fighten wurds!

Psudo-history of WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! is here:
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=143438#post143438

DeadEye
07-25-2002, 03:46 PM
How could I not be bitter about everything? You people have basically welcomed me with hostility ever since I joined...even my very first "Hello!" thread as I joined mutated into a 15-page volley of insults.

billfremore
07-25-2002, 03:52 PM
Not so, people started giving you a hard time after the whole Natalie Portman thing.

I'm saying let the whole thing go and move one, I think we all should.

DeadEye
07-25-2002, 04:03 PM
I think we should too...

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! :D

El Chuxter
07-25-2002, 04:08 PM
I've tried to stay out of these discussions, but this is getting ridiculous! Is it possible for there to be one thread that doesn't get into this mess? The major rule of thumb on these forums, IMHO, is to have fun. If people are arguing over relatively minor stuff, it makes it less fun for everyone. I know it's easy to avoid the clearly-marked threads like this one, but when it's spreading all over the place, it's not nearly as easy.

How about everyone just keep in mind that the other people aren't just names and icons? I'm not trying to be Mister Daddy-Pants here (that's Dar's job, and I suspect he's going to appreciate cleaning up and probably closing yet another thread). However, I'd really like to be able to come here without having to wade through pages of arguments to see the type of discussion I come here for.

Again, we all want to have fun here. Insults and bickering aren't the way. I don't want anyone to misinterpret this and think I'm arguing, but how about we put an end to this once and for all and focus on Star Wars, toy collecting, David Hasselhoff--you know, the important stuff.

End rant

billfremore
07-25-2002, 04:09 PM
Alright then.

So I think there's nothing left to say then.

Somebody wanna close this thread please?

DeadEye
07-25-2002, 04:10 PM
El Chuxter, I agree with you. Every thread I start is with the intention of a fun discussion, but then others come in and it mutates off-topic!

Capitan_Moroni
07-25-2002, 04:10 PM
~in his best Adam Sandlar~ "This one time I was on a boat with some friends, and this guy on the boat, he was like 'Come to da back of da boat!"

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QLD
07-25-2002, 04:21 PM
Hey, I mix in insults and explanations in occassionally along with a good HEARTY WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jonna
07-25-2002, 04:24 PM
Does anyone else realize that the same conversation is going on simultaniously in two threads? Let's take bets on which one will get closed first.

DeadEye
07-25-2002, 04:28 PM
I bet it's this one, because they'll never realize the insidious nature of the second one!!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :D

derek
07-26-2002, 12:54 AM
deadeye,
what is that guy saying in that little picture under your name? he looks stressed out.

QLD
07-26-2002, 12:58 AM
He is saying, now what did Deadeye tell me about this gun? Crap! I can't remember! I am so dead!

bigbarada
07-26-2002, 01:09 AM
That's Ewan McGregor in that pic! Obi-Wan with an semi-automatic rifle! Watch out dark side!!:)

DarthBrandon
07-26-2002, 01:37 AM
Nothing to say, but do you want some cheese with that whine D.E.?

Emperor Howdy
07-26-2002, 02:38 AM
Well.....I'm offended by jjreason's avatar.

*in my best Prince eagle screech*...."WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

JediTricks
07-26-2002, 02:54 AM
Ok, first off, THREAD CLOSED!!!

Secondly, this is getting out of hand. If you can't dial it back or ignore that which is bothering you, contact myself or SirSteve about it and we'll try to help out.