PDA

View Full Version : Star Tours not cool; Star Wars Theme Park would be awesome!

Tycho
07-25-2002, 03:14 AM
Have you been to Disneyland?

They have different worlds like Adventure Land (Indy Jones, the runaway train ride) Tomorrow Land (Star Tours, Space Mountain),
etc.

I wished there'd be an all Star Wars theme park with the Planets as the "worlds."

Hoth might be the showcase: 3 Rollercoaster tracks twisting and weaving around a giant AT-AT. The cars would be snowspeeders of course. And maybe to speed up the lines, they'd seat 4. Two sitting backwards in the tailgunner position! For more extras and thrills, the speeders will fly at crazy speeds through ice caverns and attack probe droids and evade the Wampa! Perhaps laser tag equipment would let passengers "score" while they ride!

I would do AAT Tank bumper cars that shoot tennis balls at pop-up Gungans! (or you could run them over!) Shoot at other tanks to play cut-throat style!

The Podrace would be a natural for a roller coaster!

The Trench Run as well as the Death Star II could also be rollercoasters!

Speederbikes on Endor could be a suspended ride!

And they could do so much more! Wouldn't that be better than Star Tours?

Beast
07-25-2002, 03:19 AM
That would be cool. But I think that would be seen by many, as the last step of George Lucas selling out. :rolleyes: But let them complain and stay away, would mean the lines would be shorter for those of us that would love this. I sure the heck would go. Tycho, you need to add some rides for those of us with Inner Ear problems that throw off our balance. Maybe a Haunted House Dagogah Tree Cave. I can't even ride a rollercoaster without getting really sick. :cry: :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
07-25-2002, 03:33 AM
I can see it now:

Millennnium Falcon Roller Coaster
Gungan Bongo water ride
Ewok village play area
Naboo relaxation area- with pool
Clontrooper Lasertag
Senate Pod shaped restaraunt booths
Lighsaber stunt shows
GIFT SHOPS WITH NOTHING BUT STAR WARS PRODUCTS!

JediTricks
07-25-2002, 03:49 AM
Star Tours not cool?!? Get the hell outta here, what kinda crap is that?!? :mad: :crazed:

Seriously though, Star Tours is awesome, you shouldn't badmouth this great attraction that was created for the 10th anniversary of SW.

2-1B
07-25-2002, 04:41 AM
Hey, it was kinda corny, but I liked it when I visited 6 years ago. I didn't care for the tour droid host, but the ride was very well done. I'd like to go again. :cry:
And waiting in line was cool too, nice setups at Disney World! :)

But I couldn't even begin to fathom how cool a SW themed park would be, I'd travel anywhere in the country to check it out. I wouldn't see it as selling out, not anymore than the JarJar toothbrush I bought 3 years ago. :rolleyes: Sounds like a cool way to interact with the series, I think it would be fun. :)

TeeEye7
07-25-2002, 08:07 AM
STAR TOURS ROCKS!

The other stuff sounds cool, too....

Disneyland could use some new stuff....having gone there for some 40 years (did I really say that?), new would be nice. Get the bulldozers ready!

Herby
07-25-2002, 11:49 AM
I have to say, I found Star Tours to be disappointing as well. The Star Wars themed stuff around the ride I saw while standing in line was actually more impressive than the ride. They really need to update it somehow...the newer 3d movie rides (Honey I shrunk the Audience and Muppets 3d) were much better at immersing me in a movie. I just wasn't impressed at a chair bouncing around while annoying droids yelled.

As a side note, maybe not just a Starwars park, maybe a general Lucasarts themed park, with things like the Dark Crystal, Indiana Jones, Monkey Island, Maniac Mansion (what a great haunted house ride that would be!), or even Howard the Duck.

QLD
07-25-2002, 11:52 AM
I saw it in like 88 I think, and I liked it. I am not sure SW warrants a whole amusement park. For some reason that doesn't sound right to me. I would rather have a Star Wars section of a park.

Pendo
07-25-2002, 12:25 PM
I've never been to Star Tours so I can't really rate it, but a Star Wars theme park would be GREAT!!! I really hope GWL is reading this cause all the rides sound so cool!

PENDO!

billfremore
07-25-2002, 01:01 PM
I too found Star Tours kind of anticlimactic.
I did enjoy it, but I had been on the Back to the Future ride at Universal the day before and I thought that was better.

My favourite part of the Star Tours ride was the stuff you saw while waiting in line. That and the full size AT-AT outside.

Tycho
07-25-2002, 02:39 PM
Disneyland doesn't have an AT-AT. Disneyworld does?

Cool!

Is it full size to humans? I mean like in the movie (were it real). So the main body could carry 24 of us plus officers and 4 speederbikes?

Wished you could go aboard it! I'd fly out to Florida for that!

A Lucasarts park would be cool. Possibly flesh out stuff so that it wouldn't all be Star Wars, and something from Willow would also be cool.

Howard the Duck is too scary for children Over the age of 14 though!

I also think Universal Studios' Back to the Future simulator ride is the best one of those I've ever been in.

Anyone been to Las Vegas' Star Trek one? I think it's a DS9 Runabout ride. Cool? I've been to Vegas probably 7 times since that opened, but none of my friends or ladyfriends I went with wanted to go to the Star Trek Experience! I'll have to go by myself I guess. Vegas is a 5 hour drive for me from San Diego. I'll need to burn the right CD's to take the trip alone...

billfremore
07-25-2002, 02:43 PM
As soon as I scan them I'll post some pics of myself in front of the AT-AT from my trip in April soon Tycho so you can see for yourself.

I don't think it's exactly actual size but it is pretty cool. :D

El Chuxter
07-25-2002, 02:50 PM
At Disney World (MGM Studios) in FL, the line wraps by Snowspeeder and Speeder Bike props, through an Ewok village with replica AT-AT, and into the back entrance of the shield bunker. Once you're inside, it's almost identical to Disneyland, but a little nicer since it's newer and the folks at WDW overall seem to keep things in better shape than at Disneyland.

I'm attaching a picture of me from about 6-10 years ago in front of the AT-AT.

But the complaints about Star Tours beg the question: How is it possible to not love a ride that features TEEEEEEEEEEEK!?!? I was so disappointed the first time I rode it because apparently I was buckling my safety belt when he appeared, but the second time I saw my speedy little friend and the ride instantly became one of my favorites. I rode it and the whole time I was like wweeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

Okay, who didn't see that coming a mile away?

billfremore
07-25-2002, 03:08 PM
Hey they've since removed the speeder, because that wasn't there when I went.

LTBasker
07-25-2002, 04:52 PM
:( :cry: I wanna go on Star Tours ride!!!! :cry: :crazed:

I like the idea of the SW Theme Park though, that would be very cool. Just for fun they could have an aquarium that while it wouldn't hold alien fish it would be like a Mon Calamari Underwater Zoo where they would get other species from other planets to have on Mon Calamari. :D

They could also have a "Make your own Star Wars movie scene" section where you could be in front of a green screen with blasters or lightsabers by yourself or with a friend to insert yourself into the movie. :D Kinda like the "Make your own music video" stuff.

Pendo
07-25-2002, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
They could also have a "Make your own Star Wars movie scene" section where you could be in front of a green screen with blasters or lightsabers by yourself or with a friend to insert yourself into the movie. :D Kinda like the "Make your own music video" stuff.

That's a very good idea, LTBasker! I'd pay to get into the theme park JUST to do that :D!

PENDO!

JediTricks
07-26-2002, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Tycho
Anyone been to Las Vegas' Star Trek one? I think it's a DS9 Runabout ride. Cool? I've been to Vegas probably 7 times since that opened, but none of my friends or ladyfriends I went with wanted to go to the Star Trek Experience! I'll have to go by myself I guess. Vegas is a 5 hour drive for me from San Diego. I'll need to burn the right CD's to take the trip alone... Yeah, it's ok, the real-actor parts are kinda oddball, but the bridge set is fantastic. The actual ride feels like you're in a shuttle watching a wrap-around movie more than a sim, I guess I've been spoiled by Star Tours or something. The ride concept isn't quite as inspired as Star Tours either, but it's fun if you don't mind the not-terribly-TNG frenetic pace. The ending is very cute and very different from Star Tours.

Oh, and SSG has a bunch of pics of the Star Tours Queue area from WDW in Florida, in the SW Weekends section, from SirSteve and Thrawn.

InsaneJediGirl
07-26-2002, 10:35 PM
I've never been to Star Tours although I live in FL,I dont really think it is worth the 60 bucks.

I would go to all Lucasfilm Themepark though!It would be great if the themepark was created,GL himself can show up once a in a while and see all of his followers:D:D

Herby
07-26-2002, 10:44 PM
I wanna go on Sam & Max: The Ride! They could have the giant ball of Twine, you could get chased by a Bigfoot, you could engage in senseless acts of gratuitous violence!

JediTricks
07-27-2002, 12:47 AM
BTW, the Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland is also really great and has a fun queue (line), though that part is a bit too long IMO. However the ride itself is fantastic in part because it's "real" stuff rather than a sim.

Disney and Lucasfilm have done some pretty big stuff together, Captain EO, Star Tours, the Indiana Jones stunt show in WDW, and the Indiana Jones ride in DL.

Tycho
07-28-2002, 05:28 PM
I love the Indiana Jones ride!