PDA

View Full Version : It's the end of the world!

Pendo
07-25-2002, 10:16 AM
I'm sure you've all heared the news about the asteroid that could hit earth on 1st Feb 2019 which would take out an entire continent and probably kill off the human race because we wouldn't survive the climate change. Well the chances of it hitting are remote, but if it were going to hit and you know you were going to die, what would be on your list of final things to do?

My list would be:
[list=1]
Watch all Star Wars material in chronological order, including the 2 Ewok movies, Holiday Special and the cartoons.
Write a letter to George Walton Lucas to thank him for the Star Wars films
Build a shelter to try and protect my friends and whatever's left of my family (hey it's worth a try)
Fly back to Africa
And the last thing I would do is appologise to the god(s) of every single religion incase I'm in the wrong one that doesn't really exist. I Do want to go to heaven!
[/list=1]

PENDO!

DeadEye
07-25-2002, 10:22 AM
I heard it would either be an asteroid or series of earthquakes that destroys the world, on December 22, 2012.

Jonna
07-25-2002, 10:36 AM
Here is a link to the CNN story:
http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/space/07/24/asteroid.encounter.ap/index.html

With the exception of working, I wouldn't do anything differently. I love the life that I have built for myself.

Boba Rhett
07-25-2002, 10:43 AM
After about half of that Holiday Special, you'll be good and ready for the asteroid to hit. :D

The Mayans predicted 2012 didn't they?

billfremore
07-25-2002, 10:49 AM
Hey as soon as I'm able to watch all 6 Star Wars movies in row, then they can blow up the earth. :D

Jargo
07-25-2002, 10:52 AM
If I'm going to be obliterated in a meteor smash I'd want to go out while getting a little lovin' from my partner. I'd hate to end my days with people I didn't know or like. Say it happened while you were at work or on the train. All alone in a crowd. That'd suck. In the arms of the one I love is where I'd want to be.

But then again, who cares? We all gotta die sometime so stop worrying and get on with what you got in your life already. If you start worrying we're right back to reds under the beds and the threat of nuclear war and building bunkers in the back yard and seige mentality. If anyone gets out alive it'll be the extremely rich and they'll end up in the shuttle with nowhere to go anyway. Either way if it ends it ends. It's more likely to hit the moon anyway. With no moon the sea turns into a big lake. The night sky gets darker And the planet gets warmer and drier. certain migratory species will become extinct and life changes. All species evolve a little further to adapt to new climates and then we all carry on carrying on.

Or we could end up like moonbase Alpha drifting off into space like a floating island chunk of planet until we get caught in another planets gravitational pull and become a satellite moon. maybe severa chunks formerly known as earth. Speculation and conjecture and hypothesis. No hard facts because they can't possibly know what's going to happen if it hasn't happened yet.

Vortex
07-25-2002, 11:00 AM
Sort of makes this rat race we run look trivial doesn't it.

I really don't know what I'd do, I do know I'd quit this job and probably hop a plane to Iceland or New Zeland and climing a mountain and watching the world come to screetching hault.

And I could only hope some scientists thousands of years later find my body and I can become the missing link...while clutching an encyclopedia with tons of past knowledge...

Destroyed in the bink of an eye. Gotta love this universe.

Darth Sidious
07-25-2002, 11:18 AM
Im not sure about that...The world was supposed to end in 1900...and 1932...and 1964...Etc., etc. They have said the world will end for centuries, and it never has when they said it would...But supposing it was, I would not do a whole lot differently, I think. I would keep living as I am now.

billfremore
07-25-2002, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by DeadEye
I heard it would either be an asteroid or series of earthquakes that destroys the world, on December 22, 2012.

Hey cool, the world's gonna end on my birthday.

That should be one heck of a party, the party to end all parties. :D

gibbspaulus
07-25-2002, 11:34 AM
I studied with a girl once whose opening comment to the class was 'My world ended the day River Pheonix died'. Obviously it's already happened!! We can stop panicking and stop singing 'duck and cover'.

darthvyn
07-25-2002, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
It's more likely to hit the moon anyway. With no moon the sea turns into a big lake. The night sky gets darker And the planet gets warmer and drier. certain migratory species will become extinct and life changes. All species evolve a little further to adapt to new climates and then we all carry on carrying on.

the day would also be about 6 hours long, as the gravitational pull of the moon is what keeps our rotation at 24 hours... you thought there wasn't enough time in the day right now... huh!

Jargo
07-25-2002, 11:49 AM
At the rate I'm going, only getting up at three in the afternoon that would suit me fine :D hate daylight, love the night. I'd be happy to live nocturnaly. living in the shadows is much more fun...... :evil:

darthvyn
07-25-2002, 11:50 AM
hate daylight, love the night. I'd be happy to live nocturnaly. living in the shadows is much more fun...... :evil:

do you like to boogey, or are you just a vampire?

anyway i just realized i'm completely off topic...

what would i do? i would probably just sit down and hold the person that was the most important in my life at that time, and hopefully have a really cool view of the spectacular... what else could you do? i really woudn't want to live in the wasteland to follow, which just proves that my genes aren't strong enough to survive it anyway, so i'll help darwinism along a little and just say "WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!"

JediJeff77
07-25-2002, 11:54 AM
I don't think I would do anything differently. I would like to watch it happen, tho. Knowing my luck, I'll die in a car wreck or something the day before. That would suck.
-J

El Chuxter
07-25-2002, 12:02 PM
I'm not worried at all. Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck will save us!

Needles
07-25-2002, 12:03 PM
2019 the world will end,I read the article,most likely it wont hit,odds are against the astroid,if it hits let the inevitable happen,but the human race can end at anytime,a second from now,or a thousand years from now,it says in the bible,The Bible has always proved science wrong.if it does happen,it would probally be because the world would be completely filled with sinners,many sinners.How did you think the world would end?

QLD
07-25-2002, 12:07 PM
It's the end of the world...........and I feel fine.....

Needles
07-25-2002, 12:20 PM
I wouldnt care at all let Nasa Handle it

DeadEye
07-25-2002, 12:42 PM
I think it will be the end of the world on that date in 2012. The Mayans invented the zero, invented the modern calendar (which is still terrifyingly accurate), predicted numerous comets and meteors that actually did occur...they've never been wrong before, so why would they be now?

derek
07-25-2002, 12:44 PM
december 22, 2012???

that's the day the aliens will begin the invasion. the smoking man himself said so!:crazed:

DeadEye
07-25-2002, 12:46 PM
That's also the day the world will be destroyed.

icatch9
07-25-2002, 12:48 PM
Not to worried about this. I mean it's 20 years away. Surely in 20 years, we'll figure a way to blow this puppy out of the sky for good. I mean they did it in Armagedan, right? No worries.

Still I would live the last few years of my life just enjoying life. Be with my wife and surly we'd have children by then. Just go find a nice quiet place in the middle of now where and enjoy the earth and my family. The end may come, but there is so much to be lived for now matter how close the end is.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-25-2002, 01:11 PM
Those are just the asteroids that they can see. For every asteroid they do spot, there are two or three that they probably haven't spotted that will make a near collision with Earth. Wasn't it this year scientists discovered an asteroid that passed within (I am not sure the distance, 100,000 miles?) the Earth. And they discovered the asteroid two or three days after the fact. The same thing happened a couple of years ago and in 1991. They weren't discovered until after they passed near the Earth.

And on that 2012 thing, didn't the Bible code, a book published a few years ago predict a major quake for LA in 2012? An author apparently analyzed an Israeli holy book (the Torah) and actually discovered secret messages that predicted certain things like the JFK assassination and other events. Don't know if the book is a bunch of rubbish but apparently it has predicted several world events with astonishing accuracy.

DeadEye
07-25-2002, 01:14 PM
Um...icatch9, 2012 is ten years from now, not twenty. :p

El Chuxter
07-25-2002, 01:20 PM
I remember reading that book. Though I consider myself religious, I don't normally read stuff like that. But I was bored at a relative's house and that was the only book on hand. It predicted lots of stuff with astonishing accuracy, but it was all stuff that had already happened by the time the book went to publication. Like "dragons once roamed the earth, but a rock from the sky killed them." Everything in the future (as of the publication date) was vague, and there were lots of forecasted disasters that (after the supposed disaster date), the author went back into the documents and saw "My hand will avert the disaster this time."

I came away thinking it was pretty much rubbish. If it had predicted the Monica Lewinsky scandal (which had happened between the time the book was published but before I read it), I'd be impressed.

Lobito
07-25-2002, 01:59 PM
I dont think the earth will be destroyed in the next 500 years...so dont worry about it. The ghost that the earth will be destroyed will always live, but its just a ghost and so far the ghost has missed every single time.

Dont worry.:)

2-1B
07-25-2002, 02:06 PM
The world will be fine. :)

But I'm with El Chuxter, Ben and Bruce will save us!

I'll be worshipping in the cult of Harry Stamper with Eternal Padawan, inaugurating his idea of "Harry Stamper Day." :D

Pendo
07-25-2002, 02:26 PM
One of the possible ways to divert the asteroid away from the earth would be to attatch a solar sail to it. Count Dooku uses a solar sail in Episode II so it would be cool to see a real one in action.

Another way to divert it would be to paint it white because it would absorb the sun differently which would take it off course :crazed:. Who thinks up this stuff?

PENDO!

Jonna
07-25-2002, 02:27 PM
How about we paint a giant train tunnel through the Earth and it will just pass right through us. Hey, it worked for the Roadrunner!

darthvyn
07-25-2002, 02:36 PM
we could just get everyone on earth to move to one side of the planet and just PUSH real hard. we could just move the earth instead of some innocent asteroid...

Mandalorian Candidat
07-25-2002, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Jonna
How about we paint a giant train tunnel through the Earth and it will just pass right through us. Hey, it worked for the Roadrunner!

Ha, ha, ha! LOL! :)

What if the meteor was really made of pumice. Then it would hit the ocean and just float there.

SWAFMAN
07-25-2002, 02:41 PM
1) the chances of that rock hitting are virtually zero (thanks, Mayans ;) )

2) It's supposedly about 2 kilometers across, and I think if it were proved to be on a collision course with us, we could nuke it either off-course or into pebbles before it got too close.

3) The bigger implication is that none of us know for sure when our individual time is going to expire, unless we commit suicide, so this news story reinforces my desire to make sure I never let a day pass without telling/showing my loved ones how precious they are to me and how much I love them.

Jargo has it right, folks. If you know it's going to happen, and there's nothing you can do to prevent it, then try to go out while holding the one(s) you love in your arms.

My grandmother passed away this spring, after a long time in the hospital. When she passed, almost everyone in the family was in the room, and her two surviving children were holding her hands. I've seen a handful of people die in my time, and as sad as her passing was, you could see & feel that she knew she was so loved at that moment. I don't want to die, but when I do, I sure as heck would hate to go with a bunch of unresolved "if only I'd...blah, blah, blah" baggage hanging over me and my loved ones.

billfremore
07-25-2002, 02:41 PM
That's great, it starts with an earthquake, birds and snakes, an aeroplane and Lenny Bruce is not afraid. Eye of a hurricane, listen to yourself churn - world serves its own needs, dummy serve your own needs. Feed it off an aux speak, grunt, no, strength. Ladder start to clatter with fear fight down height. Wire in a fire, represent the seven games a government for hire and a combat site. Left of west and coming in a hurry with the furies breathing down your neck. Team by team reporters baffled, trumped, tethered cropped. Look at that low playing! Fine, then. Uh oh, overflow, population, common food, but it'll do. Save yourself, serve yourself. World serves its own needs, listen to your heart bleed dummy with the rapture and the revered in the right - right. You vitriolic, patriotic, slam, fight, bright light, feeling pretty psyched.

SWAFMAN
07-25-2002, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by darthvyn
we could just get everyone on earth to move to one side of the planet and just PUSH real hard. we could just move the earth instead of some innocent asteroid...

Um, wouldn't we all have to HOP up & down at the same time? I mean, how would we "push"?

J/K ;)

Jargo
07-25-2002, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
I'm not worried at all. Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck will save us!
THAT'S IT! By george i think he has it - see, what we need to do is to shove as many crap hollywood actors into a shuttle or shuttle type recepticle and jet them off into space on an intercept course, then we explode the hollywood actors and knock the meteor off course. Or if that would possibly cause too much debris then we simply resort to plan B which is to use the same hollywood actors massive EGO bubbles to bounce the meteor off course and into the sun.

Or we could lassoo it with cheze strings and hurl it away. or we couls make a huge macrame net and stop it before it hits the earth by stretching the net between the moon and earth. or we could all chew gum and blow a bubble that would interconnect and form a massive bubble around the earth and deflect the meteor. or we could send Oprah Winfrey up to eat it....

SWAFMAN
07-25-2002, 07:10 PM
THAT'S IT! By george i think he has it - see, what we need to do is to shove as many crap hollywood actors into a shuttle or shuttle type recepticle and jet them off into space on an intercept course, then we explode the hollywood actors and knock the meteor off course.

If we consider our basic physics, that would theoretically work very well, due to the giant mass from all of that ego and the "density" of all those actors.
;)

The asteroid wouldn't have a chance.

darthvyn
07-25-2002, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by SWAFMAN

Um, wouldn't we all have to HOP up & down at the same time? I mean, how would we "push"?

J/K ;)

no. you just push. duh!:crazed:

If we consider our basic physics, that would theoretically work very well, due to the giant mass from all of that ego and the "density" of all those actors.
;)

The asteroid wouldn't have a chance.

don't you mean "GRAVITAS"? that's the new hollywood "blow smoke up your collegues' butts" word.

mylow thehutt
07-25-2002, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by DeadEye

Lets hope by then EP3 Is out:crazed:

master jedi
07-25-2002, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by derek
december 22, 2012???

that's the day the aliens will begin the invasion. the smoking man himself said so!:crazed:

Why wait til 2012 'til the aliens come. They're picking me up tonight.;)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-26-2002, 12:10 AM
As I read this thread I cannot helpt but to think of a short poem by Robert Frost

FIRE AND ICE

SOME say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what Iíve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To know that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

2-1B
07-26-2002, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Lowly Bantha Cleaner
As I read this thread I cannot helpt but to think of a short poem by Robert Frost

FIRE AND ICE

SOME say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what Iíve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To know that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

Easy for him to say, he's already dead! :(

floppy hat jon
07-26-2002, 02:52 PM

No, no, no. Didn't you learn anything from Atari? We HAVE to stay in the middle or else we'll collide with all the other asteroids. Besides, George W will have built us a big ion cannon by then anyway to fight the "axis of evil". And with the big bubble over the US, we'll be fine. As for the rest of you, well, uh, sorry.

darthvyn
07-26-2002, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by floppy hat jon

No, no, no. Didn't you learn anything from Atari? We HAVE to stay in the middle or else we'll collide with all the other asteroids. Besides, George W will have built us a big ion cannon by then anyway to fight the "axis of evil". And with the big bubble over the US, we'll be fine. As for the rest of you, well, uh, sorry.

LOL!!!

also, if we push too hard, we'll come out the other side of the screen too fast, and end up in the same place we started!

Lord Malakite
07-26-2002, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by floppy hat jon

LOL!!!

also, if we push too hard, we'll come out the other side of the screen too fast, and end up in the same place we started!

LOL!!!!

That was pretty good. I guess we'll have to start building that giant laser now and then run around the world really fast, like it were giant hamster wheel.

Eternal Padawan
07-27-2002, 04:16 AM
Back to Pendo's original intent, I would like to visit as many places as I could, great wall of China, London, the pyramids, etc. basically cash in the 401(k) and take the family on a round the world trip. I'd sell off alot of my possesions, too. I mean, take a look around you. look at all the toys, and DVDs and video games and worthless crap you've managed to amass in your room/apartment/house. YOU ARE GOING TO DIE! Sell it and use the cash to enrich your life experience before you get smooshed by the giant rock. Also, be tolerant and nice to everybody. Everybody is interesting in their own way, meet as many of those interesting people as you can.

And don't step in yak poop.

ROLLO!

QLD
07-27-2002, 12:10 PM
I would go door to door selling meteor shields. :D

SWAFMAN
07-27-2002, 01:30 PM
anyone catch the news story about a mysterious flying object over Washington D.C. a couple nights ago? I tried to find a print media news story to link to for this post, but couldn't. all I remember from the story is NORAD tracked an unknown flying target near DC and scrambled fighters out of Andrews AFB. The ANG claims the fighters arrived on-station and couldn't find anything, but apparently there are witnesses on the ground in MD who claim they saw the fighters chasing a blue light that moved at speeds and directions that seemed to be beyond the ability of any conventional aircraft. Then news story closed with the talking head saying it happened 50 yrs to the day from a similar incident in DC in 1952.

QLD
07-27-2002, 01:39 PM
Here's an article about what you mentioned SWAFFY, I read it this morning.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A8131-2002Jul26.html

SWAFMAN
07-27-2002, 07:17 PM
thanks QLD!!!
now at least I know I didn't dream I'd heard that story.
pretty cool stuff, huh?

QLD
07-27-2002, 07:41 PM
Yeah. SUuuuuuuuure it disappeared.

Who knows what was going on.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-27-2002, 11:08 PM
No one saw a blue light. It was just a weather balloon, plain and simple.

Just like the other 15,000 UFO sightings that have occured all over the world in recent years. All weather balloons.

Now move along . . .

Obi-Don
07-28-2002, 06:33 AM
The end of the world will happen when GOD wants it to. It won't matter if its a big rock,fire , ice or what ever. There will be nothing we can do about it. Live your life and be the best person you can. Let all you love know it and try to be as happy as you can. We could all or just me be gone tomorrow. Live today and let tomorrow take care of it's self. And for those who lives in apts that have people who play thier music to loud. Go down or up to thier apt.,knock on thier door and dance with them. That would be the best way for me to get back at them. If you seen me dance,you would know what I'm talking about.

Pendo
07-28-2002, 08:07 AM
anyone catch the news story about a mysterious flying object over Washington D.C. a couple nights ago? I tried to find a print media news story to link to for this post, but couldn't. all I remember from the story is NORAD tracked an unknown flying target near DC and scrambled fighters out of Andrews AFB. The ANG claims the fighters arrived on-station and couldn't find anything, but apparently there are witnesses on the ground in MD who claim they saw the fighters chasing a blue light that moved at speeds and directions that seemed to be beyond the ability of any conventional aircraft. Then news story closed with the talking head saying it happened 50 yrs to the day from a similar incident in DC in 1952.

Sound's cool :D! I'm glad I'm not the only one who believes in that sorta stuff :happy:!

PENDO!

Jargo
07-28-2002, 08:57 AM
It's a nice idea to go knock on the door of the apartment that plays loud music and waltz in and start dancing and suddenly realise that there's a bullet lodged in your cranium where there wasn't one before and suddenly the floor is under the side of your head and you're lying in a pool of blood that's getting bigger and bigger as you get weaker and weaker.........

Stupid advice.

And the presence of a bloody great meteor headed ona collision course says to me that God either doesn't give a rats patooey about anything but himself or more as I personally believe, he don't exist.

darthvyn
07-28-2002, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Lowly Bantha Cleaner
No one saw a blue light. It was just a weather balloon, plain and simple.

Just like the other 15,000 UFO sightings that have occured all over the world in recent years. All weather balloons.

Now move along . . .

naw, man what you saw was some, uh, swamp gas, and it um reflected the light from the third moon of venus. yeah, that's the ticket...

scruffziller
07-29-2002, 08:15 AM
It has been for the last 2000 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!