PDA

View Full Version : Chewie Death

thespar
07-25-2002, 05:28 PM
How many of other people are upset :cry: with death of chewie. i can not belive gl aloud this to happen.:eek:

master jedi
07-25-2002, 05:53 PM
I can't believe anything that happens in the New Jedi Order books. The author is just messing everything up.

Beast
07-25-2002, 05:55 PM
Yeah, if they really wanted to kill a charecter off they should have killed Leia off. That way Han can still moarn for someone, but afterwards he can get back to being the charming rogue again. Not the poor whipped Mr. Mom he turned into after he married Princess Leia and they had kids. :p :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Bel-Cam Jos
07-26-2002, 12:00 AM
Chewie?!? Dead? DEAD?!? What? :eek: Post this as a spoiler, please! :mad:

(Kidding! I just wanted to be the first to say it! :p )

Was I "upset?" No. Was I shocked? Kinda. Was I disappointed how Chewbacca died? Yes. Too over-the-top and overly-dramatically heroic, for me.

Eternal Padawan
07-26-2002, 04:48 PM
Thank the maker they killed off the babysittin furball. I hope Lando, Han and Leia get whacked before the end of the series, too.

And Luke goes off to live hermit like for twenty years.

And then they can bring back Anakin (he's NOT DEAD!) as some kind of messed up half machine dark Jedi that has to wail on his siblings and flip out and chop off heads with a lightsaber! WEEEEEEEEEEE! Talkin' 'bout REAL ultimate power!!!

ROLLO!

Pendo
07-27-2002, 11:02 AM
I can't understand WHY they killed him! I know it was an heroic death, how we all imagine our heros to die, but I don't think it should have happened!
Chewie wasn't even one of my favourite characters but I was still shocked by his death.

PENDO!

El Chuxter
07-27-2002, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Pendo
Chewie wasn't even one of my favourite characters but I was still shocked by his death.

I think that was the point of it. Whether you agree with the NJO doctrine of "destroy everything that's sacred to SW fans" or not, you have to agree that in the previous novels, there was no real sense of danger. Of the movie characters, only Dengar and Crix Madine died, and Dengar was later said to have been an impostor. Which makes the (Rogue II: Jedi Academy trilogy spoiler ahead! :)) "is Luke dead" cliffhanger at the end of Dark Apprentice ludicrous.

Whereas now, whenever any character (outside of maybe Luke, Leia, and Han, who are sacred to George and will probably live eternally) gets into the slightest smidgeon of danger, everyone holds their breath.

Beast
07-27-2002, 08:54 PM
I don't think Lucas will ever allow them to kill R2-D2. It's his favorite charecter after all. He'll still be saving the day after all the other classic Star Wars charecters have died and turned to dust. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rogue II
07-27-2002, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the warning El Chuxter!:D

Things like this are why I've haven't read many books that take place after ROTJ. Actually I just looked at my bookshelf. The only post-ROTJ I've completed are the Zahn trilogy. I finished just about all of the Tales from....., Splinter of the Minds Eye, and the first book of the Han Solo Trilgoy(Just started book 2 this week).

I've been shying away from the post-ROTJ books. I'm not sure why. I guess I'm afraid of things like Chewie's death, Luke getting wierd, and stuff like that. Basically, I think it kinda kills the "Happily ever after" ending. Obviously, I will run out of pre-ROTJ books and will have to venture beyond it. I'll be looking for suggestions later.:D

Nexu
07-28-2002, 12:48 AM
I don't like EU. But, I like the comic that tells stories of Chewie from a bunch of different characters POV's.

JASON!

rynobot
07-28-2002, 01:26 AM
what is this ROLLO? My mother told me that my dog said ROLLO, but I don't even know what it means.

Nexu
07-28-2002, 01:43 AM
Rollo Tomassi. His old user-name.

rynobot
07-28-2002, 01:50 AM
still doesn't answer why my dog said it.

Nexu
07-28-2002, 01:52 AM
:confused:

Janzeke Khan
07-28-2002, 02:31 AM
Man, I found out Chewie died while reading Jaina's Bio on starwars.com, and I was moarning his death for a week:( . He was a key character you know there from the begining:cry: , I don't understand why they would kill a main char like that. I don't know how he died but couldn't he just have lost an Arm or somthing? :mad: :confused:

Eternal Padawan
07-28-2002, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by rynobot
what is this ROLLO? My mother told me that my dog said ROLLO, but I don't even know what it means.

He was tryin* to say "I love you." but do*s have trouble speakin*.

Janzeke Khan, I found out Chewie was dead from a blurb in Entertainment Weekly, it kind of ruined the book for me, so I held off readin* the NJO books until the second hardcover came out.

ROLLO!

Jason B
07-28-2002, 02:56 PM
What is it with replacing the * with an *?

Pendo
07-30-2002, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Jason B
What is it with replacing the * with an *?

The letter G was accidently added to the censor list, so whenever anyone typed the letter it would come out as a *! It should be fixed now but chech out this thread (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12854).

PENDO!

QLD
08-02-2002, 01:40 AM
I think EP summed it up the best. Chewie had become a useless character. All he did was babysit the kids. Uh-oh....the kids are grown up....NOW WHAT? Just kill em! I thought it was an excellent way to go forward, as it does make you wonder each book now, what IS going to happen.

But EP, kill Lando......now THAT is blasphemy. Lando is REAL ULTIMATE POWER!!!!!!!!!

I love Lando with my entire body.....even my p......errr......HEART! Yeah, that's it!

2-1B
06-24-2006, 11:21 PM
Sorry Pendo but I don't see anything heroic in having a planet dropped on the Wookiee. :crazed:

Caesar!

jjreason
06-27-2006, 08:11 PM
I read this book just to read that scene - and I felt it was done in a very "Marvel Comics" way. I would not be surprised to find out the big lug had somehow gotten out of that scrape.

I think I'm going to go ahead and start a "Bring back Chewie" petition! :D

Bel-Cam Jos
06-28-2006, 11:46 AM
I read this book just to read that scene - and I felt it was done in a very "Marvel Comics" way. I would not be surprised to find out the big lug had somehow gotten out of that scrape.

I think I'm going to go ahead and start a "Bring back Chewie" petition! :DTechnically, they already have. The thing about the SW EU is that now that the 6 films are done, holes in the continuity can be filled in. Tatooine Ghost was published after Vector Prime, even though the story occurred before VP, and Chewie was mentioned.

pbarnard
06-28-2006, 12:42 PM
5 years late...

If you haven't read the next chapter, Eulogy for a Friend, than you may or may not get why it was done. Essentially something had to change and make it personal for the core characters. Essentially, some one had to die for the other characters to grow. It's easiest to kill the one who's next to impossible to write dialogue for than one who actually speaks.

Plus read on into the later books in the story. Everyone points out to Han that this is the way Chewie chose to go because of the life debt he had with Solo.

I wouldn't be suprised in the next story arc, Betrayal that some major character dies yet again towards the end which would help precipitate the Galactic Alliance's downfall into the events of Legacy.

And he's not coming back into the plot (books/comics set earlier are free to use him).

El Chuxter
02-10-2013, 06:35 PM
"Chewy Death" would be a great name for a heavy metal band.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-11-2013, 02:46 PM
Or a terrible way for a cookie eater to go. :dead:

Tycho
02-27-2013, 09:52 AM
Now we will find out if the eu counts if Chewie stays dead in E7

OC47150
03-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Interesting point. I hadn't thought of it that way.