PDA

View Full Version : Insider October?

stillakid
07-25-2002, 06:23 PM
This is more of a general magazine publishing question. Why do some magazines, like the latest issue of the Insider, come as the October issue even though it's only July? Why the enormous lead time on the cover date? It seems particularly silly when the information in it is several months late. If anything, it should be "dated" as being the late May or early June issue based on the contents.

Can anyone familiar with the magazine publishing end of things shed some light on this? Thanks.

Mandalorian Candidat
07-25-2002, 06:28 PM
I always assumed that a magazine dated a particular month was released in the month before that date. For example, I always get National Geographic about 1-2 weeks in the mail before the month that particular issue pertains too. I also get scientific journals given a specific date, but that date is when it is released (shipped).

I bet this is something particular to the Fan Club. They don't seem to have their heads screwed on the right way, so what's releasing the Oct. in July, about three months early to them?

Lobito
07-25-2002, 06:34 PM
Yep, this also happens in comics, this is a question i have been curious for a loooong time. Its not like we want the magazines or comics like the newspapers, but whats the deal??

Beast
07-25-2002, 06:36 PM
Actually, from what I understand the month listed on the magazine is when the stores are supposed to take the magazine off the shelves. The Insider just stays on the shelves longer then most magazines since the issues arn't monthly. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
07-25-2002, 06:43 PM
So it's a "stay's fresh until this date" warning? :)

Beast
07-25-2002, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
So it's a "stay's fresh until this date" warning? :)
Pretty much, yeah. That's why you don't see old magazines sitting around in stores. It helps keep things tidy. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DeadEye
07-25-2002, 08:01 PM
BTW, why the hell does the Insider take so long to come out? It's supposed to be a bi-monthly magazine, yes? Coming out every 2 months, yes? Then why the hell are we only just getting the issue with Darth Vader on the cover around here?

QLD
07-25-2002, 08:21 PM
Insider October? I plan on being Insider all year long!

:D